Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OMG! More famous voices for Oblivion

Tintin

Arbiter
Well, if two people could pull it off it's not really a limitation, is it now?

Vault Dweller, this is really the most idiotic thing you have ever said. You don't seem to understand that if one person focuses on making a game based on one thing a different game with entirely different circumstances as a feature doesn't work the same way.

Roger P

Novice
Again, the fucking game is called "Mount & Blade." Wouldn't that imply that mounted combat is a key feature? I could be wrong, but mounted combat has never been in a TES game. Isn't it your guys' job to complain about things that Beth is removing, as oppossed to not adding? I could go archive some threads about no mounted combat at the TESF if I wanted to hear this argument, but I'd really rather not.

DarkSign

Erudite
I bet if they'd used Vault Dweller's voice instead of Patrick Stewart's they'd have had the time and money to implement something Mount and Blade did with only 2 people.

Heck...hire the guys from Mount and Blade ;)

Problem solved!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
@Tintin

Really? Well, explain your position then.

The way I see it, it's not something that would really affect everything, like implementing a turn-based combat, or even adding horses as a feature. Horses are in, riding animations are in. Adding mounted combat would have been a matter of time, money, and some priorities. Bethesda had the first two, but fucked the third one.

@ Roger

Yes, mounted combat is the key feature in M&B, so what? Are you comparing some indie 2-people team to a fully blown game development team? I hope not.

Micmu

Magister
Roger P said:
Isn't it your guys' job to complain about things that Beth is removing, as oppossed to not adding? I could go archive some threads about no mounted combat at the TESF if I wanted to hear this argument, but I'd really rather not.
How about -- they removed stuff for the sake of new things that aren't fully functional?

Roger P

Novice
Does M&B have guilds, different playable races, 200 dungeons, a 16 sq-mile game world, or fiery portals to other dimensions? Is it fully 3d? Havoc physics? No, probably not 'cause it's a game made by 2 guys who FOCUSED on mounted combat. Really, Vault Dweller, I thought you were a game designer. Surely you can tell the difference between the two games. Or do you really enjoy being incredulous?

Roger P

Novice
"Then why did you try and start one?"

What the fuck are you talking about? Read the last page where you went to go play the M&B demo as ammunition in this argument. It's right before I posted.

Roger P

Novice
Trolling? I thought we were discussing? You know, discourse 'n all. I simply don't agree with every thing being said.

Roger P

Novice
Angler, "I could be wrong" in English means "I could be mistaken", "I'm not sure", ect. As for mounted combat in Oblivion, I'm not really crushed that it's not in. I don't care enough to go searching for dev quotes to expose Beth as the lazy company that is contributing to the downfall of the rpg genre. My only point was that because M&B has mounted combat doesn't mean Oblivion has to.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Roger P said:
Does M&B have guilds, different playable races, 200 dungeons, a 16 sq-mile game world, or fiery portals to other dimensions? Is it fully 3d? Havoc physics? No, probably not 'cause it's a game made by 2 guys who FOCUSED on mounted combat. Really, Vault Dweller, I thought you were a game designer. Surely you can tell the difference between the two games. Or do you really enjoy being incredulous?
We are not comparing two games, we are talking about a certain feature, that could be implemented without affecting anything else. I'm not asking why Oblivion doesn't have proper dialogue trees - that would have been impossible considering the style of the game. I'm just curious why a relatively minor feature wasn't implemented while a 2-people team lacking experience, money, and support could do it. It's like asking why xbows were removed. Guilds, races, and other stuff have got nothing to do with it.

Roger P

Novice
Vault Dweller, how do you know that it wouldn't affect anything? It could be a balance issue, or something else. Why are you pretending that implementing features is just so easy? The only ones who could make such judgments would be Beth developers. And since you don't believe anything they say, I guess you'll never really know why mounted combat was cut.

Tintin

Arbiter
angler said:
Oh right, Tintin started the argument on Mounted Combat. I really can't tell you two apart. My apologies.

:lol: Just like I can't tell every RPG Codexer apart.

"Yo oblivion sucks"

"yea lolz no mounted combat"

"vote yes on 2d gfx in 2006!"

"we rule the world"

Adding mounted combat would have been a matter of time, money, and some priorities.

And cause serious balancing issues. If they had mounted combat real combat would no longer be neccessary and the game would be easy. Just get on a horse, run up to your opponent, slash him, and keep running out of sight. Then, turn the horse around, go back and do it again till they're dead.

Roger P

Novice
My apologies, I just don't get off on playing arm-chair developer. And right after you dismissed the "M&B has it, Oblivion should" argument, you procedded to explain, "Well, two amatuers did it, why can't Bethesda, with all their money." We're going in circles here. Could you guys pick another indy game with mounted combat, for variety's sake?

Roger P

Novice
Repeat: I don't get off on playing arm-chair developer. How the fuck should I know why they cut it? Are you waiting for me to break down and say, "Okay, they're lazy!" and run back to the TES forums (which I've never posted at.) It would help your argument if mounted combat wasn't implied in the title of the game that you're juxtaposing Oblivion with.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Roger P said:
Vault Dweller, how do you know that it wouldn't affect anything?
Well, would adding xbows affect anything other than time/money on models/animations? No. Same here. Considering that horses are already in, there is no good reason for not having mounted combat in, unless it's a marketing "let's keep some cool features for expansions" thing.

It could be a balance issue, or something else.
Like what? Balancing means playing with attack/damage/defense numbers and mechanics, it's not like adding another class where balancing actually means a huge amount of work of going through every quest and encounter.

Why are you pretending that implementing features is just so easy?
I dunno? Because I have a truckload of programming (non-gaming though) experience? Because I've been working on my own project for over a year now? It's not really a rocket science, you know, that's why modders did so much improving MW and adding tons of features.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Tintin said:
Adding mounted combat would have been a matter of time, money, and some priorities.

And cause serious balancing issues. If they had mounted combat real combat would no longer be neccessary and the game would be easy. Just get on a horse, run up to your opponent, slash him, and keep running out of sight. Then, turn the horse around, go back and do it again till they're dead.
Are you saying that a horseman is impossible to kill in real life? Think again. They have an advantage and they have a disadvantage. Same mechanics would apply.

Roger P

Novice
I'm genuinely curious, Vault Dweller, what is your programming experience? Have you worked on any games I may have heard of? You seem to speak very authoritatively on the subject. Please indulge me.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Do you have any reading comprehension problems? Let's read together then: "...I have a truckload of programming (non-gaming though) experience." I've underlined the key part. I've never claimed to be what I'm not. As for my project, you know what it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom