Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

subotaiy

Cipher
Nice reference and pretty good weapon too :):
VzJ7wVG.png

Aothan

Magister
most of my potions follow a similar arrangement, although I place a special emphasis on my third healing or hybrid healing and mana potion having 'dispel frozen and chilled'. The instant or 50% instant recovery has ensured my character remained in the league more than a few times already. As a habit I usually have remove bleeding on the quicksilver flask but until enough orbs are available it is presently an increase evasion modifier, which is quite useful for dodging past groups when so necessary.

my Templar is stuck on Merveil who appears to be much more formidable with the recent content update, if I could four link one more of my items then this encounter could be resolved with Shield Charge but I've just changed my armour and helm and used most available orbs on setting the right number of sockets and have only four-linked one piece so far. Otherwise if I could reach the rather impressive Essence Influx notable top right of the Witch tree then even it would be possible to keep most focus on Merveil instead of the ever growing radiant army that comes in midway.

looking ahead for my next choice of weapons it seems as though Hyaon's Fury is a good choice and a often modestly priced item at that (2 - 5 Chaos orbs when listed with a trade value). Surely the excess elemental damage could present some difficulties but I guess that can be mediated with Purity of Lightning and whatever else might assist to prevent too much reflection.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Terminus Est is actually one of the shittier uniques :D

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
I like the atmosphere of this game and item icons, but skill tree is redonkulous. It's impossible to plan anything there unless you grab a calculator. I predict everything I chosen to suck in next ~20 levels. It is really unnecessary and just for show how super oldskool and different game is.
I'ma playing it on normal because I hate other people and rankins and I chosen Duelist because magic becomes tiresome in these games quickly, you just throw bunch of shiny globes or fireballs using one OP combo and all dies. I like hitting things in this game with sword. It feels nice. Doing some random STR+DEX build with reds and greens.

The difficulty for newbie is very very low. I remember even first boss in D2 (Blood Raven) pressing some of characters like sorcs and necros. Here bosses just fucking explode in few hits. Sirene was OK but nearly not as hard as first meeting with Andariel. And Act 2 is just mindless click fest. I really hope I won't have to grind to next difficulty level to have challenge. I hope Act 3 will be as tough as they say.

Developers really tried to capture a feeling for something between Diablo 1 and Diablo 2. But all the gamist shit like barter system based on random items (lol) and skills in weapons ruin part of the charm for me. I wish skills, items and spells were separated mechanics.
Seriously slot system just pisses me off. What you can do depends on random items with random combination of colored slots and they can lock to get bonuses WAT THE FUCK WHY
and can't skills level up themselves why do you make me click on them gaem? I am not a lab rat
And they copied a bit too much. Stones aka horadrim books? Warder aka Butcher? At least in Titan Quest I didn't know what to expect.

Levels are linear as hell too. I mean, it's like every rogue, but they basically show you linear paths in your journal. And levels change in ~10 mins after you leave them WHICH MAKES FINDING QUEST GIVER YOUVE MET 10 MINS BEFORE A REAL PAIN IN THE ASS

So really, not what I was hoping for (harder Diablo 1). PoE seems it's own thing but I guess I'll try and finish at least first difficulty.
I think I am just too old for all this shit and another nine thousand Mephisto-runs equivalents

Last edited:

made

Arcane
I like the atmosphere of this game and item icons,
Yes, icons r nice.
but skill tree is redonkulous. It's impossible to plan anything there unless you grab a calculator. I predict everything I chosen to suck in next ~20 levels. It is really unnecessary and just for show how super oldskool and different game is.
Use an offline skill planner or just figure stuff out as you go and respec later. The skill tree is the best fucking thing about this game.
The difficulty for newbie is very very low. I remember even first boss in D2 (Blood Raven) pressing some of characters like sorcs and necros. Here bosses just fucking explode in few hits. Sirene was OK but nearly not as hard as first meeting with Andariel. And Act 2 is just mindless click fest. I really hope I won't have to grind to next difficulty level to have challenge. I hope Act 3 will be as tough as they say.
Game's been tweaked and rebalanced multiple times to make it more welcoming to new players. It doesn't get challenging until act 3 merc and even that is a lot more forgiving nowadays.
Developers really tried to capture a feeling for something between Diablo 1 and Diablo 2. But all the gamist shit like barter system based on random items (lol) and skills in weapons ruin part of the charm for me. I wish skills, items and spells were separated mechanics. Seriously slot system just pisses me off. What you can do depends on random items with random combination of colored slots and they can lock to get bonuses WAT THE FUCK WHY
You'll find orbs to adjust colors and sockets. The skill and socket system is the second-best thing about this game.
and can't skills level up themselves why do you make me click on them gaem? I am not a lab rat
Certain skills you want to keep at low or mid lvl. This isn't a mindless automated process where more is always better.
And they copied a bit too much. Stones aka horadrim books? Warder aka Butcher? At least in Titan Quest I didn't know what to expect.

Levels are linear as hell too. I mean, it's like every rogue, but they basically show you linear paths in your journal. And levels change in ~10 mins after you leave them WHICH MAKES FINDING QUEST GIVER YOUVE MET 10 MINS BEFORE A REAL PAIN IN THE ASS

So really, not what I was hoping for (harder Diablo 1). PoE seems it's own thing but I guess I'll try and finish at least first difficulty.
I think I am just too old for all this shit and another nine thousand Mephisto-runs equivalents
I dunno about all that shit you talk about. DIablo sucks, this game doesn't.

Zdzisiu

Arcane

Bullshit. The only questgivers are in town and towns do not change at all. Also, the new masters give "quests" in the area they are in so you wont leave the area and it wont reset. Unless you teleport to town for 10 minutes, doing God knows what instead of finishing the "quest" master gave you and that takes 1-3 min to finish.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Certain skills you want to keep at low or mid lvl. This isn't a mindless automated process where more is always better.
What's the reason not to level up stuff like +leech or +elemental dmg for a slot skill
edit: oh right there seems to be mana multiplier. if it grows then maybe there is one

Bullshit. The only questgivers are in town and towns do not change at all.
What. Act 2 has at least 3, the bandits who give you quests. I had to search for one after I decided to kill her for skill point.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
What's the reason not to level up stuff like +leech or +elemental dmg for a slot skill

Bullshit. The only questgivers are in town and towns do not change at all.
What. Act 2 has at least 3, the bandits who give you quests. I had to search for one after I decided to kill her for skill point.
And they have waypoints pretty close to their camps. But I will give you that, I completly forgot about them because after playing the game so much I have no problem with finding them.

The reason not to level certain gems is when you cant afford the increased mana cost to use them. In case of support gems this problem does not exist as they do not increase in cost with levels but the active gems do, and you may find yourself in a situation when you are running out of mana after leveling your game this time. Also, later in the game there is a gem called Cast when Damage taken which works by activating other gems linked to it, as long as the level requirement of those gems is not higher than the level requirement of Cast when Damage Taken but on the other hand when you level Cast when damage taken gem, the damage you must take in order for this game to trigger also increases so it will trigger less often.

Also, its kina great feeling to click to level up your level 18 or 19 gem and see how much that changes your damage.

made

Arcane
What he said.

Anyway, what sucks is that masters gain virtually no xp when you do quests on low lvl alts. I have lvl 5-6 masters and just now I got like 5xp on my lvl 20 witch. What were they thinking?

Shadenuat

Arcane
I think they could have just leveled up with a message and then dismiss it. And it doesn't feel right when game pops the "press button for reward" and that can actually screw you up later. At least in that tentacle monster of passives you plan everything yourself.

Master-huntress is a bitch btw. "Go find monsters on level you already cleared".

made

Arcane
There's also the stat consideration. Playing a duelist you might want to use Int support gems (say Conc Effect on Cyclone), but you lack the Int to level it all the way to 20 so then you'll have to waste skill points on Int nodes or try to squeeze some Int into your gear setup or settle for a lower lvl gem.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I just wish I didn't have to change my skill load every time I want to try new pair of boots. They could have fixed those slots to special items like skill books maybe if they wanted to tie economy and skill use together so closely. That's what I'm spending my
teleport to town for 10 minutes, doing God knows what
now, figuring out how to add Frenzy to my skill set if I only have these 2 reds connected to greens and
:avatard: all that

subotaiy

Cipher
Orbs are pretty easy to come by, so the socketting really is not a problem, at least for 4 links or lower. Pick/buy items with 3 colors linked, they sell for a cromatic orb each. If you dont have jewellers/fusing for number of sockets/links, just pick another item of that type, it doesn't matter too much in normal anyway.

Early, a white with 3 linked can be better than a rare: you use 4 blacksmith/weaponsmith orbs for 20% quality (because it requires 10 for blues and 20 for yellows) and you turn it in a blue with transmutation, eventually you can use a few alteration orbs to get some better affixes.

Also, just pick a build from the forum, don't try yours since you'll most likely screw it up as a beginner.

Last edited:

made

Arcane
You are obviously very noob at this game. That's cool, we all started there. I suggest just keep playing and figure out stuff as you go; there's quite a lot of depth to it for a simple ARPG.

A final tip: RGB linked sockets = vendor for chromatic orb = change socket colors on items. Enjoy the lottery.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Strange but I thought it would be a different game. I vaguely remember reading something about more open world and danger of going out and high difficulty years ago. Maybe it's just my imagination.
But here I am whirlwinding through death curtains with +hp and mp leech on like it's 2000 again and I fail to see any difference or how is this game an "incline". I guess I can now add ability to shoot lightning out of my ass when I die and I have basically infinite potions as long as game supplements me with trash mobs, but that's it. Character customization is a bit different but same was already achieved by skill and item modification systems.

Bosses are nice though. I like how er, spacious they are, the patterns remind me a bit of Dark Souls.

P.S. The DESUnc is stronk in this one

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Also, just pick a build from the forum, don't try yours since you'll most likely screw it up as a beginner.

I took my first toon to 80 on my very first build. Was the most fun i've ever head in a Diablo clone since... Diablo 2.

I forced myself to quit because i don't like to get hooked on those games indefinitely. They are too time consuming. But i wanted to get back to it now and reading those comments is rustling my jimmies. You'd think after all this time Codexers would know this game inside out.

I remember when the biggest complain was the desync. Game being teh hard is a new one for me.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I can't name another rogue that made me so unexcited with loot. 95% things you find are trash and I can't even be bothered to sell them. Whatever is not trash and has right type of armor or item will probably have slots all wrong. There are no sets and only unique I found had damage of a fork. I only collect orbs&check for slots.

I whirlwinded through first act Cruel and I am too bored to continue. The difficulty is non-existent and there's no sweet loot, and I am not a fan of sacrificing crafting components to gods of Random. Occasional spikes in difficulty are few and far in between.
I don't see the depth of this game other people seem to enjoy.

It may be a better rogue out there, beautiful and addicting, especially since it's free to play, but I had more fun with, say Torchlight on high difficulty right from the start.

You'd think after all this time Codexers would know this game inside out.
Why? Is there some prize you get if you level up to 80 instead of 50? Is there some sort of revelation or divine experience you are going to get by spending 400 hours clicking on mobs and rolling for better items?
I doubt that. I go into games expecting them have some meaning or provide interesting challenge at least in first 20 hours. If they fail to do so I could have spend those 20 hours by staring at blank wall instead and nothing would have changed.

Last edited:

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I can't name another rogue that made me so unexcited with loot. 95% things you find are trash and I can't even be bothered to sell them. Whatever is not trash and has right type of armor or item will probably have slots all wrong. There are no sets and only unique I found had damage of a fork. I only collect orbs&check for slots.

I whirlwinded through first act Cruel and I am too bored to continue. The difficulty is non-existent and there's no sweet loot, and I am not a fan of sacrificing crafting components to gods of Random. Occasional spikes in difficulty are few and far in between.
I don't see the depth of this game other people seem to enjoy.

It may be a better rogue out there, beautiful and addicting, especially since it's free to play, but I had more fun with, say Torchlight on high difficulty right from the start.

You'd think after all this time Codexers would know this game inside out.
Why? Is there some prize you get if you level up to 80 instead of 50? Is there some sort of revelation or divine experience you are going to get by spending 400 hours clicking on mobs and rolling for better items?
I doubt that. I go into games expecting them have some meaning or provide interesting challenge at least in first 20 hours. If they fail to do so I could have spend those 20 hours by staring at the blank wall instead and nothing would have changed.
The difficulty levels follow the modern shifted paradigm. Normal is easy, Cruel is normal, and Merciless is hard.

In comparison to Torchlight 2, PoE has very interesting loot. In torchlight loot was so boring I was never exited to pick up anything, even legendary items were just boring +stats or +some effect on hit.

If the piece of armor you find has good stats but not enough slots, or slots of the wrong color, then simply drop like 2-4 orbs on it and you will get something you can use. Not like jewellers orbs and chromatic orb are rare or anything.

As for a difference when you get to level 80 instead of 50. The difference is that by level 80 you have probably seen all the end game content (maps) that can get as easy or as difficult as you want them to be, and with increased difficulty comes increased reward such as more loot dropping.

If you can get to level 80 and clear most or all of the end game maps without dying too much, or at all, then you can say that yeah, game is easy.

Shadenuat

Arcane
If the piece of armor you find has good stats but not enough slots, or slots of the wrong color, then simply drop like 2-4 orbs on it and you will get something you can use.
I think you're mixing loot system with customization. PoE has powerful customization but p. crappy loot in my opinion. Things like white items being useful is not something new, D2 had whites as currency after runes too. But there were options - sets, relics and even rares and oranges were viable.
In PoE it feels like everything is about the sockets. Sockets allow you to build real combos and change how your character plays. That's what is important for gameplay.

And no I don't remember much about Torchlight loot, probably was same shit like everywhere else. I mentioned it because it had better difficulty options.

The difficulty levels follow the modern shifted paradigm. Normal is easy, Cruel is normal, and Merciless is hard. <...> If you can get to level 80 and clear most or all of the end game maps without dying too much, or at all, then you can say that yeah, game is easy.
So it's like every other shitty MMO - what you do for first week is completely meaningless and dull.

Last edited:

Zdzisiu

Arcane
If the piece of armor you find has good stats but not enough slots, or slots of the wrong color, then simply drop like 2-4 orbs on it and you will get something you can use.
I think you're mixing loot system with customization. PoE has powerful customization but p. crappy loot in my opinion. Things like white items being useful is not something new, D2 had whites as currency after runes too. But there were options - sets, relics and even rares and oranges were viable.
In PoE it feels like everything is about the sockets. Sockets allow you to build real combos and change how your character plays. That's what is important for gameplay.

And no I don't remember much about Torchlight loot, probably was same shit like everywhere else. I mentioned it because it had better difficulty options.

The difficulty levels follow the modern shifted paradigm. Normal is easy, Cruel is normal, and Merciless is hard. <...> If you can get to level 80 and clear most or all of the end game maps without dying too much, or at all, then you can say that yeah, game is easy.
So it's like every other shitty MMO - what you do for first week is completely meaningless and dull.

Loot: No, not everything is about sockets. They play major role, as they allow you to make your skills more powerfull but there are some uniques that have no sockets and are still very powerfull. Certain uniques also are build definining in the sense that they allow you to do things that would otherwise be impossible to achieve (Not get freezed, get power/frenzy/endurance charges on attack, block without a shield, get life leech out of your elemental damage, stop chaos damage from bypassing your energy shield or make skills like righteus fire viable). In PoE rares are still very much viable, so much so, that the best items in game are rares and not uniques. And slots are really not as big of an issue as you make it. It is difficult only to get 5 and 6 slots, with links between all of them. To get 4 slots linked you only need to drop at most 10-15 jewellers orbs, and 4-5 fusings. And that allows you to make any item into a 4 link easily, being it rare or unique.

Difficulty: First week? I would say first 10-15 hours maybe to get to merciless. And as there is no possibility of full respec of your character (There are regret orbs that allow you to respec one point on skill tree each), even the first hours of your character are meaningfull as they influence how it will look like in the end game, what it will be capable of.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Frankly, my only beef with the game is the trading aspect. I simply cannot bring myself to do it. Even putting up items at outrageously low prices is too slow a process for me, so i often end up vendoring a lot of valuable stuff. I made enough currency using recipes and hoarding up drops to get to 80 but i didn't push it beyond that. I see people selling gear at crazy prizes now (this is on standard), like, 15 or more chaos for stuff that last year wouldn't have sold more than a couple of chaos orbs, but even so just the thought of spamming the chat or opening up a forum shop makes me recoil at the sheer boredom of it all.

Then again, i just play on my hardcore characters for a bit and then quit for a while. Path of Exile is the best Diablo clone currently available as far as i'm concerned (and you really need to understand how those type of games work to grasp why) but just like with Diablo 2 i really avoid getting hooked for too long. Who has the time anymore.

Last edited:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, the economy on Standard seems to be pretty much fucked by now. I wonder if gold sellers have anything to do with it or whether it's just the fact that most people probably play there, thus creating inflation.

With regards to trading, I used to only play self-found as well, but I don't any longer since trading has been made really convenient with two things:

1) Procurement to automatically set up your shop thread based on your stash tabs, in a format that XYZ can pick up (see point 2): https://code.google.com/p/procurement/
Example of what a Procurement-generated thread looks like: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1029807

2) The XYZ website which scans and indexes the aforementioned threads: http://poe.xyz.is/
So you can quickly search for the type of gear you're looking for.

You still need to contact people in-game to actually do the trade, but it really couldn't get much easier until they introduce a full-on AH. :)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'll give that a try i guess.

Doubt we'll ever get an AH, but anything that i can use to sell my stuff without spending any time, or more importantly time away from the game, is good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom