Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old school manual artwork

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Wouldn't be so hard on yourself, it's not bad at all.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
AI is sometimes good if you need a quick composition for yourself or an artist. With that said, what do you say about this...

WhKuwp5h.jpg
Super cool, I love it! Great stuff!

> Now that I look it again, it does look like some kind of arcane hopw roewur ne...

Nah, it's great, man, top notch stuff. And I've been drawing a lot in my younger years (I'm into ink drawings). You should be proud. I love the composition and the use of negative space. Compositonally, it's very well balanced and it has character.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You're telling me that an indie artist would charge 500-1000 dollars for a drawing like this the size of a post-it note?
You can EASILY find an indie artist doing quality art for far less.

I have recently commissioned an artist to do 15 interior illustrations for a novel I'm writing. He charges 80€ per illustration, and they're full-page full color ones with some degree of detail.

Here's the first illustration which he delivered this week, and I paid him the 80€ for it:
GQcn8FkXEAArR68

You can easily get small black & white artwork for 50€ apiece or less.

Kruyurk

Learned
I would rather look at paintings made by elephants for the rest of my life than AI generated garbage. I am sure these majestic creatures understand much more about art than people tolerating AI "art". I don't know how much an elephant would charge though. Try to not look menacing and maybe he won't.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You're telling me that an indie artist would charge 500-1000 dollars for a drawing like this the size of a post-it note?
You can EASILY find an indie artist doing quality art for far less.

I have recently commissioned an artist to do 15 interior illustrations for a novel I'm writing. He charges 80€ per illustration, and they're full-page full color ones with some degree of detail.

Here's the first illustration which he delivered this week, and I paid him the 80€ for it:
You can easily get small black & white artwork for 50€ apiece or less.

Informative; I'm not in the market for topless pterodactyl fighters, but clearly there's room to negotiate on price depending on the person, their experience, and location. There's a lot of talent here on the Codex thankfully, I've reached out to a few and hopefully won't need to go rub shoulders with off-site people.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This is in line with what I said. This is essentially a speedpainting, barely above a sketch. Notice the general lack of detail everywhere.

Detail = more work. You can speedpaint a composition in a few minutes, then add some detail in the next half an hour, sure. But detailed drawings take *time*. If you wanna make this into a detailed painting, then 80% of the work is still outstanding, time-wise. Do the math :)

Although the ink drawings posted in the first post are not ultra-detailed, they are far more detailed than this speedpainting. 80 EUR is an OK price for this, and frankly, I would not pay more for it. It's even a bit expensive, given how wrong the perspective is, overall.

But, if you like it, and you're happy with it, that's all what matters.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Might as well take a knife to the Mona Lisa if you're going to lay down with the electronic devil.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom