Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old school Isometric RPG hardship

Just when you thought the hardship was over. It has only begun! I have overhauled the UI yet it is only the very beginning.

WnxmTJ6.png

9A8rkyM.png

All base features are now done. Its bug fixing now. And there are a lot of bugs.

The trading/inventory window is done, fully functional.
xrfxJjU.png

Talent trees added. Fully done.
81UkFPO.png

TCpOG1d.png

And character screen. Done.
RYSaTpY.png

Scripting system.
SXz4WcJ.png

The script system is very basic but scripts can be combined and chained together. Scripts can also be embedded in conversation trees, which may be called from scripts and also the other way around.
QxCTQI6.png

There is also a map and questing system, linked together which all work with the scripting system. (not shown)

A level editor has started, lots of work to do here, along with save/load which is postponed until design is finalised.
MLySxTB.png

I have also setup a discord channel to share info, developer demos, and most importantly get free QA valuable feedback.

Certainly nothing is finalised but we are closing in on an insider private demo. We are getting really close to a baseline engine which means a playable demo is also getting a lot closer. I am really looking forward to putting the engine to bed for a while and creating some content.

Last edited:

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
So this all goes back to some years ago when I had been wanting to make an isometric rpg for ages - similar in art style to Baldurs gate or perhaps Spiderweb's rpgs, something like that. I had been dreaming up this idea (over many bathtub sessions) where I would create a small open world with complex factions and where choices have true meaning and so on.

How's the writing going? Please don't underestimate how long it takes to write complex factions where choices have true meaning, especially if you want it to be good writing. I'm learning that it takes ages and it's easy to get burnt out.

So this all goes back to some years ago when I had been wanting to make an isometric rpg for ages - similar in art style to Baldurs gate or perhaps Spiderweb's rpgs, something like that. I had been dreaming up this idea (over many bathtub sessions) where I would create a small open world with complex factions and where choices have true meaning and so on.

How's the writing going? Please don't underestimate how long it takes to write complex factions where choices have true meaning, especially if you want it to be good writing. I'm learning that it takes ages and it's easy to get burnt out.
Pretty much any creation worth appreciating take a great deal of time to develop. After the initial work, most of remaining time used is often spent on going over the work, again, again, again. Building up layer by layer, refining. The writing aspect of course will be more of the same.

The truth is the story, imagined over 12 years, is vast but is all in my head, nothing is written down. Because of this I expect lots of blind spots to come up that will need filling in. The story is also far too big to fit into one game alone, it will need several to tell the story. Or at least this is how I imagine it.

I ought to have spent yesterday bug fixing yet instead I got side tracked and started work on some basic environmental effects.
https://rumble.com/v2vwuxm-june-23-2023.html

dJBJirV.png

I now am wondering what to do about "regular" weather. I do not wish to take things to far but perhaps I missing something when the weather is clear?!

Last edited:

d1nolore

Savant
Just when you thought the hardship was over. It has only begun! I have overhauled the UI yet it is only the very beginning.

WnxmTJ6.png

9A8rkyM.png

All base features are now done. Its bug fixing now. And there are a lot of bugs.

xrfxJjU.png

81UkFPO.png

TCpOG1d.png

RYSaTpY.png

Scripting system.
SXz4WcJ.png

The script system is very basic but scripts can be combined and chained together. Scripts can also be embedded in conversation trees, which may be called from scripts and also the other way around.
QxCTQI6.png

There is also a map and questing system, linked together which all work with the scripting system. (not shown)

A level editor has started, lots of work to do here, along with save/load which is postponed until design is finalised.
MLySxTB.png

I have also setup a discord channel to share info, developer demos, and most importantly get free QA valuable feedback.

Certainly nothing is finalised but we are closing in on an insider private demo. We are getting really close to a baseline engine which means a playable demo is also getting a lot closer. I am really looking forward to putting the engine to bed for a while and creating some content.
Whats the discord channel?

WnxmTJ6.png

9A8rkyM.png

xrfxJjU.png

81UkFPO.png

TCpOG1d.png

RYSaTpY.png

Scripting system.
SXz4WcJ.png

QxCTQI6.png

MLySxTB.png

Whats the discord channel?
https://discord.gg/Hz6S4P7n

The refactor has paid off, allowing for:-

-Saving, loading complete.
-UI restyle.
-Editor complete.
-Prepared mod capability (build assets without code base).
-Updated 2 talents, bow, fireball.
-Bug fixes.
wDXhKqh.gif

J1M

Arcane
I would rather have one spell that creates an interesting localized weather effect in combat than an entire game with dynamic weather that is just cosmetic.

J1M

Arcane
I would rather have one spell that creates an interesting localized weather effect in combat than an entire game with dynamic weather that is just cosmetic.
That could be done, but why?
I think it is fine for each area to have weather to flavor it and little is gained by it raining/snowing sometimes at random.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I think it is fine for each area to have weather to flavor it and little is gained by it raining/snowing sometimes at random.
One full map where movement during fight is limited/protagonists take damage during fights/range attacks are limited/spells don't work/some damage types are increased or decreased/whatever can be fun too and a weather effect is a cool way to both justify and materialize that, no?

One full map where movement during fight is limited/protagonists take damage during fights/range attacks are limited/spells don't work/some damage types are increased or decreased/whatever can be fun too and a weather effect is a cool way to both justify and materialize that, no?
Its a suggestion I agree with. I had not intended for the weather to be purely cosmetic. In darkness(non lit areas or daylight) you can sneak more easily.
As for rain and snow I have not really considered what the impact would be. Probably it will slow down movement a little.

I guess range spells would be less effective in rain & snow, and ranged in general would be less effective and melee weapons would be slightly preferable. The impact would not be large though. I am thinking less than 10%.

That sort of thing seems reasonable to me.

I can see that it would provide a tactical advantage to make use of snowing conditions to do a battle against a large ranged force.

J1M

Arcane
I suspect you skimmed over the word "cosmetic" in my post.

I am in the UI doldrums (https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/doldrums.html).

I am going round in circles. Everything else there is a way forward but this.

Its mainly the HUD I don't like. Its just not right. But what is?
DFYDzYb.png

I like the layout and functionality of the menus but there is no style, its still placeholder. I could literally swap this out once I get a theme.

sWQTeVO.png

JECGZna.png

Maybe I need a theme...for inspiration?

Making some prototype mockups of a new UI.

Zo6Y6eS.png

ul034o7.png

Its at odds with the current visuals. However all assets will be remastered again be more gritty and textural, the scene will have more detail too. Thats the intention of where to take it at least. So a kind of dark UI I think will fit. Maybe. I'm not sure actually.

As I come to the UI, I wonder what resolutions need to be supported?

I am developing in 1920x1080, 1366x768, 1280x720. What other preferences are there?

ds

Cipher
Patron
Ideally, any resolution. We already moved from 4:3 to 16:9 with ultrawide ~21:9 slowly becoming more popular.

If you are looking for what you can get away with then the Steam hardware survey is probably what you want to base your decisions on - see Primary Display Resolution.

But if you can, make sure to scale to fit and at least letterbox/pillarbox for arbitrary resolutions.

pGXkv8S.png

Updated HUD. Its more the look I want but needs some refinement as theres a bit of empty space. The entire UI has been updated to this new style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom