Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

frajaq

Erudite
I'm gonna play Occultist this league, probably Cold Snap of Power, hopefully the league mechanic isn't bad

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
hopefully the league mechanic isn't bad

This is GGG we're talking about, it'll be both overtuned in difficulty and undertuned in terms of rewards. Normally you'd just ignore the league mechanic for the first week until they patch it but you can't even do that now, so fun times ahead! :positive:

ArchAngel

Arcane
hopefully the league mechanic isn't bad

This is GGG we're talking about, it'll be both overtuned in difficulty and undertuned in terms of rewards. Normally you'd just ignore the league mechanic for the first week until they patch it but you can't even do that now, so fun times ahead! :positive:
I've evolved to ignoring the game instead. That is the final form.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
GJt5OY5XkAAvIQw.jpg

Zeriel

Arcane
Things like that chart make me realize I'm playing a completely different game from metaboys.

Zeriel

Arcane
I mean some of those builds in the list are viewed by the chart itself as bad. So it's kind of weird to include them at all I guess? "These are bad and you should feel bad for running them... but the other 200 skill gems not mentioned don't even exist."

I dunno, I think people just get way too invested in being meta when they aren't top players. Like does it really matter that your build or skill isn't the best when you are never going to compete with those people anyway? Or that it costs a few more divines to do red maps? That shit is like the difference of an hour or two of gameplay in the end. At best a few days. Fair enough if one relies on overpowered builds because they never could make anything else work, but personally I think the fun of ARPGs is doing your own thing, and that's especially PoE's selling point. I will continue to find it weird people play a game renowned for its depth and choices and then just copy someone else's build every time. It's like going to a farm's U-Pick and then paying someone else for a prepicked box of berries.

tritosine2k

Erudite
It's some peer pressure "special edition" they 100% copy everything down to last bits of speedrun antics. Realistically you scrounge up 3c - 10c for level unique but that's not "special" . xD

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I mean some of those builds in the list are viewed by the chart itself as bad. So it's kind of weird to include them at all I guess? "These are bad and you should feel bad for running them... but the other 200 skill gems not mentioned don't even exist."

I dunno, I think people just get way too invested in being meta when they aren't top players. Like does it really matter that your build or skill isn't the best when you are never going to compete with those people anyway? Or that it costs a few more divines to do red maps? That shit is like the difference of an hour or two of gameplay in the end. At best a few days. Fair enough if one relies on overpowered builds because they never could make anything else work, but personally I think the fun of ARPGs is doing your own thing, and that's especially PoE's selling point. I will continue to find it weird people play a game renowned for its depth and choices and then just copy someone else's build every time. It's like going to a farm's U-Pick and then paying someone else for a prepicked box of berries.
That chart is for starter builds specifically, so it excludes most other skills as they are not starter friendly. A lot of the grey ones are builds that get shilled by youtubers for clicks or are older starter builds from past leagues that people might be thinking about. Nobody is seriously talking about skills that aren't on the chart.

That chart is also not aimed at some full on norman who just started playing and is completely content with picking off monsters one by one with his 2-L Heavy Strike setup in Act 3. It's for people who want a smooth early progression and the ability to do most of the content on day 2-3 of the League, but also don't want to invest time and effort into testing all the possible builds themselves. To a lot of long time players it feels very bad to get stuck in lower tiers.

And since most people play in trade, those "at best few days" matter a lot. Even if you are not literally #1 having your name pop in the global message at launch, it's still a huge advantage to be among the first 10k people to reach t16 maps, because behind you is a horde of 200k+ people. They will all need the shitty rares you pick up from the floor, because they didn't pick a good starter and they need gear to progress and they will all give you all of their currency which you can then use to buy stronger items for much cheaper. Getting ahead of the pack has great benefits and is what makes it so exciting for many trade players.

Doing your "own thing" is reserved for your 2nd build, when you actually have some currency to spend on gear, in case you get stuck or whatever. Many of the more interesting builds require very specific Unique setups and simply won't work otherwise, so there is 0 point of starting out as that build.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, but my point is that's a vast exaggeration. You can league start with the final build you want to play. That's what I do every league. Is it slower in terms of making money than a meta build? Maybe, but who cares? Most people are not going to be equipped to use that league starter effectively anyway, so giving them that advice like it's going to make a huge effect to their final result... it's like giving a new driver a Formula 1 car because, technically, it is the fastest thing possible. At least in this metaphor they won't kill themselves by driving into a wall, but they don't need that high-performance machine, and they won't use it as you'd optimally think they would anyway, so it's rather pointless. I realize I'm arguing uphill here, but I just don't think this stuff is necessary. The irony is that a person will learn far, far more by building their own thing and making that effective than they will trying to ape league starters and meta builds without understanding any of it. That approach is how you end up with people having played the game for years and saying they only just started to learn how the game actually works. Because when you outsource all your knowledge to someone else, surprise, you have no knowledge.

At the end of the day, I find most of this is social signalling more than it is about efficiency. They are told you're dumb if you don't use X, Y, Z league starter, so that's why they do it. Not because it's actually helpful to them, but because everyone else is doing it. Same reason normies buy Apple phones and sneer at people who get a better or same phone for 1/2, 1/3rd the cost.

A final note on profits and getting there first: you're ignoring the flip side. For the 200k randoms coming in afterward... sure, they don't get to gloat about selling red maps for bank, but what do they get? An absolutely glutted market that lets you buy near-BiS items for cheap. You can get items for a divine or two once the market is filled out that you can only realistically improve on with mirror-tier items. That's why I say getting a slight edge is kind of pointless to the average player. So what if your build needs a dozen divines worth of gear to do what the perfect league starter does with a few dozen chaos? By the time you get there you can just trade for the items that make you as effective. I get it, in theory, there is an edge there, but that edge cannot even be properly utilized by the people who get random advice from Youtube videos.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So, is there an actual fun deadeye ssf starter build?
It's the one class I haven't played in endgame, but I've never really seen a build that looks cool for it, just "random whatever for clear, barrage for single target".

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's the one class I haven't played in endgame, but I've never really seen a build that looks cool for it, just "random whatever for clear, barrage for single target".

Ice shot got buffed but I don't know if it'll be better than lightning shot. Even my noob friend was able to finish campaign with lightning strike but I fed him some levelling uniques.
Elemental hit is kinda solid too with trinity support.
One can always play balista builds also, explosive arrow balista will still clear all the content while you are sleeping.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
ive played a number of bow rangers in ssf and was always able to reach maps smoothly. There are so many bow skills that are kind of synergistic, you just keep switching when you get bored. Also deadeye can do wands too. I was actually picking attack skill late based on uniques that ive acquired.

"random whatever for clear, barrage for single target".
it sums it up well, per my words above

Elemental hit is kinda solid too with trinity support.
except this. I never had luck with elemental hit in ssf

i might give a quick try this ssf league. How bad trickster RF would be this time around?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yeah fuck it, lightning arrow doesn't look so bad. Returning projectiles, auto casting frenzy, totems for bonus deeps, vaal skill. One button build to the extreme, even marks are on auto. Will try this out and see if I like it. Hilariously low defences too, good thing I gave up on hc long ago.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
I've thought about using the new ele hit gem on a Piscator's as some kind of wander build on deadeye, you get access to shield and 2000k leech to I think you become way tankier, might want to try that out if find that wand might be possible without not sure yet.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I've thought about using the new ele hit gem on a Piscator's as some kind of wander build on deadeye, you get access to shield and 2000k leech to I think you become way tankier, might want to try that out if find that wand might be possible without not sure yet.
I think I theorycrafted that at some point but the damage still seemed shit, and piscators isn't that available in ssf.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Seems the decline has come for my computer. Playing on dx11 I get massive blur as the game is downsampling. Playing on vulkan was fine except I got a ctd after 20 minutes. Had no such issues before switching to win10, but not sure if it's that or just new poe code that is the problem.

Ba'al

Scholar
Seems the decline has come for my computer. Playing on dx11 I get massive blur as the game is downsampling. Playing on vulkan was fine except I got a ctd after 20 minutes. Had no such issues before switching to win10, but not sure if it's that or just new poe code that is the problem.
It's the game. A few patches ago they made some adjustments to the engine and a lot of people got worse performance because of it. They never addressed this.

Your framerate is probably dropping because of all the MTX in towns, though.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
It's the game. A few patches ago they made some adjustments to the engine and a lot of people got worse performance because of it. They never addressed this.

Your framerate is probably dropping because of all the MTX in towns, though.
It's equally bad in maps though.

Ba'al

Scholar
Anyone else having lag spikes? Played on launch for 2 hours before going to sleep with no problems, have been trying to play all morning but it's been unplayable for me. Something something shitty EU servers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom