Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline OSR Games - Official thread

Bara

Arcane
Well Gavin's got a in development page for upcoming releases for OSE

Other than the ones we know about here's two new ones.

Official issue 1 of Carcass Crawler
  • New classes: Five new character classes! The acolyte, the gargantua, the goblin, the hephaestan, and the kineticist.
  • New races: Three new character races for Advanced Fantasy games! The gargantua, the goblin, and the hephaestan.
  • Advanced armoury: New types of armour and weapons inspired by the Advanced 1st Edition rules and the 1984 Companion set.
  • Black powder weapons: Complete rules for introducing renaissance-style black powder firearms into your game!
  • Fighter combat talents: Optional rules to give fighters a little extra mechanical perk.
  • d6 thief skills: An optional alternative system for thief skills.
  • Adjudicating thief skills: Optional guidelines for adjudicating the use of thief skills and attempts by other characters to perform similar tasks.
Old-School Essentials Post-Apocalyptic
  • Character options for campaigns ranging from the gritty (think Mad Max) to the gonzo (think Gamma World).
  • Mutations!
  • Full lists of post-apocalyptic monsters and treasures.
  • Rules 100% compatible with Old-School Essentials Classic Fantasy and Advanced Fantasy. Power levels also balanced, for delicious fantasy / post-apocalyptic mash-up possibilities!
  • Simple rules let imagination and fast-paced action take the spotlight.
  • Clear, modern presentation makes the game easy to learn and quick to reference.
Issue 1 of carcass crawlers going to be nice for black powder weapons for couple games I plan to run for sure but after dolemwood I think I'm most excited for the genre shift rules with the post-apocalyptic rule set.

Here's hoping he does Sci-Fi one day curious to see his take on it.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'm still waiting for my OSE delivery, they're taking their sweet time.

aleph

Arcane
Ok guys, sell me on OSE, what does it do better or different than the other OSR systems?
Especially, why use this instead of DCC, Lamentations or just playing old school by using the old Rules Cyclopedia?
Edit: Or Swords & Wizardry for that matter?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Ok guys, sell me on OSE, what does it do better or different than the other OSR systems?
Dead-simple rules that leave room for a good amount of customization, if you want. The physical rulebook is also great.

aleph

Arcane
So, it's main draw is just the presentation and the good physical rulebook?

Bara

Arcane
So, it's main draw is just the presentation and the good physical rulebook?

Gavin's original stuff for OSE such as Dolemnwood or its adventures are really good. But yeah the main draw for me orinally was that I wouldnt have to pull out the red and blue books anymore and flip between them. Though I still do that sometimes just for the classic feel.

I will also say the advanced fantasy books where he ports down some 1e into B/X is pretty sweet though it isn't all that difficult to do yourself yeah.

I suspect start of June to mid June is when books will be mailed out. They have a banner up on necrotic gnome about the extra Advanced Fantasy Books being available for purchase in Juneish after fulfillment of the kick starter is done.

Last edited:

Sacibengala

Prophet
Yeah, I'm on the same "boat". Nothing official, but Gavin said on Discord something about Exalted Funeral are now organizing the stock. I believe this means that the books are already in their hands, at least.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Apart from what was already said, the text is really concise. Combine that with the well thought-out layout and as a result it's the best damn book for actually using at the table I've ever come across.

Edit. best damn books, actually, since I have many.

Bara

Arcane
You all already got the email most likely but just for completness sakes Advanced Fantasy printing labels and starting shipping.

Timelines:

• North America (Can/USA) should start to see labels generated today. This does not mean ALL labels. We have real humans working on these in real time and they will be out as quickly as possible over the next few weeks!
  • EU/UK/ Rest of World should start seeing the pledges going out soon. We are ironing out the final details but hopefully we will have a start date to announce by the end of this week/ early next week!
Important Notes:

• Please remember that we are shipping the adventure Holy Mountain Shaker, at a later date. This will not be shipping with these rewards at this time. Please check previous updates for more info.
  • Should you need assistance with your pledge or any other matter please contact us at support@exaltedfuneral.com.
Thank you everyone for your continued patience! We are SO excited to get these in your hands!

- Exalted Funeral

Sacibengala

Prophet
I'm seeing this getting another couple of month before getting in my hands. Hard times.

Bara

Arcane
So some fella going to be doing a kick starter for a full 1e retro-clone with everything in one book apparently.

77bp8hhloa271.jpg

Art doesn't really evoke a nostalgic feel for me. Kinda reminds of the knights of the chalice actually. And we already have OSRIC though so kinda eh? Though yeah they don't have everything and purposefully omitted some things like psionic combat and stuff from UA.

Might be one to look once the KS launches but never heard of this guy before.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Or ya know, you could just get a POD reprint of any of the original books at DriveThru if you really have such a burning desire to get that 1e experience. You might as well get the full high Gygaxian prose, and the quasi-amateurish DCS and Trampier B&W illustrations that goes with it instead of that bullshit poser art. (Better yet, save your shekels and get Melan's forthcoming RPG)

Bara

Arcane
Yeah mostly linked it since the PDF of it will be a free release like OSRIC and I'm interested in how it'll format the information.

If you're looking for 1e in print 100% agree original material is the best way to go.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The one thing I really liked about OSRIC is that it is pretty well organized and actually easy to use as a rules reference. The main drawback is that it's dryer than a popcorn fart and isn't something you actually want to read for pleasure. But hey, what's one more retroclone thrown on to the stack at this point? (I sort of thought things had moved past that "slavishly recreating the past" stage of the OSR, but more power to the guy I guess.)

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
OSRIC is really a reference work - we use the PDF to look up rules when we are playing AD&D, since the AD&D books often hide them in obscure spots. I don't know what this book is hoping to accomplish. AD&D players are attached to their original rulebooks, and the art is going to be an enormous stumbling block. There was a lot of bad blood between 3e fans and the people behind OSRIC in the mid-2000s, and people have long memories. This art is very 3e, and resembles d20 shovelware like 250 More Feats and The Compleat Monk III. Puzzling somebody thought this would fly.

Bara

Arcane
There was a lot of bad blood between 3e fans and the people behind OSRIC in the mid-2000s, and people have long memories.

Haven't heard about this yet. What exactly happens?

7h30n

Augur
As some of you know, I'll be making a test run of LotFP with my D&D 5ed group. And I can't decide whether I should run Tower of the Stargazer or Tomb of the Serpent Kings. My current overview of them is the following.

Tomb of the Serpent Kings
  • Much more gradual introduction to lethality and OSR concepts.
  • Has that D&D vibe the group already knows well and thus may be boring.
Tower of the Stargazer
  • Does the same introduction as TotSK, but at a much more abrupt & dangerous pace.
  • The module has a much more interesting atmosphere.
Any suggestions on what I should run?

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Eh, you know them and their frustration tolerance best, or why not just ask them? Both are good modules (At least judging by how they read; I have run neither yet), but I can imagine how Stargazer is a bit too frequent nut-kicking for someone who knows nothing but 5e playstyle yet.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Death Frost Doom is also another great way to kick things off (what's better than letting your player's trash your setting in session 1 and then dealing with the fallout?).

7h30n

Augur
Death Frost Doom is also another great way to kick things off (what's better than letting your player's trash your setting in session 1 and then dealing with the fallout?).

If the LotFP test run is successful, I was thinking of starting a campaign and plopping Mt. Deathfrost in the local area. This way I'd let the players bring the misfortune of running Death Frost Doom on themselves :D

Anyways, for my test adventure I'll stick with Tower of the Stargazer, it's suitably weird and not so combat heavy and that should work well with my players. I'll let you know how it goes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom