Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline OSR Games - Official thread

Corvinus

Arcane
If I wanted to start a game using OSR rules, is Old School Essentials THE modern version to use?

I wouldn't know, but I've played Delving Deeper and I liked that a lot myself. Possibly the closest 1974 clone there is, as far as I know. The old rules exist in quite a few versions though, and much is left open to interpretation. Hypertext document of said rules.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
BFRPG for the above with slightly more "modern" mechanics
What are some examples of "modern" mechanics found in BFRPG?

OD&D is a lot of fun, though, and does some things none of these variants really pick up on. But you need some experience to appreciate OD&D.

Yeah, after sifting through applications for my current game -- 5e, at the moment, so I can get the feel of DMing in general -- I definitely want to go for the older rules and simpler classes for my next game.

Tommy Gun

Arcane
If I wanted to start a game using OSR rules, is Old School Essentials THE modern version to use? I've also considered Basic Fantasy, mainly because it's free and potential PCs can quickly get familliar with the rules.

This vid gives a quick rundown of a few systems.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
This vid gives a quick rundown of a few systems.
Got around to watching it last night, and it was exactly what I needed: clear and concise descriptions of each system.
For me it's missing a description of the systems they're based on. I don't know the difference between OD&D, AD&D, B/X, the other one with 5 books, the Red Box, and any other I'm missing.

Bara

Arcane
The OSE finalized pdfs are rolling out in waves. Just got mine today.

With it comes the new OSE zine which was sooner than I thought it would be. Mage class seems fun.

Sacibengala

Prophet
The OSE finalized pdfs are rolling out in waves. Just got mine today.

With it comes the new OSE zine which was sooner than I thought it would be. Mage class seems fun.
And both tomes has the same amount of pages. 255 each.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I ordered OSE over the weekend and have yet to get it shipped. I wonder if its because they're rolling out new material?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
The booklet is going to be perfect to be formatted and printed in folded A4s, one per PC.

Bara

Arcane
The projects been dead since Dec 2019 with refunds going out but thought it was weird enough to share none the less.

We might have had a becmi based ttrpg for ADOM.

Least thats what I'm assuming seeing in its draft images a chacter going to level 36.

Bara

Arcane
So any suggestions of materials to buy to expand my OSR library while this black Friday sale is active around different places?

Bara

Arcane
Always down for more settings or stuff to help flesh it out. Recently got your Nocturnal Table and it's been great to flesh out the city next to the mega-dungeon I'm running.

Rulesets only if they are their own thing from D&D. I've got the original reprints books and retro clones to cover those.

If there a good rule set for mecha thats more battletech style than gundam I'd definitly go for that.

As for adventures I'd be looking for more Mega-dungeoms ones. Preferable something thats easy to re-skin into sci-fi if such a mega-dungeon dosen't exist.

I want to run something one day where the players are essentially trapped in a space hulk and have to find a way to escape.

Bara

Arcane
We'll the new OSE books are in printing adventures and last of the adventures are still being penned second set of pdfs are gonig out next week if you haven't gotten yours already.https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ool-essentials-advanced-fantasy/posts/3041093

Real intresting bit is the talk about the Dolmenwood setting

Onward Into Dolmenwood!
As many of you know, in addition to Old-School Essentials I've been working on another major project over the last few years: the Dolmenwood campaign setting. Well, now that the Advanced Fantasy books are rolling off the production line, my thoughts have been wandering back to Dolmenwood.

In case you're not familiar with Dolmenwood: it's a folklore-themed campaign setting for Old-School Essentials, located in a creepy, fungus-encrusted forest. The free Welcome to Dolmenwood PDF gives a great (and spoiler-free!) introduction to the setting and its flavour.

The project: Dolmenwood will be published in the form of three big hardback books (of the quality you know from the Old-School Essentials books!): the Dolmenwood Player's Book, the Dolmenwood Campaign Book, and the Dolmenwood Monster Book. The plan is to run a Kickstarter for the books once they're ready. There's a lot of work still to do, though, so the exact date of that is as yet undefined.

A regular dose of Dolmenwood: In the meantime, I've launched a Patreon for the ongoing development of Dolmenwood. Patrons will get access to roughly monthly packages of Dolmenwood content, ranging from playable classes and races, weird folkloric monsters, descriptions of clusters of hexes on the campaign map, write-ups on factions and settlements in the forest, and so on.

Hope to see some of you over at the Patreon!

For those who've read the Wormskin Zines & the adventures written in Dolmenwood how is the setting?

nikolokolus

Arcane
I've been running a game set in Dolmenwood for 2+ years and it's excellent. Very much an acid-fantasy/fairytale kind of vibe (Think Lewis Carroll mixed with Brothers Grimm and a dollop of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell). That said, the zines have a lot of stuff scattered across them and and can be kind of tough to navigate and you'll need to be comfortable using it as a skeleton to hang your own ideas off of, instead of relying on it being a fully fleshed out setting in its own right. If nothing else it can be a great source of inspiration to steal ideas from.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Navigability is an issue, but the zines are consistently great. They are my favourite old-school product of the last few years. The setting proper is very nicely realised, and there is a lot of stuff that can be used piecemeal. One of our long-running campaigns had a halfling character who knew mushrooms, and I got a lot of mileage out of a random shroom table in the first issue.

Bara

Arcane
We havent talked about Lamentations of The Flame Princess for a while now.

Some good news back in October on their website. Apparently their doing better financial after their sale.

22.10.2020: October Update
Things have been going well the past few months. The July sales were more than we can ever have hoped for (thank you!), and we are hard at work on the upcoming projects.

We are running a free shipping order in the EU webstore for orders being shipped to Germany through October 25; the free shipping option will show up automatically show up during checkout.

If you want to hang out with the most dedicated maniacs, ask questions, get recommendations, etc, check out our Facebook group here.

Also dmsguild just added a Print on Demand version for the Dark Sun box set.

Maybe we'll finally get a pod for Planescape campaign setting one of these days.

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

This looks pretty good, even if just for the art itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom