Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I have heard that Nok-Nok is great, but I didn't get far enough in to grab him (or maybe I missed him?) I have played KM a lot, but I haven't ever really progressed very far after getting the Barony. Keep restarting with different builds and playing a lot of Tenebrous Depths

That's what I figured. A lot of us did that and hated the companions. Then once we got further changed out minds.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Kingmaker has the exact opposite problem as Pillars of Eternity for me. I really enjoyed the companions, but you definitely had an easier time if you hired mercs, because they weren't the most optimized as far as stats go. Still manageable at higher difficulties, but I really liked the characters so I kept them.

Heh. You do have unique taste then.

I suppose so. I really liked Devil of Caroc, Eder, Aloth, Durance and Haravias. That was my squad.

Lilliput McHammersmith

I have heard that Nok-Nok is great, but I didn't get far enough in to grab him (or maybe I missed him?) I have played KM a lot, but I haven't ever really progressed very far after getting the Barony. Keep restarting with different builds and playing a lot of Tenebrous Depths

That's what I figured. A lot of us did that and hated the companions. Then once we got further changed out minds.

Perhaps they get better, but Amiri's VA is still super grating. I just played the first part of the game earlier today and man she is bad, as are her lines.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Like I said, I'm sure you'll have your Mercs by release and they'll probably cave and give them a decent buy this time around.
Pretty sure they're in already, there's a Pathfinder Society guy at the Crusader camp. You have the dialogue option to hire them, at least, I just never explored it.

I suppose so. I really liked Devil of Caroc, Eder, Aloth, Durance and Haravias. That was my squad.
I liked those guys too. The decline in companion writing was my biggest disappointment with Deadfire.

Perhaps they get better, but Amiri's VA is still super grating. I just played the first part of the game earlier today and man she is bad, as are her lines.
I thought so at first but in retrospect it is as it should be because
Amiri is a huge poser and her tribe doesn't like her either

Desiderius

Patron

PoE was better than Deadfire. I liked the Eskimo girl. Eder and Durance of course are fixtures.

Desiderius

Patron
Poor Amiri.jpg

Lilliput McHammersmith

Like I said, I'm sure you'll have your Mercs by release and they'll probably cave and give them a decent buy this time around.
Pretty sure they're in already, there's a Pathfinder Society guy at the Crusader camp. You have the dialogue option to hire them, at least, I just never explored it.

I liked those guys too. The decline in companion writing was my biggest disappointment with Deadfire.

I thought so at first but in retrospect it is as it should be because
Amiri is a huge poser and her tribe doesn't like her either

I agree about Deadfire. I made it about halfway through, but man the companions just aren’t nearly as good as the first one. Gameplay is great, but I actually loved the writing and tone and pretty much everything about the first one.

Desiderius

Patron
He hates mercenaries so much you would think one of them stole his fiancée.

She'd escape and come back. I want people to experience a great design before mauling it, either by mod or merc.

In WotR, I've already run out of slots for the companions I'm hoping to play so mercs are the farthest thing from my mind.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I agree about Deadfire. I made it about halfway through, but man the companions just aren’t nearly as good as the first one. Gameplay is great, but I actually loved the writing and tone and pretty much everything about the first one.
I keep going back to it in short bursts, and I have fun with it - I like everything about it more than PoE1, except the companions, main story with Eothas, and everything being per-encounter. But for some reason I never keep playing it for more than a couple weeks, and I still haven't finished it even though I own all the DLC, whereas normally I just play a game straight through and then play CK2 a bunch until the next RPG strikes my fancy.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Ugh, you reminded me that PoE 2 with all its updates and DLC is still gathering dust in my library. I've been meaning to do a playthrough with a custom party and remixed soundtrack for so long now.

Lilliput McHammersmith

I keep going back to it in short bursts, and I have fun with it - I like everything about it more than PoE1, except the companions, main story with Eothas, and everything being per-encounter. But for some reason I never keep playing it for more than a couple weeks, and I still haven't finished it even though I own all the DLC, whereas normally I just play a game straight through and then play CK2 a bunch until the next RPG strikes my fancy.

You can actually turn off the per-encounter stuff to make it play more like PoE 1. It's one of Magran's Fires.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Ugh, you reminded me that PoE 2 with all its updates and DLC is still gathering dust in my library. I've been meaning to do a playthrough with a custom party and remixed soundtrack for so long now.

Yeah it's been gathering for me for some time as well now. I was about to get into it, but I decided on playing Tyrants of the Moonsea instead, amidst my Alpha testing of WOTR

Sharpedge

Prophet
I wasn't really a fan of any of the Pathfinder companions with the exception of Jaethal, but then again, I don't like companions in most rpgs either. I am usually quite fussy when it comes to which companions I like. At least I didn't actively dislike Pathfinder companions, unlike Xoti in Deadfire. Me being fussy about companion personality is entirely a matter of personal taste though. Whether or not a companion is optimized doesn't really concern me, I can make them work well enough to play through the game without issues.

Ghulgothas

Arcane

Yeah it's been gathering for me for some time as well now. I was about to get into it, but I decided on playing Tyrants of the Moonsea instead, amidst my Alpha testing of WOTR
One thing I discovered when I played it on launch is that PoE 2's nautical setting lends itself very well to select audio tracks from other stuff. Pieces from the score of old Spongebob Episodes are just such a natural fit for making this game the jaunty, free-range Pirate RPG it was always meant to be.

In a similar vein, I look forward to running bits and pieces from the Diablo I & II soundtracks for Wrath.

Lilliput McHammersmith

I wasn't really a fan of any of the Pathfinder companions with the exception of Jaethal, but then again, I don't like companions in most rpgs either. I am usually quite fussy when it comes to which companions I like. At least I didn't actively dislike Pathfinder companions, unlike Xoti in Deadfire. Me being fussy about companion personality is entirely a matter of personal taste though. Whether or not a companion is optimized doesn't really concern me, I can make them work well enough to play through the game without issues.

Interesting. I find Xoti much more enjoyable (I actually like her) than any companion that I have yet come across in Pathfinder. Deadfire also has Eder and Aloth who are still great, if not as enjoyable in Pillars 1.

Lilliput McHammersmith

One thing I discovered when I played it on launch is that PoE 2's nautical setting lends itself very well to select audio tracks from other stuff. Pieces from the score of old Spongebob Episodes are just such a natural fit for making this game the jaunty, free-range Pirate RPG it was always meant to be.

In a similar vein, I look forward to running bits and pieces from the Diablo I & II soundtracks for Wrath.

Honestly, I love the music in Deadfire, and I think the writing and story are serviceable enough. I think the big mistake of Deadfire is making it be the continuation of the Watcher's story. It would have been so much better and way more replayable if it was an entirely new main character.

I expected to loathe Valerie and like Jaethal, but it surprisingly turned out opposite. Outside of introduction and initial exposition, Valerie is just the honorable solider type. Very level headed. Jaethal is more of a mixed bag. As an advisor, great. Absolutely great. Outside of that role, she just reminds me how awful an edgy, bored, teenager can be. I was led to believe Regongar was going to be cool, but he just turned out inexplicably and relentlessly gay. Nok-Nok is swell. He is also right about Amiri being insufferable. Tristain is hopelessly beta, but otherwise alright. Harrim and Ekundayo are barely there, but Harrim is mildly annoying when he is. Linzi and Jubilost are a little over done, but good at being what they are. The twins are generally enjoyable. Octavia unintentionally let me know I should stay far away from her right away, so I have.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron

Honestly, I love the music in Deadfire, and I think the writing and story are serviceable enough. I think the big mistake of Deadfire is making it be the continuation of the Watcher's story. It would have been so much better and way more replayable if it was an entirely new main character.

I think they should have went with a kind of combination of a new protag and old protag. Just have a 'new' protagonist with the same soul as the protag in the 1st game.

guestposting

Educated
You’ve gotta play all the way through to the house at the end of time to really appreciate the companions in Kingmaker. They have great arcs.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Bowling infusion, and it's the only one that matters.

Good to see we're in agreement then. I'm not sure what the point of everything else is.
The point is that you keep bringing up irrelevant things as arguments against the power of the Kineticist. You put forth the Sirocco Sorcerer as a counterexample, but he has a lower BAB and no iteratives either. You would naturally object to anyone bringing those up when discussing the sorceror's power, so I can't understand why you do that for the Kineticist.

Sharpedge

Prophet

Good to see we're in agreement then. I'm not sure what the point of everything else is.
The point is that you keep bringing up irrelevant things as arguments against the power of the Kineticist. You put forth the Sirocco Sorcerer as a counterexample, but he has a lower BAB and no iteratives either. You would naturally object to anyone bringing those up when discussing the sorceror's power, so I can't understand why you do that for the Kineticist.
I don't think anyone is denying that Kineticist is good at dealing damage, just that dealing damage is not all that there is to a class. In comparison sorcerer has buffs like haste, legendary proportions, etc which help in various different ways and act as a good form of utility. It also has very good crowd control (Sirocco, Stinking Cloud, Mass Icy Prison), stat drains like cloudkill, defensive tools like mirror image, seamantle and fiery body and on top of that, it also has ways to deal damage. Sure, it isn't going to instantly kill everything in a single cast unlike kineticist at level 20 (unless you stack the DC of weird sky high, you can then one cast kill many enemies within the game with a DC 43 weird) but it does good enough damage in addition to everything else.

The point being, if you were to compare the kineticist to other classes, it doesn't look as broken as people make it out to be. It is only when you focus on damage to the exclusion of any other party contribution that it looks "broken."

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

I don't think anyone is denying that Kineticist is good at dealing damage, just that dealing damage is not all that there is to a class. In comparison sorcerer has buffs like haste, legendary proportions, etc which help in various different ways and act as a good form of utility. It also has very good crowd control (Sirocco, Stinking Cloud, Mass Icy Prison), stat drains like cloudkill, defensive tools like mirror image, seamantle and fiery body and on top of that, it also has ways to deal damage. Sure, it isn't going to instantly kill everything in a single cast unlike kineticist at level 20 (unless you stack the DC of weird sky high, you can then one cast kill many enemies within the game with a DC 43 weird) but it does good enough damage in addition to everything else.

The point being, if you were to compare the kineticist to other classes, it doesn't look as broken as people make it out to be. It is only when you focus on damage to the exclusion of any other party contribution that it looks "broken."
I never said that Kineticist is broken. But it is a GREAT class at what it does. And what it does is damage, with a small dose of CC. Judging it because it has no utility is like judging a Bard for not dealing damage. Point is, every class has a niche and every well-made party needs a bit of everything. You have to judge each class by what it brings to the table and how well it fills its intended role, not compare classes in a vacuum and say that X is worse than Y because it can't do what Y does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom