Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline On why boss combat is shit (and why your favorite Soulslike sucks).

Are you fed up with "boss" combat in games?

• Yes, 'tis high time to fight assholes like me instead of some puffed up clown shows

• Nay, I'm fine with swinging my sword 20,000 times, I won't stand for hitpoint communism

• I wonder if Crispy will Retardo this shitty thread.

Results are only viewable after voting.
There is a whole cult of gamers who think Dark Souls, Sekiro, Elden Ring, and similar games like Nioh represent the height of video game combat or action RPG combat. I will now proceed to explain to you why they are wrong.

Boss combat didn't start with these games of course, it has been a fixture in video games ever since the days of game arcades in the 80s, and almost all RPGs feature some kinds of bosses. My personal guess is that this is due to several factors:

1. It is a legacy of video game history. Arcade games were some of the earliest popular offerings in the industry, so it seems natural for other games to borrow some of their elements, including a procession of bosses increasing in difficulty.
2. It is one of the easiest and laziest ways to structure a video game or an RPG: at key points of the game progression, have the player face some "boss" with arbitrarily more powerful abilities/stats, make them beat it to progress, test their skills, etc. Almost any other way to structure a game into segments would involve more effort: e.g. you would have to design a world with multiple segments thematically/structurally/narratively... Much easier to just take some NPC, increase their model size, change hitpoint variable by a thousand times, and give them a few OP abilities.

The problem with boss combat is that it is guaranteed to be shit. To understand why, imagine the video game version of "bosses" in a movie or a book (so called more serious and mature entertainment media). It should be pretty obvious that no kind of elegant or interesting combat is possible when one combatant is a human (or close to it), and another is Godzilla or King Kong or Superman. Given the massive disparity in health, damage, abilities and so on, no combat system can be devised for one of these to fight the other, so they have to fall back on some cheesy shit. That cheese shit might work once in a movie, but in a video where you have to do it many times, it quickly becomes a waste of time.

To put it another way: actual real world combat systems are fascinating, whether we talk about historical sword fighting, archery, martial arts, boxing or special ops. That's because they involve combatants with roughly similar abilities, and thus become high speed games of chess. A boxer keeps throwing out feints, watching his opponent react, then on the basis of this reaction, anticipates where to throw his next punch in advance of the opponent's movement. A swordfighter chains a parry into an attack, at the same time moving his feet to get out of the way of the response.

But with "bosses", none of this matters. Since their abilities and stats do not parallel your character's, but are vastly inflated, you cannot engage with them on a level field. Instead, they have all the initiative, and the only thing you can do is "figure them out". Learn their patterns, and then respond to them. A boss being harder just means they have more patterns to figure out (more phases, more types of attacks, etc). That's why RL combat is designed for you to face someone you don't know and do well against them, because it's based on general principles. But boss based combat is based on dying a bunch of times to learn the boss patterns.

Mostly, boss combat reminds me of you (the player) jumping through hoops for developers, like a nice dog. Which should be the opposite of fun for most normal people.

Games with combat based on general principles, on the other hand, can be absolutely fantastic (for example Kingdom Come: Deliverance, once you remove master strike, or Mount & Blade games). There are no bosses in these games, they have characters who are stronger and more important antagonists in the story, but they are sure as hell aren't "bosses", and play by the same rules as you do.

It's time for developers to stop using the shitty boss trope, and instead introduce general principle combat, ideally based on RL fighting arts to some degree.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Also, for whoever believed DS was some epitome of a "hard" game,

Rotkboxart2.jpg

ps1_ninja_shadow_of_darkness_p_e4z4py.jpg

latest

Last edited:

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
I don't give a shit about bosses. I can handle 3-5 in a game. But souls has become nothing but bosses. I'm so fucking sick of the lock on based toddler combat. Even fucking Armored Core 6 got infected by that shit. Every fucking enemy is treated like a boss with that system because wankers cannot play well enough to crowd control effectively. So they want cheese-able kiting based garbage with 2 attacks. Pieces of shit.

Dragons Dogma 2 looks to be the only without the lock on crap in a long fucking while. Team Ninja also got infected with that shit, they fell off so hard from Ninja Gaiden.

tritosine2k

Erudite
It's a good excuse for the dev to spend time on key animations and quick time events because youre guaranteed to see it.

As far gameplay goes it's braindead shoehorned, you arent even "figuring it out" so it's semi-opportunitistic.

IRL the only ones figuring things out are soulslop devs because they figured out they can just turn the crank and consoom will follow.

Arryosha

Learned
Sometimes large, powerful, bullet sponge enemies can be okay because they add variety to pacing and strategy. I'm thinking of enemies like the Baron of Hell in Doom.

I think it's the other aspects of boss fights the op mentions that are what makes them annoying.

I'm not sure if it applies to souls games because I never really played them, but being locked in an arena is another boss fight trope that was never fun (maybe the "lock-on" mechanic previously mentioned is the souls equivalent). Aside from limiting your strategies, it ruins immersion. I get that it's done to amp up intensity and add to the relief of beating the boss, but that benefit just isn't worth it.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
It is one of the easiest and laziest ways to structure a video game or an RPG
Good boss design is in fact quite challenging since they're meant to be unique enemies, not only from a gameplay perspective but also because they have story significance
As for structure, it very much depends on the game - genre, mechanics, story, etc...

It should be pretty obvious that no kind of elegant or interesting combat is possible when one combatant is a human (or close to it), and another is Godzilla or King Kong or Superman.
Entirely dependant on the game's mechanics

But with "bosses", none of this matters. Since their abilities and stats do not parallel your character's, but are vastly inflated, you cannot engage with them on a level field.
Entirely dependant on the game's mechanics and boss design

Instead, they have all the initiative, and the only thing you can do is "figure them out". Learn their patterns, and then respond to them.
One paragraph earlier:
A boxer keeps throwing out feints, watching his opponent react, then on the basis of this reaction, anticipates where to throw his next punch in advance of the opponent's movement.

That's why RL combat is designed
giphy.gif

Games with combat based on general principles, on the other hand, can be absolutely fantastic (for example Kingdom Come: Deliverance, once you remove master strike, or Mount & Blade games). There are no bosses in these games, they have characters who are stronger and more important antagonists in the story, but they are sure as hell aren't "bosses", and play by the same rules as you do.
It's ironic you say this, as you mentioned Nioh - a game whose combat does revolve around general principles that are apply even to enemies - with the implication it doesn't possess this quality
In fact it does this so well, that a good player can dictate even the flow of a boss battle (and completely curbstomp them as well)
So you either barely played the game, or you payed no attention to its mechanics

abija

Prophet

You can't make good enough AI for "fair" combat. So it's either PvP or games with well designed bosses.

Too gay didn't bother reading but, I just want to contribute to this thread by reminding my fellows that Porky complained about struggling against Pinwheel in Dark Souls 1.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
To put it another way: actual real world combat systems are fascinating, whether we talk about historical sword fighting, archery, martial arts, boxing or special ops. That's because they involve combatants with roughly similar abilities, and thus become high speed games of chess. A boxer keeps throwing out feints, watching his opponent react, then on the basis of this reaction, anticipates where to throw his next punch in advance of the opponent's movement. A swordfighter chains a parry into an attack, at the same time moving his feet to get out of the way of the response.
You don't seem to know much about real world fighting. As a lightweight kickboxer, fighting an heavyweight is pretty close to a boss battle where the opponent simply is larger, stronger, and has more endurance. You need to find the patterns in his moves to be able to get the edge. Also RL combat is designed to learn how to beat the shit out of the other as quickly as possible, not some fancy "chess", and it involves much more than knowing how to throw a punch or do a parry: general fitness, whole body coordination, proper breathing, observation, self-control. So stop fantasying, let video games do their things, and maybe join a boxing or HEMA club if you want to know the real deal (that is very much worth it).

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
None of the games listed in OP are RPGs.

That being said, are dragons "bosses" in D&D? Obviously they're not going to have the same stats as any human or demihuman opponent you are going to face. Or should they? Porky, are you saying that you prefer a "level playing field" in your games?

Dare I ask, do you want... level scaling?!?

Zoo

Novice
Max Payne, MDK, Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain - there were the real third-person action games
I really love Max Payne 1-2, but they have bossfghts, the first game even have a really shitty HP-bloated one. I like the oroginal Tomb Raider for the levels, puzzles and platforming, but the shooting gameplay isn't good, it is mostly needed for the tension. However, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden have good bossfights.

bosses are there as an even bigger obstacle and to spice up things. more often than not, they're a game's best part. classic porky.

tritosine2k

Erudite
sometimes
:eek:
Anyway

supposedly a boss in action genre has a headcount under xir's belt then how are you always ill prepared ? Why is it always some arena laid out so xir can just spam abilities and you can just spam back?
That's straight up popamole territory btw.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom