Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Officialsky Witcherovda 2 Impressiovna Threadskaia

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
DraQ said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Monocause said:
proper TW2 gameplay - ie. leaping, slashing, maiming, killing,
You mean mashing the button furiously and hitting spacebar at random intervals? Exactly, that's the proper TW2 gameplay.
[intelligence] So you say that dying constantly is proper TW2 gameplay?

[Perception] But you cannot die when you spam the spacebar

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
DraQ said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Monocause said:
You mean mashing the button furiously and hitting spacebar at random intervals? Exactly, that's the proper TW2 gameplay.

Are you calling me a liar, pancake? Like Moncause did when he "called bullshit" on this whole "you don't need to spend your skillpoints" thing? Maybe you should try it and see for yourself.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
VentilatorOfDoom said:
DraQ said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Monocause said:

Are you calling me a liar, pancake? Like Moncause did when he "called bullshit" on this whole "you don't need to spend your skillpoints" thing? Maybe you should try it and see for yourself.

@DraQ

VoD is right. Tested it myself. Without modding shit you can cheese the game almost all the way to act 3. Unfortunately, TW2 is very cheese-vulnerable. The fact that the skills you get work in "let's reduce the obstacle", and not like "let's add a new ability whose thoughtful usage in conjunction with others will be required to win" hurts the gameplay. TW2 is piss poor easy. Play Way of the Samurai games and compare.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
But to be honest the whole combat experience was better with not spending skillpoints. Becasue it was moderately challenging then. I mean it's kinda shitty that you can't level up anything etc but the combat itself was more fun. Also, you don't need to "cheese" the game. Unless using red fog or fire bombs every now and then or using the spacebar when appropriate counts as cheesing.

DraQ

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Maybe you should try it and see for yourself.
I wouldn't call you out on your bullshit if I didn't play the game all the way through.

Random mashing *will* get you killed. In about 2s on normal, 1s on hard.

As for dodging or whatever space controls with default bindings, you can still be hit while dodging and if you are, you'll often be hit in the back.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
If random mashing would win the game, then there would be less rage among the casual players. I've personally witnessed my own cousin, in his early 30s giving up on the game because it was too hard even on easy.

I wouldn't call using Quen will win the game automatically, but really, it requires more effort than that, because a back stab would drop Quen instantly, and is no substitute for good dodging or timed parries.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Oh my. Was it a rhetorical exaggeration? Of course you don't mash the spacebar randomly but when appropriate. As for mashing left (or right) mouse button - there's also no randomness involved. You just mash furiously, click click click click click click click click click click , and you're good to go!

[And the audience applaudes]

hit hit roll hit hit roll hit hit roll

The new RPG combat - brought to you by CDProjekt.

And the awesomness doesn't stop here. Now you can do side-quests in ANY order!! The VERY definition of non-linear!

RK47

Patron
Repetitive left clicks wouldn't do a damn thing when the guards raise their shield, anyway. I didn't like the game enough, but it was fun while it lasted.

Monocause

Arcane
Mrowak said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
DraQ said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Monocause said:

@DraQ

VoD is right. Tested it myself. Without modding shit you can cheese the game almost all the way to act 3. Unfortunately, TW2 is very cheese-vulnerable. The fact that the skills you get work in "let's reduce the obstacle", and not like "let's add a new ability whose thoughtful usage in conjunction with others will be required to win" hurts the gameplay. TW2 is piss poor easy. Play Way of the Samurai games and compare.

Yeah, I know that it is possible. Just like it's possible to win Arcanum by spamming harm all the way or abuse piss-poor LoS mechanics in infinity engine games with AoE spells or abuse switching locations.

Trouble is, it's absolutely no fun to win every fight by throwing dozens of bombs - and when you play the game properly using bombs as a supplement only you just won't last very long without upgrading your character. It might be possible if you like watching the game over screen a lot. Which I don't.

I played the game on hard and often had to use Raffard's Decoction as my basic 380 vitality wasn't enough and a single mistake might mean death because, say, the faggot with Seltkirk's armor backstabbed me for 200+ damage. I even died to a group of nekkers once in the tunnels under Vergen when I got careless and allowed them to surround me. Leaping ain't gonna save you if you're fighting 4+ enemies in tight spaces, you gotta parry and use crowd control signs. When you're fighting 1v1 then sure, the witcher pretty much always wins. As it should be.

Without upgrading my character I'd have only 2 vigor points compared to 6 I had, and two is not nearly enough for effective crowd control (especially since aard gains AoE on lvl2 iirc and igni incineration on lvl2 and AoE on lvl3). Signs would deal pitiful damage and would often fail or couldn't cause critical effects. I'd have 150 vitality less which is a significant difference in terms of survivability. Less critical effects resistance which in multiple fights means painful death. My leap would be shorter which means it would be much easier to surround me, especially in tight quarters. I wouldn't get heliotrope which near the end-game often was a life-saver. I'd have 20% damage reduction less. Even with all these upgrades I still died pretty often whenever I got too cocky which makes me believe that playing the game without upgrading your char, while it might be possible, simply makes it a pain in the ass.

So yes, the combat system is easily exploitable - which would be probably easily fixed by introducing a cooldown (say, an igniting animation) and friendly fire on bombs and other throwables but no, it isn't broken and is entirely satisfying with many challenging moments as long as you refrain from hitting "r" repeatedly. Larping? Sure, in a way, but I play games to enjoy them and not abuse poor mechanics at the first sight of them. I haven't used explosive arrow for the same reason in Div2 and avoided Harm in Arcanum or didn't make Potions of OMFGFUUUU OVER NINE THOUSAND in Morrowind.

Mrowak

Arcane
Monocause said:
Mrowak said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
DraQ said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Monocause said:

@DraQ

Yeah, I know that it is possible. Just like it's possible to win Arcanum by spamming harm all the way or abuse piss-poor LoS mechanics in infinity engine games with AoE spells or abuse switching locations.

Yeah, but even at Codex Arcanum isn't liked for its combat, nor it was its main point. Compare it to TW2 where all skills revolve around fighting. Can't say anything about Infinity Engine games.

Trouble is, it's absolutely no fun to win every fight by throwing dozens of bombs - and when you play the game properly using bombs as a supplement only you just won't last very long without upgrading your character. It might be possible if you like watching the game over screen a lot. Which I don't.

I played the game that way. Wasn't seeing game over screen that often.

I played the game on hard and often had to use Raffard's Decoction as my basic 380 vitality wasn't enough and a single mistake might mean death because, say, the faggot with Seltkirk's armor backstabbed me for 200+ damage. I even died to a group of nekkers once in the tunnels under Vergen when I got careless and allowed them to surround me. Leaping ain't gonna save you if you're fighting 4+ enemies in tight spaces, you gotta parry and use crowd control signs. When you're fighting 1v1 then sure, the witcher pretty much always wins. As it should be.

Leaping like mad is the main save-your-skin device. That, and Quen. I honestly tried using other signs and blocking parrying, but it quickly proved there was no point. Roll, roll, Quen, slash, slash... Crowd control? What crowd control? Was there need for any?

Without upgrading my character I'd have only 2 vigor points compared to 6 I had, and two is not nearly enough for effective crowd control (especially since aard gains AoE on lvl2 iirc and igni incineration on lvl2 and AoE on lvl3). Signs would deal pitiful damage and would often fail or couldn't cause critical effects. I'd have 150 vitality less which is a significant difference in terms of survivability. Less critical effects resistance which in multiple fights means painful death. My leap would be shorter which means it would be much easier to surround me, especially in tight quarters. I wouldn't get heliotrope which near the end-game often was a life-saver. I'd have 20% damage reduction less. Even with all these upgrades I still died pretty often whenever I got too cocky which makes me believe that playing the game without upgrading your char, while it might be possible, simply makes it a pain in the ass.

So yes, the combat system is easily exploitable - which would be probably easily fixed by introducing a cooldown (say, an igniting animation) and friendly fire on bombs and other throwables but no, it isn't broken and is entirely satisfying with many challenging moments as long as you refrain from hitting "r" repeatedly. Larping? Sure, in a way, but I play games to enjoy them and not abuse poor mechanics at the first sight of them. I haven't used explosive arrow for the same reason in Div2 and avoided Harm in Arcanum or didn't make Potions of OMFGFUUUU OVER NINE THOUSAND in Morrowind.

I don't know bro. I would really love to see things your way, but to me the combat system in TW2 is quite simplistic and ultimately boring - roll, roll, slash, slash etc. This comes from someone who actually tried modding stats, monsters, equipment etc. to make the game a little bit more challenging. It actually did...

About skills: The additional 150 hp from skills you get does make things easier, but there's that - instead of you getting access to solutions to a set of new problems (e.g. different enemies) they just make easier for you to withstand a few punches more. In effect skills are mostly meaningless provided that you know when to hit space and where to roll. How about different combat styles, different attacks, different spells to tackle different enemies? Or maybe make it so one set of potions makes you especially effective against one type of creatures, but useless against another. Or traps being useful?

This brings me to another disappointing aspect of the game. Despite dev's assurances there's no need for any real tactics at all (Gop's "different styles, different tactics..."). The fact remains that once you find one way of "pacifying" enemies, there's no need to ever use anything different - it will be applicable to all situations and to all kinds of foes. For example - Quen is useful always and in every encounter; in alchemy build once you mix thunderbolt and gadwall you are unstoppable; when in doubt - roll (which effectively makes blocking useless); spam bombs like there's no tomorrow etc. In the whole game there's no need for any variation - if you manage to find one effective 'tactic' it will work on everything like a charm.

There's always this little prejudice I have. Perhaps it's me being spoiled by the books and such, by the combat didn't look very 'witchery' to me... which annoyed me to no end. I really shouldn't have played Way of the Samurai before starting TW2. :(

Phelot

Arcane
I had high hopes that TW1 and 2 would be like Blade of Darkness. Games like BoD are just screaming to have their combat implemented into a nice action RPG.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I honestly tried using other signs and blocking parrying, but it quickly proved there was no point.

Parrying becomes useful once you get counterattacks. Because they are retardedly overpowered. Just remember not to get hit because the parrying itself is still useless

Which is this game's combat in a nutshell, rly. Don't do stupid shit (which means: don't get trolled by horribly unresponsive controls) and use I-Win awesome buttons, whether they are counter-attacks, or quen or rolling around like a dumbfuck. Fucking balance, how does it work.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Damn, the TW2 2.0 can't get here soon enough. In my second playthrough I'm siding with that asshole Iorveth just to see the "other" part of the game.

Better start storing saves right now for TW3.

Gerrard

Arcane
http://thewitcher.com/public/files/down ... ion2.0.pdf
Parrying is now unlimited (even when Vigor is completely depleted), though parries no longer cancel all damage (maximum 50% reduction once the relevant ability has been acquired).
Geralt‟s attacks are no longer interrupted by attacking opponents. Attacks are now contiguous and foes cannot interrupt Geralt‟s attacks by landing a blow.
Assorted fixes now prevent opponents from incessantly attacking Geralt after he has been knocked down. Geralt can no longer be knocked down repeatedly in quick succession. Also, he rises quickly while evading subsequent attacks.
:retarded:

Lack of any UI improvements.

Mrowak

Arcane
Gerrard said:
http://thewitcher.com/public/files/download/Version2.0.pdf
Parrying is now unlimited (even when Vigor is completely depleted), though parries no longer cancel all damage (maximum 50% reduction once the relevant ability has been acquired).

Not necessarily a bad thing. Actually it would make much more sense if blocking didn't consume Vigour but rolling did. However, as it is with only 50% cdamage reduction blocking will be even more useless.

Geralt‟s attacks are no longer interrupted by attacking opponents. Attacks are now contiguous and foes cannot interrupt Geralt‟s attacks by landing a blow.

:derp:

It should be the other way round. How about this: you actually make the game more fun by allowing your attacks to be interrupted when under Quen.

Assorted fixes now prevent opponents from incessantly attacking Geralt after he has been knocked down. Geralt can no longer be knocked down repeatedly in quick succession. Also, he rises quickly while evading subsequent attacks.

:facepalm:

Yes, they have to make the game more console friendly. Good god.

What for? It's obvious that the 2.0 version is meant to make PC version the very same experience as console port is shaping up to be. UI is already dumbed down enough for consoles.

made

Arcane
Relax, Dark Mode will fix it. Not only will TW2 be the best RPG of all time, it will also be the darkest!

Captain Shrek

Someone post that lulzy video of retard cursing the programmers. plox.

DraQ

Arcane
Gerrard said:
http://thewitcher.com/public/files/download/Version2.0.pdf

wat.
wat?
what is it i dont even
:what:

CDPR, you retards!

Patches are meant to fix stuff that's broken, not to break shit that works well, dammit!!!!11111

:x :decline: :rage: :x :decline: :rage: :x :decline: :rage: :x :decline: :rage: :x :decline: :rage: :x :decline: :rage: :x :decline: :rage:

The only actual improvement here is not making blocking dependent on vigor.
Ok, control and aiming improvements can also be pretty good, but WHY THE FUCK prevent enemies from interrupting your attacks or attacking you when knocked down?

Isn't the WHOLE POINT of knocking someone down to be able to stab him dead with relative impunity?
Isn't the WHOLE POINT of attacking someone that's slashing your face to make him fucking stop?

Fucking fuck.
:decline:

Ok, I feel slightly better now.
:x

MapMan

Arcane
What did you people expect? The combat in TW2 was too hard for most of the so called "glorious pc gaming master race". What do you think would happen on xbox360? They game would be basically unplayable for 95% of the players.

Mrowak

Arcane
Bros. All is lost :dizzy: CDPRed's new fanbase is completely retarded. They actually like the changes in combat and don't bother with the UI. Furthermore, they show first symptoms of Biowaritis - unconditional fanboism and severe paranoia against conflicting viewpoints. Anything remotely hinting at dislike and displeasure with retarded decisions in those changelogs will meet with absolute dersion. It's like talking with 13 year olds. If they are the ones who are going to shape up design decisions for TW3, we are fucked. :(

Gerrard

Arcane
Mrowak said:
Furthermore, they show first symptoms of Biowaritis - unconditional fanboism and severe paranoia against conflicting viewpoints. Anything remotely hinting at dislike and displeasure with retarded decisions in those changelogs will meet with absolute dersion. It's like talking with 13 year olds. If they are the ones who are going to shape up design decisions for TW3, we are fucked. :(
Yep. I started noticing this already in the comments, before the forums were back. The quality of the community is inevitably inversely related to its size, and the size grows with the popularity of the game.
I see you fighting the good fight. :salute:
Also
"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day "
FFS I only used ONE

RK47

Patron
Hahaha. Dude it allows newbs to finish games. Let them have it, seriously. Poor bastards.

DraQ

Arcane
Mrowak said:
Bros. All is lost :dizzy: CDPRed's new fanbase is completely retarded. They actually like the changes in combat and don't bother with the UI. Furthermore, they show first symptoms of Biowaritis - unconditional fanboism and severe paranoia against conflicting viewpoints. Anything remotely hinting at dislike and displeasure with retarded decisions in those changelogs will meet with absolute dersion. It's like talking with 13 year olds. If they are the ones who are going to shape up design decisions for TW3, we are fucked. :(
:rage:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
that's what you get when you poach disappointed DA2 fans/Skyrimmers who want to pass the time until their dragons

now CDP has the attention of the new shits

ah who am I kidding the majority of the rpg gaming community are probably amenable to changes like this or will gloss over them with 'you can't say these changes are bad because that's just your opinion'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom