Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm certainly glad I came to my senses and decided not to buy that expensive package at the last minute.

If they don't fix their shit soon, they're probably done for.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Once I killed cruel piety on hc, I lost interest. Maps can only be fun for so long. There are few interesting builds I'd like to try, but spending 70 points on health/stat nodes to get to the good stuff sucks out all the fun.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
So, have codexers already put PoE to the dust of history, judging by such inactivity of this thread?

I have been thinking recently that unique items are quite overpowered in this game, compared to Diablo II. For instance, in the last few days I found two quite impressive unique items:

XpQFDWT.png

and

pUFlz7P.png

Both items were found during solo play in act 1, the sword was dropped by Brutus and the amulet, I think, came from a common monster. So, I have rolled a duelist and shaped his build to take full advantage of the sword. As I understand, the sword is a prize in the races, so it's supposed to be powerful, but damn it makes the game easy. Basically, all I have to do is spam Leap Slam onto clusters of enemies and they get fucking annihilated mostly on the first hit. I can't remember unique items being so OP in D2 - sure, some of them provided significant advantage for a build but not a single one was as game breaking as PoE uniques tend to be.

Of course, I have no idea if the sword will keep its power later in the game (in all this time I haven't even beaten normal difficulty, lol), so I am curious how things will turn out, unless my duelist will die in the most stupid way as usual and I'll lose both these PRECIOUS items like some pretty cool other uniques I used to have.

You may want to upgrade to lightning strike/cleave later on. And to a 43+ level unique 2H sword, don't remember its name.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
So, have codexers already put PoE to the dust of history, judging by such inactivity of this thread?

Personally, I played PoE for something close to 200 hours shortly after open beta, so I'm taking a bit of a break at the moment and playing other stuff - I'm sure I'll be back in the future. :)

T. Reich

Arcane

I have been thinking recently that unique items are quite overpowered in this game, compared to Diablo II. For instance, in the last few days I found two quite impressive unique items:

pic.

and

pic.

Both items were found during solo play in act 1, the sword was dropped by Brutus and the amulet, I think, came from a common monster. So, I have rolled a duelist and shaped his build to take full advantage of the sword. As I understand, the sword is a prize in the races, so it's supposed to be powerful, but damn it makes the game easy. Basically, all I have to do is spam Leap Slam onto clusters of enemies and they get fucking annihilated mostly on the first hit. I can't remember unique items being so OP in D2 - sure, some of them provided significant advantage for a build but not a single one was as game breaking as PoE uniques tend to be.

Of course, I have no idea if the sword will keep its power later in the game (in all this time I haven't even beaten normal difficulty, lol), so I am curious how things will turn out, unless my duelist will die in the most stupid way as usual and I'll lose both these PRECIOUS items like some pretty cool other uniques I used to have.

Those two are nice leveling items, but you'll grow out of them pretty quickly. The sword would lose most of it's stopping power by the end of act 3 norm. Though there ARE some very strong uniques with low level requirements that are useful throughout most of the game, but none of them are non-spellcaster weapons.
Also, D2(LOD) had some eeevil strong uniques, though runewords (which I always considered equivalent to uniques anyway) got progressively better.

Gregz

Arcane
I stopped playing this, the endgame is just really dull.

Granted it's been a couple months, maybe they have fixed things, but when I left it was all about grinding currency, trying to scam noobs out of uber items, and hoping not to die while grinding xp and losing a day's work (very harsh death penalty at high lvls).

Still playing, although after levelling up a few characters, it get's kinda boring with the must have health nodes. Sort of diminishes the variety of the passive tree that most all builds need to scope up tons of health nodes, or energy shield nodes in a few places.

Like most, I hear, I just play with my highest level character to find new stuff, and start a new one to use that stuff, but taking a character to lvl 70 something, takes a lot of time and diminishing returns and grind. I guess I am gonna let this one rest soon... good value for the money though.

Aothan

Magister
yep and I too will likely be resuming with the introduction of the Onslaught and Anarchy leagues coming this weekend. I've played the game for over a year and thus feel as though I've exhausted most of the content according to my propensities for the genre, but if the substantial rebalance and redesign sufficiently changes the gameplay or long-term involvement of grinding than I'll probably remake my usual characters. I might also return to making an archer which was originally my first main character now that they could be a little more balanced. Also, I think acrobatics could become a little too powerful for some 'classes' (Shadow).

abija

Prophet
There's always softcore for that, nothing to fix desync as melee though, still annoying as fuck.

Aothan

Magister
I'm playing fairly casually at this time in the new Onslaught but had an unusual streak of luck and found four Orbs of Alchemy and an Orb of Regret before level sixteen. And as it turns out someone was offering a Crest of Perandus for trade that already had three links so I made an offer for said shield and the Brightbeak hammer without being too sure of current values. Thankfully they deemed it sufficient and thus my character is well equipped for their level. I know others might even think the values were excessive but I'm of the opinion the shield is among one of the better uniques for starting characters and can be used reliably (at least) well into mid-level range. However, I've noticed they have changed the effects of quality on shields since it appears that even 10% quality no longer affects the block chance.. either way, it is a great shield in my estimation and as a rule if I can offer more I tend to since in my view it is a very valuable unique to acquire for early levels and especially when starting in a new hardcore league.

speaking of changes, I know Merveil was changed at some point with the second form having increased casting on both summons and detonate but for some reason I was able to just stand face to face with Merveil (where in previous games I would have had better equipment on some characters) and with health probably not even going below 50%. I'm not sure if that is the result of a balance change or not, which if so I have mixed feelings about. Yes as an early boss Merveil is more challenging than many typically expect but it was a challenge the player could adjust to if they have a basic level of itemisation so I don't think the original design, if a change has in fact been made, was entirely out of place.

DakaSha

Arcane
i dont think ill be able to enjoy this properly until there is some kind of perma-pvp league. Game is great but this diablo style ARPG shit just doesnt do it for me without some kind of human challange

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Havent been playing for like 4 months. Anything changed?

There was a huge re-balancing patch recently - most notably, CI seems to be the way to go again since life-based builds got nerfed pretty badly. There are also new leagues with different rulesets. There's no new content (in the way of new areas or quests), though, if that's what you meant.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
So, for a ranger character focusing on high DPS with bows, which armor type should I be going after? Energy shield, dodge?

Stabwound

Arcane
I anticipated this game ever since it was announced, and when it finally came out, I played it for about a month before I got sick of it. It's really not a game as much as it is a treadmill simulator. You just do the same shit over and over and over to see numbers slowly increase. There's no goal, there's no purpose; you're just killing things to kill things to kill things. It's a slot machine for neckbeards.

The games that evolved from Diablo and Nox shouldn't even be considered to be in the same subgenre. Those games had clear goals, and Diablo 2 turned the genre into a farming/treadmill/slotmachine pile of shit.

Fuck this game.

:rage:

abija

Prophet
The design of this game was extremely clear from the get go. Fuck morons like you.

Gregz

Arcane
I anticipated this game ever since it was announced, and when it finally came out, I played it for about a month before I got sick of it. It's really not a game as much as it is a treadmill simulator. You just do the same shit over and over and over to see numbers slowly increase. There's no goal, there's no purpose; you're just killing things to kill things to kill things. It's a slot machine for neckbeards.

The games that evolved from Diablo and Nox shouldn't even be considered to be in the same subgenre. Those games had clear goals, and Diablo 2 turned the genre into a farming/treadmill/slotmachine pile of shit.

Fuck this game.

Sadly this.

The first grind to 70 or so was pretty damn fun though.

bloodlover

Arcane

Fuck this game.

And you expected something else from the game? Imo it was obvious for everyone how this game would turn out. Besides, at some point, even Diablo 2 turned into a grindfest and gear run where everything people ever did were Baal runs.

Stabwound

Arcane
I was hoping the game would have better progression once you get through the main content. Maps aren't very fun, although admittedly much better than D2 or D3, are still very repetitive. It's fun in a mindless way but I feel like they could have designed the endgame better.

DakaSha

Arcane
The company is called GRINDING GEAR GAMES and people think the game is gonna be a deep rpg :smug:

AMG

Arbiter
The game isn't fun because levelling new chars takes ages unless you have a dedicated group. Who cares how large the skilltree is when completing your build requires grinding for weeks. Not to mention you need to buy your skillgems and equipment to use them because drops are shit, and difficulty rises faster than your shitty self-found gear scales. It is no different from Diablo 3 in this regard, all your gear will be probably bought unless you reach latelate game and craft your stuff. For a game that promoted build diversity as a major selling point the levelling process is extremely inadequate. There is also desync and all kinds of other problems as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom