Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Paradox Development Studios to Announce Two New Projects

XenomorphII

Prophet
You should still be able to try it though. The amount of success should depend on the situation the world finds itself in at that time. So you may just get your ass handed to you for your effort.

Grinolf

Arcane
You should still be able to try it though. The amount of success should depend on the situation the world finds itself in at that time. So you may just get your ass handed to you for your effort.

But I am not speaking about banning nattions in the middleof Euorope to play aggressively. But the game should have realistic reaction for that. And let's face it, ideally success of such scenario should really too much on the things, that outside of player influence, so it couldn't be called the viable strategy.

XenomorphII

Prophet

But I am not speaking about banning nattions in the middleof Euorope to play aggressively. But the game should have realistic reaction for that. And let's face it, ideally success of such scenario should really too much on the things, that outside of player influence, so it couldn't be called the viable strategy.

I would say that for a Cold War game, the ability to influence and manipulate other countries and their internal situation would be a critical thing and that it would make it a viable strategy (if still a longshot, extreme risk one).

Edit: And apologies for putting words in your mouth there. You were coming off as one of those "Warfare should be impossible folks"

Grinolf

Arcane
I would say that for a Cold War game, the ability to influence and manipulate other countries and their internal situation would be a critical thing and that it would make it a viable strategy (if still a longshot, extreme risk one).

It's not much about manipulation, but about other superpowers being crippled enough to not intervere in the rising of their potential rival, that would be able to challenge them both in the same time. Especially if it's Germany.
After all, both superpowers didn't like each other but still assured, that British Empire would come to the end even when it was already half dead.

Edit: And apologies for putting words in your mouth there. You were coming off as one of those "Warfare should be impossible folks"

No, I am for ability to declare war for any country to any country in the any moment of time. But when your target happened to be not some obscure country in the middle of Africa, but some european nation like Poland or Austria or sattelite of some superpower like Kuwait, you should face consequences of incoming rape. With nukes flying around and destroying the whole world in the worst case scenario. That would be my ideal Cold War game.

Last edited:

TripJack

Hedonist
In related new East vs West basically got cancelled like Magni Mundi did for not being high enough quality. Even after a few delays of the game. Unlike Magni Mundi though they will be releasing the game as a free beta. The development team will also be taking donations in order to hopefully raise enough funds to keep a large enough team working on the game to maybe one day get the game in a decent enough condition for a commercial release of the game. Several features have been cut, only multiplayer named so far, so the scope of the game isn't going to be as grand as the team was originally planning.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...lease-Date&s=8de5fde932910be3e27bd4f4030d1523
:rage:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Painting the map in a Cold War game should be about expanding your sphere of influence, not outright conquest.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
GODDAMMIT! I was waiting for East vs. West. This fucking sucks. I wonder what's the problem with EvsW.

XenomorphII

Prophet
GODDAMMIT! I was waiting for East vs. West. This fucking sucks. I wonder what's the problem with EvsW.

Well they are releasing an open beta for it (that is free/pay what you want), so you can find out yourself in a few months (unless they scrap that too).

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Today's hints.

Armstrong:
Balor said:
There is politics and espionage.
Hoi4 confirmed, unless Johan is trolling like none have ever seen before.

Nero:
Balor said:
What does the Skald say?
Another hint towards Nero being a Viking/Dark Ages or Norse Fantasy game.

Also very interesting regarding Nero:
Balor said:
No dynamic birders, no provincrs.
So it is definitely not another map-painter. That indicates it's either a tactical game, or takes place in a setting where borders don't make sense, like outer space or the high seas.

kris

Arcane
Balor said:
No dynamic birders, no provincrs.
So it is definitely not another map-painter. That indicates it's either a tactical game, or takes place in a setting where borders don't make sense, like outer space or the high seas.

Or like i mentioned. It is a map with places instead of provinces. cities, villages, churches, etc. for a vikinh game that makes sense. As you have places to raid and trade with and your village to improve.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
It's refreshing to have a WW2 game, there's clearly not enough of these on the market. Outlandish.
19th century colonial games are just overused. Same goes for anything prior that period.

:negative:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Paradox only produces 1 franchise that is a WW2 game and 3 franchises that are periods before that. It is also a WW2 game with gameplay that is quite different from other WW2 games. I'm sorry Paradox doesn't spend 100% of their time catering to your wants and desires but I'm sure you'll find a way to deal with it.

Vicky 3 is still coming. Just not with this round of games. It is very likely to be their next major game after HOI4, unless they try and reboot EU:Rome. They will need to experiment more and rethink what the core gameplay of Rome 2 would be though since it didn't work that well in the first one.
The only real bummer about HOI4 predating Vicky 3 is that it means Pdox is going to slack off with the whole thing about needing to get around to doing lots of Converter DLCs.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
BerKZl9IIAAKWhe.jpg:large

BerI4QtIIAEf3HN.jpg:large

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Runemaster:
Races: Troll, Giant, Light Elf, Dark Elf, Human and Dwarf are the last two.
Norse-themed RPG. 3 classes, 6 races. (Berserker, Skald, Runemaster)
Some people trying to prevent Ragnorok, others will try to bring it forward.
Huge, procedurally generated map -- and 6 different worlds.
Turn-based combat
Runemaster features procedurally generated worlds and features turn based combat.
"Emergent Storytelling" -- something like what you get in CK2?
Actions lead to consquences that lead to different quest arcs
Can be played with a controller on the PC (maybe will be one of the console releases?)
HOI4
"We're going to make it better than EU4"
What we learned from CK2/EU4: Make the playability & replayability better. It shouldn't be a chore to play.
"Slightly easier learning curve (but not that easy.)"
You can still control individual units, but now battle plans actually do stuff
Battle plans can include bombing targets, movement, etc..
"Deep Political System". Political leaders are fewer, but more important. Ideas you can unlock & implement.
Ideas can include neutrality stances, for example.
Strategic Warfare. Not everything is on a single-province level.
Air raids & submarine stuff can happen over larger areas instead of province-by-province micro.
Detailed Technology Trees -- apparently we will see more on this later.
Hearts of Iron 4 will NOT be coming out in 2014

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Plus: CK2 RAJAS OF INDIA -- map expanding to cover India! 50% larger. 300+ provinces.
War Elephants! Three new religions!
EUROPA UNIVERALIS IV: Wealth of Nations
Enhanced Diplomacy. Trade companies (like East India Company). Privateers and Caravans.

kris

Arcane
I don't know. They need to come up with some really interesting new ways in the game to interest me. I been there and done that feeling is strong.

Instead Runemaster was a new interesting direction.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
EUROPA UNIVERALIS IV: Wealth of Nations
Enhanced Diplomacy. Trade companies (like East India Company). Privateers and Caravans.

Does enhanced diplomacy means peace treaty bartering, late joining into a war and turncoat in the middle of a war?

Comte

Paradox WWII games suck get back to me when they make something like WITPAE or WITE, Let me paint the world in grey and not worry about logistics fuck that shit been there done that.

Grinolf

Arcane
Paradox WWII games suck get back to me when they make something like WITPAE or WITE, Let me paint the world in grey and not worry about logistics fuck that shit been there done that.
Definitely, who cares about logistics? It's not like there is a problem with ten of thousands spanish troops invading Aztecs in 15 century and it's not like combat in the any other Paradox games aside of HoI sucks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom