Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OUTTA GAS - post-apocalyptic turn-based shooting gallery RPG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.outtagas.com

In OUTTA GAS, you play as “Full Metal” Jack on an epic quest to find gas in a post-apocalyptic wasteland RPG. Travel across four unique acts and blast your way through a bizarre cast of monsters to achieve your goal and get back on the road. Will you make it to the Party at the End of the World on time?

Features
  • Unique shooting gallery combat lets you destroy body tiles to damage monster health and decrease their combat stats. Go for the eyes to reduce their aim, take out legs to make them easier to hit, or blast away claws and teeth to decrease their power - it’s all up to you! Decimate your enemies bit by bit!
  • Over 25 weapons add spice to your savagery. Slash, shred, explode, burn, radiate, or inflict pain on your enemies in many other ways!
  • Over 200 weapon upgrades to increase your deadliness and overall badassery.
  • Over 70 unique monsters to strategically disassemble, any way you like. Master your enemy’s anatomy, uncover their weaknesses, and use the perfect weapon to destroy them in style!
  • Over 50 utility items to fine tune your death-dealing experience. It’s after the apocalypse - do things YOUR way!
  • Over 50 character upgrades to unlock new abilities on your way to becoming the ultimate wasteland warrior!

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I'll have to try this eventually, the reviews of the Early Access version vaguely suggest fun combat, various customization options (weapons & upgrades) and secrets to find but I'm still really not sure about what to expect in practice.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Were the graphics made by 8 year olds or something? Also, what does this trash have to do with RPGs? Bleh.

ColCol

Arcane
The game is pretty decent. Pure combat and exploring, nothing else. Combat is a mixture of jrpg-like combat and fallout Vats system. You get a turn and the enemy gets a turn. Each turn you get three action points to do with as you please. You have three equipped weapons at a time and you will be spending your turns choosing a weapon and a body part to attack the enemy on. Hitting the enemies in certain spots will weaken their ability to hit, dodge, may hurt them a lot more than normal, and more. In one battle, for example, I was running out of resources and only managed to survive because I took out the monster's eyes and it could no longer hit me. Weapons can also have different effects, like bleeding damage over time. You also have a large number of consumable drugs that you will use, like one that refreshes your ap instantly.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I'll likely wait to be able to play on a better pc to go on but based on the only hour I spent on the game it seems to be very fun with many customization options (weapons and upgrades) to spend you money meat on, actual resource management and a cool combat system. If not then I don't know but if the proposed metal mood and dismembering appeal to you then I think you should at very least give the demo a try.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
So why did I think of this? Hey, I had fun with it but that won't help you so let's go with the extensive answer.

What's an RPG?

You control a single character, there's no primary stat and there's no visible character sheet. Your equipment is composed of some weapon slots, one consumable slot and some generic accessory slots. Enemies only give meat when you kill them, and meat is actually money rather than XP, but tapes that are limited and you'll need to find definitely act as XP points to spend in practice. Finally the game features a nuanced turn-based combat system with detailed combat stats and what's more or less a campaign through actual « dungeons » (sometimes outdoor).
Rl0CK8S.png

Make what you want of that.

About the presentation

This is actually relevant as my opinion is that overall the game looks super cool and you might not agree with that. That's not evident when looking at a screenshot from the beginning of the game for sure, but I really like all the unique and detailed exploration screens and by the end of the game all the enemies are two screen tall. They're not all unique and they're variations on similar ones but they're still plenty of cool designs, the bosses generally look super cool and of course all those organs to reveal and eject out of their bodies make them all the more cool.
8SiiNBD.png

The overall presentation, metal music, over-the-top heayv metal post-apo atmosphere, mutant enemies, all the, uninteractive, dialogs consisting in the character and whoever he's talking to insulting each other and the plot consisting in the character looking for gas are half of the charm of the game as far as I'm concerned, the game is one of the games with the most cool vibe I've played and if they don't appeal to you then I'm not sure you'll enjoy the game regardless of gameplay considerations.
7qicS72.png

The walking and the equipment

You'll get to explore a few successive big dungeons. They're midly open, you can explore a bit but will have to explore the key locations with bosses in a given order.
xPjylGA.png

Unfortunately environments are not super interactive. However they're tons of items hidden out of sight, typically behind pillars or just above a wall. They're mundane items, ammo, bombs, buff and healing items, all you will be able to buy at will at some point but some of them you can't buy yet when you find them, which is an alright compromise so that they don't feel like too boring finds yet you won't feel the need to hoard them. A few strong weapons are also hidden, I missed at least one that I can see but don't own the needed key while I also found a super satisfying one this way.
ens2e2d.png

The roster of items is reasonable but all the items are named and come with a cool visual. They're some basic healing items, some bombs of various kind as well as quite some unique accessories providing various passives. Finally you can either buy or find about 20, all unique weapons in total. They're 3 types of ammo and the amount of consumable of each type you can carry is limited. I really like the visuals of the weapons and accessories.
iq6bBcz.png

Turn-based dismembering

You'll spend a good part of the game fighting. The game uses an original and well thought battle system. During your turn you've got a few action points that you'll generally spend targetting various parts of your opponent's body. The different weapons can damage a few particular different patterns. Piercing the flesh will reveal organs which will get ejected from the enemy as soon as they're completely revealed. Destroying the right organs will disable the damage, aiming or dodging stat of the enemy but more important than that it is particularly thrilling.
M5CrT8Y.png

You'll get to equip several weapons as you advance through the game and you will only be able to buy and upgrade a few weapons to the max during the game, which is great as it means the choices of weapons are real definitive choices. Between the type of ammo, and you probably want more or less one weapon for each type of ammo by the end, the different patterns and some really relevant additionnal effects such as armor piercing the weapons feel different and unique. Choosing which one upgrading as you play is fun too, and their rise in power as you upgrade them is real, even the knife will be an interesting weapon which can make an enemy bleed to death if you upgrade it to the max.

If you find most tapes then by the end of the game you'll be able to unlock most character upgrades but during the game you will still choose between different upgrades. They include basic stat upgrades, various big bonuses in the first turn if you won initiative and various ones if you lost initiative as well as upgrades linked with your adrenaline bar which can be spent for special bonuses such as an extra action point or healing yourself.
B9bOUMz.png

Many accessories are very unique too.

I think the difficulty will highly depend on how you play and the game will adapt well to different playstyles. I really took my sweet time, run unto most enemies while you can often avoid them. Because I did then I needed to get back and fourth to previous checkpoints to get back to town to refill my ammo quite a bit, earning some extra money in the process. Killing many enemies of a kind gives you extra bonuses so I gained that too. I also spent a substantial time trying not to miss too many things in the corners. Playing this way the bosses were not much of a threat as a result.
Q0MuYin.png

However the thing is that you'll find plenty of things when exploring including both types of money/XP and ammo so if you prefer to try to move forward and actively try to avoid enemies instead then I think you'll get a fair but challenging game which is certainly built to allow to play this way. If anything if you don't feel the need to run into all enemies like I do then the game will only be more fun for that, as the game is rather built this way with plenty of enemies but which can generally be avoided, I could say I faced more enemies that I would like but it was only my own fault. Enemies slowly respawn.

I took a note that there's a fast combat option at some point so I'll mention that.
H6Swlgw.png

In the end it's a quite unique game carried by a well rendered over-the-top heavy metal atmosphere and an original battle system about dismembering big weird mutants in turn-based mode that I had fun playing. I think that if you're intrigued by both aspects then it's worth checking at least. A demo's available so you can try the game for free.
XyZkv7x.png

SpoonFULL

Educated
I desperately need Radaway to flush the radiation contamination in my face and body from the colours coming out of the screen in these images!

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I don't really no why, but I like the graphical style of this.

because its consistent/coherent, probably done by the same person

its kinda reminiscent of 90s cartoon network too

Looks to have a mobile game level of complexity tho

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom