Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: The Dragon's Demand - Pathfinder 2E turn-based miniatures RPG from Ossian Studios - Kickstarter Live

Dark Souls II

Educated
Shitposter
5e07bb6f806f0f03ad8086c5b46b060c_original.jpg
How can you look at an "art" like this and still play the game? Do you have no dignity left at all?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The pairing of cartoon graphics and miniature figure bases is a very odd decision, visually and conceptually... like they don't know whether they want us to abstract the characters like we're playing a TTRPG or actually be immersed in what is being displayed.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I'm excited. The visual presentation might not be the best but it has potential to have some good gameplay. Could be better than BG3 at least which had horrible combat encounters but fancy presentation with mo capped cringe that manipulated people into thinking they liked what they were playing. I see flying actually having elevation which shows potential from the gameplay side.

Owlcat said they aren't working on a pathfinder game currently. Possible Paizo found a new company to put out games for them in their new edition and if this is successful we might see them turn out a lot more adventure paths in the same engine. Hopefully higher level campaigns. This could be a test run to see if Ossian is worthy.

I think the miniatures will appeal to a certain crowd and the rest of us might just have to overlook it or even come to appreciate its simplicity to a degree. I would prefer this to all the veneer mo-capped like crap that creates huge budgets and long times between games while not offering much beyond something shiny to look at while you engage with boring content. Could be a sign that the game won't waste our time with fluff and focus more on gameplay which is something sorely needed and it means that if this does good they could probably churn out a steady flow of new content. Either way, I will back it

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The pairing of cartoon graphics and miniature figure bases is a very odd decision, visually and conceptually... like they don't know whether they want us to abstract the characters like we're playing a TTRPG or actually be immersed in what is being displayed.
That's just the Pathfinder art style, always has been https://shop.wizkids.com/collections/pathfinder
Yes, it's the art style, but my point is that including the miniature figure bases from the TTRPG side of things in a game where there are also animations and combat effects and everything else creates a weird cognitive dissonance. I haven't seen that done in any other pathfinder crpg (or D&D ones either, for that matter, where miniatures also obviously have bases in the tabletop version). Maybe it will make more sense in the greater context of the game, but it sticks out weirdly in the trailer.

I think the miniatures will appeal to a certain crowd and the rest of us might just have to overlook it or even come to appreciate its simplicity to a degree.

To each their own, as ever!

La vie sexuelle

Learned
That's just the Pathfinder art style, always has been https://shop.wizkids.com/collections/pathfinder
Yes, it's the art style, but my point is that including the miniature figure bases from the TTRPG side of things in a game where there are also animations and combat effects and everything else creates a weird cognitive dissonance. I haven't seen that done in any other pathfinder crpg (or D&D ones either, for that matter, where miniatures also obviously have bases in the tabletop version). Maybe it will make more sense in the greater context of the game, but it sticks out weirdly in the trailer.

I think the miniatures will appeal to a certain crowd and the rest of us might just have to overlook it or even come to appreciate its simplicity to a degree.

To each their own, as ever!
I wonder how they will solve the traffic counting issue. When we have hexes, it's obvious. But how will they do it here? Similar to that weird points system from the first Fallouts?

The difference is that where there are hexes, the designer creates the framework of the game through them. Where we have free points everything is more unpredictable, but I'm afraid that unless your name is "Black Isle" the effect can be very annoying.

scytheavatar

Scholar
I'm excited. The visual presentation might not be the best but it has potential to have some good gameplay. Could be better than BG3 at least which had horrible combat encounters but fancy presentation with mo capped cringe that manipulated people into thinking they liked what they were playing. I see flying actually having elevation which shows potential from the gameplay side.

Owlcat said they aren't working on a pathfinder game currently. Possible Paizo found a new company to put out games for them in their new edition and if this is successful we might see them turn out a lot more adventure paths in the same engine. Hopefully higher level campaigns. This could be a test run to see if Ossian is worthy.

I think the miniatures will appeal to a certain crowd and the rest of us might just have to overlook it or even come to appreciate its simplicity to a degree. I would prefer this to all the veneer mo-capped like crap that creates huge budgets and long times between games while not offering much beyond something shiny to look at while you engage with boring content. Could be a sign that the game won't waste our time with fluff and focus more on gameplay which is something sorely needed and it means that if this does good they could probably churn out a steady flow of new content. Either way, I will back it

PF2E is going to be a tough nut for any studio to crack, let alone an indie one. The fundamental problem is that it is a crunchy system with lots of things to learn that will scare off casuals, while the hardcore codex gang are going to be unimpressed by the Sawyerism and 4e influence on the system. The 3 action economy is also going to demand extremely good UI design for combat to not suck. While the entire system is a tightly designed one with every element necessary to support another element and little room for homebrewing or making changes.

I guess good luck to Ossian, cause they will need it.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

PF2E is going to be a tough nut for any studio to crack, let alone an indie one. The fundamental problem is that it is a crunchy system with lots of things to learn that will scare off casuals, while the hardcore codex gang are going to be unimpressed by the Sawyerism and 4e influence on the system. The 3 action economy is also going to demand extremely good UI design for combat to not suck. While the entire system is a tightly designed one with every element necessary to support another element and little room for homebrewing or making changes.

The hardcore side will play anything that comes out within the DnD(-ish) based crpg genre. Don't think it matters too much outside of any small influence they have when they shit talk the game afterwards. Casuals will have no problem lowering the difficulty if it appeals to them from some other angle.

The games biggest limiting factor won't be the system that can mostly be ignorable on normal difficulty, it will be drawing in the larger crowds without fancy graphics, voice acting, mo capped sex scenes, etc.

scytheavatar

Scholar

The hardcore side will play anything that comes out within the DnD(-ish) based crpg genre. Don't think it matters too much outside of any small influence they have when they shit talk the game afterwards. Casuals will have no problem lowering the difficulty if it appeals to them from some other angle.

The games biggest limiting factor won't be the system that can mostly be ignorable on normal difficulty, it will be drawing in the larger crowds without fancy graphics, voice acting, mo capped sex scenes, etc.

Honestly, I don't think you can ignore PF2E just by "lowering the difficulty". People who are used to 5E are going to be in for a shock when they see how PF2E works. The fact that you are not supposed to attack 3 times a turn unless it's against trash mobs is going to be something you need to teach these people, and it's not going to be easy to do that.

PF2E is not matter what an anti-power fantasy system, or more accurately it's a system about building powerful teams rather than powerful characters. It's not a system that everyone will like. I mean, how many people will enjoy the fact that a +1 feels great? And even for casuals I am not sure they are not going to be excited about a game that doesn't give them that power fantasy.

GreyViper

Prophet

You know I cant disagree with that, BG3 did rise the bar in certain areas, I would say for larger audience. The niche hardcore would certainly play Owlcat style minimum graphics, hell even without sex, if the system and writing is good and plays well. I mean if classics like Dark Sun still hold up so well against some of the mediocre RPGs, then you can certainly do well, its just what audience your catering for.

I watched today history of HeroQuest and SpaceCrusade, what struck out was the popularity for these were due to well done art and storytelling that came with the books.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.ossianstudios.com/2024/09/14/kickstarter-launching-september-24/

Kickstarter Launching September 24​

Ossian Studios and Paizo are thrilled to announce the Kickstarter campaign for The Dragon’s Demand will be going live on September 24th, 2024!

Developed by Baldur’s Gate and Neverwinter Nights veterans, Pathfinder: The Dragon’s Demand is the first CRPG to feature a comprehensive implementation of the Pathfinder Second Edition rules. The return of a legendary dragon long vanquished sees the town of Belhaim once again under dire threat. The game will present a huge, interactive world to explore, with hundreds of characters and dozens of quests that react to the player’s choices. A cast of colorful companions, including iconic characters such as the goblin alchemist Fumbus, will be on hand to join the player’s party, each featuring their own motivations and backstory.

Pathfinder: The Dragon’s Demand showcases a unique visual style, presenting a game world and miniature-based characters that recreate the look and feel of tabletop roleplaying. The unique, grid-based system allows for fully three-dimensional, turn-based combat. Players will need their wits about them as flying enemies swoop down from the skies to attack, and enemy wizards levitate above the field of battle to toss fireballs down upon their foes. The endless tactical and role-playing opportunities encourage players to explore Belhaim and the surrounding lands in their own way, recreating those feelings of excitement and discovery that make the best tabletop campaigns so memorable.

With over 30 hours of gameplay accompanied by a beautiful soundtrack and professional voice acting, gamers can look forward to a classic, single-player, party-based CRPG experience where they will be able to:
  • Create deep, custom character builds from a choice of 7 ancestries, 16 classes, and more than 30 backgrounds.
  • Play as a dwarf, elf, gnome, goblin, halfling, human, or an orc.
  • Choose their path as an alchemist, barbarian, bard, champion, cleric, druid, fighter, investigator, monk, oracle, ranger, rogue, sorcerer, swashbuckler, witch, or wizard.
  • Form a party of four with up to three companions out of a possible dozen characters encountered during their adventures to forge bonds of friendship and even romance!
  • Level up characters to level 8.
  • Wield a multitude of powerful spells from all four magical traditions: Arcane, Divine, Occult, and Primal.
  • Equip hundreds of unique armors and weapons, and see them dynamically change on miniature characters.
  • Explore the region using an interactive world map to travel to many mysterious and dangerous locations across the Dragonfen, Verduran Forest, and the town of Belhaim.
Be sure to check out the trailer and press kit, and join Ossian Studios’ Kickstarter campaign on September 24th at DragonsDemand.com!

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
more than I was expecting
also ancestries? you mean races or is that a bad word now
Makes sense, to be honest. They don't have to deal with any drama or complaints just by simply changing a word. My cost benefit analysis would lead me to doing something similar. Better than D&D's approach although I think Paizo ended up doing a little bit of that as well anyways.

rojay

Scholar
4 men part RIP in peperoni
You create 4 and get up to 3 companions for a total of 7, that's like Wasteland 2.
  • Form a party of four with up to three companions out of a possible dozen characters encountered during their adventures to forge bonds of friendship and even romance!
Sounds like you create 1 and can have 3 companions.

Luke Scull

Ossian Studios
Developer
4 men part RIP in peperoni
You create 4 and get up to 3 companions for a total of 7, that's like Wasteland 2.
Sounds like you create 1 and can have 3 companions.
This is correct: you create the PC and can have up to three companions.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
4 seems to be the standard now. Sad that you can't experience a lot more of the more niche picks but it isn't a deal breaker. I'll go with my standard Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Druid team. The classes like alchemist are usually reserved for the final slots after I fulfil the roles I will need for sure so it is a bit of a disappointment but it is what it is. Waiting for 8 characters to make a come back but won't happen in our post BG3 world

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom