Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Paradox has acquired White Wolf and the World of Darkness IP, including Vampire: The Masquerade

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It's more likely the good Tzimisce would have that grand dream to turn those misogynistic mortals into non-binary vozhds (and also cathedrals), and embrace only worthiest SJWs with most colorful hair ever possible.
They'll embrace anyone, but then they'll show them the path to self-discovery through vicissitude - like giving themselves both genitalia, turning their hair into a pink mess, etc. Other clans will cower at the sight with horror and disgust.

grimace

Arcane
Hooray another KS project to throw money at, and have my rose-colored glasses get a little shit splattered. Just a little bit mind you. Seriously just make another bloodlines with the source engine, give me some more deb of night, and have Brian voice every character. Don't lie to yourselves, you all want it too.

First person exploration game with Deus Ex style skill system and a conversation system that affects game events please.

7qieadB.png

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
People wanting a Sabbat path are incurable grim-edgers, so i'm glad they weren't catered for.

Caconym

Augur
Vigil and Requiem are pretty good.
Requiem 2e, Forsaken 2e, Promethean and Demon: the Descent are even better, and a lot of folks seem to love Lost in Elven Faggotry too.
But no worries, there is precisely zero chance for an nWoD videogame, what with the far greater name recognition of old/classic WoD among tabletop and videogame audiences.

Diablo169

Arcane
If nothing else it will be interesting to see what they do with the license's. I've got no illusions about Bloodlines 2 masterpiece sequels, but I'd love to see a Werewolf title.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
IMO, Promethean is probably the best White Wolf ever put out in terms of how tightly packed together its concept and themes are, and how the game itself doesn't run counter to them. The only mistake they make is having a kind of dumb illusion mechanic so Prometheans look perfectly normal, when it would have been perfectly sufficient that PCs dress up to cover their deformities (meaning full-on winter hobo getup with Frankensteins), and that there are just a tad too many metaplot NPCs running around (IMO the only way to run Promethean is for the PCs to potentially be the ONLY Prometheans in existence, and original demiurge creations themselves; it needs to be both high-concept and low-concept at the same time).

One of the weakest parts of Masquerade was always that in terms of rules and metaplot it never managed to get anything out of the whole Humanity thing, and Paths of Enlightenment completely throw it in the dustbin (I once came up with my own mechanic concept for Humanity that would be more in line with Herzog's Nosferatu's depiction of vampiric condition).

I've yet to read Requiem 2e, but as a concept I really loved the haunted house effect the vampire's haven/hunting ground takes that I saw a preview of.

I also really liked Vigil: Slasher. Especially perfect if one ever just uses the ruleset to make a LXG type campaign (LXG: 80's is still one of my favourite campaign ideas).

Well, coffin inside a ship deck is exactly how the Salubri antediluvian travelled to America in the Gehenna novels, so it works.
Almost all clan novels had tons of inane shit in them, I haven't read Gehenna ones, but I can imagine that they do too. Basically, while moving target is harder to track, it won't even take a Silent Strider to catch up with the coach. Ships are more tricky, sure, but you can't board a ship everywhere, and also both coaches and ships are dangerous in Dark Ages because of the simple fact that while travelling you are being in Wyld's territory. For garou to track a moving coach or ship from Umbra, and make a surprise jump is tricky, but way more possible than infiltrate a vampire ancient's lair in the city.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well, coffin inside a ship deck is exactly how the Salubri antediluvian travelled to America in the Gehenna novels, so it works.
When people talk open world that usually mean one continental area where then can walk from spot a to spot b. Ship travel as only safe one would not work. And running around and murdering creatures on the way that are way stronger in lore would chase away fans.

In Bloodlines you cannot even kill that one Garou, now imagine going against them all the time when outside city and without easy access to Shotguns with silver bullets.

Only way Open World concept would work is if you played a team of Hunters. They can pretend to be humans when needed and hunt when not. Garou will not attack random humans

When people talk open world that usually mean one continental area where then can walk from spot a to spot b. Ship travel as only safe one would not work. And running around and murdering creatures on the way that are way stronger in lore would chase away fans.

In Bloodlines you cannot even kill that one Garou, now imagine going against them all the time when outside city and without easy access to Shotguns with silver bullets.

Only way Open World concept would work is if you played a team of Hunters. They can pretend to be humans when needed and hunt when not. Garou will not attack random humans
You can kill him. If you move very fast into that observatory (?), there's one place where he can't get to you, so you can kill him with ranged attacks. He can only soak so much, and eventually dies. Tons of HP though. I don't remember what I've used with my Malk char, but it's definitely doable.

Red Talons would gladly attack humans. Also BSD. But we were talking about Dark Ages open world game, and there were no Imbued in DA, IIRC.

Gruncheon

Augur
Really would prefer Obsidian didn't get on this. What really sold me on the world of VTMB was the characterisation which Obsidian are, and I've seen almost no evidence to the contrary, completely humourless at. Fenstermaker's alright but a bit of a one-trick pony. I'd be happy with B. Mitsoda being back. He was completely out of his depth trying to design an entire complex RPG from the ground up having never been a project lead before. When it comes to writing dialogue he's still got the flava.

Gruncheon

Augur
What's Fenstermaker's one-trick btw?

B. Mitsoda has the problem of being pussy whipped by his Xtreme SJW waifu

From what I can tell, he's got a good sense of comic timing and can do stupid and irreverent well. Problem is he can't really do anything except that. Sort of gives me a class clown vibe where his shtick is funny in small doses but you just want to tell him to fuck off after spending more than half an hour with him. If you contrast that with Erik Wolpaw and Chet Falizczekzkzk from Old Man Murray, they had a kind of irreverent style when they were doing games journalism, but there was a depth of thought behind it. They hit the tonal nail on the head with Portal which was a difficult balancing act. Ditto with Avellone. He has his cliches, but he can change and adapt tone very nicely when the time calls for it. Interestingly, Sawyer has the same problem as Fenstermaker. He can write variations on one character type. I actually happen to really like what he's written with Hanlon and Graham, it's a real achievement that characters that mundane can be so memorable. But that doesn't change the fact that he's a man for whom the laughter is dead.

Was Dead State, apart from all its problems of being a misthought piece of crap, big on shoving stuff down your throat?

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
From what I can tell, he's got a good sense of comic timing and can do stupid and irreverent well. Problem is he can't really do anything except that. Sort of gives me a class clown vibe where his shtick is funny in small doses but you just want to tell him to fuck off after spending more than half an hour with him. If you contrast that with Erik Wolpaw and Chet Falizczekzkzk from Old Man Murray, they had a kind of irreverent style when they were doing games journalism, but there was a depth of thought behind it. They hit the tonal nail on the head with Portal which was a difficult balancing act. Ditto with Avellone. He has his cliches, but he can change and adapt tone very nicely when the time calls for it. Interestingly, Sawyer has the same problem as Fenstermaker. He can write variations on one character type. I actually happen to really like what he's written with Hanlon and Graham, it's a real achievement that characters that mundane can be so memorable. But that doesn't change the fact that he's a man for whom the laughter is dead.

Thank you for the expanded answer.

Was Dead State, apart from all its problems of being a misthought piece of crap, big on shoving stuff down your throat?

Dunno, never played it. I can't stand zombie-focused media. I'm just going by his wife's meltdown on the critics after the game was released.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
That's what I read here. I don't have the willpower to actually go and seek this information first hand, little patience for women's silly fits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom