Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline OSR Games - Official thread

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
image.png

image.png

Adventurer. Conqueror. KING.

Trithne

Erudite
Last edited:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is it incline?
It is a complex game that goes far beyond the low-level confines that typifies the modern "OSR", and into high-level play, mass battles, and running empires. It is autistic - there is a reason it is referred to as the Floor Tile Merchant Simulator - but it is well-thought-out, thoroughly playtested, and ambitious. Definitely not for everyone, but a great deal for those who are into this sort of thing.

Fatty

Augur
I'm out of the loop on this particular case, why does reddit hate this rpg?

Oh, Alexander Macris. Who they hate because he... worked for Milo Yiannopulous at one point, and then quit working for him?

I can't keep up with these purity tests.
I made a vague attempt at trying to figure out what the hubbub was all about because I was stuck at a dinner table,waiting for my bill, and this is the conclusion I arrived at. I don’t know, I just fucking buy things I like.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I'm out of the loop on this particular case, why does reddit hate this rpg?

Oh, Alexander Macris. Who they hate because he... worked for Milo Yiannopulous at one point, and then quit working for him?

I can't keep up with these purity tests.
Full disclaimer, I appreciate ACKS as a system (even though I don't play it because it doesn't answer any particular problem I want to answer compared to other system) but I couldn't care less about its creator nor reddits complaints.

However, from my understanding, it's not just Milo. He did collaborate with a few weird people (at least from my point of view) that are interpreted as being "rightist" or something. If you want you can check these threads on reddit, there are always a ton of people keeping track on him with proofs and all. Not trying to defend the guy or reddit (I think they should find another activity than keeping track on him?), but I don't think it's just a "he's into Milo".

On a more positive note, I think it's good news that smaller creator still get good Kickstarter for well made product. Whether we like him or his system, it's well worked and it's cool to have OSR still being popular despite the fact the recent years have been mostly smaller nu-osr product.

Alex

Arcane
This seems interesting. I am not a huge fan of non Advanced D&D, but I have nothing against it either, I just prefer it's bulkier cousin and would prefer something more along the lines of DCC RPG.

That said, I actually got ACKS's Player's Companion as a bonus with my copy of Dwimmermount. From that supplement, the system seems charming, and I might get the pdf books for this. Does anyone know what exactly they plan to change with the new edition?

Casual Hero

Augur
I haven't read ACK, but a lot of these high-level domain books tend to add a lot of complexity that I don't find totally necessary in my own games. Perhaps worse than just adding vague complexity, I don't really want more independent systems stacked on top of each other. B/X already tends to be a bit more mechanically fractured than I like (just using different mechanics for different things like rolling d20 to attack, rolling d6 for skills and checks, rolling under attributes, etc).
For me, the single page on Strongholds in OSE is enough.

Alex

Arcane
I haven't read ACK, but a lot of these high-level domain books tend to add a lot of complexity that I don't find totally necessary in my own games. Perhaps worse than just adding vague complexity, I don't really want more independent systems stacked on top of each other. B/X already tends to be a bit more mechanically fractured than I like (just using different mechanics for different things like rolling d20 to attack, rolling d6 for skills and checks, rolling under attributes, etc).
For me, the single page on Strongholds in OSE is enough.

I would note that you don't necessarily need to start using systems that aren't similar to deal with different things. D&D initially did this (having d6s, d20s and d% for different stuff), I suppose, because it made sense using the different dice and maybe because the designer was simply communicating what he had in mind the simplest way he could ("such and such should happen 1 out of 6 times, or 35% of the times, or whatever). Nowadays, I think almost no one does this kind of thing unless they specifically are trying to emulate how older games used to work. Of if you are Kevin Siembieda. Even DCC RPG that frequently plays around with the idea of using different faced dices to determine success still does it in a self similar way. I mean, a character might use a d14 instead of a d20 to attack in certain situations, but the "scale" is the same, it is not a completely different way of rolling the dice.

All this said, I've always been a bigger fan of how GURPS use 3d6s for success rolls. It still very close to the range of values you get from a d20, but rather than a uniform distribution where rolling a 1 or a 20 is as likely as rolling a 10, you have a nice "bell" shape where rolling 10 or 11 ise much more likely than 3 or 18.

mastroego

Arcane
In Lex Arcana you have a dice points "potential" and you decide how to group the dices.
You can thus select a single dice and hope for the high roll (for instance, use a d12 if your potential is indeed 12 or higher), or play it safe to avoid a low number (using 3d4 in that same case).

I find it brilliant and I think it could even do without the "3 dices maximum" rule.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
it doesn't answer any particular problem I want to answer compared to other system
Such as? Curious about this.
It's trying to be a kind of Advanced OSR with (very good I must say) systems for domain and all. But personally I tend to prefer light systems because of the ease of play (I do 2h sessions nowadays). Also I rarely get to domain play and when I do I really prefer An Echo Resounding as the core system (notably because I can also use it to generate content on the map and all).

VengerSatanis

Barely Literate
Hey, an OSR thread... cool!

Not sure if anyone has ever heard of me (I'm a conservative like Alexander Macris, BTW), but I'm here now. What's up?

I've been slowly tweaking my own OSR ruleset for years. It may never be "finished," but I like how it's progressing. Maybe you will, too. Best of all, Advanced Crimson Dragon Slayer is FREE: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/451651/Advanced-Crimson-Dragon-Slayer

I put out a freebie PDF or two every year, so if you're looking for inexpensive content... I got you, hoss.

Thanks,

Venger Satanis

Bara

Arcane
Man I looked through some of those comments. Apparently Without Number Kevin Crawford guy backed ACKS and people found out because it gave a alert to their kickstarter accounts of "guy your following just backed X!"

A couple were trying to come up with justifications why its okay for Crawford as he's only backing it because he's a game designer too and another one saying they felt betrayed.

Like damn guys just don't play the game and leave it at that.

Alex

Arcane
Man I looked through some of those comments. Apparently Without Number Kevin Crawford guy backed ACKS and people found out because it gave a alert to their kickstarter accounts of "guy your following just backed X!"

A couple were trying to come up with justifications why its okay for Crawford as he's only backing it because he's a game designer too and another one saying they felt betrayed.

Sorry, but what is this drama about?

Bara

Arcane

Sorry, but what is this drama about?
Same drama as before from in the links udm posted.

As a example here's one:

https://www.reveddit.com/v/osr/comments/17fjy02/alexander_macris_the_creator_of_adventurer/k6bmu4k/

Had to use reveddit because apparently the moderators removed that post for pointing that out the Crawford backed the new ACKS kickstarter.

Bara

Arcane
Huh a wotc release for Old-School D&D I may actually be interested in

DnD release schedule graphic of Making Of book

The Making of Original Dungeons and Dragons: 1970-1976

Release date: 18 June 2024

The Making of Original Dungeons and Dragons: 1970-1976 is a piece of history rather than a sourcebook. Wizards calls it a “retrospective historical book” which, thanks to the help of gaming historian Jon Peterson, retells D&D’s origin stories.

It’s over 500 pages long, and it promises all sorts of original art, plus “never-before-seen correspondence between the original creators of D&D”. Oh, and it has a “page-by-page” recreation of Dungeons and Dragons in its original form.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
Their historical art book was decent, but I will only trust this once vetted by people I can trust. WotC's Year Zero-style approach to D&D's past makes this automatically suspect even if Jon Peterson did it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom