Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Officialsky Witcherovda 2 Impressiovna Threadskaia

MapMan

Arcane
I don't understand why people complain about the dragon fight. It's really easy, even on hard difficulty. All you have to do is hit him with RMB, roll away, repeat. Sure, if you just stand around and wait for him to hit then you're gonna die quickly. Derp.

Phelot

Arcane
Yeah, that was a dumb choice. At least in FO1 you get that cool cutscene of the PC getting dipped and the super mutants invading.

Now, if making that choice somehow dicked you over royally later on in the game? THAT would be impressive.

FatCat

Educated
MapMan said:
I don't understand why people complain about the dragon fight. It's really easy, even on hard difficulty. All you have to do is hit him with RMB, roll away, repeat. Sure, if you just stand around and wait for him to hit then you're gonna die quickly. Derp.

or simply use quen

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
The parrot stays. :M

phelot said:
Yeah, that was a dumb choice. At least in FO1 you get that cool cutscene of the PC getting dipped and the super mutants invading.

Now, if making that choice somehow dicked you over royally later on in the game? THAT would be impressive.

You get a cool cutscene where Geralt and Zoltan get full of le... arrows.

Yeah, that would be impressive. Like importing a TW1 save where you killed the grandmaster and now in Loc the knights want to kill you for it, if you don't have the Broche with you.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
MapMan said:

Turn-based combat :smug:

anus_pounder

Arcane
Havoc said:
"the choices that are there must fit in the story's flow without disrupting things too much"

I know there's a choice that you can die, because of it. You chose to insult a guy who has bowmen aimed their bows at you... you die. That's a nice flow... to the grave. :M

What? Where, when? Video!

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
flushfire said:
The courtyard fight right at the beginning was extremely frustrating. It was tedious trying to be careful all the time. And I did die a lot.
You start the game with 5 samum bombs. Those 5 bombs are enough to kill them all, don't even need to actually fight.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Nifty. Are there any other game over options? I remember someone said you could get executed at the start of the game if you refused the BROche.

made

Arcane
Another in act 1, when you piss off Loredo his guards track you down and shoot you unless you bribe them.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
By the way Vince, the boxing-quest you accused of being simple reward-or-not: If you don't accept the offer from him, he will send thugs after you.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
By the time I did that quest, those two thugs I encountered who said "greetings from Loredo" were piss easy though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
JarlFrank said:
By the time I did that quest, those two thugs I encountered who said "greetings from Loredo" were piss easy though.

Bbecause there is no level-scaling :smug:

I dunno, it just voids VD's argument in the case.

Phelot

Arcane
The game over choices are dumb, though, you all have to admit. I mean, you can face a shit ton of enemies and kill them with ease, but for some reason a few scripted events give you no choice, but to get a game over screen. They just shouldn't have had the choice at all if that's the end result.

made

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
It's how the "you'll regret this!" threats usually end up in RPGs - in a trivial fight you don't waste another thought on. That's why I found TW2's insta-death scenes refreshing, even if they are pretty lame from a gameplay standpoint.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
phelot said:
The game over choices are dumb, though, you all have to admit. I mean, you can face a shit ton of enemies and kill them with ease, but for some reason a few scripted events give you no choice, but to get a game over screen. They just shouldn't have had the choice at all if that's the end result.

Yea. My character has 400 Hit Points and an elven arrow does only 10 damage! How can 20 arrows in the gut kill me? It's only half of my HP! Fucking game sucks! :x

Phelot

Arcane
Havoc said:
phelot said:

Yea. My character has 400 Hit Points and an elven arrow does only 10 damage! How can 20 arrows in the gut kill me? It's only half of my HP! Fucking game sucks! :x

It's arbitrary. In other scenes, we see Geralt doing OMGAWESOME moves that dodge shit, knock people out, etc etc. but randomly pick the wrong choice and you're dead by default. Shouldn't have been in the game.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Maybe... but it's still different that being aimed at by 20 or so archers, who mind you are the best ones (elves and shit, I mean Iorveth).

flushfire

Augur
VentilatorOfDoom said:
flushfire said:
The courtyard fight right at the beginning was extremely frustrating. It was tedious trying to be careful all the time. And I did die a lot.
You start the game with 5 samum bombs. Those 5 bombs are enough to kill them all, don't even need to actually fight.
Yes i realize it's my own fault it was frustrating. I didn't learn how to use axii properly at the time. I wanted to "brute-force" my way thru so to speak. But what I described as tedious was getting to level 10 without Quen nor skill points. If I remember correctly that's entire chapter 1. I guess it wouldn't be as tedious if I used quen too. Maybe when I play the game again.

All I'm trying to say is that while it is possible to go thru majority of the game without any investment in skill points, it wouldn't be "without breaking a sweat" easy not esp. if you die more than once. Maybe you and VD are more patient, I just am not. I tried it without prior knowledge of encounters and some like wraiths in a small room got me. IMHO, if you have to be careful all the time, or you have to roll away and run around til you separate enemies or to recharge vigor, it is tedious.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
flushfire said:
All I'm trying to say is that while it is possible to go thru majority of the game without any investment in skill points, it wouldn't be "without breaking a sweat" easy not esp. if you die more than once. Maybe you and VD are more patient, I just am not. I tried it without prior knowledge of encounters and some like wraiths in a small room got me. IMHO, if you have to be careful all the time, or you have to roll away and run around til you separate enemies or to recharge vigor, it is tedious.
If you die more than once, or have to be careful, or have to take care that you don't get cornered, or have to use some resources like potions/bombs/oils - basically, if you can't stomp over everything with zero effort then the combat is tedious? Holy shit.

Dying 4 times in total in chapter 1 is nothing and certainly not tedious. Of course I had knowledge of the encounters. During the Malena quest, for instance, you go into a cave and get swarmed by Nekkers at the entry. I knew that, so I used a dragondream bomb + one of the firebombs resulting in some sort of incendiary cloud. They burned. They died. Where's the tedium?

Were it not for the 2 sequences were you have to fight with a ghost, I bet you could finish even the rest of the game with expending exactly 1 skillpoint, so you can use throwing weapons. One thing is obvious: this is not a well-designed character system. Not that the skills aren't interesting, they just matter too little. TW1 was far better in that regard.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Anyone got the instant kill counter attack to work? I assume countering at the exact moment that sword icon lights up on the enemy kills them instantly, but for the love of me I've never managed to react that fast.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
anus_pounder said:
Anyone got the instant kill counter attack to work? I assume countering at the exact moment that sword icon lights up on the enemy kills them instantly, but for the love of me I've never managed to react that fast.

It's up for like forever. You just press X on your keyboard and it activates.

EDIT: Oh, the counter-attack. Dunno.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom