Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline OSR Games - Official thread

Discussion in 'The Gazebo' started by catfood, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Curratum Cipher

Curratum
    Unified dice mechanics is just good design.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

TheDiceMustRoll

:abyssgazer:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Bara Savant

Bara
    You're systems pretty darn cool and if he can't find another type of fantasy he enjoys in it I'd say the issues are definitely more on him after that dice throwing nonsense. If talking to him to reign that shit back in and if he something upsets him about the game but can't talk about without throwing a fit I'd just give him the boot. You're other players will most likely thank you for it.

If it helps I'm starting to see a few more pieces of new art in the updates to the pre-release pdfs. Such as a new piece of art on the drow page and a two-piece full color spread of epic crab battle. I do enjoy the fact the druegar is squinting his eyes to try to see in sunlight.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Alex betthurt

Alex
    Did anyone notice that grognardia is finally updating again?

• incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Sacibengala Savant

Sacibengala
    Yep. Good for him. But the artcles are good as it were before?

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Stormcrowfleet Arcane

Stormcrowfleet
    Color me interested

^ Top  
  7. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

TheDiceMustRoll
    well dm me so i dont forget

^ Top  
  8. Bara Savant

Bara
    ^ Top  
  9. nyjsu Educated

nyjsu
    Haven't played SWN but read the pdf and stole the skill system for my own games. I really like Crawford's writing and no-nonsense approach as there's just the right amount of flavor with most of the focus being on the ruleset. Also the GM sandbox tools seem great. Definitely backing Worlds without number.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. AdamReith Savant Patron

AdamReith
    So is there a remote play scene for any of this stuff.

I was very excited when I found out that OSR is a thing but couldn't find anybody playing anything but 5th in Dublin. (If 5th is truly for homos that checks out.)

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Sacibengala Savant

Sacibengala
    You can check out the discord channels available for OSR, but be aware. If you think that the 5e crowd is pretty liberal for your tastes, fasten your seatbelt, because you are coming for a ride. There are some facebook groups you could checkout as well.

^ Top  
  12. pakoito Arcane

pakoito
    I plan to move there in a couple of years and I'm open to grognarding with some anglos, if you can wait.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Bara Savant

Bara
    I’ve had great luck with people looking to play with the OSE rules to avoid the nonsense on roll20.

But yeah I recommend looking on Facebook groups as others recommend. Or any place where you can check a persons post history and see where they dabble.

^ Top  
  14. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

TheDiceMustRoll
    I wouldn't mind running a game or two of my system. Gotta get some playtesters going. dm me with times

^ Top  
  15. infidel StarInfidel Developer

infidel
    Make him roll for every ability on changing hosts. On good rolls, you retain it, on bad rolls you have it at half or something. On fumbles, he outright loses it. Plus make him roll for successful host transition. On failure the transition was bad - he's too weak and stuck with that host for a while until he can attempt another host change. If he dies in a weakened state, it's a final death for him. This will add some problems and danger to the transition period while retaining some semblance of balance.

Another possibility is splitting up parasite knowledge and host knowledge. At the risk of plugging my computer roguelike, the parasite retains all skills on changing hosts (since it's its knowledge), but host stats are used for all appropriate rolls instead (since its host body). But that probably would not work for your system, you don't seem to use the stats layer as far as I can see.

To sum it up, parasites are cool, and any sane players can be accommodated with some custom rule additions :)

^ Top  
  16. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    ^ Top  
  17. Morblot Aberrant Member Patron

Morblot
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    SWN is B/X D&D's and Traveller's love child.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Bara Savant

Bara
    So some time tomorrow the pledge manager for OSE advance fantasy should be up again and all renaming emails inviting people into it should be sent out.

So don't forget to add your address and shipping and end up like those poor folks who missed out on their rewards like every kickstarter.

Also Morblot I gota say thank you again for talking to me about OSE and OSR in general. I've been able to find so many more games with it rather than just advertising/looking for B/X games.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Sacibengala Savant

Sacibengala
    For me the shipping for extra stuff are pretty high. That was a bug or something?

*Compared with the shipping for the rewards of the kickstarter I already backed.

^ Top  
  20. Bara Savant

Bara
    I think it was a bug they did say in update 20

So either they set the wrong options or something else I guess we'll know for sure tomorrow

^ Top  
  21. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    How do I start tabletop role playing?

^ Top  
  22. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    It generally helps to find an RPG group, or failing that create your own, first. :M

^ Top  
  23. pakoito Arcane

pakoito
    Right? I added $20 to get both new adventures and it bumped my shipping costs to $30.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Morblot Aberrant Member Patron

Morblot
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    For me the add-ons (the adventures + the monsters and treasure books) bumped the shipping from $27.50 to a whopping $44.50 :eek: That seems a bit excessive since they're supposed to be sent from Europe.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Melan Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    That can happen if the package gets bumped from one weight category to another. For instance, my global mailing rates for up to 500 g are about $7, but at 501-2000 g, it suddenly jumps to $25 (and from 2001 g, it would be a really unpleasant $66!). Splitting the order can help keept the costs down, but not for weightier items.

Nobody is happy about this, but postal prices have increased significantly in the last decade or so, particularly for international shipping.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.