Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Officialsky Witcherovda 2 Impressiovna Threadskaia

Deleted member 7219

asper said:
Just dumping some of my annoyances with the game --

Goddamn, I don't see what I get when someone gives me something! The message either fades quickly, is obscured by something, or doesn't appear at all. That is just SO BAD. Same goes for amounts of earned XP when finishing a quest. GRR

If you open your inventory and select the 'all items' tab, the most recent items you have received will be at the top of the list.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
1eyedking said:
Toffeli said:
Most of us never cared about Yahtzee's opinions, but at least his rants were humorous.

Problem is, he's not funny anymore. In fact he sounds plain bored and tired of his job.

Yep. I think I put up with him longer than most - maybe until about the start of this year - but he's just become utterly tiresome at this point. Sure, these people are usually only funny when you agree with them, but even when he reviews shit like Brink he just sounds like a whining, bored GameFAQs poster. Can't see him lasting until Christmas, and good riddance.

EDIT: playing further, my performance is a little wonky. Anytime I look around in Flotsam, it lags a bit, and generally clunks a bit on entering new areas for longer than I've liked. I've only just got my 6870, so I've yet to configure the drivers at all - is that a necessity with ATi? On the other hand, turning off motion blur/bloom doesn't seem to have any real effect, and once the area's loaded (other than Flotsam center) it runs as smooth as SMA's taint; thus, I'm tempted to blame my slightly creaky 4GB RAM. Which would be more comforting.

I've also heard that the 1.2 patch causes people to have performance problems after a while in-game. I'll happily blame that too.

Silky smooth here, on 5770, with these settings. Though, granted, it's just 1280x1024 (my backup monitor sucks). :oops:

Given the absolute gorgeousness of the game, I'm really surprised with its good performance, to be honest. Especially, on my kinda-low-end card and 4 y.o. PC. This is one thing I can commend CDPR for with no reservations. :thumbsup:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
:( Chapter 2 kinda sucked. I've been gaining level up without making an effort. Was lvl 20 after doing the 'epic fetch' quest chain. Seems like the game stopped being challenging somehow.

KingofRPGfaggotry

Barely Literate
RPGs > Twitcher series
haughty.png

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
RK47 said:
:( Chapter 2 kinda sucked. I've been gaining level up without making an effort. Was lvl 20 after doing the 'epic fetch' quest chain. Seems like the game stopped being challenging somehow.
Yes. This. I somehow got to level 29 without noticing. Got to spend 7 skillpoints at once and am now pretty much indestructible as everyone deals 'minimal damage'.

Admiral jimbob said:
EDIT: playing further, my performance is a little wonky. Anytime I look around in Flotsam, it lags a bit, and generally clunks a bit on entering new areas for longer than I've liked. I've only just got my 6870, so I've yet to configure the drivers at all - is that a necessity with ATi? On the other hand, turning off motion blur/bloom doesn't seem to have any real effect, and once the area's loaded (other than Flotsam center) it runs as smooth as SMA's taint; thus, I'm tempted to blame my slightly creaky 4GB RAM. Which would be more comforting.

I've also heard that the 1.2 patch causes people to have performance problems after a while in-game. I'll happily blame that too.
Flotsam requires more CPU from the game than the forest (more characters moving around), so it could be CPU performance problem. Just wait for the battles of Act II...
My Q6600 @ 3.06 Ghz manages, but I had to provide additional cooling as it overheated when too many characters were in vicinity. I should probably adjust the cooler as one of the cores has significantly higher temperature than the others.

Novice
MicoSelva said:
My Q6600 @ 3.06 Ghz manages, but I had to provide additional cooling as it overheated when too many characters were in vicinity. I should probably adjust the cooler as one of the cores has significantly higher temperature than the others.

This could have been caused by the fact Twitcher2 engine isn't as much multi-core oriented as you might believe. Therefore it is pretty normal one core will be much more stressed than remaining ones.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
That may be true, but that core gets more heated in other situations too, so the cooler probably needs adjusting anyway.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Storyfag said:
Guise, any chance for a Twitcher 1 savegame out there? Order path with saving Adda is what I need. Aerondight, a Mahakaman Rune Sihill and a romance with Triss would be cool too.
the gamefaqs boards have a thread with collected saves. try there.

RK47

Patron
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/829607/000049.rar

That's my save. Aerondight + Saved Adda
Order faction selected except, I chose the nurse instead. Made little difference in the end since Geralt banged Triss within 2 minutes of game. :lol: Was very disappointed it did not matter.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
RK47 said:

Order faction selected except, I chose the nurse instead. Made little difference in the end since Geralt banged Triss within 2 minutes of game. :lol: Was very disappointed it did not matter.

Thanks bro!

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Ok, bros. Since yesterday I've been toying around TW2 XML files to see how much I can rebalance the game. This is the result of my endeavour:

RebalanceTW2.7z - 28.9 Kb

To be frank I build this modification upon:

Better Combat Mod
CEO - Complete Equipment Overhaul

I simply saw no reason to do the job someone else had already done.

The modification encompasses all the fixes from these two mods plus the following:

Various modifications to player's initial parametres including lower damage output, hp, hp and vigour regen etc. Now fighting against common soldiers/monsters should prove more challenging, especially farther into the game. Tip: try striking them from behind for extra damage.

Weaker huge boss monsters: draug and the dragon. This is because the CEO mod lowers parametres of your weapons and armour. Significantly. However, it does not nothing to change the hp and damage resistance of those creatures. As a result the fights with them drag forever, not to mention are uber-difficult and annoying. I lowered the bosses' resistances and hp as well toned a bit their attacks. Now, in spite of you having worse weapons and lower armour class the monsters should be manageable. I checked it myself. You can win those fights with some healthy struggle if you know what you are doing. Played on Hard.

Nerfed Quen. Quen works as before. However, even in its highest form it can withstand one attack only. After that it dissipiates and you have to cast a new shield. I also lowered the damage its shockwaves produce upon you getting hit. Add to this lowered vigour regeneration in combat and I think I limited its impact on the bettlefield albeit not usefulness - I still found myself casting it more often than any other sign. :(

Installation:

Just put all the folders (abilities, items and globals) from the archive into CookedPC folder of your TW2 installation.

For the sake of making myself clear so that dumbfucks can understand me it should look like this:

G:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\The Witcher 2\CookedPC\abilities
G:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\The Witcher 2\CookedPC\globals
G:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\The Witcher 2\CookedPC\items

The files placed there will take priority over default ones.

Known issues:

The bosses hp fix will take its full effect only if you load the save in which the monsters haven't been loaded onto the map. This means, you must reload the game from the save before they appear in the location e.g. before entering cursed battlefield or before the events at the summit in act 3 (not, not later. If the dragon already flies on the map when you load the save it will be 'bugged'). Else, the monsters will have their original hp,(but curiously not damage reduction). There's nothing like fighting 2000hp dragon when you can deal max 60hp of damage with your meagre strong attack.

The CEO mod changes a lot in the items including the slots for armour enhancemets and runes. This unfortunately means that any runes/enhancements you used up previously will likely disappear. No fix for that, bros. :(

Anyone knows how to get to hardcoded stuff? I really would like to change, for instance - the way Quen works e.g. make it so it blocks a fraction of damage, not 100%. I am too stupid not tech savvy enough to get there, unfortunately :(

I would appreciate you feedback, and requests. Tell me what should be done to make fighting more difficult without resorting to cheese.

Disclaimer: As you can see, I merely added a few minor touches from myself and tried to rebalance the boss battles a bit. Most of the work was done by Lautreamont and Kindo, the authors of 'Better Combat' and 'CEO - Complete Equipment Overhaul' mods respectively. Thus, most of the credit should go to them.

anus_pounder

Arcane
RK47 said:

Damn, now I have to replay Witcher 2 with your save in case the nurse returns in part 3. :x

RK47

Patron
I wouldn't count on it...I'm nearly past chapter 2 and still no mention of her at all. It was really forgotten and regarded as non-canon. It really doesn't make sense for Geralt to do it with Triss right at the start when she was especially cold to me in TW1 upon returning to Vizima.

Oh yeah, wonderful alchemy design right there, drink the potion before a perceived epic battle with a ghost army, only to have myself gaining control of some....undead soldiers...with no ability to roll.

This segment is completely pointless. The basic block and strike move is barely adequate to put the fun in combat. It should've been a cinematic. It was exceptionally pointless when I control the supposedly legendary Kaedweni hero only to discover he's just some generic dude with the same limited move list.

After all the mini-game....and FINALLY I regained control of Geralt...with all his potions durations wore off, and I am unable to meditate for a boss fight. OK no problem, the mini boss was easy...then...the big bad appeared, where Geralt just stood like a retard, with his sword sheated, barely a metre away from the behemoth with the 2 human-tall greatsword . :x Thank god I'm Quen specced.

Oh. Either my sound card is botched or something but that particular big bad fight had poor feedback. I was confused on the proper tactic to face the dude because nothing seems to stagger him like any other encounters I've had...Yrden didn't trap him. Igni barely scratched him. Daggers not really causing a stagger...then I stopped paying attention to the animation and looked at his health bar and combat log instead.

It's moving. Jesus. This is the sort of feedback I need to pay attention to? In the end I stopped caring about his animation and just Quen-Heavy Slash spammed him to death.

Wish they improved that fight.

Story: Well, stuff happens; let's see how it turns out
Gameplay: Click, click, click, reload / alternatively: click, click, click, save
Sex: Really, it's not that embarrassing in reality
Graphics: Awesomely detailed, yet really fucked up by shadow stuff, which makes everything look like software rendering plus sharpening filter plus half-asses cell shading, ergo epic fail, ergo the tragic sound of could-have-been
Characters: If male: Your cock's smaller than mine!!111 / alternatively: Brothel, anyone?
If female: My breasts are too big for my dress, so please rescue me!

All in all quite OK a game, but, really, I'm not sure what to think about it.

RK47

Patron
I finished the game. It's not bad. Definitely going back for another run. Roche is such an easy choice for me. Also, felt invulnerable in the end game. There's simply nothing stopping Vigra / Swallow / Gadwall combo and 35 Armor-clad Geralt. You toss in a Quen right there and he can't be killed.

Sword is topped for the adrenaline build. Focusing on dmg reductions , HP and finisher unlock.
Magic is Quen Rank 2. Everything else is gravy. Aard isn't bad.
Alchemy for Potion Effectiveness bonus. Broke the game somehow.

Rerunning for Iorveth.

:salute: Well-made game...a little rough in the edge, but that's to be expected...

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It is a good game, great even, but the choices are indeed fake. I have tried my best to make Chapter 1 play differently, and, till it's very end, it is impossible. That kayran trap, I did not build it in my first playthrough, it will not let you kill the boss creature on your own, without the female mage. Also, I covered up for the elf girl this time, and no, it will not let me contact Squirrels any earlier, you have to wait till the game decides it is time to end the chapter. The loony bin quest's endings seems to have no consequences whatsoever. There is no way to end the fight with the fat guy any differently, and you cannot prevent certain abduction, whatever you do. Now I seriously doubt, that there will be any way at all to free the abductee, before the Chapter 3 that is. It is as linear as it gets.

Mrowak

Arcane
RK47 said:
I finished the game. It's not bad. Definitely going back for another run. Roche is such an easy choice for me. Also, felt invulnerable in the end game. There's simply nothing stopping Vigra / Swallow / Gadwall combo and 35 Armor-clad Geralt. You toss in a Quen right there and he can't be killed.

Sword is topped for the adrenaline build. Focusing on dmg reductions , HP and finisher unlock.
Magic is Quen Rank 2. Everything else is gravy. Aard isn't bad.
Alchemy for Potion Effectiveness bonus. Broke the game somehow.

Rerunning for Iorveth.

:salute: Well-made game...a little rough in the edge, but that's to be expected...

I am currently working on rebalancing the game i.e. making it harder.

If you are interested in a more challenging second run here's the second version of the patch above:

TW2RebalanceV2.7z - 38.8 Kb

After patch 1.2 prologue is a piece of cake. I made sure it is challenging and fun again. The same with Act1. The changes in equipment and nerfed Quen make should Acts 2 and 3 a more of a challenge as well (at least it made the battle of Vergen). You might want to use the advanced save imported equipment at the start of the game though. You can get the save file from here:

000127 - Order of the Flaming Rose-127.rar - 4.0 Mb

TW1 Neutral Path.

Mrowak

Arcane
Gordon Freeman said:
It is a good game, great even, but the choices are indeed fake. I have tried my best to make Chapter 1 play differently, and, till it's very end, it is impossible. That kayran trap, I did not build it in my first playthrough, it will not let you kill the boss creature on your own, without the female mage. Also, I covered up for the elf girl this time, and no, it will not let me contact Squirrels any earlier, you have to wait till the game decides it is time to end the chapter. The loony bin quest's endings seems to have no consequences whatsoever. There is no way to end the fight with the fat guy any differently, and you cannot prevent certain abduction, whatever you do. Now I seriously doubt, that there will be any way at all to free the abductee, before the Chapter 3 that is. It is as linear as it gets.

I wouldn't call the choices fake. Ther's choice, and there's consequence. So what the consequence does not hold the significance you wanted it to have? Certainly, the fact that you can't contact Squirrels earlier it is kind of disappointing but things like that to be expected from a heavily story-driven game. I would argue that there was not a single C&C heavy game in existence boasting the level of the narrative half as high as TW2. In order to achieve that some concessions had to be made.

Also the fake choices would be Bioware Mass Effect style: 'you have two options but one outcome', or jRPG style: '-You must carry out this task. -No. -But you must! -No! -Ok, I'm glad you saw the things our way. -Bugger'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom