Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The point is the ridiculous implementation of weapon specialization is the problem and the fact that there is no reason to do it.

There is no implementation of weapon specialization. That's entirely in your imagination because you're playing some other game and not P:K.

There is a Feat called Weapon Specialization that gives you two whole damage. That's not what this game is about.

Desiderius

Patron
Indeed, what’s rare? You’re guaranteed to get a unique of everything but Throwing weapons.
You're guaranteed to get one somewhere while for other weapon types there are plenty of options. Not to mention that for some of those weapon types, like club or dwarven waraxe, you don't even have one fancy +5 variant with added properties as most other types of weapons do.

Why would it bother you if there was an option to craft such things?

Because there is no reason to specialize in those particular weapons in the first place. They're members of a class that people will use if they fill a need for awhile if they have the proficiency level to use it. For instance if your Harrim has Martial proficiency he gets a very good Waraxe in his questline that he will get good use of for a good long while between that stage and endgame.

There are particular weapons that you build around and those have great uniques to build toward. Most but not all Exotics.

Desiderius

Patron
Because there is no reason to specialize in those particular weapons in the first place.
Player choice, bruv. Even if it's not an optimal build, you shouldn't make it even worse by not even offering enough weapons for it.

Yes, you should. That's how you make Martial Proficiency matter.

Game already has too much choice which is why people curl up in a ball and spam Grease the whole game.

Desiderius

Patron
If you have Martial you use best available. Then when you find something you really like you grab Improved Crit.

If you don't have Martial you make do then burn the Feat once you find a good Exotic if you're planning on attacking much, or you use whatever if you don't.

Works great.

If you get tunnel vision for no reason then you pay the price. Heh - your choice! You said it wasn't optimal - that's exactly how it isn't. Not their job to fix your suboptimal choices.

Vatnik Wumao
If you get tunnel vision for no reason then you pay the price. Heh - your choice! You said it wasn't optimal - that's exactly how it isn't. Not their job to fix your suboptimal choices.
If you don't see how this is an arbitrary malus pertaining to loot distribution added on top of the mechanical one pertaining to feats, there's nothing more to say.

You're basically giving the devs a free pass to design the game as if it were the cRPG equivalent of a campaign led by a shitty DM who doesn't take into account the particularities of the PCs when giving out loot.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Get access to the three upcoming DLCs and save on purchasing them individually:

DLC #1:
New additional campaign. Import your character from the main campaign to the moment of their greatest triumph — their victory over the Worldwound. Answer a plea from a powerful entity and leave Golarion behind to defend the space-time continuum against imminent collapse. Use your unparalleled mythic powers to do battle with truly invincible opponents. This additional campaign offers 7–8 hours of gameplay.

DLC #2:
New additional campaign. The demon attack on Kenabres changed the lives of many. While the mythic hero and their loyal companions were busy liberating the city, the common folk had to find a way to survive, relying only on their humble skills.
Band together with other survivors and try to reach the Defender's Heart tavern, the last foothold of the crusader forces in the city. Choose who will join your group, and make difficult decisions about allocating scarce resources. Remember — in fire-ravaged Kenabres, every scroll and potion could make the difference not only in an individual fight but also to your very survival. Act in the group's best interests or focus solely on your own well-being. Import your choices to the main campaign and look forward to seeing this story develop in other DLC. This additional campaign offers 6–7 hours of gameplay.

DLC #3:
A new rogue-like mode with partial integration into the main campaign. In Alushinyrra's port, climb aboard a cursed ship that will transport you to a mysterious whirlpool lost amidst the Midnight Isles. Dive in and discover a dungeon whose proportions you can only guess at. Go exploring in search of glory, loot, and battles, and come face to face with a secret that will benefit either Nocticula, the mistress of the archipelago, or her enemies. The dungeon's levels, created using random zone generation, are populated with various enemies, devious traps, and secret rooms. You will return victorious to Alushinyrra — or else the cursed ship will return on its own, laden with trophies from the last expedition, to await new adventure-seekers.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd be fine with weapon specialization if there wasn't like 50+ types of weapons. I like the Weapon Focus Plus mod since it condense it to a more manageable 12 (Based on the weapon training).
I mean look at this.

• Axes: Battleaxe, Dwarven Waraxe, Greataxe, Handaxe, Heavy Pick, Light Pick, Tongi
  • Heavy Blades: Bastard Sword, Dueling Sword, Elven Curve Blade, Estoc, Falcata, Falchion, Greatsword, Longsword, Scimitar, Scythe
  • Light Blades: Dagger, Kukri, Rapier, Shortsword, Sickle, Starknife
  • Bows: Longbow, Shortbow (including composite bows)
  • Close: Punching Dagger, Spiked Light Shield, Spiked Heavy Shield, Heavy Shield, Light Shield
  • Crossbows: Hand Crossbow, Heavy Crossbow, Light Crossbow
  • Double: Orc Double Axe, Double-bladed Sword, Gnome Hooked Hammer, Dwarven Urgrosh
  • Flails / Hammers: Club, Earth Breaker, Flail, Greatclub, Heavy Flail, Heavy Mace, Light Hammer, Light Mace, Warhammer
  • Monk: Kama, Nunchaku, Quarterstaff, Sai, Shuriken, Siangham
  • Polearms: Bardiche, Fauchard, Glaive
  • Spears: Longspear, Shortspear, Spear, Trident
  • Thrown: Bomb, Dart, Javelin, Sling, Sling Staff, Throwing Axe
A few of these weapon types aren't in the CRPGs but most are.

Weapon focus is only a +1 bonus to attack at the end of the day. It's not an essential feat.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Get access to the three upcoming DLCs and save on purchasing them individually:

DLC #1:
New additional campaign. Import your character from the main campaign to the moment of their greatest triumph — their victory over the Worldwound. Answer a plea from a powerful entity and leave Golarion behind to defend the space-time continuum against imminent collapse. Use your unparalleled mythic powers to do battle with truly invincible opponents. This additional campaign offers 7–8 hours of gameplay.

DLC #2:
New additional campaign. The demon attack on Kenabres changed the lives of many. While the mythic hero and their loyal companions were busy liberating the city, the common folk had to find a way to survive, relying only on their humble skills.
Band together with other survivors and try to reach the Defender's Heart tavern, the last foothold of the crusader forces in the city. Choose who will join your group, and make difficult decisions about allocating scarce resources. Remember — in fire-ravaged Kenabres, every scroll and potion could make the difference not only in an individual fight but also to your very survival. Act in the group's best interests or focus solely on your own well-being. Import your choices to the main campaign and look forward to seeing this story develop in other DLC. This additional campaign offers 6–7 hours of gameplay.

DLC #3:
A new rogue-like mode with partial integration into the main campaign. In Alushinyrra's port, climb aboard a cursed ship that will transport you to a mysterious whirlpool lost amidst the Midnight Isles. Dive in and discover a dungeon whose proportions you can only guess at. Go exploring in search of glory, loot, and battles, and come face to face with a secret that will benefit either Nocticula, the mistress of the archipelago, or her enemies. The dungeon's levels, created using random zone generation, are populated with various enemies, devious traps, and secret rooms. You will return victorious to Alushinyrra — or else the cursed ship will return on its own, laden with trophies from the last expedition, to await new adventure-seekers.

if they’re going to add a rogue like mode again I sure hope it’s better than their last attempt. That was pure ass. Easily the worst dungeon of the Kickstarter generation

Last edited by a moderator:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
if they’re going to add a rogue like mode again I sure hope it’s better than their last attempt. That was pure ass. Easily the worst dungeon of the Kickstarter generation

Like a properly made mega dungeon that's not randomly generated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thonius

Arcane
I'd be fine with weapon specialization if there wasn't like 50+ types of weapons. I like the Weapon Focus Plus mod since it condense it to a more manageable 12 (Based on the weapon training).
I mean look at this.

• Axes: Battleaxe, Dwarven Waraxe, Greataxe, Handaxe, Heavy Pick, Light Pick, Tongi
  • Heavy Blades: Bastard Sword, Dueling Sword, Elven Curve Blade, Estoc, Falcata, Falchion, Greatsword, Longsword, Scimitar, Scythe
  • Close: Punching Dagger, Spiked Light Shield, Spiked Heavy Shield, Heavy Shield, Light Shield
  • Double: Orc Double Axe, Double-bladed Sword, Gnome Hooked Hammer, Dwarven Urgrosh
  • Flails / Hammers: Club, Earth Breaker, Flail, Greatclub, Heavy Flail, Heavy Mace, Light Hammer, Light Mace, Warhammer

Weapon focus is only a +1 bonus to attack at the end of the day. It's not an essential feat.
Correct me if I'm wrong but it gives access to critical focus and shit like that. Which is nice to have for some builds.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I mean look at this.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it gives access to critical focus and shit like that. Which is nice to have for some builds.

No. Not for any of the common feats.

On the tabletop it's a pre-req for quite a few weapon specific fighting style feats, but that's not really relevant since those are mostly weapon specific anyway.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
annoying, very dumb and a boring choice
This means only one thing: "My cognitive abilities are too weak to grasp this particular something". The same words are being used for any "Soulsborne" game, for any game slightly harder than mainstream, for any difficult combo (like, 1-frame links in fightings) - for anything. And the problem is always with those who spew those words and never with the concept they try to critique.

Why would it bother you if there was an option to craft such things?
There is the option to craft those things. It is called "artisans".

the cRPG equivalent of a campaign led by a shitty DM
FYI: "sadistic DM" has been the Owlcat Games motto from the start. They had to nerf it due to unenlightened like you, though.

Last edited:

Salvo

Arcane
That's not really true, since you can't control what's being crafted and artisans are just a different form of looting.

Desiderius

Patron
That's not really true, since you can't control what's being crafted and artisans are just a different form of looting.

You can in fact pretty much control what is being crafted. Last two times through got all eight MPs. Oppressor always shows up, as does a Fauchard.

As I said though unless you're Sword Saint you don't specialize until the weapon you want shows up. There's literally no reason to.

That's what you idiots can't get through your thick heads. If you want to play Baldur's Gate Owlcat is under no obligation to oblige you.

And yet they did anyway because there was enough of you whiny deluded fucktards that they evidently had to, making Martial Proficiency again nearly meaningless.

volklore

Arcane
Weapon specs and weapon focus have always been conditional feats. Depending on stuff you get, which is why you grab them later in the game when you find a good weapon you like. If you have an idea of a specific weapon to focus on straight away, you deal with the consequences (that's the basic of RPG character building, choice and consequence) or use the better weapon when they come. Your fighter has WF in glaive and you just found a greataxe that's better than that glaive you have + the feat, use the greataxe until you find a better glaive. The bonus from it is that when you find the glaive the upgrade will be even more significant. You don't have to metagame to make a good build or to pick weaponspecs unless you are trying to power game.

Thonius

Arcane
I mean look at this.

On the tabletop it's a pre-req for quite a few weapon specific fighting style feats, but that's not really relevant since those are mostly weapon specific anyway.
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/
99% of them don't need focus and 99% of them are not present in crpg so uh you right.

Salvo

Arcane

You can in fact pretty much control what is being crafted. Last two times through got all eight MPs. Oppressor always shows up, as does a Fauchard.

As I said though unless you're Sword Saint you don't specialize until the weapon you want shows up. There's literally no reason to.

That's what you idiots can't get through your thick heads. If you want to play Baldur's Gate Owlcat is under no obligation to oblige you.

And yet they did anyway because there was enough of you whiny deluded fucktards that they evidently had to, making Martial Proficiency again nearly meaningless.
Get your blood pressure checked

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
I mean look at this.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/
99% of them don't need focus and 99% of them are not present in crpg so uh you right.

Huh, I just noticed this feat on the list:
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/anatomical-savant-combat

Reduces fortification step by one and allows you to crit the crit immune as though they had fortification III.

I never knew that existed. Might grab that next time I play a crit fisher in a campaign with lots of crit immune monsters.

Desiderius

Patron

Get your blood pressure checked

Stop saying stupid shit because you’re too lazy to figure out how games work and too bull-headed to listen to those willing to figure them out for you so you’ll quit fucking things up for everybody.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom