Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Officialsky Witcherovda 2 Impressiovna Threadskaia

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Mrowak said:
I wouldn't call the choices fake. Ther's choice, and there's consequence. So what the consequence does not hold the significance you wanted it to have? Certainly, the fact that you can't contact Squirrels earlier it is kind of disappointing but things like that to be expected from a heavily story-driven game. I would argue that there was not a single C&C heavy game in existence boasting the level of the narrative half as high as TW2. In order to achieve that some concessions had to be made.

Also the fake choices would be Bioware Mass Effect style: 'you have two options but one outcome', or jRPG style: '-You must carry out this task. -No. -But you must! -No! -Ok, I'm glad you saw the things our way. -Bugger'.
Story driven? That just an excuse. The game have been hyped as C&C heavy. That's why I expected more choices with real consequences from it. I'm about to start ch.2, on the path of the elves, so I guess it will feel better in that regard for now.
Still, ch.1 was, barring it's very ending, completly linear. And, in the Roache path, I remember one dialog "decision": 'you have three options but one outcome'
when that dragon killer asked me to join her, to switch sides. IIRC there were three different answers, all of them accounting to "no". Simliar thing, when Helseth wanted me to become his bodyguard. I could choose "No way!", or "Sorry, your majesty, but no", something like that.
Come to think about it, there was really nothing at all, in the Helseth's camp, that could have been done differently.
Oh well, I could choose to bang soldier girl or not
Really, TW1 had more choices.

Well, maybe "completly linear" is overstatement. The quests can be done in different order there is some nice exploration and stuff, etc, but the final outcome is always the same.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finished the game. Ending is ok - nothing special, but better than that of the first one's. Probably because the overall plot is better.

It's a pretty good action-adventure-RPG hybrid. I've had about as much fun with it as with the first one, but as it's much shorter, I might try to play it again at some time, to see the alternate path. Not immediately, though.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Mrowak said:
RK47 said:
I finished the game. It's not bad. Definitely going back for another run. Roche is such an easy choice for me. Also, felt invulnerable in the end game. There's simply nothing stopping Vigra / Swallow / Gadwall combo and 35 Armor-clad Geralt. You toss in a Quen right there and he can't be killed.

Sword is topped for the adrenaline build. Focusing on dmg reductions , HP and finisher unlock.
Magic is Quen Rank 2. Everything else is gravy. Aard isn't bad.
Alchemy for Potion Effectiveness bonus. Broke the game somehow.

Rerunning for Iorveth.

:salute: Well-made game...a little rough in the edge, but that's to be expected...

I am currently working on rebalancing the game i.e. making it harder.

If you are interested in a more challenging second run here's the second version of the patch above:

TW2RebalanceV2.7z - 38.8 Kb

After patch 1.2 prologue is a piece of cake. I made sure it is challenging and fun again. The same with Act1. The changes in equipment and nerfed Quen make should Acts 2 and 3 a more of a challenge as well (at least it made the battle of Vergen). You might want to use the advanced save imported equipment at the start of the game though. You can get the save file from here:

000127 - Order of the Flaming Rose-127.rar - 4.0 Mb

TW1 Neutral Path.

Could not get it from your link...perhaps try mediafire instead?

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
RK47 said:
Mrowak said:
RK47 said:
I finished the game. It's not bad. Definitely going back for another run. Roche is such an easy choice for me. Also, felt invulnerable in the end game. There's simply nothing stopping Vigra / Swallow / Gadwall combo and 35 Armor-clad Geralt. You toss in a Quen right there and he can't be killed.

Sword is topped for the adrenaline build. Focusing on dmg reductions , HP and finisher unlock.
Magic is Quen Rank 2. Everything else is gravy. Aard isn't bad.
Alchemy for Potion Effectiveness bonus. Broke the game somehow.

Rerunning for Iorveth.

:salute: Well-made game...a little rough in the edge, but that's to be expected...

I am currently working on rebalancing the game i.e. making it harder.

If you are interested in a more challenging second run here's the second version of the patch above:

TW2RebalanceV2.7z - 38.8 Kb

After patch 1.2 prologue is a piece of cake. I made sure it is challenging and fun again. The same with Act1. The changes in equipment and nerfed Quen make should Acts 2 and 3 a more of a challenge as well (at least it made the battle of Vergen). You might want to use the advanced save imported equipment at the start of the game though. You can get the save file from here:

000127 - Order of the Flaming Rose-127.rar - 4.0 Mb

TW1 Neutral Path.

Could not get it from your link...perhaps try mediafire instead?

Hmm... that's strange. It works fine for me. Are you getting any error while downloading the file or is the archive itself damaged?

Anyway, here are the links from mediafire:

TW2RebalanceV2.7z

000127 - Order of the Flaming Rose-127.rar

Edit: Btw, there's another difficulty mod that appeared just yesterday on witchernexus. I haven't tested it yet but it looks promising:

Make TW2 more difficult v2

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Finally completed the game. I had been playing slowly, trying to do everything there was to do, messing around a little, and it took me about 40 hours (Roche's path).
A few impressions.

First of all, NOT ENOUGH AETHER. In the act 1 only Tęgoskór/Scleroderm contains Aether, and it's rather rare. Besides that you can only buy some small quantities of Aether. Compared to other ingredients it's pitiful. During the game I was in constant Aether deficit. And for someone who specialized in alchemy it was annoying, since every bomb and many potions require Aether. So instead using bombs and traps as my main weapons I used them just as an additional weapons. The only time in the act 1 when I was able to create more bombs was just before the fight with Letho. So I made and bought more than 25 bombs and traps. With it the fight with Letho was easy. I just waited until his Quen goes down and bombarded him (with occasional trap to weaken his Quen).
In the act 2 besides Scleroderm only harpy eyes had aether, but still it was not enough. I had helluva lot of various alchemical ingredients, just waiting to be used to create stuff, and I was not able to do it in satisfying quantities because of lack of a friggin Aether, so I was forced to carry all this shit with me. I wonder if there is a way to mod the game and add more Aether.

I failed "Little sisters" quest in the act 2 and I think that it was a great example of how to present failed quests. I failed it by picking a wrong option during a dialogue, but the quest didn't end at that moment. The quest had continued, I'd even defeated a mini-boss, and when I was given information that the quest failed, I actually didn't feel that it was a failure, but just another ending (one of three, I think) to this quest and I didn't have an urge to reload and try it again. I didn't save the day? Too bad. Move along, nothing to see here. This is a good example of a failure that feels like a legitimate ending to a quest.

There was a lot of talking here that the combat gets ridiculously easy later in the game. Didn't notice that. I don't know, maybe if you specialize in magic or sword then it is super easy. But after specializing in alchemy and being forced to conserve bombs the combat wasn't that easy.

In the patch 1.2 shadows are messed up. They move when you move the camera.

Ending was good and dissapointing at the same time. It was good, because in how many games you can drink vodka with your main enemy, instead of killing him? For me this ending is more memorable than the-most-epic-battle-ever. But the ending was also disappointing, because I've expected the game to at least show ending slides summing up current situation. I think that without it those 16 endings that the devs were talking about will seem the same.

Generally, game is good and worthy of replaying (but, since during my next playthrough I will specialize in magic, I will wait for a (balanced and tested) mod that significantly weakens Quen and makes other signs much more useful). But I like TW1 more, because it was the first game since I don't remember when that immersed me so much, that I was enjoying just BEING in the game's world. TW2 didn't make me feel that way.

Quilty

Magister
I'm still stuck in chapter 1, the first town, and I have trouble mustering up the will to trudge through this. Yes, the game is gorgeous. But it's also mindbogglingly boring, mainly because the combat is so cumbersome: Geralt needs to pause and ponder the state of humanity every time I order him to do something. Auto-aim is frustrating. I'm avoiding using my inventory because its consolitis repulses me. I just dump everything that's not quest related. The journal is poorly written and doesn't feel like reading lore. It feels like reading quality fanfiction. I don't even feel invested in the story so I don't feel like continuing. I'd like to play an RPG whose action sequences don't boil down to rolling around the floor / pressing buttons during QTEs.

tl;dr: Still butthurt about the money I wasted on this turd.

What a fucking mess, that's what this game is. The combat is dumber than what you have in Diablo. There's QTE's like for example click a fuck ton times fast, click some more and clickety-click until your mouse breaks. The autosave does jack shit, you have to quicksave constantly because otherwise a QTE might kill you and throw you back to watch some more cutscenes.

Slow, unresponsive and tiresome. But with nicer graphics than before!

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Nah is just that... WE FUCKING KNOW THAT COMBAT SUCKS. Repeating this won't make you edgy or some shit. It just makes you retarded.
If it was some valid point, "why this character is acting like this or some shit"... but combat? Seriously?

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I like the combat, it does its job well enough. I'm not ignorant of good action combat - DMC 3 and God Hand are two of my favourite games - and yes, it's certainly inferior to those. But it's fun, quick and satisfying, and provides a decent enough challenge on hard.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
I like the combat, it does its job well enough. I'm not ignorant of good action combat - DMC 3 and God Hand are two of my favourite games - and yes, it's certainly inferior to those. But it's fun, quick and satisfying, and provides a decent enough challenge on hard.

:bounce:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Admiral jimbob said:
and provides a decent enough challenge on hard.

I SUCK at action-games. With Quen, the game becomes right-click-to-win. But even when I stopped using it, the damage resistance from the Warrior-path made me nigh-invulnerable. I consoled myself into a mage instead, thinking that might be more fun, but Igni/Yrden/Aaxi, depending on the challenge, killed almost everything. Vigor was never an issue.

Now I don't like action-games in general, so the fact that I think the combat sucks big-time is hardly surprising. BUT, I usually die a lot in action-games, and I can say without lying that I died a total of less than 3 times after reaching level 16 or so.

I don't know how on earth you were able to get the game to a point where it felt challenging.

RK47

Patron
I agree with the above complaints...they need to lessen the passive bonuses.

Why do I like The Witcher 2 Combat
1. I can dodge & attack with reflex. Action RPG should be more like this.
It removes the abstraction of armor classes. If you didn't block, you're hit. All the time. I like that it's very challenging to face multiple opponents at once. They pulled no punches, and use different sets of weapons like the slow and deadly two-handers, the defensive shield or archers to mix it up.

2. I need to prepare
If I didn't I would've died within seconds of leaving the safety of the first town. There's no instant heals in this game. If you didn't consume a regenerative potion before engaging in a fight, too bad, all that wound will not close on its own. The game would not allow consumption in mid-combat. Once the blades are drawn, it's just you, bombs, traps, spells and blade oils application.

3. Challenging Encounters
Very often monsters would occupy my attention from the front and I felt victory was near, until a backstab from behind at double damage would bring my health down in half. Since the perspective of the player remains fixed to where Geralt is facing..it's a very fair system where paying attention pays off. That or rolling like a paranoid maniac.

4. Trap & Combat options.

Geralt is a Fighter/Mage/Thief. Bombs, Traps, Mindtrick, Paralyze. It's all there. Combat options that didn't feel forced on you, yet still remain useful till the end game. It was quite a surprise to trap myself in game in the tutorial. An explosion trap was set...the guards rushed me, swallowing all of us in a fiery explosion. And I stared at the game over screen within seconds. Beautiful.

Why I dislike The Witcher 2 Combat:
1. Passive Skill Bonuses
Geralt should not gain 15-20% Damage Reduction just because he is level 16. In no way that is justifiable. I understand he might be undergoing severe mutations or exercise, but in no way should he deal 50% more damage with bombs or gain 150 hitpoints just because you placed a point there. He shouldn't gain more deal more damage as well (All that should've been left to the equipment). Instead, he should gain increased movement speed or unlock new move list, things that doesn't reward the players passively.

2. Slight spell imbalances.
I still cannot fathom why would I use Igni in most encounters. Other spells would've been more useful, or even a thrown dagger would be more efficient. Quen is still the premium 'Oh shit' spell. I still restrict myself to Quen at 25% health as crutch. Most high-risk battles usually rapes Geralt in 2-3 hits from behind. Why block if you can actively absorb all that damage with Quen and go on the offensive?

I'll give Mrowak patch a try...currently dying to Endregas in Chapter 1. Spamming traps like crazy helps.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Combat was ok for me. Nothing to write home about and very exploitable, but satysfying in its own way. I have eactly the same feelings over Gothic/Risen combat, except thosegames were much more challenging.

The variety of builds and inability to max out more than one skill tree allows the player to approach combat in different ways, which is good, especially in the context of replayability, as You can try out a different build, as well as alternate story path, and get a different combat experience.

I played as a fighter-mage hybrid with all the damage resistance skills maxed out, with 6 vigor Aard support. I stopped using Quen somewhere in the middle of Act I, but not because it is overpowered (which it is, btw) but because it did not suite my playstyle, requiring fast vigor regeneration.

The main complaint I have about character and skill system is that it leveling up and assigning skills doesn't really feel as progress and gaining power but more like customizing Your Geralt. Assigning points to skills randomly will not make You unable to finish the game, because Your build will suck and You won't be able to beat someone. It will just make some moments a little more challenging and/or requiring more patience to get through.

Also, I have a question:
Is Operator only available on Roche's path or have I just missed him (played Iorveth's path)?

RK47

Patron
I dislike Progress if it means extra damage or hp. It really needs Sword Style variations. Much like the first game or Jedi Knight series.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Seems you'd like Risen, RK47. Have you played it?
MicoSelva said:
Also, I have a question:
Is Operator only available on Roche's path or have I just missed him (played Iorveth's path)?
I'm guessing it's only on Roche's patch because I missed that fight too.

made

Arcane
One major downside of Quen is that vigor doesn't regen while it's up, so if you're trying to play a fireball-spamming "mage Geralt" with all the vigor regen talents and potions (what I did) having Quen up constantly is counter productive. I died lots if I wasn't super careful, even in chapter 3 to the gargoyles and golems.

DS3 combat in comparison, which is really quite similar to TW2, feels a lot easier to me because it's a bit more responsive and enemies don't parry/stagger you when you spam attack them, but also because you have a tank in your party (Lucas) to keep aggro so you don't get surrounded so easily.

Havoc said:
Nah is just that... WE FUCKING KNOW THAT COMBAT SUCKS. Repeating this won't make you edgy or some shit. It just makes you retarded.
If it was some valid point, "why this character is acting like this or some shit"... but combat? Seriously?

Well excuse me, I didn't know this was a lalala thread where we don't talk about Twitcher 2. That is, why it sucks.

RK47

Patron
I haven't tried Risen yet. Maybe it's worth a look after I drained everything out of Witcher 2.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Excidium said:
Seems you'd like Risen, RK47. Have you played it?
MicoSelva said:
Also, I have a question:
I'm guessing it's only on Roche's patch because I missed that fight too.

Actually it is also available in Iorveth's path. However, the quest that leads to the encounter with the operator is netted to one of the subquests in Roche's path. If you didn't pick one you had no idea the other existed. Still, if you know where to go in Iorveth's route and how to solve a riddle you can trigger the operator's quest.

Lame, I know :(

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Havoc said:

Well excuse me, I didn't know this was a lalala thread where we don't talk about Twitcher 2. That is, why it sucks.

Don't mind Havoc. He takes criticism against The Witcher 2 personally - very passive-aggressive, that one. I fucking love the game, but it's still mildly amusing to watch Havoc's vein pop whenever someone criticizes the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom