Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

empi

Augur
There were people who were taking names they thought would be popular during closed beta, so they could try to sell them when open beta hit, lol

Revenant

By the way, do classes differ only by the starting location in the skill tree or do they have fundamental gameplay differences, like hit points or mana gained per level?

Arkeus

Arcane
By the way, do classes differ only by the starting location in the skill tree or do they have fundamental gameplay differences, like hit points or mana gained per level?
They differ by starting locations, starting stats, as well as quest rewards skills. The first and the third are the most important parts.

Revenant

They differ by starting locations, starting stats, as well as quest rewards skills. The first and the third are the most important parts.
Yes, but are there any other differences than these quite initial ones? If there aren't, then it must be quite possible to build a pure mage marauder by moving towards witch skills in the skill tree and using magic skill gems. Cool stuff, huh. In this case, this goes ever further than Diablo 1, where classes at least had different attack/cast speeds.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yes, but are there any other differences than these quite initial ones? If there aren't, then it must be quite possible to build a pure mage marauder by moving towards witch skills in the skill tree and using magic skill gems. Cool stuff, huh. In this case, this goes ever further than Diablo 1, where classes at least had different attack/cast speeds.

Not sure if this is true or known ,but gems and sockets on items that drop from mobs are somewhat class oriented.I noticed that when playing shadow and got many more green/blue coloured stuff, then when started witch more blue and morouder-red.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Here are all gems that I have with my Shadow(5 more green,5 blue and 1 red on hero) ,so I think that colour of gems that drops are affected by class at least before end game.
gemsq.jpg

empi

Augur
nah fairly sure it's just luck. Personally in OB i've played 2 templars and a shadow so far, so by your logic i should have mostly blue gems, actually I most of mine are red, then green and lastly blue.

The colour of the sockets in your gear is affected by whether it's ES/dex/arm gear though ofc

Padre

Liturgist
Just gave them 20$ because it's the best fun I've had in months regarding video games.

Also, fuck Piety and her fucking orbs.

empi

Augur
Nah i'm fairly sure that's a game mechanic, pure ES gear has a highest chance for blue sockets etc.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
I've had mostly green drops. Both, with marauder and witch.

The colour of the sockets in your gear is affected by whether it's ES/dex/arm gear though ofc
Wut? Seems to pretty random to me, too.

Yes that is true and confirmed by GGG on the game page:
"The color of sockets on items is strongly biased towards the attributes that the item is aligned with. For example, a Strength/Dexterity sword is very likely to contain red or green sockets and unlikely to have blue sockets. Skill gems can only be placed in a correctly colored socket."

Stabwound

Arcane
I almost got butt reamed by Piety again. She froze me and pounded the fuck out of me: I must have been down to 20hp or so when I made it to one of my party member's portals. But now I can finally say I made to to HC Cruel.

I'm still having difficulty finding any decent items and I've still only found 1 unique.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

No, they don't differ in other ways, and yes, you can build a pure mage Marauder.

Castanova

Prophet
In fact, due to how important survivability is in this game, some people predicted that the Marauder would be the best mage starting point thanks to all the HP nodes, STR, and Iron Will.

I beat Merciless with my Summoner Witch. I did have to join a public party to beat Piety, though. Level 61. Now I get to the best part -- just running around killing stuff for loot and XP. I've found three level 66 maps so far.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I just finished Act 2 on Cruel. Got through it without difficulty... EXCEPT FUCKING CHAOS DAMAGE SNAKES OMG NERF PLZ OMG

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
They already nerfed Viper Strike with OB, go get more hp nodes.

Also, more snakes incoming in Act 3 Slums, combined with narrow passageways blocked by endlessly spawning exploding bugs. :)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah I know, I've got way too much damage and too little survivability, fucked up a bit with my early build, but I'm rectifying that now.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
I just finished Act 2 on Cruel. Got through it without difficulty... EXCEPT FUCKING CHAOS DAMAGE SNAKES OMG NERF PLZ OMG

Maybe get one of this flasks:
flasku.png

They already nerfed Viper Strike with OB, go get more hp nodes.

Also, more snakes incoming in Act 3 Slums, combined with narrow passageways blocked by endlessly spawning exploding bugs. :)

Act 2 snakes do not use Viper strike,spiders do.

empi

Augur
The snakes do chaos damage, as do those evil bomb throwing fuckers in the sewers, and amethyst flasks are pretty much trash

Vicar

Cipher
Patron
What I hated most is the Void Bear's breath attack at Act 3 cruel. Anyway Cruel Piety was surprising easy compared to the general Gravicius guy.
Oh and how much does a Portal gem worth?

Castanova

Prophet
I'm playing around with an Ice Shot Ranger. I was going to use Lesser Multiple Projectiles but then I noticed I had a Fork gem. And Fork seems like it's almost strictly superior. They both throw off two extra projectiles, they both give you a 30% damage penalty... but LMP has 150% mana cost while Fork is 125%. Am I missing something here?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom