Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker Kickstarter Update #54: Releasing on September 25th, Preorder Available

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Owlcat Games; Pathfinder: Kingmaker

For a while it seemed like Owlcat were actually going to hit their original August release window for Pathfinder: Kingmaker, but today we received the predictable delay announcement. The game is now coming out on September 25th, which isn't that bad. That's a week after The Bard's Tale IV, so it'll be quite a month. Kingmaker is now available for preorder on Steam and GOG, and there's a new teaser trailer too.

What the Kickstarter update doesn't mention is that the game is being sold in a variety of editions. Notably, the $85 Imperial Edition includes a season pass granting access to three future DLCs (yes, just like Pillars of Eternity II). According to Owlcat's community manager in the comments, this edition doesn't correspond to any Kickstarter tier. Meaning that no matter how much money you backed the game with, you'll have to buy the season pass separately. It would be nice if they at least offered a discount upgrade for backers. Pillars II did!

Last edited by a moderator:
While the art style leaves something to be desired, I have great confidence that this is going to be what we've been waiting for. I certainly don't expect the writing to be its high point, but I doubt it anything less than serviceable. This is a game I will likely play immediately, rather than wait the year.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Season pass, eh? I wonder what DLC/expansions they plan to release.

Still, I am surprised the game has not been delayed any more. This means either that Owlcat are very efficient devs or that Kingmaker will be buggy as hell on release.

Also, I see a lot of complaining about the price on GOG forums, which does not bode well, unless critical reception will be in the same vein as Original Sin (unlikely). Here is hoping that the buggy game scenario does not come true.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Should really delay it to next February. If you release in September you're going to sell zero copies and get buttfucked by AAAA

Yes releasing the same week as the new FIFA is an excellent business strategy, yes indeed. Oh what was that, Assassin's Creed AND Forza the week after? Tomb Raider the week before?

HMM I WONDER HOW MANY COPIES THEY ARE GOING TO SELL

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Also, I see a lot of complaining about the price on GOG forums, which does not bode well, unless critical reception will be in the same vein as Original Sin (unlikely).

They're deleting/locking threads and banning people that complain about the pricing model on steam. Shit developers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't get it, what's the problem with the price? It's $40, cheaper than D:OS 2 and PoE2.

People whine about the price of deluxe editions whose only purpose is to soak fanboys?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I don't get it, what's the problem with the price? It's $40, cheaper than D:OS 2 and PoE2.

It's not the regular version price that people are complaining about, but the upgraded editions. $85 is a lot for a season pass and some cheap digital items.

Regardless of what you think about the value, they shouldn't be deleting threads and banning people for respectfully voicing their opinion.

People whine about the price of deluxe editions whose only purpose is to soak fanboys?

I normally wouldn't have a problem with it, but the deluxe content costs nearly as much as the game itself. I understand why people are frustrated.

Last edited:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Preordered, maybe it won't suck.
So you ordered product of unknown quality from developer without any reputation and will receive game in same time as average customers...You know, nothing personal, but you and whole industry will benefit from reconsidering your shopping methods. Just friendly suggestion, it's just sad for me seeing people losing their money in gambling called "pre-order" and I don't want this happen to anyone.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Should really delay it to next February. If you release in September you're going to sell zero copies and get buttfucked by AAAA

Yes releasing the same week as the new FIFA is an excellent business strategy, yes indeed. Oh what was that, Assassin's Creed AND Forza the week after? Tomb Raider the week before?

I suspect that studio has no experience in gaming industry or has, but very small. Perhaps we would observe another tragedy of low sales and this "lesson in marketing" will be last for studio.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
They're deleting/locking threads and banning people that complain about the pricing model on steam. Shit developers.
Arrogant behavior of community manager (or whoever in charge of forums) will bring even less sales. This (in combination with release date) make me think that Kingmaker will be first and last Pathfinder crpg. Because studio will bankrupt and other devs would ignore Pathfinder setting as perspective for making a game.

Fargus

Arcane
Another fantasy rpg, with a setting i don't give a fuck about, season pass with a bunch of dlcs, game is probably full of sjw trash as well. I have a bad feeling about this one. Pass.

I'll buy Insomnia instead.

Mortmal

Arcane

It's not the regular version price that people are complaining about, but the upgraded editions. $85 is a lot for a season pass and some cheap digital items.

Regardless of what you think about the value, they shouldn't be deleting threads and banning people for respectfully voicing their opinion.

I normally wouldn't have a problem with it, but the deluxe content costs nearly as much as the game itself. I understand why people are frustrated.
45$ for the season pass, we have no idea how much content that is. Still the base game come for cheap, 40$ its really nothing. That's why we cant have great things anymore, people dont want to pay the right price. So we get everything tailored for the mass market, mass market prices ,everything done by slaves with low wages at minimal effort for minimal price catering to the wider market possible.
I'd pay double easily for a good rpg , and i will gladly pay a few hundreds for something really extraordinary , something that gives me the same feeling discovering ultima 7 or wizardry 7-8 for the first time.So far only Divinity original sin 1 and 2 almost managed that .

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The season pass will be available for sale separately when the game is released. Will probably cost $20-25 (PoE2's is $25).

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

I wonder to what extend those are substituting products though. A typical console player who plays FIFA doesn't strike me as someone who has even heard, let alone potentially playing an isometric CRPG.

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron Since this thing is now available for preorder, did you get the keys for the backers of the Codex fundraiser?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I wonder to what extend those are substituting products though. A typical console player who plays FIFA doesn't strike me as someone who has even heard, let alone potentially playing an isometric CRPG.

The problem is that #1 the entire population of Europe plays FIFA on console pretty sure, so lets say 30% of the customers play FIFA because Europeans are prestigious and like good RPGs whilst being addicted to football.

Then you have the Assassin's creed fans, the Forza Horizon 4 fans, take off X% for all of those. It's death by a thousand cuts, each of those huge games attracts customers and crucially media attention, until you have literally nothing left.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
If this game fails, it won't be because of other games released the same month or because of forum drama nobody has heard of.

It'll be because barely anybody has heard about the game, because not many people really wanted it, and because it's an Eternity clone instead of a Divinity clone.

45$ for the season pass, we have no idea how much content that is. Still the base game come for cheap, 40$ its really nothing. That's why we cant have great things anymore, people dont want to pay the right price. So we get everything tailored for the mass market, mass market prices ,everything done by slaves with low wages at minimal effort for minimal price catering to the wider market possible.
I'd pay double easily for a good rpg , and i will gladly pay a few hundreds for something really extraordinary , something that gives me the same feeling discovering ultima 7 or wizardry 7-8 for the first time.So far only Divinity original sin 1 and 2 almost managed that .

The original Baldur's Gate (1998) retailed for $49.99? If you just use straight BLS figures for inflation, that's $76.86 in today's currency. BLS inflation figures are notoriously low. If you add the price of Tales of the Sword Coast, you're going to end up with Pathfinder: Kingmaker being much lower cost in real terms. The economic reality has changed for many over the past 20 years, which ultimately makes $85 prohibitive for many, so I get it. Being that you're giving a hamburger today to be repaid Tuesday doesn't help either.

I had glossed over that they were selling these DLCs. I'll have to retract my statement and say that I'll wait until they are all released. I may still buy the "imperial version" now to keep their lights on, but I don't have the kind of time to do multiple play-throughs. I need to wait for product to be done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom