Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outcast out on GOG.com

MasPingon

Arcane
I got australian box version/yeeeah/, this was never distributed in Poland. Btw, best game ever made. Now what the fuck are you doing here, get this!

Tails

Arbiter
Master of Orion 1+2 are also, for a 5.99$. Time to feed Atari, eh?

spekkio

Arcane
Waiting for inevitable "oh noez, it doesn't work on mah rig!" drama...

Zeus

Cipher
spekkio said:
Waiting for inevitable "oh noez, it doesn't work on mah rig!" drama...

Yeah, that pretty much goes for any PC game release or re-release in history.

Razz

Educated
I'm very intrigued by this and will probably pick it up at some point.

relootz said:
This is the pinnacle of Belgian game design.
Holy shit totally worth it (Sorry, but I'm Belgian and come on - were you being sarcastic? :()

Also this just in from the GoG reviews:
Outcast truly was the Mass Effect of its time
Seems like the Codex' cup of tea :]

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
There is a damn pretty Crysis mod of Outcast in the workls.

www.openoutcast.org

oasis-moons01.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
outcast was great. too bad about the voxel landscapes. game looks like shit today. pretty shitty VA as well. good music.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Outcast_profilelarge.jpg

That's the original resolution, it doesn't go higher thanks to the voxel engine. Actually looks decent windowed like this but in full-screen it's horribly headache-inducing.

MasPingon

Arcane
Low res(512x384) is the problem but it still doesn't look like shit, I think gfx are nice. It didin't get old like most of 3D games from that time

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Never played Outcast, pretty impressed with it so far. Intro video is nifty, anyway.

But in other news, One Whole Unit Blood is coming to GOG. Which is amazing, as that pack is notoriously hard to find.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Never played Outcast, pretty impressed with it so far. Intro video is nifty, anyway.

How does one go about getting it to run windowed? INI file?

But in other news, One Whole Unit Blood is coming to GOG. Which is amazing, as that pack is notoriously hard to find.

EDIT: The devil did it double-post for..

Hory

Erudite
Did GOG actually made it fully compatible with modern systems? I remember it was a hassle to get it working right and then I wasn't too impressed with it. It does seem like an original game, but is there much to do besides walking and shooting?

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Hory said:
Did GOG actually made it fully compatible with modern systems? I remember it was a hassle to get it working right and then I wasn't too impressed with it. It does seem like an original game, but is there much to do besides walking and shooting?

I installed it. Clicked the shortcut. It worked. CD music and all.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
When I replayed it last year, I was impressed at how good it looks despite all the time. Yes, it is early 3D, has rather low quality textures, but it still comes together pretty well to create beautiful alien landscapes. Another exemple of good art direction being far more memorable than mere technology.

Quilty

Magister
phanboy_iv said:
Hory said:

I installed it. Clicked the shortcut. It worked. CD music and all.

That's great. I tried it on XP a couple of months back and everything worked except for a huge lag whenever I entered water. Hopefully that's been remedied too.

foxfire29

Novice
I just bought this thanks to this thread and I have to ask , is it a deep game and whats the combat/char building like if applicable its just I turned it on 5 mins ago and first impessions are this game has potential to be epic but then Im worried im deluding myself! excellent first impression, thanks for recommend!

A prime example of how when graphics werent the be all and end all programmers would do decent graphics and be utterly creative, fist impression says this has potential to be old school at its best

....final edit on this post

Getting into Outcaast even more and its frankly astounding what was achieved in the game thus far and I have barely scratched the surface

Zeus

Cipher
I think old-fashioned 3D graphics get a really bad rep, while old-fashioned 2D graphics totally get a free pass.

For some reason, "pixel art" is hip and chic and Liz Lemon glasses wearing college students crank out blocky, 2D "art games" and nobody seems to mind. People build Mario pixel-by-pixel out of post it notes and submit the pics to Reddit. The list goes on. Oldschool 2D is in.

But when it comes to oldschool 3D graphics, there's no love or nostalgia for it. (Except maybe retro arcade vector Tempest-style graphics.)

I think that's kind of strange, because yeah, I can look at Outcast or Turok 64 and say, "No horizon, muddy graphics, blah blah blah," but then I'd also have to trash NES graphics or Gold Box games because they're technologically inferior to the 2D beauty of a hand drawn Sega Saturn title or pre-rendered beauty of Baldur's Gate 2. (Nobody seems to have an issue with the art design as much as the low polygon count, or blocky voxels, or some other technical aspect.)

It's weird that when a game with old-fashioned, low-tech 2D graphics comes along, people eat it up. But when a game with old-fashioned, low-tech 3D graphics comes out, people go, 'Hurr hurr, Crysis looks better!'

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
While I do not give a free pass to every 2D game (some old ones really look ugly), lack of technology can help a game to age better than one that tried to use every new trick. King of Dragon Pass may be a bit extreme but I think it illustrates the point well.

Outcast was sortof advanced for the time, despite the use of voxels. That was actually a gamble when you consider that not everyone got a 3D at that time, though the drawback was that you needed to have a good CPU to enjoy it at high detail.

Else I can remember a few early 3D games that still look pretty good today despite the dated technology because of what it actually did with this technology, like my old favourite Dungeon Keeper 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom