Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old Monster Hunter vs New Monster Hunter

Perkel

Arcane
Old mh games maps were really small and you could see monster via painball. If anything MHW maps are much bigger and it is harder to find monster initially.

If anything tent availability on quest took a bit out of preparation aspect.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Old Monster Hunter is better overall. Less polished though.

I wish we could get a game with the polish of Rise and some of the QoL, without all the popamole mobility and Devil May Cry flashyness, so we could get more grounded Monster fights.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Aerial Insect Glaive were my shit
I tried learning the insect glaive as my first weapon and it killed any interest I had in the series. A few hundred hours in I tried to use it again last night and I cannot get to grips with it. Love the concept, but monster hunter's clunkiness makes it difficult to use. The slinger and bug being the same input with different context is a mistake IMO. There's ways to streamline it slightly and improve the experience. It's always fun to see a glaive user and I wouldn't mind being one myself but fuck having to his specific parts to get a functional movement speed and good attacks. Even if they want to keep that mechanic fixing the inputs to shoot and recall your bug would go a long way to helping it.

Ialda

Learned
MHFU on PSP was my first MH game too - I spent months playing it, even if I wasn't particulary good at it at first (it took several weeks to kill my first Tigrex), and it still my favorite game of the series. I also enjoyed Portable 3rd (loved the ronin outfit), 4G (solid entry), Gen (Ahtal-Ka was a nice boss, and I loved the fanservice of featuring all the villages from the past games - even if you couldn't any longer use the farm), World and Rise. I'm not the biggest fan of World around, even if I can understand some of its changes, and I still spent 500h on it.

But there is still one detail which still makes MHFU the superior games after all those years : the very distinct 'ting' sound you hear when unsheathing a metallic long sword in it. I fucking love that sound, and I'm still pissed it seems to have disappeared from all the latter games AFAIK.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Replaying MH4U right now. So much fun. This game would be perfect if materials were gathered faster. Rise should have tried to replicate this pace. I guess we are not coming back ever to old MH experience and Devil May Hunt is here to stay.

I also vastly prefer expeditions to the damned tower defense game in Rise.

My main weapon has always been the charge blade. I'm using GS right now
and plan to try dual blades for first time.

I read somewhere that someone's working on a full translation for MH 2 DOS (the PS2 game). I'm definitely giving it a shot when it comes out.

I hadn't realized that the complete translation patch for Monster Hunter 2 Dos was released this year. I've been looking forward to it a lot. I've tested it and it works perfectly. They've translated absolutely 100% of everything, very impressive work.

https://break-arts.com/projects/mh2dos/

It definitely goes beyond a simple script dump. Here they talk about some of the bespoke tools they built specifically for this project:

https://break-arts.com/posts/mh2_re/

It's even possible to play MH2 online on custom dedicated servers:

https://mholdschool.com/viewtopic.php?t=216

Here's a very detailed guide:

https://mholdschool.com/viewtopic.php?t=120

Last edited:
How is the Switch version of the 3DS games? I'm tempted to give it a go.
Switch didn't get a port of 4U, only XX/GU, which is a very different game.

That said, the port of XX/GU is fine, but I recommend running it on an emulator since it's locked to 30fps on the console. On Yuzu I can run it at 4k/120fps just fine.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

That said, the port of XX/GU is fine, but I recommend running it on an emulator since it's locked to 30fps on the console. On Yuzu I can run it at 4k/120fps just fine.
My PC isn't able to emulate Switch as well as I'd like. It's 7 years old base with 5 years since I last upgraded it (I'm maxed out on the mother board so it's a full new build if I want to upgrade). I'll probably upgrade during the spring but it still runs everything I want except Switch emulation really well. I've heard Steam deck can do switch emulation but I got sub 20 FPS in the games I tried.

My PC isn't able to emulate Switch as well as I'd like. It's 7 years old base with 5 years since I last upgraded it (I'm maxed out on the mother board so it's a full new build if I want to upgrade). I'll probably upgrade during the spring but it still runs everything I want except Switch emulation really well. I've heard Steam deck can do switch emulation but I got sub 20 FPS in the games I tried.
Well in that case the Switch port is fine. I think 4U is the much better game, but you can still have fun with XX/GU.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom