Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Paradox has acquired White Wolf and the World of Darkness IP, including Vampire: The Masquerade

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I don't think the WoD setting lends itself very well to isometric or top down types of rpgs.

The atmosphere is a it part and I feel that modern 3d first or third person games would suit it better.

Also it would have to be real-time and not turn based.

In my head I'm imagining something where you play a character similar to the protagonist in prey, native American trying to deal with his tribe's dark secret of the werewolf curse, game would start out in rural America, Midwest, then slowly build up to a large urban hub, would make for very different hunting grounds and characters.

Fairfax

Arcane
Larian's usual tone, writing and art style are not a good fit, but they've hired many writers and I'm sure they can change the art for it. Despite the risk, it's a much better option than Obsidian, Paradox itself (ugh), InXile or whatever. At the very least it won't be made on Unity, and if they start the project next year, maybe MCA can join as well.
Two different ways to screw it up. I'm specially wary of nostalgia pandering spiritual sequels after the last few years.
Indeed.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yes, as we all know, supernatural creatures that bite and transform in a wolf are much less serious than supernatural creatures that bite and transform in a bat.
You just proved you have no clue what you are talking about. Maybe you should refrain from commenting.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I doubt that Paradox got any budget for a AAA game, unless the said RPG is made on EU engine the game is not gonna be made.

They prob gonna licence it to some self-funded studio from europe or russia that is gonna kickstart it for some extra bucks.
Thats my prediction.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I doubt that Paradox got any budget for a AAA game, unless the said RPG is made on EU engine the game is not gonna be made.

They prob gonna licence it to some self-funded studio from europe or russia Irvine,California that is gonna kickstart it for some extra bucks.
Thats my prediction.

Fixd

ArchAngel

Arcane
You're the one that seem to have no clue with the way you reduce it. It's as nuanced as VtM if not more.
Not even close. Werewolves travel in packs, packs are closer than family. They deal with dangers to their clans and packs and with supernatural threats. Most of their abilities deal with overcoming problems through force.

Vampires travel in groups that are usually forced to work together. They are solitary creatures and backstab each other all the time. They solve problems less by force and more by other means.

Is that nuanced enough for you?

hivemind

I never gave much attention to werewolf but the general feel I have about it is that while Vampire games are mostly about 'saving yourself'(either through accumulating political capital or achieving golconda ) the Werewolf ones are more about 'saving the world' and stuff.

I don't think that just because they are more violent in some of their methods they are necessarily less 'serious'

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Not even close. Werewolves travel in packs, packs are closer than family. They deal with dangers to their clans and packs and with supernatural threats. Most of their abilities deal with overcoming problems through force.

Vampires travel in groups that are usually forced to work together. They are solitary creatures and backstab each other all the time. They solve problems less by force and more by other means.

Is that nuanced enough for you?
Packs don't magically become like family, but it's something that develop due to the adversity and even then there's plenty of possibility intra-pack tension with disagreements on auspices naturally lending to different world views, people vying for position and tribe history bleeding into their relationships. Speaking of which the tribes are about as much forced together by circumstance as vampire clans within a sect.

Also of course Werewolves mostly solve problems with violence since they happen to be in open warfare, but it still requires different approach from time to time, and a degree of preparation, networking and what not. In that sense it's similar to Shadowrun.

Also this is all not even accounting the kind of PS:T stuff you can run into the umbra.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
imo, judging mostly from AoD, VD isn't really the person to fully embrace the 'gothic'/'existential' theme that VTM carries(or at least should carry imo) with it.

Might as well ask him. :M

Vault Dweller
Could you imagine yourself ever being interested in making a cRPG set in the Vampire the Masquerade setting ?
Sure, why not? Not that I have time or plans, but I've always liked that setting. In general, I want to make different games and explore different worlds, conflicts, and themes, not do the same thing over and over in different wrappers.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I never gave much attention to werewolf but the general feel I have about it is that while Vampire games are mostly about 'saving yourself'(either through accumulating political capital or achieving golconda ) the Werewolf ones are more about 'saving the world' and stuff.

I don't think that just because they are more violent in some of their methods they are necessarily less 'serious'
I don't know about nuWoD, but in Werewolf: The Apocalypse (just the sourcebook, dunno about fluff shit either) the world is not savable. It's a kind of Ragnarok-global-warming mashup allegory, set after it's too late to save the planet.

Aenra

Am i the only one not giving a shit?

Who needs IP restrictions and royalties? And why? So we can call 'x' race Fuckmarilla? If it's called Malok, Zugoy or Enhotep, is there really a difference? VtMB was what it was due to the team writing it. Not due to White Wolf.
I'd like 'a' new vampire RPG. And if given the choice, i'd rather it was one were the royalties/rights and creative freedom where the studio's. Less money on superficial bullshit, more on wages/development time.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
There will never be anything quite like VTMB, ever again.

Just read this sentence until you completely absorb it, instead of deluding yourself.

Nobody who has the money to give the setting production values it deserves, would be willing to risk a cent for a game where you can bite prostitutes and then vomit because their blood was unclean.

And if someone uses the setting to make some indie wankfest, well what the fuck is even a point.

VTMB was one in a million unique occurrence. Ultra-mature themes with AAA production values? Shit like that just doesn't happen.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Jesus CHrist, no. Don't need Sawyer fixing anything

Ironically I believe he's stuck leading Pillars until at least after the sequel. I personally would prefer if he got to make his small-scale historical RPG with a small team as that might actually be p. good

Doesn't seem like Obsidian or Larian has the writers for WoD.

Chris Avellone is currently working on DOS2, do you seriously believe he wouldn't also try and get in on a CCP game?

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why does the press release mention The Masquerade and The Apocalypse? The apocalypse happened (they even published multiple scenarios for it), the Old World of Darkness ended, those are discontinued settings.

Make something new ffs

Zeriel

Arcane
CD Projekt could probably make a good popamole World of Darkness game, but that's not what we want, right (right?)

Actually, I'd be quite happy with CD Projekt tackling it. As a White Wolf fan, I think they're the only studio who would have the visual chops to make the setting come alive, and they already showed with Witcher that they're pretty good at capturing the spirit of something. One of the major reasons I didn't like Witcher too much was how faithful they stayed to the source material, larping Geralt wasn't my idea of fun, but that could be a strength when it comes to White Wolf. Not that I expect any of this to ever happen.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I was always partial to the Hunters myself. That way you combine all settings into one with plenty of things to murder. Alternatively throw all of the werewolves, vampires, mages, hunters, etc, into a (possibly) isometric turn based CRPG and hope for the best. Larian hasn't shown the potential to nail that tone, but Harebrained Schemes (or CD Projekt?) has done something similar with Shadowrun. I'm torn between a game similar to Bloodlines which may or may not happen or an old school CRPG. Either way Paradox will probably farm this one out. This is great news.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Why does the press release mention The Masquerade and The Apocalypse? The apocalypse happened (they even published multiple scenarios for it), the Old World of Darkness ended, those are discontinued settings.

Make something new ffs
The anniversary editions put the setting events in stasis, whether anything actually happens being purely at GM's discretion (Which is the best approach). But in any case, it's not discontinued, 4th edition VtM is in development and will move it forward.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The anniversary editions put the setting events in stasis, whether anything actually happens being purely at GM's discretion (Which is the best approach). But in any case, it's not discontinued, 4th edition VtM is in development and will move it forward.

How absurd.

Five-minutes-from-the-apocalypse was all well and good in the 90s and 00s with a new century/millennium coming up, and that misrepresentation of the Mayan calendar, but that's all in the past now. Pointless nostalgia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom