Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Passageway of the Ancients - Baldur's Gate-Like RPG with Dual-Persona Character Development

MerchantKing

Learned
So when does this come out?

ropetight

Savant
Installed demo and playing it on very unusual configuration (4k monitor with 150% scaling, linux on proton ), so maybe my first observations are not applicable to the most.
  1. Those Daz3D morphs are joy after all the character creation screens with only couple of choices to not break muh immersion with clipping. Lots of jank as a result, much fun.
  2. Dialogue font is having too little padding, margin, line height, whatever. Maybe this is due to OS scaling. General advice - don't overcram text, it becomes hardly readable. Font is too generic (Arial/Helvetica/sans serif lookalike), log font is much more suitable to and still readable. Same font is used sporadically (Loading... text, some buttons) and it is very distracting.
  3. Tutorial videos are too big, they are scaled weirdly - had to skip them all.
  4. Couple of alt tabbings kills the demo.
  5. Love the music.

JonG

Passageway Games
Developer
Installed demo and playing it on very unusual configuration (4k monitor with 150% scaling, linux on proton ), so maybe my first observations are not applicable to the most.
  1. Those Daz3D morphs are joy after all the character creation screens with only couple of choices to not break muh immersion with clipping. Lots of jank as a result, much fun.
  2. Dialogue font is having too little padding, margin, line height, whatever. Maybe this is due to OS scaling. General advice - don't overcram text, it becomes hardly readable. Font is too generic (Arial/Helvetica/sans serif lookalike), log font is much more suitable to and still readable. Same font is used sporadically (Loading... text, some buttons) and it is very distracting.
  5. Love the music.
1. Soon you will be able to download a native Linux version. We had a last minute file save issue that we just today fixed. So only the windows version should be showing at this time. By Sunday at the latest the native Linux version of the demo should be available.
2. Since we have a native Linux version of the demo and game we never tested these on Proton. That could be the alt tab issue but we will check this.
Otherwise we will take all of your other experiences to heart and act on them. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:

JonG

Passageway Games
Developer
  5. Love the music.
The Linux version of the demo is now available on steam

Mortmal

Arcane
I just gave the demo a try, did the tutorial with ease. Something tells me that some people spend a lot of their day playing Scrabble in their retirement home... First impressions: the 3D models are not bad at all for an indie game, somewhere in between that god-awful Prelude to Darkness and Solasta. However, after a very verbose introduction, as if I don't know...someone tried to force part of his books into the game, it crashed with a critical error message. So, I started anew and skipped the tutorial, then the video, did a bit of exploration, and at the first door or so, I encountered some kobold. He hacked my mage to pieces, as apparently, it's taking far far too long to cast anything. So, I reloaded the autosave... critical error too.
Then I started again with a paladin, which is already much easier. By the way, is shapeshifting supposed to fully heal? Then I climbed the stairs, critical error. Tried to load my saves and guess what : Critical error. I'm afraid the demo is pretty much unplayable so far.
However that game clearly shows some care, and I can foresee it could be better than something from Jeff Vogel. I think whoever developed this could stand proudly alongside the batshit crazy lunatics passionate and dedicated codex developers like Pierre Begue or Cleve.

JonG

Passageway Games
Developer
I just gave the demo a try, did the tutorial with ease. Something tells me that some people spend a lot of their day playing Scrabble in their retirement home... First impressions: the 3D models are not bad at all for an indie game, somewhere in between that god-awful Prelude to Darkness and Solasta. However, after a very verbose introduction, as if I don't know...someone tried to force part of his books into the game, it crashed with a critical error message. So, I started anew and skipped the tutorial, then the video, did a bit of exploration, and at the first door or so, I encountered some kobold. He hacked my mage to pieces, as apparently, it's taking far far too long to cast anything. So, I reloaded the autosave... critical error too.
Then I started again with a paladin, which is already much easier. By the way, is shapeshifting supposed to fully heal? Then I climbed the stairs, critical error. Tried to load my saves and guess what : Critical error. I'm afraid the demo is pretty much unplayable so far.
However that game clearly shows some care, and I can foresee it could be better than something from Jeff Vogel. I think whoever developed this could stand proudly alongside the batshit crazy lunatics passionate and dedicated codex developers like Pierre Begue or Cleve.
What version of the demo are you playing? Linux or Windows?

Mortmal

Arcane
What version of the demo are you playing? Linux or Windows?
windows 10 as OS

JonG

Passageway Games
Developer
When playing as a mage you must use cantriips and magic missle. They are much faster in delivery

JonG

Passageway Games
Developer
In hundreds of hours of testing we haven't seen crashes like yours in months. Especially on Windows. No shapeshiftig heals you partially.

JonG

Passageway Games
Developer
How much ram do you have in your machine?

Mortmal

Arcane
In hundreds of hours of testing we haven't seen crashes like yours in months. Especially on Windows. No shapeshiftig heals you partially.
What can I say, I am naturally gifted and outclass any of your testers. Then, in a mere 40 minutes...Of course, there's no background program interfering with it, and there's nothing suspicious in the Windows logs either.Could it be related to AMD, perhaps?

Mortmal

Arcane
How much ram do you have in your machine?
32 go ram

JonG

Passageway Games
Developer
Thanks for hanging in there! We have a log file in the directory C:\users\User name\AppData\LocalLow\Passageway games\Passageway of the Ancients\Player.log We need this file to debug this issue. Also in the save-games subdirectory it woould be nice to have a save file or two. If you could attach those here we will try our best to resolve this issue quickly. You are the type of user we love sincere and forthright. I think you can attach those files here. iI this doesn't work we will try another way. I guess if you are willing we will have to make you a part of our official testing crew!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom