Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline OSR Games - Official thread

Discussion in 'The Gazebo' started by catfood, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Sacibengala Savant

Sacibengala
    Lamentations is doing free shipping in the US store and 20 eur shipping for any quantity of books purchased in the EU store. Plus 80% of the bundle on drivethrurpg. Links:
    EU Webstore: http://www.lotfp.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=42

US Webstore: https://us.lotfp.com/store/
    Offer ends December 28!

DriveThru, the LotFP Everything Bundle is 80% off normal prices! Through December 31!
    https://www.drivethrurpg.com/.../LotFP-Everything-Bundle...

^ Top  
  2. Bara Erudite

Bara
    Some how I've never heard of Star Frontiers before which is a sci-fi rpg published by TSR back in the day.

Before I go diving into the old books is there lost gold to be found here or was this a forgettable series.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

TheDiceMustRoll
    It's better than Starships and Spacemen but that isn't saying much.

^ Top  
  4. Melan Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
    Even for second-tier TSR games, it is forgotten. That is probably telling you something.

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Supposedly, Lorraine Williams insisted on discontinuing Star Frontiers due to perceiving it as a competitor with a prospective Buck Rogers RPG. Regardless, Star Frontiers was created by TSR specifically to compete with Traveler, the dominant Science Fiction RPG, and your opinion of the game will depend first on your consideration of that particular subgenre of SF and secondly on whether you think Star Frontiers is an improvement or decline relative to Traveler.

I note that the Trove has recently added a multitude of Star Frontiers products that it previously lacked. Also, Star Frontiers seems to have featured the first TSR art contributions from Larry Elmore, Jeff Easley, and Jim Holloway. :obviously:

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Bara Erudite

Bara
    ^ Top  
  7. Bara Erudite

Bara
    Backer Update 27 is out for Old-School Essentials.

Rule tomes and such are done and sent to warehouses. Adventures are in the final stages of writing or editing with a warning while their still on track to have fulfillment done in March possibility of a slight delay could occur.

So might not get our still till April ish. Unless I'm mistaken and they'll ship out the rules tomes first and then adventures?

Also new art from the adventures and stuff

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Sacibengala Savant

Sacibengala
    What do we know about other contents by the authors?They did something interesting before?

^ Top  
  9. Bara Erudite

Bara
    Well Incandescent Grottoes is Gavin so if you got Hole in the Oak or Winters Daughter you know what your in for.

Diogo for Halls of the Blood King made Sharp Swords and Sinister Spells

Donn for Isle of the Plangent Mage previously worked on A Pound of Flesh for mothership

Last one is Holy Mountain Shaker by Luka Rejec who did Ultraviolet Grasslands

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Bara Erudite

Bara
    • incline incline x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Stormcrowfleet Arcane

Stormcrowfleet
    Official adventures? Cool. Do we know what kind of adventures they are? Old school or new school artsy bullshit? (Sorry not a fan)

Birthright Campaign is awesome. We are playing Birthright right now on the 'dex with 5th ed.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Bara Erudite

Bara
    Can't say much about the official adventures for OSE till their out but two are being given for free to all backers Incandescent Grottoes and Halls of the Bloodking so those will be pretty widespread and avaliable to see if they're any good whether you backed or not.

Other than Incandescent Grottoes which I expect to be good since Gavin's making it I have high hopes for Isle of the Plangent Mage. Sucker for horrors from the deep adventures.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Bara Erudite

Bara
    So White Hack 3e will be a thing

For those who've played it how is it? Never tired the white or black hacks

^ Top  
  14. Melan Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
    Some of my players have tried it. It is very simple, but also insubstantial - you are not getting much. OD&D is similarly simple, but at least you are getting strong procedural support, and here, this aspect of the game is not strongly developed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. pakoito Arcane Patron

pakoito

^ Top  
  16. Sacibengala Savant

Sacibengala
    I don’t know why or when this guy became the magnum opus of OSR opinion. I like his channel only to SEE how the books are. It’s a shame that a lot of stuff in the scene he doesn’t even bother to look at. Just because of some bullcrap about the personal life of the author or something else . And I personally don’t like his opinions in general, but OSE is cool, though. At least we still have Bryce and Melan. Is there someone else in the review department that I should look for? Doesn’t need to be on youtube, a blog would be cool.

^ Top  
  17. Bara Erudite

Bara
    Well he dosent do OSR only but I've liked Rpg crawlers reviews. Most of it you probably already know and have opinions off.

I havent seen a blog that does a focus on only reviews though.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Melan Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    Prince of Nothing is gud, and he has more time for reviews than I have these days. Ha can write a great adventure, too!

Did Questing Beast Guy really drop people for their personal life? What's that about?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. Bara Erudite

Bara
    I think its more that the questing beast guy is trying avoiding drama surrounding individuals/products by not covering them like how I havent seen anything on his channel in ages tangently related to lamentations of the flame princess.

He still has those old videos up about Lotfp and hasnt deleted them just never talks about them anymore.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    ^ Top  
  20. Sacibengala Savant

Sacibengala
    Yes, this. He deleted his videos abou zak s. stuff also. He did a review for zzarchov lotfp stuff a while back and got bullied on twitter because of that. I never saw again he reviewing anything about lamentations stuff after that. He does not even mentioned lamentations when he talked about osr influentional systems some time ago.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Melan Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    Obligatory Tyler the Creator tweet goes here...

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Morblot Aberrant Member Patron

Morblot
    [​IMG]

There are some pretty interesting RPG projects currently on Kickstarter as part of the Zine Quest 3 event. Necrotic Gnome has listed a few on their blog: https://necroticgnome.com/blogs/news/old-school-essentials-at-zinequest

Here are two not on the above list I ended up finding myself and backing:
    • The Vast in the Dark - Exploring Ruins in an Infinite World - A zine about exploring the dark and alien megastructures of an infinite realm.
      Apparently it's meant for "the world’s most popular role-playing game", so chances of it being 5e trash mechanically are lamentably high, but the setting itself at least sounds interesting, so I figured I'd take the risk. NGL, they had me at "Brutalist Alien flavor", whatever that means. :D
    • Lowlife - old-school tunnel warfare zine
      For "old-school elf-games, you know the ones". This is a toolset for building "hellhole dungeons", as they state. I'm hoping to use this to ramp up the danger level of my pussy dungeons and to hopefully put the fear of the DM back into my players. The aesthetic is pleasing as well.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Bara Erudite

Bara
    Gona drop Melan's review of The Palace of Unquiet Repose as it sounds pretty awesome

• incline incline x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Bara Erudite

Bara
    If your looking for a Dwarven City adventure Vault of the Dwarven King looks pretty good

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. nyjsu Educated

nyjsu
    Just wanted to drop Bandit's keep YT channel here, pretty good content.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.