Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline OSR Games - Official thread

Bara

Arcane
New version of City Encounters be out. It's nice.
jhS9SayE.png

Also, Greg's Dragonslayer rpg is out

Art as always is fantastic in the books but as for rule sets it's as you would expect and nothing to tare your eyes away from whatever your currently using.
It does feel a more complete retro-clone for me vs old school essentials at least as everything's is more written out there vs OSE reference book set up.

Dragonslayer probably a good one to look over for newer players.
Though Dolemwood I suppose would be addressing that issue or you could get Swords and Wizardry instead which is a lot better priced.

There is DM stuff in the back of the book that's useful but nada you couldn't come up with on your own.
Though I'm lazy and will probably just print out those pages to use from time to time for myself instead of doing that.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Bara I have no clue who Greg is or what his products are, but I feel the same for Dragonslayer as for others: what does it bring to the table that I can't get from BECMI, Rules Cyclopedia, or if I want a better organized version, OSE? Because if it's just tweaking class here and there, I can do that myself. I don't want to sound like an asshole or harsh, but I feel like rules tweaking (or lightening up rules, aka "rules lite" versions or "rule hack") is the easiest part to do oneself (and will end up happening no matter the system). Unless someone brings a new subsystem to life (something like ACKS or AER domain rules), or present something very unique (and I guess if it's too unique it's not OSR-compatible anymore), it's kind of pointless for me (and for some others I'm sure). What's the unique selling point of Dragonslayer?

Sacibengala

Prophet
but I feel the same for Dragonslayer as for others: what does it bring to the table that I can't get from BECMI, Rules Cyclopedia, or if I want a better organized version, OSE?
I just skimmed through it (I didn't bought it, by th way, it's really expensive even for a PDF.). It is a B/X clone with some stuff from ADnD sprinkled throughout. Nothing really new or exciting. His choice for art is above average in regards of retroclones. What I heard is that he only made this to get out of OGL and LL (Labyrinth Lord), because he got a bad blood with LL creator (OSR drama that I really don't care enough to explain). The house rules from it looks better than Advanced OSE, though. And it have devil/demons stats for monsters, which are absent from OSE.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
but I feel the same for Dragonslayer as for others: what does it bring to the table that I can't get from BECMI, Rules Cyclopedia, or if I want a better organized version, OSE?
I just skimmed through it (I didn't bought it, by th way, it's really expensive even for a PDF.). It is a B/X clone with some stuff from ADnD sprinkled throughout. Nothing really new or exciting. His choice for art is above average in regards of retroclones. What I heard is that he only made this to get out of OGL and LL (Labyrinth Lord), because he got a bad blood with LL creator (OSR drama that I really don't care enough to explain). The house rules from it looks better than Advanced OSE, though. And it have devil/demons stats for monsters, which are absent from OSE.
Thanks for the reply. I guess it's a pass for me then.

Bara

Arcane
Thanks for the reply. I guess it's a pass for me then.
Yep exactly as Sacibengala said. By feels more complete to mean I just meant it's got the devils and demons plus more spells imported in for AD&D along with some house rules I like more but didn't really need the book for as these aren't that unique ideas.

Really nothing you can't do by yourself already or just use the RC/BECMI books.

NwNgger

Educated
I am not paying £80 for a black & white PoD book no matter how much Greg passive aggressively bitches at people who rightfully complain about his overpriced books. £30 for a PDF? When physical books like Dungeon Crawl Classics are the same price on Amazon? Fuck off.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Is there OSR for other genres like urban fantasy or conspiracy thriller?
I know about silent legions by sine nomine. It's more focused on cthulhu like stuff, though.
Urban fantasy and conspiracy thriller aren’t even in the same ballpark as cosmic horror. I get the impression that I have to make games for these genres myself if I want to see them.

Sacibengala

Prophet
I know about silent legions by sine nomine. It's more focused on cthulhu like stuff, though.
Urban fantasy and conspiracy thriller aren’t even in the same ballpark as cosmic horror. I get the impression that I have to make games for these genres myself if I want to see them.
cosmic horror is just one element of the system. You should check it out.

Fatty

Augur
Esoteric Enterprises is modern occult, I think it would do for urban fantasy. Lots of random tables for rolling up underground and underground societies. There are skills, though, which for some disqualifies for OSR. Not sure about conspiracy thriller, not really my thing. Doesn't seem like its a topic I've come across.

Bestiary from EE:
Law Enforcement
Career Criminals
Mundane Civilians
Occult Weirdos
Cults
The Undead
Artificial Constructs
Ghostly Things
The Fairy Courts
Lycanthrope Packs
Vampire Broods
Animals
Chimerical Monstrosities
Bugs
Weirdness Inhabiting The Undercity
Oozes
Plant Monsters
Mycelid Colonies
Draconic Beasts
The Conspiracies of the Dero
Elementals
Morlock Packs
Troglodytes
Representatives of the Lithic Courts
Aboleths
Paradox Beasts

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
“Conspiracy thriller” deals with X-Files type stuff. Da Vinci Code Jesus bloodline, Roswell grays, Satanic ritual murders, the New World Order, Freemasons, MKUltra and psychic powers, cryptids, Rosicrucians, the Atlantis-Mu War, etc.

Bara

Arcane
Went to Gary Con this year, was nice. Good place to find new things and try out games I wouldn't have seen in my usual feeds.

Got David Hill's Avremier setting over there which I some how never heard of before and enjoying going through it some stuff to use from there for sure if not outright.

Also, I gota say Melan you are one stand up guy. Picked up The Webs of Past and Present while over there and the fact you include a message directing people that they're eligible for a pdf copy is really cool.

While I'm here in other news S&W doing another kickstarter for a monster and character options book.

Updated version of Monstrosities in physical is probably worth it as I only got the pdf.
More interestingly is the inclusion of Domain of Heryngard will be interesting to see Matt flesh out a setting and the revised version of Tomb of the Iron God.

VengerSatanis

Barely Literate
Apparently, I'm famous here. Sweet! Any boobs I can sign with either fuchsia or chartreuse sharpies? Anyone? Bueller? Is this where we can pimp (our) new stuff? If so, I'm just going to plop some stuff here and if any of it interests you, go for it... or feel free to ask questions, give me a hard time (when has that ever happened?), etc.

Not too long (this July) before my Madison, WI old-school, OSR, and traditional RPG convention is happening. VENGER CON III link: https://tabletop.events/conventions/venger-con-iii

Does anyone like long-form, off the wall, session reports? I've been recording last year's and this year's CHA'ALT campaign on my blog. Here's the latest: https://vengersatanis.blogspot.com/2024/04/mysterious-qadaath-chaalt-campaign_21.html

And if you want to see earlier posts, just look for previous blog posts on there.

Lastly, someone mentioned overpriced, B&W, print-on-demand Dragonslayer books. Well, mine are hardcover, full color, cheaper, and professionally printed (limited, signed and numbered 1st editions) and a minimalist OSR rule-set appears at the back of each campaign setting book: https://vengersatanis.blogspot.com/2023/08/hardcover-chaalt-sale.html

Until next time, just... do some roleplaying.

VS

v1rus

Arcane
Reading through the entire thread, at page 21. I've been obsessed with B/X and BECMI for a couple of years, been trying very hard to actually get it to the table, and OSR always seemed curious, but can't say I fully grasped it until now. Now, I think I have a far better understanding of the matter. Still have some practical questions.

1. I read the Mentzer's Basic red book, and I know its functionally identical to Moldvay's, except some minor differences (Thiefs progression table, which I'd actually use OSE/B/Xs version.) What about the X/E part? How functionally identical are they, and should I be porting something from Moldvays to Mentzer? I know people seem to cherich B/X more than BE part of BECMI, but I preferer BECMIs art, and even tho most people never tried CMI part of it, I'd at least like to give it a read, which I figure is going to be easier if I'm already coming from Mentzers writting.

2. Whats the right reading plan if after BECMI I try to dip my toes in OSR? I'm fascinated by LotFP, but from what I understood its essentially a second-gen OSR, taking inspiriation from Labyrinth Lord. All fine, I see no reasont to convert anything, since both LotFP and LL have a bulk of intriguing and fascinating modules (just like BECMI does), and I see no problem with eventually trying out both systems. But whats the preferred method of reading through, say, LL manual after being familiar with BECMI? Just read through it, skimming stuff that seems unchanged? What about coming to LotFP from LL?

3. Same question, but going back - How should I read OD&D manuals after BECMI? Should I even read them? What about S&W? Skip OD&D and go straight to S&W? What with Blueholme? Read Holmes Basic book then full Blueholme? I know these are actually 20 questions, not three of them, thus, what I'm really asking for is advice on how to approach the material, not yes/no answers on specific questions :D Theres.... a lot of excellent material, and I'd be eternally grateful on tips how to approach it.

I find OSR fascinating, but very intimidating, because of it sheer size. And I somehow still seem not to grasp the matter somehow, prolly because I've just been reading about it (manuals, tenfootpole/prince of nothing, codex discussions) because getting my friends to actually run a BECMI campaign never seems to work out fully.

Old One

Arcane
How should I read OD&D manuals after BECMI? Should I even read them?

That's hard to answer without knowing what you want to get out of them. They're almost all pretty good reads, but I don't think it's advisable to dive in and try to read them all at once or anything like that.

I guess I'd advise you to actually play B/X or BECMI for a while. That should give you some ideas about which direction you want to go next.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom