Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Paradox has acquired White Wolf and the World of Darkness IP, including Vampire: The Masquerade

Drax

Arcane
:bounce::bounce::bounce:

I wanna dance like a retard for half an hour to regain my humanity again.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Sensuki Regarding Sawyer, I hope he gets the chance to do his dream RPG (while I also hope it's about something I don't care about already, ie. WoD).

I was unaware MCA was working on DOS2.

shadow9d9

Learned
I much prefer newly created IPs to buying a license and making more of the same. Waste of money imo.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
How absurd.

Five-minutes-from-the-apocalypse was all well and good in the 90s and 00s with a new century/millennium coming up, and that misrepresentation of the Mayan calendar, but that's all in the past now. Pointless nostalgia.
The 4th edition will be after the end events though, but not in an apocalyptic fashion.

Personally I prefer the modern setting permanently frozen in the mid-90s, it's just the spirit of it.

Ninjerk

Arcane
The 4th edition will be after the end events though, but not in an apocalyptic fashion.

Personally I prefer the modern setting permanently frozen in the mid-90s, it's just the spirit of it.
Core rulebooks masterrace

Ninjerk

Arcane
Incidentally, I believe my VtM and WWtA are 2nd edition books :D Need a mage book, though.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Am i the only one not giving a shit?

Who needs IP restrictions and royalties? And why? So we can call 'x' race Fuckmarilla? If it's called Malok, Zugoy or Enhotep, is there really a difference? VtMB was what it was due to the team writing it. Not due to White Wolf.
But that's wrong, I don't know why people keep praising it, the writing in VTMB is p. banal. Everything that's good about is just because of the setting and it's evident by the fact it has so many memorable characters even though they are just really shallow stereotypes of the groups they represent in the world. The top tier voice acting of course also adds to it.

himmy

Arcane
Since everyone is making wild predictions in this thread (as per tradition), I'll have a go:

Paradox have much more sense (financial and otherwise) than CCP and didn't buy the IP to either sit on it or make a single isometric story-heavy CRPG that the people here crave. Instead they will develop this setting massively across multiple genres and developers, from grand strategy games to RPGs, MMOs and maybe even action games. They will vary wildly both in scale and quality and at least two will please the Codex, while the others will make it announce the death of the franchise, only to get excited for the next one.

Saving this comment to quote in two years time, when the first WIP screenshots of the first game (probably a CRPG) will appear.

Last edited:

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
This is very interesting. But I doubt we shall see a game like bloodlines any time soon. I still have hope for Obsidian.

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
VTMB was one in a million unique occurrence. Ultra-mature themes with AAA production values? Shit like that just doesn't happen.
In Mortal Online you can kill a guy, make a bag out of his skin and then eat his head. It's not AAA production values, but it's almost there already. The more popamole games are made, the more their market will be saturated and the more studios will have to look into making mature games. And when production costs lessen, it will happen. Just wait another 10 years.

the Old World of Darkness ended
No.

I hope Sawyer gets the chance to do his dream RPG
Ironically enough, I think his dream RPG would have no combat mechanics and no dialogues. Out of different types of players, Sawyer is full retard explorer. He doesn't care about all other systems like fighting, dialogue, leveling up your character, etc, etc. Maybe he doesn't even realize it? Anyway, I think a perfect setting for his game would be some post-apocalyptic setting set in slightly alternative middle ages, where you walk around as a loner figure, explore the remains of a destroyed civilization, dig shit up, read some dusty old tomes, etc. Of course he'd also need a writer for this, cause he can't write for shit himself.

licence it to some self-funded studio from europe or russia
NO. NOO!!!!!!!!!! Russian studios must redeem themselves through blood and sand before they can be trusted again with anything else after the way they fucked up the Might and Magic franchise.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Since everyone is making wild predictions in this thread (as per tradition), I'll have a go:

Paradox have much more sense (financial and otherwise) than CCP and didn't buy the IP to either sit on it or make a single isometric story-heavy CRPG that the people here crave. Instead they will develop this setting massively across multiple genres and developers, from grand strategy games to RPGs, MMOs and maybe even action games. They will vary wildly both in scale and quality and at least two will please the Codex, while the others will make it announce the death of the franchise, only to get excited for the next one.

Saving this comment to quote in two years time, when we will have the first WIP screenshots of the first game (probably a CRPG) will appear.
I could dig that, but you can't just make the abused Pipboy inside you just go away because hope. :negative:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
NO. NOO!!!!!!!!!! Russian studios must redeem themselves through blood and sand before they can be trusted again with anything else after the way they fucked up the Might and Magic franchise.

The only Russian studio that worked on Might & Magic made HoMM5.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Ironically enough, I think his dream RPG would have no combat mechanics and no dialogues. Out of different types of players, Sawyer is full retard explorer. He doesn't care about all other systems like fighting, dialogue, leveling up your character, etc, etc. Maybe he doesn't even realize it? Anyway, I think a perfect setting for his game would be some post-apocalyptic setting set in slightly alternative middle ages, where you walk around as a loner figure, explore the remains of a destroyed civilization, dig shit up, read some dusty old tomes, etc. Of course he'd also need a writer for this, cause he can't write for shit himself.
iirc his favourite RPG is ars magicka, so that makes a bit of sense.

Ninjerk

Arcane
In Mortal Online you can kill a guy, make a bag out of his skin and then eat his head. It's not AAA production values, but it's almost there already. The more popamole games are made, the more their market will be saturated and the more studios will have to look into making mature games. And when production costs lessen, it will happen. Just wait another 10 years.

No.

Is MO still going?

Coincidentally I was just thinking about how far displaced from literature/drama that some of the Sawyer-inspired writing is (e.g. encyclopedic NPCs).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Encyclopedic NPCs are anti-Sawyer, that's all on Fenstermaker.

This strengthens my belief that it's a nostalgia grab for people attached to the name "The Masquerade."

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
This strengthens my belief that it's a nostalgia grab for people attached to the name "The Masquerade."
White Wolf is dead but their lifelong tradition of re-releasing the exact same books with worse art and minor fluff/rules changes lives on with Onyx Path.

And it's more like it's just giving the average WoD fan what he wants, more metaplot shit to discuss about on forums.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Paradox has a good relationship both with Obsidian and InXile so perhaps this could be the first game crowdfunded by their plataform so this makes too much sense not to work either way

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Best case scenario, Obsidian, Larian, inXile and whoever else is interested all get to license one of the settings and we get a flood of White Wolf RPGs, most of which won't be about vampires.

Monkey's Paw, they all get botched.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I can't believe some people actually had hopes/still have hopes for the WoD MMO. Only a handful of MMO's have ever delivered on any of the grand promises that they made during development. In the end, they all turn into horrible miscarriages of design or Everquest/WoW clones. Let that shit die and be forgotten for ever.

As for this Paradox thing, I don't really know what to expect. I kind of think Troika nailed it with trying to go full on with the atmosphere and the first person view, as far as immershun goes. I've only played the pen and paper RPG briefly, but the main draw for other players I know seemed to be the metaplot and being able to interact with it to some degree.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom