Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Original Sin 1 or 2?

Which ONE game should we play?

• Divinity: Original Sin

• Divinity: Original Sin II

• Neither, they are both terrible. Instead play ___________ (comment below)

• Play both in order, they are both good and I can't read simple instructions

• kc

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Flash poll

A friend of mine wants to play a coop RPG. If we play only ONE of the recent Divinity games, which should we play?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
got a friend who finished 1st in coop and moved to 2nd. I believe he never finished 2nd as it can drag a bit...

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The first one started to bore me halfway through.

For the second one, the boat introduction almost filtered me but i finally completed the first Island which might be around 10% of the game, the armor system is just this terrible.

So, I'd recommend the first one, I must admit I had a lot of fun with my first incomplete playthrough up until the forest but the EE also made the snowy area way worse.
So DOS 1 and play the original version.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
got a friend who finished 1st in coop and moved to 2nd. I believe he never finished 2nd as it can drag a bit...
Yeah, I'm thinking if we play through 1, we might get burned out on 2. If 2 is the better game we should prob just play that and skip the first.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Yeah, I'm thinking if we play through 1, we might get burned out on 2. If 2 is the better game we should prob just play that and skip the first.
you will likely get burned out in 2nd regardless. Anyway myself I cant pick one favorite, both are good and bad in different areas. I think enhanced edition in 1st had nice boss encounters with upped challenge. If your side grill is into tactical stuff id go with it. If into cheese - go with original

Drowed

Arcane
If you MUST choose only one, then take the first one. It is a similar scenario (keeping due proportions obviously) between Fallout 1 and 2. The first game is more dense, shorter, straight to the point. The second brings some interesting conveniences and expands a lot on what the first did, but also bringing more content that is somewhat questionable and even expendable.

DOS1 and DOS2 are both interesting games if it is the kind of game that interests you. And in the end after playing 1 nothing stops you from buying 2 later if you want more.

KateMicucci

Arcane
For coop specifically the first one is better especially if you take Lone Wolf.

The 2nd is better in many ways and the armor system it introduced is great, but companions work differently so it's not as good for coop.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Make sure we get a good LP regardless of the path you take. Especially the fellatio.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played both to completion.

The first game has less good writing and the story is basically just window dressing, it's all about the combat.

But the second one's story is tonally inconsistent, combining silly Larian writing with some grimdark drama, and there's TOO MUCH TEXT like in most modern RPGs. Overall it offers more to a storyfag than the first game tho.

Combat, however, is MUCH better in the first game. They tried to fix the first game's problems in the sequel by replacing them with even worse problems. The armor system sucks. The initiative system sucks. Complete downgrade from the first game in every way.

So if you're a combatfag, play the first game.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Such a mixed view. One guy said armor was good then Jarl said it wasn't. I tend to agree with Jarl due to seniority but then again seniors are crazy.

I enjoyed DOS1. It was fun, not pretentious, had good exploration (most of the game), and OK puzzles. If you're a mage supremacist, you will enjoy stomping everything with a 4 mage party and maximizing the spell interaction hijinks. You're not playing for the story, but to mess around. The game has a borderline sandbox feel early on.

I have quit DOS2 twice. Its not that I hate it, or that its bad, just that it keeps sliding on my backlog priority. Early game has a slow rev-up, imo. The armor and initiative systems are terrible. While the plot remains awful, it now takes itself seriously and beats you over the head with it. That said, DOS2 has more coop features and reactivity, so you might get more out of it than I did as a single player.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh yeah I also really didn't like what they did with the writing when it comes to player responses.

Instead of the usual dialog choices that are written as the actual sentences you say, you get passive third person descriptions.

Instead of
"Hey, you there! Tell me the way to the inn or I'll punch your face in!"

You get
Get the man's attention and ask him for direction to the inn, threatening him with violence if he doesn't tell you.

I really, really, really dislike this way of writing dialog options.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Such a mixed view. One guy said armor was good then Jarl said it wasn't. I tend to agree with Jarl due to seniority but then again seniors are crazy.

Anyone praising the armour system is either trolling or suffers from severe brain damage.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I've only played the first one (not the enhanced edition), and I loved it despite being a very gamey and combat-heavy game. People complaining so much about these games make me think that both the enhanced edition and Original Sin 2 were massive decline, but I won't rule out that we could have way too many retards in here complaining just because they reject games that don't take themselves seriously (their mechanics and plots are deliberately silly), or because they're storyfags.

I'm not saying that Original Sin is a masterpiece (cooldowns are crap, exploration is bad, and other than some charming bits the writing is blaaaand), I can understand those who don't like this game, but it's hard to believe the amount of hate it gets around here. I know it's Codex tradition to hate mainstream RPGs, but making turn-based RPGs at the time was still a huge risk and Divinity: Original Sin delivered, helping to reverse that trend; But even ignoring the positive impact this game had on the industry, it's still one of the best non-indie RPGs from the last decade, way better than Pillows or Shadowrun Returns at the very least.

The little I noticed when I tried a couple of hours of the Enhanced Edition version though was that they nerfed many utility spells so people could no longer sequence-break quests, removed one of the best songs in the game, and spent a lot on money on mediocre voice acting (killing the original cheese vendor in the process), which was all decline, and they also revamped the combat system and added new weapons like grenades, completely changing how the game played (I didn't play enough to judge its combat, though). So consider avoiding the Enhanced Edition.

Not in the Enhanced Edition:

RIP

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom