Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Path of Exile II - crossplay cross platform progression couch co-op confirmed

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I think you people read that wrong. It probably means that every character now starts from center of tree and has access from lvl 1 to all tree paths like in screenshot i posted. It means that creating melee witch is now much easier than before not harder.

edit:

Like this:

image.png
Note that in this scrensho we can see that the marauder start passives glow so we can take them, but nothing towards any of the other sides glow, indicating we can't. Unless you specifically read somewhere that you can gain additional "cross points" to travel along the circle then you are just rampantly speculating.

fuzz

Liturgist
Back in alpha and early beta, you could spec STR tree as a Witch:

Don't think they are going back to this though. The reason for the big art in the middle is for seeing Ascendancy's passive points directly in one window along with the rest of the passive tree. There were retards that couldn't find the button that opens those and spec their Ascendancy points past the first lab. I also remember a case of a Marauder that thought that he can't spec into the big life wheel after becoming a Juggernaut.

Israfael

Arcane
100% I would love to see anyone practicing what they preach with an extremely sub-optimal build. Not gonna get very far.
I've killed Maven and uber elder with cold dot occultist (so no life regen, no crazy armor/evasion stacking, just ES regen and constant dodging of everything) in SSF, so I actually do what I preach (unlike people who see this uber slow boss kill demo and believe something like "skill" is required to get loot in a slot machine simulator). You'll get bored after 2-3rd kill of the boss and will hate the game after 10th. Unless you play diabloids for plot (lol) and story (ditto) and consuming (tm) content (R) (C)

ArchAngel

Arcane
Slower is fine as long as the game is balanced around a slower playstyle.

That's one of the advantages of a fresh start, they don't have all the legacy things to worry about.
Yes, and ruthless game mode was not.
So they better do it right for PoE2.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Slower is fine as long as the game is balanced around a slower playstyle.

That's one of the advantages of a fresh start, they don't have all the legacy things to worry about.
Yes, and ruthless game mode was not.
So they better do it right for PoE2.
"Fine" except the same animation that was fine for fast you can hardly keep track of and obscured by particle fx will be lacklustre with slow and clean gfx. That's easily 5x as much work or 5x less content in the end players don't even want to put up with.

Ba'al

Scholar
I've killed Maven and uber elder with cold dot occultist (so no life regen, no crazy armor/evasion stacking, just ES regen and constant dodging of everything) in SSF
PoB? I want to try something in that style next league.

Alex

Arcane
Losing movement skills sounds like a huge decline to me.

Also, while crafting in poe is really... repetitive, I like the idea of crafting my own gear, and I think the crafting table is actually one of the few systems that is not annoying in this way.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron

Also, while crafting in poe is really... repetitive, I like the idea of crafting my own gear, and I think the crafting table is actually one of the few systems that is not annoying in this way.

Holding them in reserve in case the initial reception is critically bad, they can then reintroduce them later in flask league and look like some grand saviors offering the playerbase a great boon.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'll try to be the devil's advocate here.

While moving fast with skills felt great, you gotta admit that it ended up in a kinda degenerate place, completely replacing normal movement. We were spamming that shit all the time.

I understand the goal start working on movement without all this bagage in order to establish a baseline. Movement skills were often a way to skip through content, to avoid engaging with enemies. That can't be a design goal, because it basically implies the content is trash. But if you make the content worth engaging with, why would you need to skip it?

It's also why they killed the Quicksilver flask, and why they're making sure the roll isn't faster than regular movement, so you don't have a reason to spam it. It's a whole issue, because while movement skills are cool, if you introduce them and make them faster than running, you'll either spam them, or they'll have cooldowns.

On the other hand, stuff like Teleport can't just be mimicked without a skill, and does things like going over obstacles that can't be done without. But that does have the issue of making normal movement seem subpar. Flame Dash on the other hand is basically obsolete now that there's the roll, except for niche burning terrain tactics. Maybe if they introduce a Teleport skill it'll have limited uses like Flame Dash, so it doesn't replace regular movement.

Not a simple problem.

Maybe we'll get roll replacements, not as a skill, but as an upgrade to regular movement. Say, you teleport instead of rolling, as a passive on the Int side of the tree.

Last edited:

FA7

Educated
I think it's because it's good place to start, so it's not initially at star wars level. Neon mentioned it when talking about bosses, and he said something like it's nice to be able to make a boss that's not starting with 2 billion hp's. To me it's obvious, that if they planning for 10 year span, then at some point it's gonna be introduced - UNLESS - people will really like for example new way, as it actually will be infinitely better and more fun to play in party.

Alex

Arcane
I'll try to be the devil's advocate here.

While moving fast with skills felt great, you gotta admit that it ended up in a kinda degenerate place, completely replacing normal movement. We were spamming that shit all the time.

We were spamming them all the time because base movement is so slow. I am not a quick player, mind you. I usually take my time in to do anything. I like to do the chaos orb recipe, so that means I am always going through the rares that drop to see if I got a piece that I need. I will also check all the nooks and corners on the map to make sure I am not missing anything unless I am trying to hurry for some reason. But if you try that on the base speed, without a bonus and without movement skills, it will take forever. Now, maybe they will balance it so that the base speed really doesn't need to be increase (I rather doubt it, but I am willing to allow for the possibility). But the movement skills are more than that.

(...)It's also why they killed the Quicksilver flask, and why they're making sure the roll isn't faster than regular movement, so you don't have a reason to spam it. It's a whole issue, because while movement skills are cool, if you introduce them and make them faster than running, you'll either spam them, or they'll have cooldowns.(...)

Movement skills are more than a simply moving fast, they are both a way to dodge, engage and cause damage; with the specifics of the skill determining how they work in these regards. Having only a simple roll button to dodge makes the game more simple in a bad way in my opinion. Especially since it seems to me the roll button is solely focused on dodging.

Also, someone might oppose the above argument by pointing out that careful positioning in poe is very rarely useful or possible. This is true to me at least, frequently I use movement skills to either escape an obvious attack or just to close in the enemy, and don't bother with them during other times. But I think a better idea rather than removing movement skills to deal with this would be to remove having a billion particles on screen every other boss battle. That stuff makes it impossible to tell what is going on (and frequently look rather garish). Movement skills could matter more if the screen was clearer and seeing what is going on was easier.

I understand the goal start working on movement without all this bagage in order to establish a baseline.

I think it would be better if they accounted for having movement skills into the baseline rather than having to hurriedly put them back in later.

Movement skills were often a way to skip through content, to avoid engaging with enemies. That can't be a design goal, because it basically implies the content is trash. But if you make the content worth engaging with, why would you need to skip it?(...)

Well, most of the content is always going to be trash...

But, besides that, the very approach they have to the game with the idea of seasons make eventually rushing through it desirable. The way poe is played is that you repeat the basic content again and again and again; each time with a different build (you might even try a different class, though I don't recommend it; templar is the only one worth playing). Even if all the content is good and fun to play through; it can't stay fresh forever. People will naturally want to skip over what they've dealt with several times in the past to what is new about a season or to what is new about their build.

(...)On the other hand, stuff like Teleport can't just be mimicked without a skill, and does things like going over obstacles that can't be done without. But that does have the issue of making normal movement seem subpar. Flame Dash on the other hand is basically obsolete now that there's the roll, except for niche burning terrain tactics. Maybe if they introduce a Teleport skill it'll have limited uses like Flame Dash, so it doesn't replace regular movement.

Not a simple problem.

I think flame dash teleports. I use it all the time to escape the traps in labyrinth and to cross abysses.

Maybe we'll get roll replacements, not as a skill, but as an upgrade to regular movement. Say, you teleport instead of rolling, as a passive on the Int side of the tree.

I hope not. One aspect I like about poe is not tying spells and attacks closely to the level system, but rather to gems. In this, poe is more similar to diablo 1 than 2.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Did they say anything about post-campaign or did I just miss it? Since it's a new game now they could do something different now.

Anyway really looking forward to see how supporting both games will work for them

ArchAngel

Arcane

I do not agree about loss of movement skills.. I guess it depends on what you want out of the game. If you are only interesting in good drops and want to kill as much as possible in a short time as possible I could see this. But if you want to enjoy moment to moment gameplay than it is not needed if they accomplish that.

As for crafting table, you only found it good because both drops and vendors were mostly useless. They are fixing both for PoE2

Alex

Arcane

I do not agree about loss of movement skills.. I guess it depends on what you want out of the game. If you are only interesting in good drops and want to kill as much as possible in a short time as possible I could see this. But if you want to enjoy moment to moment gameplay than it is not needed if they accomplish that.

As I argued above, movement skills are not just about moving fast.

As for crafting table, you only found it good because both drops and vendors were mostly useless. They are fixing both for PoE2

I like crafting. Being able to craft what I want rather than re-rolling 1000 times to get a good effect is good.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I like crafting. Being able to craft what I want rather than re-rolling 1000 times to get a good effect is good.
And you will still be able to. For example Chaos orb is now a much better crafting orb

Alex

Arcane

And you will still be able to. For example Chaos orb is now a much better crafting orb

Yes, until you lose the one modifier you wanted and need to start from scratch...

ArchAngel

Arcane

Yes, until you lose the one modifier you wanted and need to start from scratch...
You use it on secondary items, not what you are wearing. Unless Chaos orb becomes really rare it will let us make useful items unlike ever before. I usually play forced SSF (means trade league but I rarely buy anything and I sell almost nothing as I cba to set up a trading macro after last one stopped working with Win7) and as result I pick up and identify all rares with useful bases for my character and so often they are fairly close to what I want. I also accumulate a lot of chaos orbs that have zero use outside of trading, I will love this new change. Also crafting table is rarely that useful except to fix some resistances (and manipulating numbers and links below 6 links and you will not need that for POE2).

ADL

Prophet
Did they say anything about post-campaign or did I just miss it?
Nothing but what's on their new website.
At the conclusion of Path of Exile 2's six-act campaign, you'll gain access to its endgame. Each of the more than 100 endgame maps has its own boss fight and modifiers that enable revamped versions of many of Path of Exile's past leagues. We'll reveal more details of the surprises that await you in Path of Exile 2's endgame in the leadup to release. - https://pathofexile2.com/

ArchAngel

Arcane
I like to do the chaos orb recipe

:what:

I dunno why people find this so weird. If you set up a tab just for it, you can quickly accumulate enough for 3 recipes which yield 6 orbs. It is not a huge value, but it isn't nothing either.
I stopped doing it once I stopped trying to trade. It is so much more fun to play the game and not waste time on chaos recipe or trying to appraise stuff for selling for few chaos. I rarely get anything worth serious money anyways so it overall improved upon my fun in the game a lot. Now if they only made SSF more fun and less grindy it would be awesome.
PoE2 will help with that because getting 6L on items you want to use is hardest part. I wasted a lot of fusings and never got a 6L and even when I got a 5L I have to skip on new possible good items because I know I need to now waste a lot of jews/fusings for that one. Loot hunt will be much more fun in PoE2.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Now that I watched VOD of day 2 of Exilecon as well I changed my mind on some things. Like needing to redo whole level from the start once you die.. that system might be OK for boss battles but I hate it for whole map.
Yes, I now see why people said what they shown is too much like Dark Souls, I hope that is toned down for release. I do not think standard Diablo-likes fans will enjoy having whole game like this.
I still like most of the changes shown

tritosine2k

Erudite
Loot hunt will be much more fun in PoE2.

Looks like they give a lot of thought to aesthetics in order to coax newcomers into watching gameplay+buying & given the state of 1 that's understandable. Healthbars moved to top is dead giveaway. The loot text is also small will be moved away somehow. Or it's much less. Or it's "gold" .
Also I suspect (1) is not going away because they sold tons of MTX afterall. But now it's not "aesthetical" because none of that stuff is actual light emitter conflicts with global illumination and different MTX break when used together wings are offensively goofy, MTX conflict with skill like dread banner everyone uses compulsively etc.
Overall this can be incline if 1 team can experiment more and with better done models. But they did next to nothing to expand lore lately so idk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom