Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron
With the settings I'm using (alien weapons breaking being the key one) I find myself hunting those grounded Large ships to raise money. I'm not able to shoot them down yet, but they are quite easy pickings on the seabed.
I even relocated most of my crack team to a base close to one of the two Alien Bases I've found, in the hope of being able to raid their supply ships. With a haul selling for about 2 million it's worth the effort, I think.

It's a terror mission, why wouldn't there be civilians on the ship? The difference is mostly whether you get a cargo ship or cruise liner, and the type of aliens present.

First mission there were only civilians in second part. In the second there were civilians in the first part. The part of the dark ship (no electric lighting?) I saw before making a strategic regrouping back to HQ had the same layout as the firsy ship. It's not very important, though.

Bio-Drones are the cyberdisc equivalent. Pretty annoying when they explode and cause collateral damage, though you can avoid that by tasering them\using the thermal launcher.

That's silly. On second thought, maybe not, IIRC about that autopsy report.

Endemic

Arcane
First mission there were only civilians in second part. In the second there were civilians in the first part. The part of the dark ship (no electric lighting?) I saw before making a strategic regrouping back to HQ had the same layout as the firsy ship. It's not very important, though.

Perhaps they moved between decks or got killed before you explored the whole section. Or in rare instances, only spawned in one half of the mission.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think I've become an OpenXcom addict...

Some thoughts about TFTD:

Basically it's just a rather lazy reskin of the original. Most grating is the fact that subs are "flying" and not restricted to water, and to a lesser degree that you can't swim up and down in the water. But I guess the latter is for balancing reasons.

Sonic Rifles, what are they good for? OK, so they use 10% or so less of your TUs than a Sonic Cannon does, but with no auto-fire and with the cannon not requiring much strength (unlike Gas Cannons and Torpedo Launchers), there's hardly any point in using them instead of a cannon or pistol+grenade/melee weapon/med-kit/motion detector.

I like the idea of setting up a second base on the opposite side of the world from the first one, and at one point splitting your team. That way you can always (I think) reach Terror Sites in daytime without resorting to Caeling cheating cunningly abusing undocumented design features.
Setting up next to an alien base, the supply ships are a great source of income when money is tight thanks to playing with breakable alien weapons. But it gets a bit boring when whole months pass without any other subs to secure or terror attacks on land. I must have fought the same battle agains Gillmen three of four times now.
Incidentally there seems to be a very small chance of one of their squad leaders spawning with a Disruptor Pulse Launcher. I'd like to secure one of those bad babies before assaulting a base. OTOH it's when I can just spam Disruptor bombs that I tend to lose interest in my current game and begin thinking of starting a new one...

Endemic

Arcane
But it gets a bit boring when whole months pass without any other subs to secure or terror attacks on land. I must have fought the same battle against Gillmen three of four times now.

Any reason you don't have the transmission resolver yet?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
But it gets a bit boring when whole months pass without any other subs to secure or terror attacks on land. I must have fought the same battle against Gillmen three of four times now.

Any reason you don't have the transmission resolver yet?

Been prioritizing stuff like weapons.
But I have double sonars and patrols.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I like the idea of setting up a second base on the opposite side of the world from the first one, and at one point splitting your team. That way you can always (I think) reach Terror Sites in daytime without resorting to Caeling cheating cunningly abusing undocumented design features.

With both my teams heading for the latest terror site (which just happened to right between my bases) ASAP, I now see the flaw in my plan:
Lxbrcvz.png

Endemic

Arcane

:? Gaining a 100% detection rate in a large radius isn't important?

You're in late June according to that screenshot, what weapons are you still needing? Surely you have sonic pulsers + cannons + thermal launchers by now?

octavius

Arcane
Patron

God damn it...I've always assumed it only gave a 10% extra chance, and that the main benefit was the intel about the ships it detected.
homer-simpson-doh.gif

You're in late June according to that screenshot, what weapons are you still needing? Surely you have sonic pulsers + cannons + thermal launchers by now?

Yes. And Sonic Oscillator. I got tired of sub captains telling me "you should have seen the one that got away".

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane

God damn it...I've always assumed it only gave a 10% extra chance, and that the main benefit was the intel about the ships it detected.
homer-simpson-doh.gif

Yes. And Sonic Oscillator. I got tired of sub captains telling me "you should have seen the one that got away".
Played for years. Trolls others on how they play.

STILL don't know what a very important piece of equipment does.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Played for years. Trolls others on how they play.

STILL don't know what a very important piece of equipment does.

Well, it turns out there's a good (?) reason for that. This is what reseraching the Hyper-wave Decoder reveals.
CUGpdKS.png

It says nothing about 100% radar cover.

If you play with OpenXcomEx you'll get a more info button on the ufopedia which lets you see all of the exact details of everything as the game is actually loading the files.

The ufopedia article does say it intercepts Alien communication so it stands to reason that it can pick up anything immediately but it obviously isn't completely clear.

Cael

Arcane
Every piece of alien tech is better than anything Earth-based, but you know what? The generic Day Zero radar system must be better than the alien based radar system.

pp,840x830-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Not gonna lie 40k mod with ROSIGMA is crazy fun, it hits on another level.

Enough ruffian speak, I will say if you get these mods get the cut-scene mod as well it makes the mod look like a professional 40k game, almost if weren't for the bland uninspired, unoriginal maps.

oasis789

Arcane
new update for X-Piratez, version N3

- Gameplay: Ninjas won't start building bases anymore until provoked (except Jack Sparrow difficulty)
- Gameplay: drastically reduced radar ranges of non-Shadowtech hunter-killer enemies

if you were worn down by the ninja drassen counterattack, it has been dialed down

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not gonna lie 40k mod with ROSIGMA is crazy fun, it hits on another level.

Enough ruffian speak, I will say if you get these mods get the cut-scene mod as well it makes the mod look like a professional 40k game, almost if weren't for the bland uninspired, unoriginal maps.
Is there a way to play Eldars? I read something about "allying" with them or something.

oasis789

Arcane
So the new exciting development in xcom world is Brutal AI build, which unfucks the alien AI. It also more or less "works" with the total conversion megamods, so you can use it with 40K xcom files piratez with only a few things breaking.

It also made the air game ten times more annoying than the original:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just looks like you will never be able to shoot down anything again in the beginning of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom