Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old School Computer Game

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's an oldschool CRPG... sold on drivethrurpg, which is a store that usually sells PDF rulebooks of tabletop games... coded entirely in Java and running as a .jar file without an .exe...

Yeah, the circumstances of its development and release are bizarre. Some guy just decided he'd make an oldschool CRPG inspired by the Gold Box titles and dumped it on DriveThruRPG.

But it's genuinely good!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/149082/Old-School-Computer-Game

Screenshots:

2023-09-14_17_39_34-Old_School_Computer_Game_November_2018.png

2023-09-14_17_50_45-Greenshot.png

2023-09-14_17_51_02-Greenshot.png

2023-09-14_17_51_16-Greenshot.png

2023-09-14_17_51_55-Greenshot.png

2023-09-14_17_52_21-Greenshot.png

2023-09-14_17_52_59-Greenshot.png

2023-09-14_17_54_05-Greenshot.png

2023-09-14_17_55_49-Greenshot.png

2023-09-14_17_56_07-Greenshot.png

Dorateen

Arcane
There was some discussion about OSCG back on the FRUA forums. If I recall, the character customization is excellent, as in there are a variety of class "kits" to choose from. And even though the character icons are rather basic, they do change based on items equipped. That's a pretty nifty bit of programming.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
it's pretty good. haven't played it in a few months but i was happy enough to while some time away on it. it's worth the $5 and great for quick sessions. ran across it on here and then bought it on a whim and haven't been disappointed.

i'll go ahead and post the keyboard shortcuts since when i played originally i had to map it out so this'll save someone five minutes:

viGAdto.png

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Played it a long time ago, don't remember much except its a fairly decent Gold Box clone. You're right, it's pretty strange this was sold on DTRPG instead of Steam (and that's what caught my eye in the first place) but whatever, time to revisit it! :)

Fatberg Slim

Educated
Patron
I bought this game years ago after it was mentioned in the "Really obscure RPGs" thread. I played for a few hours and especially appreciated the various class kits, many of which offered very divergent playstyles including a shapeshifter type, which I'm obligated to try in every game that offers it. It seemed more like a series of individual scenarios rather than an actual campaign with a defined ending, which is one reason why I stopped (that and my Java got borked). I'd be interested in picking it up again if it follows more of a structure now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom