Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Paradox has acquired White Wolf and the World of Darkness IP, including Vampire: The Masquerade

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
:salute:

Agree.(but for different reasons I guess)

The problem is that with the way cRPG developers seem to think(what with wasteland 2, PoE and Numenera) and given the critical/popular acclaim of bloodlines we might very well end up witnessing a bunch of hacks tarnishing a legacy.
I think even the small possibiltiy of a well done bloodlines 2 is still a waste of IP, I think a VtM CRPG oughta be more sandboxy in nature. Not in the GTA sense mind you, but think something like grotsnik's CYOA.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Tim Cain... Maybe the only Troika game he didn't do any design for was Bloodlines.

We all know Mitsoda, Boyarsky and Anderson were in good part the reason the game was good.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
As long as Bethesda, or CDProject are NOT going to be completely destroying working on any of these titles is.................... somewhat good news. :M

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Whatever. And fuck you for using my old avatar.

How the hell AP is a good game? It has shitty combat, shitty level design, retarded gameplay, stupid Ass Effect-style dialogue system with fucked-up timed decisions. Dialogue was good and story was somewhat interesting, but that's all about it.

likaq

Arcane
I hope that any new WoD crpg will not be a sandbox ( hiking simulator ) but more like BL ( if fpp / tpp ) or fallout 1/ ( if iso / top-down )

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I hope that any new WoD crpg will not be a sandbox ( hiking simulator ) but more like BL ( if fpp / tpp ) or fallout 1/ ( if iso / top-down )
Sandbox doesn't mean hiking sim. A sandbox VtM game would be like all the kindred relationships and events in the domain working independent from player input, and you trying to make do working for people and rising up the ranks, dealing with the vampiric condition and getting involved with whatever main plotline is going on at the same time

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Any new WoD (or NWoD) game would focus for on the "action" element, like the previous 2 Masquerade games. Because that's what sells. So it would be FPP.

I personally would love something that more focuses on the politics though.

The real question is to which degree Paradox will cut the SJW sickness out of White Wolf.

But that's not a question, they won't they're swedes. They've been pandering to feminists for the past year even though feminists don't care about their games. With a franchise that's already pozzed to the gills they're going to go hog wild.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Any new WoD (or NWoD) game would focus for on the "action" element, like the previous 2 Masquerade games. Because that's what sells. So it would be FPP.

Does Paradox have money to make a FPP? I mean, DLC milking their map painting simulators doesn't make all that much money, right?

hivemind

Me too.
But the things is; where the fuck do you actually find someone capable of writing good and strongly interactive vampire politics for a singleplayer RPG ?

That's why the MMO sounded so cool. The politics would have been 'genuine'.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Me too.
But the things is; where the fuck do you actually find someone capable of writing good and strongly interactive vampire politics for a singleplayer RPG ?

That's why the MMO sounded so cool. The politics would have been 'genuine'.
Yeah...It would require people who can write to come up with believable characters AND people who can design to make all that meaningful gameplay-wise. Truly a pipe dream :negative:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
Me too.

Yeah, sadly I cannot think of a single Development house that *I* personally feel could pull that off. Troika did a decent job of it though.

A Vampire specific political game just isn't going to sell (compared to an action specific game), even though I would be FAPPING SO FURIOUSLY.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yeah, fuck a combat WoD game. WoD oozes with flavor; it needs atmosphere, mystery, and scheming.

hivemind

Yeah, sadly I cannot think of a single Development house that *I* personally feel could pull that off. Troika did a decent job of it though.
They didn't tho.
Bloodlines were carried hard by atmosphere/writing/characters and a genuinely good linear story.

There was very little of actual 'political' stuff in the game and nothing at all sandboxy or extraordinarily interactive.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
They didn't tho.
Bloodlines were carried hard by atmosphere/writing/characters and a genuinely good linear story.

There was very little of actual 'political' stuff in the game and nothing at all sandboxy or extraordinarily interactive.
To be honest, CRPGs have never handled anything but murderhobo from zero to hero kind of gameplay. Consider that not even Shadowrun has been properly realized in a computer format and it's a way more straightforward game.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
To be honest, CRPGs have never handled anything but murderhobo from zero to hero kind of gameplay. Consider that not even Shadowrun has been properly realized in a computer format and it's a way more straightforward game.

True.

Although, now'd be as good a time as any to try and explore some alternative avenues.

DeepOcean

Arcane
They didn't tho.

I totally expect anyone that gets the franchise to fail at writing, voice acting and facial animation, all three good points of Bloodlines so at least a political sandboxy game could have interesting gameplay.:M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom