Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Paradox Development Studios to Announce Two New Projects

kris

Arcane
No provinces might mean it is instead a boderless map with cities and sites.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Here is my official guess: Project Nero is a CRPG based on the Swedish tabletop RPG "Drakar och Demoner".

kris

Arcane
Here is my official guess: Project Nero is a CRPG based on the Swedish tabletop RPG "Drakar och Demoner".

Would be cool. It is ages since I played the PnP. It had some big flaws for sure and I mostly remember it for having "Donald duck" race.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
If it were HoI4, there's certain things they could do, certain things they shouldn't...

1) Land combat in HoI3 was excellent, dont' fuck it up. It actually enabled asymmetric warfare and had value for mobility.
2) Naval combat and air combat on the other hand could use work.
3) AI never nukes even a fly, the pansy.
4) Needs more alternative ways for the war to happen if player fools around.
5) Early Cold War years!
6) For fuck's sake, fix minors so they're not just there for show without modding.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
In related new East vs West basically got cancelled like Magni Mundi did for not being high enough quality. Even after a few delays of the game. Unlike Magni Mundi though they will be releasing the game as a free beta. The development team will also be taking donations in order to hopefully raise enough funds to keep a large enough team working on the game to maybe one day get the game in a decent enough condition for a commercial release of the game. Several features have been cut, only multiplayer named so far, so the scope of the game isn't going to be as grand as the team was originally planning.
Meh. I lost interest in East vs West long ago when it became apparent it would just be Victoria in the later 20th century instead of any real simulation of Cold War power dynamics.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
HoI4 is far more likely than Vicky3, because Vicky2 got released after HoI3 and it's far more niche product than HoI. Johan has stated, on a few times, that Vicky is their "nichiest" product.

I really, really, really hope they learned from EU4 and won't go Steamworks only but I'll probably be wrong.

Grinolf

Arcane
Meh. I lost interest in East vs West long ago when it became apparent it would just be Victoria in the later 20th century instead of any real simulation of Cold War power dynamics.

Which is the strangest thing to be dissapointed at, since Vic 2 is the most suitable amongst Pradox games for being the base for the Cold War game. Instead they choose HoI as the base for EvW, which is a very questionable decision for the game, where both player and AI should try to avoid any major conflicts.

mondblut

Arcane
3) AI never nukes even a fly, the pansy.

Wut? In my last game, the Axisified UK nuked the shit out of US and Canada. My glorious SS Panzerdivisions have barely crossed the Mexico-Texas border when the US pussies surrendered.

6) For fuck's sake, fix minors so they're not just there for show without modding.

And what minors of the world are for other than for show? Just rename all those non-countries to "Free stuff here", for all I care.

Me, I want moar decisions giving free cores. Moar anschlusses and Munich accords.

Also, moar countries/puppets to liberate/form. All kinds of fantasy shit, doesn't matter. I'd rather have the United States of Africa as a puppet and a source of slaves than over 9000 tiny shitholes with annoying borders.

Grinolf

Arcane
Peace in mah strategy games? Not gonna happen.

I, for one, am looking forward to forming the 4th Reich and slaughtering the vatniks once and for all.

Community of german revanchists, who seeked to restore German Empire in it's pre war borders, was one of the most disgusting things on the EvW forum. But at least they are from Germany, so that excuse them somehow. Not much though, since they missing the whole point of that time period and seek to turn the promising thing into another Paradox title about painting map in one color instead of desiring the game, where one get interesting gameplay about advancing your country interests while avoiding going into another total war. And at that part all Paradox games sucks. Partially except Victoria, where you have enough things to do even at the peace time and where you avoiding getting into major wars, only not because you loose there more than you gain, but because micromanaging armies there is so damn tedious.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I really, really, really hope they learned from EU4 and won't go Steamworks only but I'll probably be wrong.
Uh, learn what? That it still sells and you can ignore netcode and implement internet based services?
They originally justified by saying that only 2% percent of CK2 customers were non-Steam users. Then, later there was a 5% throw around. "Not economical to make two patches, one that will serve only 5% of our customers".

Considering that the only difference between Steam game an non-steam Game, AFAIK, is one call in the .exe and the steam_api.dll file, I find that line pretty hard to swallow. But this discussion wasn't allowed on EU4 forums. I'll see how quickly it gets stomped out in the HoI4 forums.

mondblut

Arcane
Community of german revanchists, who seeked to restore German Empire in it's pre war borders, was one of the most disgusting things on the EvW forum. But at least they are from Germany, so that excuse them somehow. Not much though, since they missing the whole point of that time period and seek to turn the promising thing into another Paradox title about painting map in one color instead of desiring the game, where one get interesting gameplay about advancing your country interests while avoiding going into another total war.

LOL, the game is still nowhere in sight, and the larpers are already bawwing about evil blobs painting the map their color. In b4 "Paradox, why playing Uganda is not as fun as playing USA, pls fix that".

And at that part all games suck.

Fixed.

Grinolf

Arcane
LOL, the game is still nowhere in sight, and the larpers are already bawwing about evil blobs painting the map their color. In b4 "Paradox, why playing Uganda is not as fun as playing USA, pls fix that".

There is nothing of "larping" in the wish, that game about Cold War would be about Cold War. With the emhasis on the word "cold".
And if you didn't noticed, I didn't called disgusting game itself: it still nowhere near finished state. But that part of fandom, that want it to be another map painter for the sake of their own ideological and nationalistical biases. There is another game series, that concetrated on warfare and total war, and it placed in much more suitable period for such things. It's called HoI.
And if your AGP torment you that much, you could just masturbate. I heard, that it helps very well.

Grinolf

Arcane
I want EvW(or a game like it at least) and I want to use it to produce armies and fight people.

I want a HOI type game that takes place over an expanded timeline(like the cold war). I want the full range of diplomatic and economic options so that I have more options for how I develop the nation I am playing in order to fight those wars as well as putting those wars in context. But I would be playing it for the wars. I would not be playing it for a peace simulator. These are the wishes of a large portion, if not the majority, of the players interested in EvW.

Most people play strategy games for the sexy parts, wars and fighting. That's not to say that they don't appreciate the diplomacy and the economic options, but they want them to tie into the wars and fighting they want to do.

Not that it matters anyway because it looks like the game probably isn't any good right now and only has a small chance of becoming good in the future.

Years of "peace", if one even could use these word for that time period, during Cold War was anything but boring. Not that make interesting game about it is the easy thing to do, but they choosed such difficult period themselves. Also there are always Africa and Asia regions, where "cold" war often turned very hot, but clausewitz games were always horrible at representing such local conflicts. Korean War, India-Pakistan or Arab-Israeli one shouldn't cause major problems, but I'm not very optimistic about the others.
And on top of that there are very vocal group that just want extended HoI. They have cool concept of "Doomsday Clock" that should in theory discourage players to pursue major conflict, but it still unclear, if it would be enough for representing Cold War.

mondblut

Arcane
There is nothing of "larping" in the wish, that game about Cold War would be about Cold War. With the emhasis on the word "cold".

CK2 larpers defend their gamephobia with the same reasoning.

I don't give a rat's ass about Cold War, I just like a grand strategy wargame with post-1945 techs. Something like Supreme Ruler, except playable :lol:

And if you didn't noticed, I didn't called disgusting game itself: it still nowhere near finished state.

As a matter of fact, I've just read it has been by all accounts cancelled. Or rather "soft-cancelled", as the wiser ones among the fanboys refer to it. Tl;dr version: "Rejoice, for EvW will be released as a free beta! ...maybe someday we will even sign it up back for a commercial release, but don't hold your hopes high". I am sure only good things can come out of that :roll:

But that part of fandom, that want it to be another map painter for the sake of their own ideological and nationalistical biases. There is another game series, that concetrated on warfare and total war, and it placed in much more suitable period for such things. It's called HoI.

Cry me a river while trying to maneuver Uganda in Cold War, it would always end up in WW3 and world conquest, because that's how the games roll.

And HoI doesn't let me kill vatniks with drones and Abrams tanks.

Grinolf

Arcane
And HoI doesn't let me kill vatniks with drones and Abrams tanks.

As I already said:
And if your AGP torment you that much, you could just masturbate. I heard, that it helps very well.
It's also free and you don't have to wait for it undefined amount of time.

And there is nothing to talk about after you admitted, that you didn't give a shit about Cold War. Why did I ever talk with you in the first place?

mondblut

Arcane
And there is nothing to talk about after you admitted, that you didn't give a shit about Cold War. Why did I ever talk with you in the first place?

Because you're obsessed with how others play their games, and spiral into butthurt whenever someone else has a different notion of how to have fun?

And my AGP doesn't torment me any longer, I switched to PCe-16 based desktop a couple of years ago.

Grinolf

Arcane
Because you're obsessed with how others play their games, and spiral into butthurt whenever someone else has a different notion of how to have fun?
You phrase words "dumbing down the game and removing from it any feel of Cold War for retarded reasons" in a very strange way, but thank you for your help.
And my AGP doesn't torment me any longer, I switched to PCe-16 based desktop a couple of years ago.
It's very important that you understand your issue and most likely ever reread the whole description before copying that joke.

Grinolf

Arcane
I never saw him asking for the game to be dumbed down or removed from any feeling of the cold war. He is stating that he wants a robust and good combat system, like in HOI, in addition to all the economic and diplomatic options. And plenty of wars occurred during the cold war so it is hardly out of the characteristics of the period to want to fight some wars. The diplomatic background and tensions of the cold war provides more challenges and context for how you are able to conduct your war, with limited wars and low intensity wars being options.

Em, it looks like your position. He wrote his position there:
I, for one, am looking forward to forming the 4th Reich and slaughtering the vatniks once and for all.
and there:
I don't give a rat's ass about Cold War, I just like a grand strategy wargame with post-1945 techs.
And it is quite different from your post.

Also I already noted, that most of Cold War conflicts were the ones, that clausewitz games weren't been able to properly represent before, and I don't see that situation changing any time soon.

mondblut

Arcane
You phrase words "dumbing down the game and removing from it any feel of Cold War for retarded reasons" in a very strange way, but thank you for your help.
It's very important that you understand your issue and most likely ever reread the whole description before copying that joke.

:butthurt:

Grinolf

Arcane
I have never been a fan of historical determinism in my paradox games. I like trying to do things that didn't occur in reality. That is my biggest complaint with HOI3. It is too railroaded to deal with WW2 and doesn't react well if a player goes off those rails.

One couldn't be fan of determinism and still see how absurd it would look in the Cold War setting. And we not talking there about such plausible scenarios like uniting Germany earlier, than it really happened: see Stalin note for example. But about resurrection of German Empire. Sorry, but I don't even understand why you ever decided to defend some random dude on the forum. If he can't do it himself than his posts are rubbish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom