Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Livonya

Augur
Patron
I believe the deaths of these 3 high level players was caused by grouping. When you group the monsters get more hit points, so when the boss exploded the corpse of the other dead boss the explosion was so massive that it did over 4,000 points in damage to each player.... killing 3 players at once.

This is one of those dangers of playing in a group.

Pretty interesting really. I wonder if GGG will nerf corpse explosion.

Most people will complain when this happens to them, and it will happen to others.

Should be interesting to see how GGG reacts to it.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Well I watched part of the stream where it happened and they simply didn't know it could happen, previous maps with corpse explosion didn't have exploding bosses. Keeping good distance would have saved them, it's not broken or something, they simply didn't think it through.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
Well I watched part of the stream where it happened and they simply didn't know it could happen, previous maps with corpse explosion didn't have exploding bosses. Keeping good distance would have saved them, it's not broken or something, they simply didn't think it through.

No, you missed the point, I believe. There were two bosses. One died. The other one had the ability to explode corpses. Normally this ability isn't that bad, but in this case the living boss exploded the corpse of a dead boss.

Because the dead boss had inflated hit points due to the large group the explosion was so large that it killed 3 players.

What they didn't know was that a boss could explode the corpse of another boss, and that due to the number of players in said party that explosion could do over 4,000 points in damage.

Perhaps I misunderstood what happened, but that is what I believe happened.

It was fluke caused by having a large party, two bosses, and a boss having the ability to explode corpses.

empi

Augur
Just watched the replay, they were doing a map with the bandit that corpse explodes (Alira or something is her normal name?) but they had the double boss mod on it. When they killed one of them, the other corpse exploded it and killed them (also the map had -player resists, but doubt that made a difference, that's a one-shot for anyone). I don't think it's broken, they just didn't know it was even possible, people have done the same map on CB with double bosses a lot of time without this happening

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
-player resists probably made a huge difference, since I think corpse explosion is fire elemental, and going from 75% resist to 15% resist is pretty fucking bad.

empi

Augur
Was -20% resist, and nah I really don't think so, normal detonate dead does 18% of mob hp, and that boss had a few hundred k life, that's instakilling anyone. You can see on the replay that the detonate was doing a thousand hp on trashier mobs that they killed very quickly, whereas it took them a few minutes or so to kill the boss

Livonya

Augur
Patron
Resist had nothing to do with it.

The problem was the group size. If any of those players had done that map solo then the explosion would not have been large enough to instant kill them.

The only reason that they were all killed instantly was because of the boss monsters inflated hit points due to their party size.

Everything about monsters scales with party size. But your resists and hit points don't scale.

So this was a situation where the damage caused by the corpse explosion scaled beyond what any of them could handle individually.

They died because of their group size.

Corpse explosion is one of those rare monster abilities that becomes more and more deadly the larger your group size. I can't think of any other monster ability that scales like that.

Pretty interesting.

Castanova

Prophet
Apparently Righteous Fire is similarly dangerous ability for large parties in maps. Supposedly it does constant AoE damage based on the max HP of the monster using it or something like that. People reported their HP dropping extremely fast and they had no idea what killed them.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
Yeah, that would make sense. Righteous Fire would scale up like crazy with large parties.

Kind of cool that there are drawbacks to having large parties. I hope they don't nerf it, but I am almost positive that they will nerf how that works for both abilities.

They already have to deal with a shit storm of complaining that the game isn't party/group friendly, and this will just add to the heat.

Though really the thing that happened with Corpse Explosion can only really occur under very specific conditions and everyone should know those conditions soon.

DakaSha

Arcane
Found the 'Limbsplit' unique with my second 'main' character (trying to make a necromantic aegis/necro/aura/templar)

DakaSha

Arcane
also i just saw you can create a unique item to the game by paying $1000. Need some kind of codex item. Somebody start fundraiser :rpgcodex:

made

Arcane
Funded them with 20 bucks for the expanded storage. Probably could have done without it, but their F2P scheme is as honest and unintrusive as one could hope for so I figured they deserve the money.

DakaSha

Arcane
I'll prob dish out some cash some day as well. So far this game and its devs really deserve it

Gerrard

Arcane
A character with this name already exists.
I'm sitting here on the character select screen for 15 minutes. Everything is taken. What the everloving fuck.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
A character with this name already exists.
I'm sitting here on the character select screen for 15 minutes. Everything is taken. What the everloving fuck.

Someone hasn't played an MMO before.

Anyway, got sick and tired of merciless pounding me into submission and decided to roll a hardcore character. If anyone of you bros wants to trade/donate power siphon/frenzy gems, It'll make my life that much more easier.

empi

Augur
Rolled a new char the other day, decided to go dual totem+CI. Never did it in closed beta because it was just too OP. Using fireball (+LMP+faster casting atm) on the totem to be a bit different and for the synergy with fire traps and bear traps with added fire damage. Just took the dual totem node, am still pretty far from being able to take CI but the build is doing ok atm as a HP/ES hybrid, and is fun/different to play.

And if anyone on hardcore has a grace they can sell me, please do, Geoffreeze ingame :p

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So I just started this.

It's the best Diablo clone since Diablo 2.

If you ask me, it's the best Diablo clone in its mechanics, ever. Diablo I beats its story and atmosphere pretty soundly, but Diablo II only beats it in the story-department.

Gerrard

Arcane
Funnily enough both "EveryNameIsTaken" and "EverythingIsTaken" were both taken.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom