Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Once again, taken from their YouTube (excuse the Romanian):

Owlcat Games acum 5 ore
So it is now official - the game will be released on the 2nd of September. We've got a ton of great feedback from you since Wednesday, and we want to say a huge THANK YOU for believing in us! On a side note, we wonder - what games do you wait for as much as Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous this year?

UIIaQsWn45YQwM9HBSooSCT7V_jjs6CmSlrIQB7bDiSsB-B3vWLRQoQ8S0_IwuvGxXKUgaT-ePao8g=s640-nd

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
disarming strikes disable the defensive fight ac bonus though.

edit
also you loose then defensive parry ac since it only works with full attacks.

Ah that makes sense. Maybe that's why they changed Disarming Strike to be a proc. I got spoiled with CotW where it just lets you replace one attack in a full attack with a Disarm (or any CM other than Dirty Trick) as it is in PnP.

Desiderius

Patron
Ok some stuff from first playthrough Rogue Master of All archetype (Half-Elf only). Half-Elf gets Keen Senses and Elven Resistances (mostly +2 vs Mind) so good fit for Rogue building toward Perception/Knowledge (World) focused Trickster. This Archetype trades three Sneak Dice (lvls 3,9,15) for three Skill Focus Feats, which is incredible. Add the one you start with and you've got four. You also open up Advanced Rogue Abilities that let you taken ten on some of them, or you can get same from Mythic versions.

Using Aldori background to pick up Dueling Sword and Buckler proficiency since don't really want to burn the Feats to go two-weapon.

Crusader Seelah.jpg

Like having a Crusader for thematic reasons and since Seelah has already burned a Feat on Shield Focus she gets the nod. WIS isn't ideal but she'll be bashing not beating saves.

point blank toggle.jpg

One of several very creative and useful convenience features. Someone at Owlcat does play the game, just wish the bugfixers did. This should really help out in making your Sneaks proc but don't think they needed to be within 30 ft in P:K anyway despite what the tooltip said.

Master of Skills lvl3.jpg

My main man working on Perception first to make sure we don't miss anything. I really like having a main who can cover Trickery so I can leave Cam on the bench. Wolj of course not being reliable.

Permanent Lockpicker's Kit.jpg

They have added a couple things if you want to leave the Trickery to say Nenio who doesn't get it as a class skill. That one's permanent. This one:

Using Lockpick.jpg

They cost 1,000 per but you do find them in treasure and the like.

Lock Options.jpg

New interface for locks - destroy, pick, or lockpick.

Favored Demons.jpg

Rangers have different categories of Demons to cover for Favored Enemy. Makes the Demon-dedicated archetype better, I think, will need to check that, and Aru slightly worse. Nomad archetype is supposed to restrict you to a Mounted Archery and in return you get Point Blank Master (which you need for that) for free but currently missing Horse.

PlusMinus.jpg

Here you can see where it shows you what the archetype adds (the green plusses - in this case Animal Aspect auras) and what it takes away (red x's - wild shaping in this case).

Raptor Pet.jpg

This is just a slightly faster Leopard without the Trip, which is probably the ideal pet. Triceratops very similar to Elk. Went with Horse for Lann so he can use Point Blank from ZA3 and eventually get to Snap Shot to use his Combat Reflexes. Horse gets him in position for that. Mounted Combat Feats protect Mount so you can lead with Mounted Charge then let Mount tank.

Divine Cantrip.jpg

New cantrip does Divine Damage since Demons have so much Elemental DR. Not great, but always does some damage - no SR and no touch needed.

Barding Feat.jpg

Pets get Feats now, Barding looking strong so far so why not pick up some proficiency:

Barding.jpg

He hits reasonably hard so the AoO is welcome and speed sets Charge range so that's great too.

Desiderius

Patron
Magic Fang, Greater Potion.jpg

Some very handy new potions. Note the duration on this thing. Makes attax Magical for DR bypass purposes without using the neck slot.

Retrain.jpg

Retrain now in game very welcome though it evidently doesn't work with Mythic levels so not THAT useful but nice to see what builds look like etc...

Flat footed.jpg

Another useful tutorial confirms what I'd always suspected but had never confirmed. Outnumbering can produce flat-footed. This is main reason Uncanny Dodge is so good. Use to advantage against tough foes.

Slippery Mind.jpg

Pretty freaking good with that stat line.

Master Will Save.jpg

Yes, this isn't Hard yet. Still pretty nice Will Save for a fifth level Rogue. Would have been +15 but was Fatigued.

Weapon Companion.jpg

Weapon companion starts here. Ghost Touch is a nice one.

Azlant.jpg

Maybe a hint where we're headed next.

Tolkien Drow.jpg

New questline with some Tolkienesque racial perspective.

Desiderius

Patron
If there’s anyone who has an in with Owlcat can you pls ask them for an ETA on Second Mystery/Spirit Mythic Ability working? It’s kind of the most important ability on two of the companions that they are most heavily promoting so really flabbergasted how that can’t even be a known issue.

Reported several times and now have playthrough on hold (as were previous ones because it’s hard to want to play a companion missing their principal distinctive ability).

Desiderius

Patron
Likewise they advertise two new Prestige Classes and one is missing its title (and apparently any content whatsoever - I got the prereqs, was able to select it, but there’s nothing there and unable to finish creation) and the other has a prereq (Frost) that’s missing its title (at least for Witch) which makes it easy to miss and then when you get there your only spell that qualifies is Snowball for several levels (even from the Patron!). So conceivably you just use some metamagic then to fill up your spellbook with Balls until midgame.

Shaman Frost Spirit does have a title, but there your only Cold Spells forever are your Patron spells (one per level).

Half assed at best. Come on people.

Dodo1610

Arcane
It boggles my mind that Owlcat somehow managed to create one of the best character creators ever only 3 years ago for Kingmaker. Yet they improved it so much for WOTR that the old one looks and feels like utter garbage
3tuKfWD.png
BQKUFxr.png
This game is pure :incline:

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Other than the missing ability to drill down into class powers and spell lists during creation I would agree. Also BAB and Save progression isn't exactly clear, people who don't know 3e wouldn't get it at all.

It was ridiculously ambitious for a new studio using a new engine for a new game system though, so some flubs are forgivable.

Desiderius

Patron
You can’t right click the level to see what spells come open like you could in P:K. Not sure what you mean by specific spell progression.

What is the actual deal with the Spiked Shields with no AC? You can just use a weapon if you’re getting no AC and then you don’t have to eat the heavy penalty until Shield Mastery comes open.

I mean Shield Focus and Magical Vestment but you should at least get the base AC for a non-magical Shield.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Kingmaker had the best character creator ever and now, Wrath of The Righteous is surpassing it. I just don't get why OwlCat doesn't put it as an early access on steam/gog. Any info about if they will put the later stages of beta on storefronts? I wanna to play it an KoTC2 so much...

At least an youtube, wizard lets play following demon, lich or azata path. Anyone has a link for it? I tried to find it.

Rieser

Scholar
Been playing the beta for a bit, and so far it's very much incline. In fact, it has so much going for it that it irks me just thinking about the fact that the travesty that is Baldur's Gate 3 will inevitably fair better commercially.

Also: fuck me, who chose the actor for this Daeran character? The acting is largely fine so far, but I just crashed Daeran's party and this fucking VA needs to hang.

To the point were I obviously chose alternative 3. What an annoying cunt.

75e20b88c20bce3970f82e9f4becc1d8.png

Only to find out that this motherfucker simply reanimates every time I kill him, leading to a never ending fight. Thus, I had to let him live.

C U N T

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
I’m glad I play with the sound turned down. I like the writing and the gameplay on Daeran (or at least the non-missing half) but could never endure that voice the whole game.

Hulruun is the opposite - great voice lousy writing.

Desiderius

Patron
As far as character creation goes, this game will surpass Arcanum imo, if it hasn't already.

The race specific archetypes are just incredible and they’ve made up several more interesting ones open to everyone like Arcane Rider.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just don't get why OwlCat doesn't put it as an early access on steam/gog.
Bro... we like what we see, because we're the top 15%. You actually want to show this crapshow to a general audience?

1. They won't understand a thing.
2. They'll complain about the fact that the buttons don't looks cute and animu.

Any info about if they will put the later stages of beta on storefronts?
This feels like a much more interesting conundrum, because I am much more interested in the GOG version.
it has so much going for it that it irks me just thinking about the fact that the travesty that is Baldur's Gate 3 will inevitably fair better commercially.
I hate to be that guy... you know... THAT GUY, but BG 3 has done better already. Unless the world suddenly gains like 20 IQ points/person, the travesty will continue. :(
I’m glad I play with the sound turned down.
:argh: MOTHERFUCKER! :argh: So that's why you don't get my Jaethal jokes, you fuck! :argh:
Jaethal random line when told where to go: "The "undead" is such a frivolous term. I prefer "Immortal". "Eternal". "Everlasting"

Desiderius

Patron
This game will surpass BG3 unless Swen gets his head out of his ass or Owlcat fails to get theirs on basic Quality Control.

Technomancer

Liturgist
What's up with that Trickster ability I heard about, the one that adds random effects to magic gear or something. How does that work, anyone has a screenshot?

Desiderius

Patron
What's up with that Trickster ability I heard about, the one that adds random effects to magic gear or something. How does that work, anyone has a screenshot?

It (Mythic Knowledge (Arcana) I) was supposed to add an additional +1 but in the Alpha it was adding both, so a +1 Sword became a +3 (+1 plus the new +2), a +2 became a +5 etc...

II added effects I think but you couldn't get that far in the Alpha.

Desiderius

Patron
Some cool Winter Witch abilities:

Winter Witch.jpg

If you like Freezing things she'll get 'er done, and eventually Icy Prison, Mass with an extra several DC tacked on. Or just maul stuff as a Smilodon I guess.

Configurable Skeletal Salesman.jpg

Skeletal Salesman is back, now configurable. He was selling that Shield - been in situations where it would have come in very handy. If, you know, it had an AC. Have no idea what they're doing with these spiked Shields.

Reformed Fiend.jpg

Tiefling race specific archetype gives up pretty much nothing to get some solid boosts vs Evil and non-Evil alike.

Bloodline FeatsSpells.jpg

Main drawback is that you're restricted to these two Bloodlines. But it's not like they're bad.

Bloodline abilities.jpg

As you can see there are several unique abilities that come with each one. If I'm playing A Bloodrager I'm going with this one.

Abundant Casting.jpg

The irresistible force (Abundant Casting) meets the immovable object (Diminished Casting + 14 WIS). Works out pretty good. She'll pick up Impossible Domain Nobility for Inspiring Command at some point and will be very solid.

Phantasmal Mage.jpg

Here's the Gnome archetype for Arcanist. This would be a lot of fun to play, and a good use for Arcane Reservoir pts. Only place I've seen Selective and Persistent Metamagic in Wrath so far. They're both outstanding.

Priest of Balance.jpg

New Cleric archetype trades a Domain for the ability to use both types on Channeling/Spontaneous and to have them boost each other if you alternate.

Desiderius

Patron
New Druid Archetype finally gets there for Wild Shapers:

Rampage.jpg

Rampager Abilities.jpg

Losing Pet/Domain is a steep price but looks like a force.

Spell Dancer.jpg

Elf Magus archetype. Since you lose weapon enhancement looks like you're using the enhanced mobility to run around and position your cone spells.

Student of Stone.jpg

Oread Monk archetype. Main thing you lose here is Evasion, most other things are just modified. This is what Pink Eye is running.

QStaff Master.jpg

Quarterstaff Monk can Flurry with QStaff. You lose Style Strikes but gain different CMs (including Disarm and Bull Rush not pictured) in their place. QStaff dice also go up to +3 categories at lvl 20.

Sohei.jpg

Sohei loses a ton (can use Monk Bonus Feats for Mounted Feats) but gets a Mount, Weapon training, and lvl/2 to initiative? This thing is nuts.

Purifier.jpg

Aasimar Oracle Archetype. Losing three Revelations is no joke but neither are these abilities. Oracles can hold their own in combat and this takes that to another level. Not much Undead but Demons everywhere means this thing will have many more Channeling targets than conventional Clerics.

Imitator Stances.jpg

These are the Stances from the Human Slayer archetype. My guess is that this thing is WAY better than it looks, but it will take me awhile to get to it.

nine Tail.jpg

Finally Kitsune Sorc. If you were wanting those Nine Tail Feats here's your chance without completely gimping yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom