Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Parent deletes his kid's Minecraft world as punishment for sleeping late, asks if he's the asshole

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
It's fascinating to see people in this thread assume (based on nothing as far as I can tell) whether the parent is the mother or the father. I assumed father right away and it didn't even occur to me that it might be the mother. Probably something Freudian to read into this.

It just screams "single mother". :lol:

Agree. The story suggests a single parent since there's no indication of other parent getting involved in that situation. No "I asked my wife what she thinks", no "my husband supports me in my decision", "I've asked my husband to talk to him". And most single parents are women.
But other than that it really does scream "single mother".

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Seeing how this topic has exploded here, I think it's time to lay down some basic lines.

1. As has been mentioned, people are assuming that a Reddit post is legit. Never assume anything from Reddit is real.
2. Let's pretend for a moment that the Reddit post is real, and that everything put forth is true according to OP. That leaves the kid's response as suspicious: At no point has the kid's claim of him working for a year on that Minecraft world been proven to be real. Kids are amazingly fast to learn to lie, especially to make an emotional point hit home.
3. Ascribing artistic endeavours to what a nine-year old has produced online is wishful thinking, at best.
4. At no point is the nine-year old given a shakedown: Is he smart, is he wise, is he dumb, is he a mouthbreather, is he genuinely autistic? No one knows.
5. To quote a film: "Why do we fall down, Master Bruce? So that we can get up again." Never underestimate the abilities of a 9-year old to recover from a traumatic incident. That Minecraft world could be back up and running by the end of July, for all we know.
6. That said, also never underestimate a 9-year old's ability to look back upon this event as the Unforgivable Act that made them Distrust Their Parents For All Eternity. Remember, you're dealing with a 9-year old. Maturity is just a variable here, yo.
7. Far too many people are replying to this based on their own personal experiences, projecting them upon this incident. I'd ask posters to compare the two situations (the Reddit post vs their own personal experiences) except chances are good they've already made up their minds. Wrongly, sadly. Please see 8.
8. Emotions are much easier to manipulate than facts and reason. This is why so many politicians are (wrongfully) playing upon people's emotions rather than the base facts of things.
9. To me, the question of whether or not a child should have trust issues regarding his family is not a question of "If", but "When". This incident changes nothing on that.
10. Perspective is a hell of a drug, yo. Learn to use it!

Never underestimate the abilities of a 9-year old to recover from a traumatic incident.
recover? might be. not hold the grudge? i still hold grudges from kintergarden. anna formicola who stole my jerry figurine and carla (damn, i miss the surname right now, i'll probably recall as soon as i hit reply) who pushed me, made me hit the head on the table leg and wounded me deep enough i still have the scar on the temple.
may them burn in hell forever.

Semiurge

Cipher
i've been constantly humiliated, actively neglected and beaten up by my parents up to adult age. it stopped when i broke our car's windshield with a punch so fast and precise i didn't cut my hand, to show them what i was capable of.
never underestimate the hate the parents have for their children.

well, what i am now has much more to share with the loss of a leg and all the work i did to join the air force, the loss of all my friends due to cancer, the loss of the will to go on once you accepted you weren't going to go on and some other misc stuff. up to 2003-2004 i was a still well functioning human.

Never underestimate the abilities of a 9-year old to recover from a traumatic incident.
recover? might be. not hold the grudge? i still hold grudges from kintergarden. anna formicola who stole my jerry figurine and carla (damn, i miss the surname right now, i'll probably recall as soon as i hit reply) who pushed me, made me hit the head on the table leg and wounded me deep enough i still have the scar on the temple.

:updatedmytxt:

Last edited:

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
That things like this can happen (if it did) while the world screeches about child abuse is astounding to me. What is the idea behind this principle of parenting that taking something your child is infinitely passionate about and spent what is, to them, a huge amount of time working on, and destroying it without as much consideration was swatting a mosquito for just one of your petty demands? Isn't there supposed to be proportionality in punishment, whether administered by the state or a dumbfuck parent? Or is causing mental agony only a wrong when you can sue the person causing it?

How will the child feel to have something that they spent so much of their time and heart and soul creating be rendered invalid because Karen / Chad was in a bad mood one morning? How belittled and powerless and unimportant will he feel. Out of all the shit on the internet, this strikes a nerve with me for some reason. These parents are just adult children, this isn't how you treat a human being, child or not.

the_shadow

Arcane
I'd be wondering why the kid is sleeping through the alarm. When I was 9 I'd wake up naturally at 6am, even on weekends to watch the cartoon channel. If I was woken up by an alarm, there was no way I could back to sleep. I'd understand if he was a teenager (who usually feel tired later in the day), but it seems strange a child that age would sleep through an alarm. Is he getting the recommended hours of sleep? Are his iron levels normal? Is he feeling flat from being in lockdown? I dunno, it seems pretty presumptuous to chalk it up to the kid being lazy/irresponsible without ticking off other boxes first. The parent doesn't seem to concerned about the child's wellbeing, but more about punishing them for defiance.

I also find it a bit ironic that sleep is seen as crucial in a baby/toddler (to the point that parents will punish toddlers for *not* napping during the day), but trying to nap or sleep in when you're a teenager/adult is seen as 'lazy'. I always tried to take a nap when I was studying. A good sleep helped defog my mind after a study session when new concepts and facts were swimming in my brain.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Horrific story :salute:

Brother, one day you will eventually find those 2 bitches and turn them into goose giblets

Actually your post made me think. As a kid I had quite a few really nice matchbox cars, indian figures etc and all "disappeared" within days or weeks. You post reminded me that I still need to locate the thieving kids from my street and chop off their hands.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
If I started screaming and going crazy my dad would have beaten the shit out of me. But then again, if my dad said you better be up at 7am. You made the fuck sure you are awake at 7am. My dad was very strict and didn't take shit. But he was also a great dad at the same time. I miss him

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
I guess having a certified non-abusive, correct dad who asks reddit for parental advice is a red flag in the first place. I imagine the kid waking up at 11 to find his gentle, correct father telling him he weaseled himself into his room and deleted his stuff because he couldn't wake him up earlier and he should've woken up by himself.

Nito

Educated
Patron
I guess having a certified non-abusive, correct dad who asks reddit for parental advice is a red flag in the first place. I imagine the kid waking up at 11 to find his gentle, correct father telling him he weaseled himself into his room and deleted his stuff because he couldn't wake him up earlier and he should've woken up by himself.

Yeah asking the magic internet 8-ball for absolution isn't exactly indicative of someone having an inner voice, let alone a moral compass.

Seeing how this topic has exploded here, I think it's time to lay down some basic lines.

1. As has been mentioned, people are assuming that a Reddit post is legit. Never assume anything from Reddit is real.

Sure, but "pics or it didn't happen" makes a lot of discussion pointless.

6. That said, also never underestimate a 9-year old's ability to look back upon this event as the Unforgivable Act that made them Distrust Their Parents For All Eternity. Remember, you're dealing with a 9-year old. Maturity is just a variable here, yo.

The kid will probably forgive them soon, but their relationship has been irreparably damaged. "Hey remember that time I intentionally broke your favorite toy when you were little because you slept a little too long? Heh, good times". In fact the resentment will probably increase as the kid grows older and realizes how petty that was (which usually means other petty actions were taken since nobody goes from model parent to that). It's not really about Minecraft.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

2. Let's pretend for a moment that the Reddit post is real, and that everything put forth is true according to OP. That leaves the kid's response as suspicious: At no point has the kid's claim of him working for a year on that Minecraft world been proven to be real. Kids are amazingly fast to learn to lie, especially to make an emotional point hit home.
3. Ascribing artistic endeavours to what a nine-year old has produced online is wishful thinking, at best.
4. At no point is the nine-year old given a shakedown: Is he smart, is he wise, is he dumb, is he a mouthbreather, is he genuinely autistic? No one knows.
5. To quote a film: "Why do we fall down, Master Bruce? So that we can get up again." Never underestimate the abilities of a 9-year old to recover from a traumatic incident. That Minecraft world could be back up and running by the end of July, for all we know.
7. Far too many people are replying to this based on their own personal experiences, projecting them upon this incident. I'd ask posters to compare the two situations (the Reddit post vs their own personal experiences) except chances are good they've already made up their minds. Wrongly, sadly. Please see 8.
8. Emotions are much easier to manipulate than facts and reason. This is why so many politicians are (wrongfully) playing upon people's emotions rather than the base facts of things.
9. To me, the question of whether or not a child should have trust issues regarding his family is not a question of "If", but "When". This incident changes nothing on that.
10. Perspective is a hell of a drug, yo. Learn to use it!

I think we found the parent

the_shadow

Arcane
Whenever I hear about a parent destroying something their kid loves/enjoys, or makes the kid themself destroy it (like a friend of mine had to do with their D&D stuff during the Satanic Panic), I'm reminded of this scene:

I remember one Christmas when I was young man (95? 96?). My best friend and I had a tradition of asking each of our parents for one computer game that we could play together either co-operatively or hotseat. By that time we had roped my best friend's younger brother into this as well because, duh, 3 games are better than 2, and while it was annoying to have to hang out with his little brother we could just be shitty teenagers and be really mean to him. Anyways, that year we pressured my friend's younger brother into asking for HoMM2 because we wanted some other games (I think Diablo and... something else) more, but also wanted HoMM2. So Christmas morning comes around and my friend's little brother gets HoMM2. Yay! We're all excited and I go over to their house to play computer games. Come 9 o'clock and my friend's dad tells my friend's brother that it's time for him to brush his teeth and go to bed, but my friend's brother refuses, saying he needs to play just a few more turns. So then my friend's Dad takes not only the HoMM2 CDrom, but every other single CDRom he can find from not only my friend's brother, but also my friend (as they were all stored in the same place) and microwaves them one by one. It took like 10 minutes, and was the most intense and sustained display of rage I think I have ever seen to this day. And then of course my best friend and I beat his brother up for the next year because he ruined some of our favorite games. The only things I know about my friend's brother today are that he sells drugs out of his parents' basement and that everytime I logon Steam he is always playing some shitty F2P MMO.

Also why the fuck is this parent looking a gift horse in the mouth? My son wakes up at 5:45AM every single day, if he slept even until 7 I would be absolutely fucking elated.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom