Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Parent deletes his kid's Minecraft world as punishment for sleeping late, asks if he's the asshole

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That really depends on how a person's biological clock is set up.
9yo or not.

I dont think that matters. If your clock says you need y-x amount of sleep you need that and everything out of that will not let you wake up. If I myself for example only get 4-5 hours of sleep theres a good risk I sleep through a clock or wake up but only long enough to go back to sleep. what does she expect him to do, tell himself a thousand times to please wake up at seven every night?
Some people can actually set up a pretty accurate alarm clock in their minds.
I could at some point, but I am not sure if I still have that ability.
Probably not.
It's been hell of a lot time since I last used it.
Right, but expecting that out of a kid is like asking too much.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
No sane person would get up at 7 if he doesn't have to.

Eh, I'm a morning person. I'm up at 6:30 every morning even if I'm hungover.

I wake up before alarms, so just seems to be how my body is programmed.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Soyboy beta can't even do it face to face with his kid, sneaks up and backstabs the kid for quadruple damage. This is not about teaching lessons or discipline, it's wounded ego punishment.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I will never be able to understand this kind of punishments. "You didn't respect my authority, so now I'm going to take away from you something you care about".

If you want to teach someone a concept (in this case, "you need to wake up on time"), the lesson itself should be coherent with that concept. The kid needs to understand why what he is doing is wrong (in this case, maybe he is missing something in the morning? I don't know) and why doing the opposite would benefit him.

The only thing he is learning with this kind of punishment is that he shouldn't upset people in positions of power, because they will use their powers to retaliate (and if this is what the father wanted to convey, that's quite the shitty father).

DraQ

Arcane
The only thing he is learning with this kind of punishment is that he shouldn't upset people in positions of power, because they will use their powers to retaliate (and if this is what the father wanted to convey, that's quite the shitty father).
Hey, that's quite a useful life lesson, sadly.
Along with the one about the parent in question being a shit person.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey, that's quite a useful life lesson, sadly.
Along with the one about the parent in question being a shit person.
We don't know what the kid was doing with that minecraft world.

Maybe he was hosting a furry roleplaying server and the father acted on his son's best interests.

Reinhardt

Arcane
They should do this at schools. Give them teachers
the power to cut internet access or to delete profiles,
save games and likewise. That would be hilarious.
They already have power to force your kid to eat hormones because why not. Modern day "teachers" should be beaten with sticks, not given more power.

Curratum

I've done similar, except I back up the files / saves in the cloud and restore them once the X days of punishment have expired because I'm not a fucking psycho.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Heh, reminds me when I first started coding on a computer as a kid, I had one of those computer magazines and it had instructions for some small program you could try to write yourself. I didn't really understand what I was doing but I managed to get the IDE installed and started writing the code.

I spent six hours straight on that shit trying to get it working because I didn't quite understand it, then went to get some food. I come back, dad is playing solitaire on the computer. He had just closed the IDE, and of course I didn't save. Gee, thanks, didn't wanna touch that shit again for a loong time.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Heh, reminds me when I first started coding on a computer as a kid, I had one of those computer magazines and it had instructions for some small program you could try to write yourself. I didn't really understand what I was doing but I managed to get the IDE installed and started writing the code.

I spent six hours straight on that shit trying to get it working because I didn't quite understand it, then went to get some food. I come back, dad is playing solitaire on the computer. He had just closed the IDE, and of course I didn't save. Gee, thanks, didn't wanna touch that shit again for a loong time.

To be fair, he did teach you a valuable lesson about saving your work.

Silly Germans

They should do this at schools. Give them teachers
the power to cut internet access or to delete profiles,
save games and likewise. That would be hilarious.
They already have power to force your kid to eat hormones because why not. Modern day "teachers" should be beaten with sticks, not given more power.

What is this about ? In my country teachers are toothless and can do nothing that matters.
Most of the time they get flak from parents, blaming teachers for not doing their job for them.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
The amount of sperging out over this here is a bit surprising to me. As a child, my school principle had a wooden paddle on the wall behind his desk, and many of my neighborhood pals were whipped on the regular by their parents. Even I was given the hard hand once or twice, though usually a stern look or 'HEY!' from pops was enough to chill me out. Part of the credibility of parental authority is children's fear of it.

Deleting the Minecraft save was a bit of a worm thing to do, and of course no one likes the 'because I say so' arbitrary nature of parenting, but it is was it is. Giving a child everything they ask for and never having them go through difficulties will produce weak adults. And at the end of the day, children are a bit like pets. They are impulsive and have shit memories. As soon as junior high and girls reaches this boy's nostrils, the Minecraft debacle will be a faint memory from long ago. And thanks to mom and dad's watchful eye, this kid will grow up stronger and later on thank his parents for their care and disciplined love.

Or it will eat away at his soul, and by high school he'll be polishing his AR-15 and looking to get even with the world. Either way, it's always in his ability to realize that everything in life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it. Lessons are there to be taught (and learned). Easy way, or hard way.

needless emotional cruelty in parenting
i've been constantly humiliated, actively neglected and beaten up by my parents up to adult age. it stopped when i broke our car's windshield with a punch so fast and precise i didn't cut my hand, to show them what i was capable of.
never underestimate the hate the parents have for their children.

Norfleet

Yes, but there's a difference: When you beat your kids, it's over and done with quickly and they go on with their business. If the parent had reacted to this by beating their kids with a broom until they woke up, that probably would have been no big deal, although still just as ultimately purposeless, since it's not like they're going to change biology that way.

Cromwell

Arcane
i've been constantly humiliated, actively neglected and beaten up by my parents up to adult age. it stopped when i broke our car's windshield with a punch so fast and precise i didn't cut my hand, to show them what i was capable of.
never underestimate the hate the parents have for their children.

and look what became of you, a regular on the codex!

well, what i am now has much more to share with the loss of a leg and all the work i did to join the air force, the loss of all my friends due to cancer, the loss of the will to go on once you accepted you weren't going to go on and some other misc stuff. up to 2003-2004 i was a still well functioning human.

Codex Year of the Donut
well, what i am now has much more to share with the loss of a leg and all the work i did to join the air force, the loss of all my friends due to cancer, the loss of the will to go on once you accepted you weren't going to go on and some other misc stuff. up to 2003-2004 i was a still well functioning human.
Look at this fag bragging about being a cyborg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The amount of sperging out over this here is a bit surprising to me. As a child, my school principle had a wooden paddle on the wall behind his desk, and many of my neighborhood pals were whipped on the regular by their parents. Even I was given the hard hand once or twice, though usually a stern look or 'HEY!' from pops was enough to chill me out. Part of the credibility of parental authority is children's fear of it.

There's a difference between a swift beating and destroying a year's worth of creative effort.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Look at this fag bragging about being a cyborg

He never asked for this.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

There's a difference between a swift beating and destroying a year's worth of creative effort.

It's a fucking video game, bro. You're getting too bent out of shape over a series of 1s and 0s.

I've known people whose parents made them buy a POS car just so they would be forced to rebuild it. I've known people who have been forced to change schools because of various reasons. And I've certainly known people whose parents made them ditch the love of their life over drugs/bad friends/etc. Deleting a castle in Minecraft is chump change. If the kid was 16 then the symbolism might have been more substantial and the burn worse. The kid's 9. He'll get over it and learn an important lesson.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom