Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old games run better on Linux

baronjohn

Cipher
I just installed Desu Ex GOTY and it's running flawlessly. No need to patch, use compatibility modes, CPU affinities, nothing.

Even the install went easier than on Windows since Linux can mount iso files natively removing the need for crapware like daemon tools.

So why haven't you upgraded to Linux yet?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
2 things:
I've read that the wine guys are finally implementing the DIB engine, piecemeal, so some old 2d games might start working ok again for people with low end cpus.

Mounting isos is not the same as mounting bin/cue files - to mount those images you neeed http://cdemu.sourceforge.net/ that is like daemon tools.

MetalCraze

Arcane
DE is running flawlessly on my Win7 too

I don't get it should we praise Linux for finally running Deus Ex 11 years later?

KalosKagathos

Learned
How well do emulators (especially PCSX2) work on Linux? Me playing a native Windows game has become a very rare occurrence lately, so I might as well switch to an OS that's less prone to malware (on account of hackers not giving a fuck about it), if everything else is in order.

spekkio

Arcane
You are one of the shittiest OPs on 'Dex ATM, baronjohn.

Try creating less threads.
That is all.

:rpgcodex:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Do too. (caesar 3 at least).

Granted, it's a bitch to install or change resolution.

Been playing hitman blood money on wine - why the fuck did they disable cheats on patch 1.2, the last level is killing me.

racofer

Thread Incliner
baronjohn said:
I just installed Desu Ex GOTY and it's running flawlessly. No need to patch, use compatibility modes, CPU affinities, nothing.

No problems here as well with W7x64.

Even the install went easier than on Windows since Linux can mount iso files natively removing the need for crapware like daemon tools.

Haven't used Daemon Stools for years. Virtual CloneDrive is superior in every way.

So why haven't you upgraded to Linux yet?

Because I like to use my computer for useful stuff instead of gimmicky desktop showing off?

MetalCraze said:
DE is running flawlessly on my Win7 too

I don't get it should we praise Linux for finally running Deus Ex 11 years later?

Exactly. Now try and run any modern game under Lolinux and see how it performs, that is, if you get it to run at all.

The only reason Desu Ex runs under Lolinux is because it's openGL, something that nobody bothers to use anymore for gaming.

catfood

AGAIN
SCO said:
Do too. (caesar 3 at least).

Granted, it's a bitch to install or change resolution.

Been playing hitman blood money on wine - why the fuck did they disable cheats on patch 1.2, the last level is killing me.

Ok, I gotta admit I only tried Pharaoh and I assumed that since they all use the same engine they would all have the same problems. But it still doesn't work. :x It crashes after 1 min or so.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Better report it then - not doing anything is a good way to never play the game in linux.

Bloodlines was crashing with my gpu (some assumptions about something that newer gpus didn't respect) and i went zipping there - fixed in two days.

Though you have to be kinda above average joe technically if they ask you to do a regression test.

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I actually tried Deus Ex under WINE 1.2 with OpenGL a few days ago, and while there were no performance or graphical problems, I could't fixed the rapidly changing speeds. Adding SwapInterval and VSync in the .ini didn't fix the issue, so I gave up.

MetalCraze

Arcane
SENSATION!

Windows users played DX 11 years ago.

Now Linux users can too!

Install Linux today to play games people completed a decade ago!

(ATTENTION: Linux doesn't guarantee you won't fuck with configs for 2 hours and the game still won't run optimally)

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Truly, Linux is wonder of modern science.

No need to patch, use compatibility modes, CPU affinities, nothing.

God forbid you should need to do those complex things, task manager and right click, how does it work???

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Is this a native Linux version, or the Windows version running under WINE or some such? Just curious, since if you're running it emulated then the emulator could very easily have special provisions set up to handle any compatibility problems stemming from newer hardware.

It's also almost always the case that old programs with compatibility issues in Windows are that way because they simply haven't had the right compatibility flags set by Microsoft (you'll note they occasionally put out updates for just this purpose). Do the same thing in Linux by default and you get the exact same results.

Like everyone else here, I can run Deus Ex just fine on Windows 7... and if I want to, I can also use a replacement executable to add proper widescreen support, fix the FOV and HUD scaling, and remove the mouse acceleration. I can also use a DirectX 10 renderer for new graphical effects, pseudo-HDR lighting, better texture filtering and anti-aliasing, etc. What about your Linux version?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Rohit_N said:
I actually tried Deus Ex under WINE 1.2 with OpenGL a few days ago, and while there were no performance or graphical problems, I could't fixed the rapidly changing speeds. Adding SwapInterval and VSync in the .ini didn't fix the issue, so I gave up.

Limit the fps in the game renderer config file to 60 (actually, i checked and i used 100, uh).

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
FrameRateLimit=100

Hoaxmetal said:
God forbid you should need to do those complex things, task manager and right click, how does it work???
Yeah, the console saves me from doing shit like that 3 times a year instead of once.

Kawaii Theurgist

Liturgist
Are there any good console emulators for that Linux thingie?

And it isn't a trolling question, but an honest one. I do play mostly on a notebook and emulators can get quite taxing for it about a month or two after each format, when windows starts the slow process of eating itself alive. So being able to run them from a naked command line without anything else eating up resources would be quite dreamy.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Depends. Things like pcsx2, zsnes and shit are locked to windows/32 bit architecture (that is, at required 32 bit libraries, that distros like ubuntu don't like in a 64 bit system) by the simple reason of being coded in assembly by monkeys who crave speed.

There are few emulators (heck, even exult doesn't) that bother to package their shit up, much less use a repository (though they really should, it's only a xml file + the files anyway).

Speaking of the native windows games, wine has a few - journeys into madness.

For instance, here is what i did to make hitman blood money work 3 days ago (portably).

Install
Patch to 1.2
Replace with a no cd
Create a profile, config the keys, resolution, disable shaders and shit.
(the game creates the profile in the mydocuments folder in windows, that wine maps
to home for some reason - though it really shouldn't)
copy that virgin profile dir to the game folder (why? to make me not have to install and config it again).

Zip up all that with this batch file on a folder above the main game dir:
#!/bin/bash
GAME_PATH=$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")
cd "$GAME_PATH/Hitman"
if [ ! -d ~/.wine-hitman/ ]; then
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-hitman/ winetricks d3dx9
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-hitman/ wine reg add "HKCU\\Software\\Wine\\Appdefaults\\HitmanBloodMoney.exe\\DirectSound" /v "HardwareAcceleration" /t REG_SZ /d "Emulation"
fi
if [ ! -d ~/Hitman\ Blood\ Money/ ]; then
#configs, needs to be in my documents (home in wine) for some reason
cp -R "./Hitman Blood Money" ~/
fi
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-hitman/ wine HitmanBloodMoney.exe

It's using a different prefix since it needs a microsoft dll installed that is currently incomplete in wine itself.
The sound shit is some pulseaudio politics shit with wine, i just don't give a damn and set it to emulation to work, though there is probably a way to get hardware sound.

Yeah, well, THIS IS SPARTA, HOME OF THE PC MASTER RACE.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
SCO said:

And another thing, ask a rhetorical question, answer it yourself:
http://www.hitmanforum.com/forum/index. ... lag-in-12/

If you want to enable cheats in hitman BM 1.2 again without "trainer" nonsense, here is how you can do it.
It's on 4831C on my exe (gamecopyworld no cd, new russian 64 bit version), just flip the bit from 00 to 01

(remember to add the line
EnableCheats
to the HitmanBloodMoney.ini too)

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Limit the fps in the game renderer config file to 60 (actually, i checked and i used 100, uh).

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
FrameRateLimit=100
That fixed it, thanks. That's one game I can now play in Linux.

I can also use a replacement executable to add proper widescreen support, fix the FOV and HUD scaling, and remove the mouse acceleration. I can also use a DirectX 10 renderer for new graphical effects, pseudo-HDR lighting, better texture filtering and anti-aliasing, etc. What about your Linux version?
Everything except for DX10, which lowers the framerate and looks a little grainy on my computer.

You also don't need a replacement .exe for widescreen and hud scaling, just some simple .ini hacking. (Except for the HUD scaling which requires NVSHacker's OTPUI fix, which is probably also used by your .exe)

If you don't want to edit the .ini, there's also dxfix.exe, which I can also run under WINE. :D

Kawaii Theurgist

Liturgist
@ SCO

I am not sure I understood what you just said...

Was that, uhm, like not really but for a couple of exceptions?

I'll take this as meaning Penguins don't belong to technologically illiterate theurgists, okay. :(

Cassidy

Arcane
Kawaii Theurgist said:
@ SCO

I am not sure I understood what you just said...

Was that, uhm, like not really but for a couple of exceptions?

I'll take this as meaning Penguins don't belong to technologically illiterate theurgists, okay. :(

Sup' Drog.

Also, all Linux Distributions still need to evolve a lot to become more attractive to the average joe any person to beat Windows not removed from an inventory in Thirdworldia, which is the only place where it may yet shine simply because of being free. Damn, last time I bothered with a dual-boot, auto-mount feature was still crawling and I gave up on WINE, using instead WineX. When I had a worst computer, I liked how UT99, Deus Ex(through WineX back then) and Neverwinter Nights had a much better performance on Linux, but right now I see little reason to go back to it, specially as I'll have to repartition the HD and I don't want to take risks.

Kawaii Theurgist

Liturgist
Cassidy said:
Sup' Drog.

While I do have some experience with the penguin thingie from back when I was quite small and my brother was into being cyberpunkish and countercultural and into hackerish stuff, my knowledge about it is quite limited outside of some basic stuff and SCO, who obviously knows his stuff more than I'll ever do, just went way over my head with the explanation, so I just wanted a clarification in the common tongue.

I'm sorry if it does seem I was trolling. It wasn't the intention to bother you or anyone else.

And i'm far too MOE and kawaii to be a Drog. Try again, you big meanie you.

:rpgcodex:

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
That fixed it, thanks. That's one game I can now play in Linux.
And predictably, Unreal Tournament works just as well after applying the framerate fix.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom