Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Paradox has acquired White Wolf and the World of Darkness IP, including Vampire: The Masquerade

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
are you people serious about wanting 'Bloodlines 2'?

I wouldn't strictly say "No!" to a proverbial 'Bloodlines 2', but I would rather they did something else. Try different types of gameplay, push the envelope there - what ever that might mean in this particular case and the context of classic RPG's and PnP emulation.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hooray another KS project to throw money at, and have my rose-colored glasses get a little shit splattered. Just a little bit mind you. Seriously just make another bloodlines with the source engine, give me some more deb of night, and have Brian voice every character. Don't lie to yourselves, you all want it too.

Caim

Arcane
I want a Telltale Games version of Vampire.
The Wolf Among Us was an excellent game interactive fairytale for storyfags and did very well on the whole atmosphere part of the game, which imo is what made V:TMB shine most.
They would have to add more game to it, though.
I'd rather play a game rather than watch a movie that requires button-pressing, thank you. They tried a series based on Vampire already, and we all know how that ended.

Or not, which is why it ended like it did.

Looks like Brian Mitsodas SJW sister wants to help write it.

Well, it was a nice few hours of believing in the incline..
D'you mean Annie? She's his wife, not sister.
1UXyzZL.png

Well, shit, after Dead State's plot I'd rather not have anything Mitsoda-related in my oWoD. Malkavian dialogue in VtM:B could buy only so much goodwill. If Paradox would want to make an nWoD game though - they can hire Mitsodas, I couldn't care less. Ideally I'd want to see MCA as team lead on a proper storyfag oWoD RPG, but he would need somebody as a co-pilot for combat and systems. Not Mitsodas though, it's not even that Alpha Protocol business, it's just MCA is too nice for his own good, and Annie seems like a really pushy person, so we would get Sascha Vykos: SJW Adventures. Instead of dream of Constantinople xir would fight against patriarchal ancients oppression and such VMRA groups as Camarilla. Yeah, nope.

So my second ideal variant would be oWoD RPG from the CDPR. Maybe not Vampire - WtA, or WtO, or HtR would work just as well. Or Kuei-jin. Just not fucking CtD, hate them. MtA is impossible to translate into a PC game format, IMO. Although a Technocracy RPG would have been cool.

Last edited:
yay I can hardly wait for Tzimisce being OK with horribly butchering hobos to turn them into ghoul abominations, but at the same time being concerned with embracing as many males as females to keep their coteries gender balanced
[autism]Sabbat has packs, not coteries[/autism]. Anyway. It's more likely the good Tzimisce would have that grand dream to turn those misogynistic mortals into non-binary vozhds (and also cathedrals), and embrace only worthiest SJWs with most colorful hair ever possible. And evil patriarchal Camarilla would oppose them.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
I still don't get the nWoD stuff. It needs to be buried ASAP.

And yes I can only see a new Bloodlines or whatever game in the WoD written be a realtalker like VD or something. Avellone seems too soft, Larian is comical, maybe someone at InXile?

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

Who gives a shit about White Wolf fucking up the WoD, ending it in the 90s/00s or whatever. It belongs to Paradox now, they can change the lore to whatever they like.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey I know the best way to milk this up; use the Vampire medieval setting and there you go, license the Skyrim engine and go for broke as vampire in a Medieval setting, hell you can even include werewolves and all that good shite! Money for everypne!
Obsdian itches to have another go at Beth sda's table and it would be a very easy sell for Beth, Obsidian AND Bloodlines fanbois

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
Instead of dream of Constantinople xir would fight against patriarchal ancients oppression and such VMRA groups as Camarilla.

Well, Bloodlines and VTM at large always had that edgy "down with da system, anarchs and caitiffs FTW" vibe. I guess that's where the whole "punk" crap comes from.

I could only wish PDX would give the license to Bobby Kotick on a condition of developing it as his personal non-profit power fantasy entertainment - one about actually bleeding the sheeple dry for the sheer thrill of it as a good vampire should, instead of another case of "come and see the violence inherent in the system" SJWism by any other name.

Well, Bloodlines and VTM at large always had that edgy "down with da system, anarchs and caitiffs FTW" vibe. I guess that's where the whole "punk" crap comes from.

I could only wish PDX would give the license to Bobby Kotick on a condition of developing it as his personal non-profit power fantasy entertainment - one about bleeding the sheeple dry for the sheer thrill of it.
Well, at least it was somewhat appropriate given that game's events took place in (part of) the Anarch Free State. Caitiffs also were heavily featured in metaplot as both harbingers of Final Nights and creatures with unique abilities directly tied to Gehenna plot. Nevertheless, yeah, anarch ending was the best in VtM:B, which amused me to no end. Poor deluded fools, "a new Enoch", my ass. I liked anarchs, but damn, Cain was definitely trolling.

Personally, I'd have gone with Sabbat in VtM:B, but Mitsoda&Co probably never played Sabbat campaign in their lives, so all we got was typical shovelheads. Well, also we got Andrei, but he was really underwritten. I wonder if Troika ever had any plans on developing a proper Sabbat path. If there was any info in postmortems about that I haven't seen it.

Bobby Kotick would probably make a good Giovanni.

Hey I know the best way to milk this up; use the Vampire medieval setting and there you go, license the Skyrim engine and go for broke as vampire in a Medieval setting, hell you can even include werewolves and all that good shite! Money for everypne!
Obsdian itches to have another go at Beth sda's table and it would be a very easy sell for Beth, Obsidian AND Bloodlines fanbois
Vampire: Dark Ages open world RPG won't work though, at least not without heavily modifying the setting. Traveling to another city for your average vampire was really perilous, it should be something of a cross between Thief games and Alone in the Dark in rural areas. Now, Werewolf, on the other hand...

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I think the problem with Sabbat campaign in VtMB would have been that since Sabbat is de facto in a state of war with the Anarchs, the Kuei-Jin, and the Camarilla over the Free State. They'd have had to make a completely parallel storyline if you join Sabbat (not the least because things like Vaulderie are kinda difficult to factor in otherwise). I think they did a fairly decent job with what limited use of the Sabbat they did, having a bunch of power-tripping shovelheads who don't have much of a brain or understanding why they're doing something besides a very banal criminal viewpoint of just "claiming turf and doing whatever I want", which was then juxtaposed by the Sabbat Elder Andrei who is in on the real case of things, and is in his own viewpoint on a religious mission to stop the apocalypse.

I think Sabbat would have required even more work than Giovanni since it takes considerably more effort to establish how Sabbat operates and what its inner workings are, or how they evolved from original Anarchs. After all, Giovanni just takes the same mafia shtick Camarilla runs with. Sabbat is a group of politically zealous Catholic anarchist occasional satanist crusader nomad cell organization with multiple competing ideological factions and a leadership that's just as eager to backstab each other as the one in Camarilla.

I don't think VtMB would have done WoD as much justice as it did if you'd have been some kind of Inconnu tourist taking a full tour with all the organizations in LA, rather than a Camarilla mook->handyman. Interacting with that pompous oaf Lacroix was always fun.

Caim

Arcane
I've gone through the Vampire 20th Anniversary book and... well, are there any vampires that are not raging self-important cunts aside from those Mongolian vampires and those Italian scholars who get uglier and uglier as they age?

I think the problem with Sabbat campaign in VtMB would have been that since Sabbat is de facto in a state of war with the Anarchs, the Kuei-Jin, and the Camarilla over the Free State. They'd have had to make a completely parallel storyline if you join Sabbat (not the least because things like Vaulderie are kinda difficult to factor in otherwise). I think they did a fairly decent job with what limited use of the Sabbat they did, having a bunch of power-tripping shovelheads who don't have much of a brain or understanding why they're doing something besides a very banal criminal viewpoint of just "claiming turf and doing whatever I want", which was then juxtaposed by the Sabbat Elder Andrei who is in on the real case of things, and is in his own viewpoint on a religious mission to stop the apocalypse.

I think Sabbat would have required even more work than Giovanni since it takes considerably more effort to establish how Sabbat operates and what its inner workings are, or how they evolved from original Anarchs. After all, Giovanni just takes the same mafia shtick Camarilla runs with. Sabbat is a group of politically zealous Catholic anarchist occasional satanist crusader nomad cell organization with multiple competing ideological factions and a leadership that's just as eager to backstab each other as the one in Camarilla.

I don't think VtMB would have done WoD as much justice as it did if you'd have been some kind of Inconnu tourist taking a full tour with all the organizations in LA, rather than a Camarilla mook->handyman. Interacting with that pompous oaf Lacroix was always fun.
Proper Kuei-jin path would have taken them even more work, and should have been even less parallel to main Camarilla storyline. But at least we still got peaceful interactions with at least Ming-Zhao, and quite a lulzy (if appropriate) ending. To implement truncated kuei-jin path and not implement a Sabbat one suggest that they were either more familiar, or more sympathetic to ghost people than to Sabbat. If they were more sympathetic on the basis that Sabbat are evil and Kindred of the East are less so - well, it would have been kinda funny. Sure, Ming-Zhao is a Thousand Whispers, but there are also Devil Tigers, which are as sadistic and inhuman as the Sabbat, probably more if we take their bodhisatvas into the account. At least not all Sabbat follow Path of Cathari.

Sabbat is used as a villain of the story in VtM:B - and not even the main one. I think that it would have been better to use them at least as more of an antagonist, kinda like they used Kuei-jin. Ideally I'd liked to have a full Sabbat campaign, but oh well.

And when and why did Giovanni entered the conversation? I just said that Bobby Kotick would have made a good one, that's all.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I really enjoyed the white wolf books and I also enjoyed VtM:B. Even with the emphasis on combat and all the horrible bugs, it was a very atmospheric game. Since my experience tells me that every game that promised something I cherished sucked, I must conclude that this game will suck.

Well, shit, after Dead State's plot I'd rather not have anything Mitsoda-related in my oWoD. Malkavian dialogue in VtM:B could buy only so much goodwill.

The Malkavian dialogues were cringe worthy. The interaction with TVs and lampposts were hilarious, though.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
[autism]Sabbat has packs, not coteries[/autism]. Anyway. It's more likely the good Tzimisce would have that grand dream to turn those misogynistic mortals into non-binary vozhds (and also cathedrals), and embrace only worthiest SJWs with most colorful hair ever possible. And evil patriarchal Camarilla would oppose them.

Gehenna: the SJW awakening

I dunno, I just like Giovanni, those zany pasta-eating incest afiacodos.
It would have been interesting to play a Giovanni-themed RPG, in which you start as a member of the family, then a ghoul, and then intrigue your way to Embrace. Though I imagine that such concept would work only as pretty twisted eroge, 'cause western devs wouldn't even touch many Giovanni themes with a ten-foot pole. And I'm not even talking about necrophilia, there's also dreadful misogyny, there's incest, there's religious themes, etc, etc. Manhunt and Hot Coffee controversies would seem tame in comparison. Granted, with jap devs we would get doe-eyed loli Giovannies, and that's not a sight I want to see. Ever.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Bloodlines 2 is going to be shit regardless of the developer(if it happens) because it will based on the flawed premise of cashing in nostalgia and trying to emulate past greatness instead of actually having a creative vision.

:bravo:

Old One

Arcane
I guess I would be a lot more susceptible to becoming excited about this news if Paradox hadn't screwed up Majesty 2. If they can miss the point of a simple game like Majesty, they can flub anything.

I guess I would be a lot more susceptible to becoming excited about this news if Paradox hadn't screwed up Majesty 2. If they can miss the point of a simple game like Majesty, they can flub anything.
Can you really put a blame on the publisher though? It was developed by Russian developer 1C:Ino-Co, they've also made Fantasy Wars, which was p.good. So it's not that they given it to just some shovelware developer.

Old One

Arcane
Can you really put a blame on the publisher though? It was developed by Russian developer 1C:Ino-Co, they've also made Fantasy Wars, which was p.good. So it's not that they given it to just some shovelware developer.
I think the fault ultimately resides with Paradox there, yes. They could have specified what they wanted. In fact, I assume they did specify what they wanted, and what they wanted didn't include the uniqueness that made Majesty fun.

Veelq

Augur
Paradox Guy "Red is really big right now, are you seeing red Brian?"
Brian Fargo "Im definitely seeing red":smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom