Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Alienman
I salute the effort but I can't help to think it's just a matter of personal taste.
A lot of options to make the game more difficult along with more weapons and ammo to make the game ... easier.
Seems quite autistic to me.
Also, a lot of fixes for player exploits I've never used, self discipline beats balance mods every day.

Psi-capture and auto end turn are nice QoL mods though.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
One of the coolest features of OpenXcom is getting a FPS screenshot when pressing F10. I remember when first playing OpenXcom how nice such a feature would be, and I was right.

Explosion Height [3] (explosions explode in 3D, instead of a flat surface)

Hmm...I thought the concensus was that 2 resulted in the most "realistic" explosion. It definitely feels right to me, but I haven't tried 3 to compare.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Alienman
I salute the effort but I can't help to think it's just a matter of personal taste.
A lot of options to make the game more difficult along with more weapons and ammo to make the game ... easier.
Seems quite autistic to me.
Also, a lot of fixes for player exploits I've never used, self discipline beats balance mods every day.

Psi-capture and auto end turn are nice QoL mods though.

Yeah, of course, it's highly subjective, I just find this setup the most enjoyable experience personally. I have tried the other popular mods, but I do find them a bit too bloated for my taste, so I stick with FMP.

I'm not sure the weapons makes the game easier, or harder, I just prefer more options. Mind, the aliens also get new weapons too. Plasma shotguns, heavy plasma, repeaters etc. Also, the mod makes human weapons last a lot longer, it's the reason why you have to research new ammo. In vanilla X-com you can have laser-rifles in the same month, here it takes time. I really like this aspect myself, autism or not. I find it fairly balanced with the new aliens and such, some can really take a beating, so the new weapons like incendiary grenades will play a crucial role.

I don't find the weapon categories overwhelming otherwise, really. There are pistols, standard rifles, shotguns, sniper rifles and smgs. All with their own niche to fill. I will always prefer more options, than just having everyone equipping the same weapons.

Hmm...I thought the concensus was that 2 resulted in the most "realistic" explosion. It definitely feels right to me, but I haven't tried 3 to compare.

I think 3 is supposed to be "round shaped", with equal vertical and horizontal spread. But apparently, the titles are longer vertical, so people don't like 3 that much since it makes the explosion to be more cylinder shaped. I'm not 100% sure, though. I just want most potential destruction myself :)

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I don't find the weapon categories overwhelming otherwise, really. There are pistols, standard rifles, shotguns, sniper rifles and smgs. All with their own niche to fill. I will always prefer more options, than just having everyone equipping the same weapons.

You're preaching to the choir, I always try to use different weapons, even using some heavy laser when it wasn't the best option for variety sake.
That's one good point for Xenonauts, by the way, turning some weapons alternatives into useful ones.

But keeping standard weapons longer... Hell no!
I'm not playing a "sci-fi" tacticool game with aliens to use basic rifles, I want laser and plasma rifles.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But keeping standard weapons longer... Hell no!
I'm not playing a "sci-fi" tacticool game with aliens to use basic rifles, I want laser and plasma rifles.

Hehe, I guess we are different here. I mean, I enjoy the laser rifles and stuff, but it has to come from a struggle. It just feels like a natural evolution to me that humanity would enhance their normal weapons with improved ammunition and such, same with armor - before we get to unlock the secrets of the alien tech. FMP being long you will be using sci-fi weapons for a long time still.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
If a large ship lands in the same spot as a city, does that mean the aliens are negotiating with the locals?
If so, will a successful assault on the ship affect it?

Every time I've used a shotgun in any X-Com mod its always been a disaster. Inherent inaccuracy regardless of the shooter means a lot of missed shots and armor makes multiple small hits a bad idea.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Every time I've used a shotgun in any X-Com mod its always been a disaster. Inherent inaccuracy regardless of the shooter means a lot of missed shots and armor makes multiple small hits a bad idea.

Tried slugs? They are really good against armored aliens at the beginning. Pretty accurate too.

Endemic

Arcane
If a large ship lands in the same spot as a city, does that mean the aliens are negotiating with the locals?

Infiltration missions involve two battleships at the same time. Once they land that's it, as far as I know.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Hehe, I guess we are different here. I mean, I enjoy the laser rifles and stuff, but it has to come from a struggle. It just feels like a natural evolution to me that humanity would enhance their normal weapons with improved ammunition and such, same with armor - before we get to unlock the secrets of the alien tech. FMP being long you will be using sci-fi weapons for a long time still.

You never experienced the glory that is fighting a Terror Mission full of Chrysalids using Firearms firing Alloy Bullets.
Feels like an horror movie, and its glorious.

Not to mention, having more guns is super neat. Sniper Rifles fit very well within the X-COM arsenal, and Shotguns are fantastic close-combat weapons.

FMF also gives other awesome weapons and tools, I remember getting an Anti-Materiel Rifle capable of firing HE rounds, beautiful. And stripping the anti-grav units out of floaters to use them as a rudimentary armor-less flying armor.

I get your points but laser guns are just great and plasma sound effects are really good as well, nothing beats this.
Also, I'm not sure which mod adds a gatling laser but that's the most beautiful thing I've seen in the UFO scene.

As for taking on crysallids with regular weapons, I did it with laser guns once, reaction training, only the strong shall survive...

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Infiltration missions involve two battleships at the same time. Once they land that's it, as far as I know.

Damned, that sucks. I've been as vigilant as possible (well, almost: I don't use the Sky Ranger for patroling), and then this happens in my own backyard. Wonder what drew the aliens to Bangkok of all places?

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
In XPiratez shotguns are actually pretty accurate short range, which makes them a good "training wheels" gun for newbies. Dunno about other mods.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
March was an eventful month in my current game, experiencing Paris at night and clearing out a large alien ship (with Snakes and Chrysalids) that landed outside Bangkok. No report on any deals with the aliens, though. Maybe because Bangkok is not located in a funding country?
I was down to only seven soldiers and no tanks at one point, but now things are looking healthy.

IR4vaNy.png

pb9ZdUw.png

tsR299j.png

dont all xcoms have accuracy effected by range?
To a small extent. The way it works is that if the game says you have a 75% chance to hit, then you have a 75% chance to bullseye the enemy and a 25% chance to have some level of dispersion (the bigger the chance the bigger the possible range of variance) which may still hit the enemy. In practice this means the penalty from range is very small. There's a mod option within openxcom to have additional range penalties that start taking effect depending on your shooting style and distance.

Endemic

Arcane
Damned, that sucks. I've been as vigilant as possible (well, almost: I don't use the Sky Ranger for patroling), and then this happens in my own backyard. Wonder what drew the aliens to Bangkok of all places?

Eventually those missions will happen depending on the difficulty, and are almost impossible to stop. Basically a soft time limit.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So, OpenXcom scales to level?
My tanks are getting progressively weaker, from virtually indestructable to not surviving being shot by a Septoid with a Plasma Pistol. Didn't lose one in my 20 or so first missions, but now I lose one on every mission. The last one took one step and was shot from an inhuman angle.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
So, OpenXcom scales to level?
My tanks are getting progressively weaker, from virtually indestructable to not surviving being shot by a Septoid with a Plasma Pistol. Didn't lose one in my 20 or so first missions, but now I lose one on every mission. The last one took one step and was shot from an inhuman angle.
It doesn't but after 20-30 missions, those Sectoids would be using heavy plasma.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
He probably lucked out and got 200% damage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom