Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Path of Exile II - crossplay cross platform progression couch co-op confirmed

Perkel

Arcane
traps now have their own item base types. Whatever trap skill will be trap or mine depends on detonation type. So smoke mine could be smoke trap etc.

image.png

Melee looked like true melee in that Octavian’s boss experience was the equivalent of ass cancer and completely made it seem like ranged builds will still be the way to go

I love everything about melee in POE2. I hope this is how whole game will look like not just first 2 acts.

Perkel

Arcane
Stat sticking is back.
You can use scepter with sword etc.

You can use sword and use some sword skill and have scepter with say minion stats in off hand. Or use that scepter in main hand and combine with shield.

----------------

active skill gems no longer drop. You get uncut skill gems. Those drops with "tiers" and you can imprint skill of max tier represented by gem tier.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
confimed from dev talk:

- no scion, no center-path through tree

Might be cool.

I guess it shifts most of the differences to ascendancies rather than class, but that's how things were generally going anyway.

ArchAngel

Arcane
confimed from dev talk:

Awesome, I never liked design of doing melee witches and caster marauders/duelists.
I want more class identity, not less. It is why I didn't like any of the Ascendancy changes where they put important unique powers to the general passive tree.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
confimed from dev talk:

Awesome, I never liked design of doing melee witches and caster marauders/duelists.
I want more class identity, not less. It is why I didn't like any of the Ascendancy changes where they put important unique powers to the general passive tree.
Pathing through the center is mostly suboptimal compared to pathing around the circle though. Only time you want to go through middle is if you're going from say witch -> champion or ranger -> templar. It happens pretty rarely because it's expensive as fuck. I much prefer "soft" walls like these over just "lol can't do it".

Is it confirmed that you can add other classes starts?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Another thing is that this will lead to a lot more build variety.

Previously there were some builds that just weren't practical for certain classes due to the distance you had to travel on the tree to get required nodes.

I'll be interested to see the new ascendancies in the future.

Gotta say I’m concerned about weapon/skill restrictions. Could limit the breadth of options vastly

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another thing is that this will lead to a lot more build variety.

Previously there were some builds that just weren't practical for certain classes due to the distance you had to travel on the tree to get required nodes.

I'll be interested to see the new ascendancies in the future.

Gotta say I’m concerned about weapon/skill restrictions. Could limit the breadth of options vastly

Yeah, guess we'll have to wait and see. Things will probably be highly subject to change from beta feedback as well.

ArchAngel

Arcane
confimed from dev talk:

Pathing through the center is mostly suboptimal compared to pathing around the circle though. Only time you want to go through middle is if you're going from say witch -> champion or ranger -> templar. It happens pretty rarely because it's expensive as fuck. I much prefer "soft" walls like these over just "lol can't do it".

Is it confirmed that you can add other classes starts?
Balance was always bad because passive tree was too open. There are enough builds with all the combinations of related skills and ascendancies. At least for us that do not no-life this game.
I made 1-2 characters each league, that is enough.

abija

Prophet
...just reeks risk aversion like everything else.
They have had immense pushback for slowing down game and ruthless is pretty much a failure (popularity wise).

How exactly is what they try to do in PoE 2 risk adverse?

---

It's so funny Kjaska accused Perkel of not speculating. Dude gets half an idea and instantly gets transported in a universe where what he understood was true.

Perkel

Arcane
Dude how an animation driven dark souls carbon copy is not risk averse.
Because there is horder of zoomers who want fast game and no thinking and every expansion they tried to slow game down resulted in worse sales of MTX.

confimed from dev talk:

I think you people read that wrong. It probably means that every character now starts from center of tree and has access from lvl 1 to all tree paths like in screenshot i posted. It means that creating melee witch is now much easier than before not harder.

edit:

Like this:

image.png

tritosine2k

Erudite
Wilson is on the record saying even if multiple leagues would bomb for 1 in a row (or each) they'll still pull through financially because of so many man-hours in 2 ( =because it's so risk-averse).

Perkel

Arcane
Wilson is on the record saying even if multiple leagues would bomb in 1 they'll still pull through financially because of so many man-hours in 2 ( =because it's so risk-averse).

And he said it from your ass. You are talking about company that did 180 when their daily players lowered down by 30% when they release some bad league and all red alarms fired up in GGG.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
because "risk averse" would've been to just shit out a Fall of Oriath-type expansion with 5 more acts and a few new classes and call it PoE2. Do the OW2 approach.
Instead they're revamping pretty much all the systems. You can see it in a lot off the discussion on forums and such: People don't like the pace of the game, the fact that it has gold and the current change to currencies, removal of crafting bench, dodge button etc. That is not what you do when you want to minimize risks.

But I guess not including a scion-like class is making them risk averse?

abija

Prophet
Whenever they get serious blowback from a league the sandbags of QoL start flying. Even if he said that, their behavior indicates completely the opposite.

I hope PoE2 ends up closer to what was shown than to PoE and it lasts at least a couple of years before degenerating. But considering their current playerbase, what they have shown at this Exilecon is a huge risk. Could possibly be calculated because being almost a monopoly allows for breathing room and they can do a 180 relatively quickly. But definetly wasn't risk averse.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You’re all still assuming that the endgame will be drastically slower, and you base this on leveling footage with suboptimal melee builds

Fact is we don’t know shit about the speed of the endgame

Will it be slower? Probably. By how much? I would bet not as much as you seem to think

tritosine2k

Erudite
because "risk averse" would've been to just shit out a Fall of Oriath-type expansion with 5 more acts and a few new classes and call it PoE2. Do the OW2 approach.
Instead they're revamping pretty much all the systems. You can see it in a lot off the discussion on forums and such: People don't like the pace of the game, the fact that it has gold and the current change to currencies, removal of crafting bench, dodge button etc. That is not what you do when you want to minimize risks.

But I guess not including a scion-like class is making them risk averse?

Maybe this is self contained for sake of console audience (and Perkel's). Then ideally when 1 expands to mobile where the real money is they can afford to be risk taking because this new audience pays for it. While now 1 pays for 2 and last day I saw some chit-chat how there's only 8 ppl working on 1's league content for a while now because 2 is so ramped up. So maybe tables turn again.

Gerrard

Arcane
You’re all still assuming that the endgame will be drastically slower, and you base this on leveling footage with suboptimal melee builds

Will it be slower? Probably. By how much? I would bet not as much as you seem to think
ohEWtId.jpg

Perkel

Arcane

Confirmed so far:
- no movement skills
- no quicksilver flask
- Jonathan (lead dev) officially says that game will be slower
- there is no way boots will give you +30% run speed considering above. Maybe some unique but with heavy downsides.
- damage seems to be a lot impacted by combos.

So yeah it will be slower. Who knows how things will change next year and knowing GGG they could do 180 2 weeks after release when they will see wrong numbers.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Also it's most interesting how you can't trade with mobile and forced to use background processes/ alt+tab&shit would be handy for a while it just shows they are really after the dark souls buxx. On the upside if this bombs lots of their souls fan devs should be let go.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Slower is fine as long as the game is balanced around a slower playstyle.

That's one of the advantages of a fresh start, they don't have all the legacy things to worry about.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Confirmed so far:
- no movement skills
- no quicksilver flask
- Jonathan (lead dev) officially says that game will be slower
- there is no way boots will give you +30% run speed considering above. Maybe some unique but with heavy downsides.
- damage seems to be a lot impacted by combos.

So yeah it will be slower. Who knows how things will change next year and knowing GGG they could do 180 2 weeks after release when they will see wrong numbers.

“Will it be slower? Probably”

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom