Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OOOUGH IM SO PUMPED FOR DEAD_SPACE_2-FLT BROS

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Good For What It Is.

:smug:

made

Arcane
commie said:
overlooked RPG gems :smug:
Like 2Worlds2. Makes sense bro. You are a beacon of light in this sea of blind rage and hatred.

Fuck him bros! I hear in Dead Space 2 when you stomp on enemies corpses they pop open and loot comes out LOL! Fuck you EA release this game already!!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
made said:
Fuck him bros! I hear in Dead Space 2 when you stomp on enemies corpses they pop open and loot comes out LOL! Fuck you EA release this game already!!

Not only that, but DS2 has different suits to choose from and find, and each boosts certain stats.

I know, I can't wait to swallow this piece of excrement. Why must I wait so long to decline further into abyss.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is something disturbing about stomping on the children corpses so i can get the loot.

And it's gets better.

And even more fucked up!

made

Arcane
DalekFlay said:
Not only that, but DS2 has different suits to choose from and find, and each boosts certain stats.
HOLY SHIT! Requesting mods to move thread to RPG discussion where it belongs!

Oh my god the first Dead Space 1 was so good but now DEAD SPACE 2 IS SO GOOD Dead Space 1 is so shit. It fixes all the flaws of the predecessor which weren't flaws until they worked on the second game, adds new innovative useless features into the game and recycles old game graphics. I heard EA is planning to churn out a new Dead Space every year.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dicksmoker said:
commie said:
Bullshit. You don't get Statis straight away, you get it immediately before you need it. When you get them, all of a sudden you start seeing floor bridges and cranes that you need to push/pull :roll: You need the 'kinesis' power as well, immediately after you get it in yet another example of generic and lazy game design.
That's pretty much the way it works in every single action-adventure game there is, of which survival horror is a sub-genre. The fuck are you complaining about?

No it doesn't, unless you mean the faggot shit you play. System Shock, DX can be considered 'action-adventure' as well, and their 'powers' don't unlock just in front of the obstacles that exist solely to use a power on! You get your powers elsewhere and there's nothing in the games that make their use essential, they are there to complement a play style which is what they should be for. Making a fucking obstacle that exists solely for the use of a power that you just find beside it to overcome is the equivalent of having a key to a locked door, right beside it: completely superfluous. Just because the majority of crappy games like DS do this should not in any way absolve this shit from doing the same, especially with all the fucking hype and fapping it gets even among the Codex.

SimpleComplexity said:
I heard EA is planning to churn out a new Dead Space every year.

Never has a game title been more appropriate for EA (and the mainstream industry in general).

made said:
commie said:
overlooked RPG gems :smug:
Like 2Worlds2. Makes sense bro. You are a beacon of light in this sea of blind rage and hatred.

Yep, come to light brother!

Though stomping on corpses to see loot pop out is pretty AWESUM(tm) indeed! Fuck you loot bags! Fuck you inventory screen! Fuck you 'press E to search'!

:thumbsup:

commie, you are still pretending that comparison between a linear TPS Dead Space and FPS/RPG hybrids with multiple approaches is somehow valid. Why do you do that?

commie said:
Making a fucking obstacle that exists solely for the use of a power that you just find beside it to overcome..

I heard they call these things "tutorials". It's not like you get a new power for every new obstacle to use it a single time.

..is the equivalent of having a key to a locked door, right beside it: completely superfluous.

Only if that key opens every single door in the game.

I've read it has the same V. Sync bug, which doesn't bother me cause workaround is easy. Do you have any more details to give us on why it's a shit port?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
commie said:
No it doesn't, unless you mean the faggot shit you play. System Shock, DX can be considered 'action-adventure' as well,
They are not. They are FPS/RPG hybrids. Get your shit straight.

relootz

Scholar
Dicksmoker said:
commie said:
No it doesn't, unless you mean the faggot shit you play. System Shock, DX can be considered 'action-adventure' as well,

Adventure ? System Shock ?

:lol:

They are primary FPS with RPG influences. Still FPS by heart though.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Dicksmoker said:
commie said:

Bullshit, check out Action-adventure games on wikipedia; even Thief is classed as an action/adventure, so it stands to reason that almost anything is. There's 'action' in Dx and SS and there's 'adventure' with all the exploring, codes to find, puzzles to overcome etc.

So ipso facto they can be classed as 'action/adventures' if you so choose. :smug:

So that makes "action/adventure" a very wide definition that is hardly of any help when describing a game and therefore more narrow definitions should be used when comparing something.
Imagine comparing entirely different movies both in their style and intent merely because they fall under the category of "drama".

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
relootz said:
Dicksmoker said:
commie said:

:lol:

They are primary FPS with RPG influences. Still FPS by heart though.

Tell me why System Shock cannot be an adventure? Are you not undertaking a quest of some sort? Do you not explore and solve puzzles?

Azrael's Tear is regarded as an adventure, though it's 3D, first person, with combat. It's also at times called a RPG. So why couldn't SS be classified similarly?

You think adventure just means point and click and a 2D background?

Multidirectional said:
So that makes "action/adventure" a very wide definition that is hardly of any help when describing a game and therefore more narrow definitions should be used when comparing something,

Yes, that's what I'm getting at, it's a nothing term that can be used to describe most games with elements of exploration and puzzle solving.

commie said:
Yes, that's what I'm getting at, it's a nothing term that can be used to describe most games with elements of exploration and puzzle solving.

Yes, but it is you who started comparing games based on it. Repent motherfucker! :x

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Multidirectional said:
commie said:

Yes, but it is you who started comparing games based on it. Repent motherfucker! :x

What the fuck you talking about? Dicksmoker called DS an 'action-adventure' in an effort to justify it's shittiness and I retorted that if he was trying to protect DS with the action-adventure' tag, then it wouldn't work as DX and SS could be called 'action-adventures' as well. In other words he tried using a nothing term to protect a pile of shit and got called out on it.

commie, you are still pretending that comparison between a linear TPS Dead Space and FPS/RPG hybrids with multiple approaches is somehow valid. Why do you do that?

It's not my fault that DS went linear, and it's perfectly valid to compare it to SS2 on the basis of setting. DX and SS are linear as well, so what's your beef with the comparison? They are shooters as well. DS has stat powerups, like the other games. Broadly comparable I'd say.

I heard they call these things "tutorials". It's not like you get a new power for every new obstacle to use it a single time.

Funny, I don't remember DX having a tutorial on every augmentation you find. I don't remember a tutorial half way into BG when you gain a high level spell for the first time. In my day, players were credited with the ability to work shit out for themselves.

Yeah, you don't get a new power for every obstacle, so what? You didn't realise that you NEVER see any obstacles for the particular powers BEFORE you find them? Why have powers at all if they are just so artificial, existing only to mix up the repetitive gameplay?

Only if that key opens every single door in the game.

No. A shit design decision cannot be explained away by justifying the subsequent arbitrary appearance of constant 'doors' that require this same power. Why all of a sudden only after getting a power, do you run into things to use it on? Please, if you're trying to defend this shit, better find a more worthy use of your time.

So you repent! Shit if you love this shit then all well and good, just don't claim it's the second coming of Andhaira.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
The entire nature of an adventure game is a linear progression through the game that involves manipulating your environment in order to progress. This can and often does involve (gasp!) acquiring tools and objects in order to unlock the next area, as well as puzzle solving. Action adventures are the same thing, except that they have action added. If you want to go ahead and claim that you don't like the entire genre, or that you don't want adventure elements in your games, then by all means. But don't go pretending that Dead Sapce is somehow inferior and isn't using elements that are common to the genre that it exists in.

DX had a separate optional tutorial section (the proper way of doing it) that introduced all the necessary elements, Dead Space has an ingame tutorial like pretty much all the games nowadays. I still don't understand what's your problem, you do get stasis only few minutes in the game. Is it such a bad thing you didn't see malfunctioning doors earlier than that?

commie said:
Shit if you love this shit then all well and good, just don't claim it's the second coming of Andhaira.

I'm not sure what "Andhaira" bit is supposed to mean but I don't love it, I merely like it. Your criticisms are still weak, you could find some more valid ones to really bash the game. Unskippable boring cutscenes for example! :x One of my most hated elements in new shit. Some older games had it, but nowadays almost every game feels the need to do that. See, this detracts from "fun" which really hurts the game, your complaints seem to be related to "immershun" factor, which only faggots care about. :smug:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
commie said:
What the fuck you talking about? Dicksmoker called DS an 'action-adventure' in an effort to justify it's shittiness and I retorted that if he was trying to protect DS with the action-adventure' tag, then it wouldn't work as DX and SS could be called 'action-adventures' as well. In other words he tried using a nothing term to protect a pile of shit and got called out on it.
No, you're the one trying to turn the term "action-adventure" into a nothing term that can apply for almost anything.

It's not my fault that DS went linear, and it's perfectly valid to compare it to SS2 on the basis of setting. DX and SS are linear as well,
No they weren't. Multiple paths =/= linear. Why should I even have to point this out?

Funny, I don't remember DX having a tutorial on every augmentation you find. I don't remember a tutorial half way into BG when you gain a high level spell for the first time.
Yeah, and that's because there was no set point in the game where they knew you would get the power, or that you would get it at all. But in adventure games, it's set everytime, which was my whole point.

Twinkle

Liturgist

Yes and yes. The original System Shock had pretty unique difficulty system. It was divided into combat difficulty, puzzle difficulty, cyber difficulty and mission difficulty. You could turn it into a straight shooter by maxing out combat and setting puzzles to zero. And vice versa. It can be a real first person adventure if you wish it to be.

The entire nature of an adventure game is a linear progression through the game that involves manipulating your environment in order to progress.

Even if the most adventures are linear, it doesn't mean that they should be.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Multidirectional said:
I've read it has the same V. Sync bug, which doesn't bother me cause workaround is easy. Do you have any more details to give us on why it's a shit port?

Other than the v-synch issue I haven't had any problems, it plays pretty well on PC. There is a custom profile you can use to get AA working and the mouse control is perfect.

I am guessing he just means it is a console style game, but whatever, game is fucking awesome.

piydek

Cipher
I haven't played the first dead space yet. I'd like you to help me determine if it's worth playing for me bros. I have to say that despite all the criticism i really enjoyed my playthrough oF Doom3. I played it always late at night, with headphones on. Yeah, i know it relied on cheap scare tactics, but some use of sound was really nice and level design was OK enough for me. I liked it. Now, if Dead space can provide anything similar, I'd consider it more than worth playing. Is it better/worse/comparable to Doom3?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom