Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Anyone knows if any animal except Horses become bigger when under Animal Growth spell? I fucked up by making my druid dwarf assuming he is small hoping I can do Enlarge Person and become normal and still mount a large size Smilodon. Eh. I can respec to take Smilodon, Elephant, or two types of Dinosaurs but I don't know if Animal Growth works any better with them. I would now prefer to stay dwarf as getting +2 to wis and con is good for this character.
I think TableTop Tweaks fixes this and all animals grow with Animal Growth there (haven't tested it myself).

Yosharian

Arcane
Is it a general rule that every class has an archetype that's better than the main class? Is there a class that's better to take without an archetape, from a mechanics point of view?
Barbarian
IW or Mad Dog are both straight up better than standard Barb. IR can be pretty good as a base for a DR build. There's pretty much no reason to go standard Barbarian.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Is it a general rule that every class has an archetype that's better than the main class? Is there a class that's better to take without an archetape, from a mechanics point of view?
Barbarian
IW or Mad Dog are both straight up better than standard Barb. IR can be pretty good as a base for a DR build. There's pretty much no reason to go standard Barbarian.

dude the guy has one meme, it's not that hard to keep track of

ArchAngel

Arcane
Paladin - most of the archetypes lose Mark of Justice and that's his best ability, Skald - this one is more questionable, but if you want your Skald primarily for singing Rage songs then vanilla is the best.
Most of the Slayer archetypes are lackluster and I went for default one often enough in rogue-like (Deliverer is dangerously close to being strictly better vanilla, but pays for it with feats and alignment restrictions).
Oracle. I looked at all archtypes and none came out as good. Maybe if you want specific mystery and one of the archetypes is built around it.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Barbarian

dude the guy has one meme, it's not that hard to keep track of
I have at least 4.
3 if you insist on generalizing

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Paladin - most of the archetypes lose Mark of Justice and that's his best ability, Skald - this one is more questionable, but if you want your Skald primarily for singing Rage songs then vanilla is the best.
Most of the Slayer archetypes are lackluster and I went for default one often enough in rogue-like (Deliverer is dangerously close to being strictly better vanilla, but pays for it with feats and alignment restrictions).
Oracle. I looked at all archtypes and none came out as good. Maybe if you want specific mystery and one of the archetypes is built around it.

Oracle has weird archetypes man. They all lose Revelations, which are awesome, and gain dubious things in return

Yosharian

Arcane
But if you have a set number of revelations you are interested in and that number is low, then archetypes which lose revelations are actually not bad

There are several Oracle archetypes that are extremely good.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Some more fun in Blackwater.
On Unfair those cyber-enhanced mobs have really high CMD, so the Mobility checks are not easy to make. Still its a fun and effective playstyle.

Yosharian

Arcane
Divine Herbalist loses just two revelations in order to gain a bunch of really cool abilities which make it a very powerful healer/negative status remover.

Enlightened Philosopher is the best dip Oracle since you gain a feat for nothing, and that feat can be used to gain access to PrCs too (as well as just getting generally useful).

Seeker makes a tremendous trapsmith if you need to fill that role.

Yosharian

Arcane
Alchemist is another class where there is basically never a reason not to pick an archetype.

Bloodrager - almost no reason not to pick Primalist.

Cavalier - Gendarme is just better.

Magus - a lot of good archetype choices make base Magus pretty obsolete.

Ranger - just go Demonslayer.

Rogue - Thug or Knifemaster make base Rogue pointless.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Divine Herbalist loses just two revelations in order to gain a bunch of really cool abilities which make it a very powerful healer/negative status remover.

Enlightened Philosopher is the best dip Oracle since you gain a feat for nothing, and that feat can be used to gain access to PrCs too (as well as just getting generally useful).

#1 Oracle is already a good healer and statuses are rarely applied to party and can easy be removed with too many spells that oracles get
#2 Dips don't count
#3 What is a trapsmith? Trapfinder? You can do that with just background that gives you proficiency in skill and putting one point in at each level up and getting items that boost skills.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
For me - Seeker is better than vanilla in most cases. Extra 3 spellcasting feats are always welcome, and most of the Mysteries do not provide enough good revelations to fill all his slots with something truly good.
Even classic Combat + Nature melee Oracle-Angel is still better as Seeker for me to get Metamagic for Angel spells.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane

#1 Oracle is already a good healer and statuses are rarely applied to party and can easy be removed with too many spells that oracles get
#2 Dips don't count
#3 What is a trapsmith? Trapfinder? You can do that with just background that gives you proficiency in skill and putting one point in at each level up and getting items that boost skills.
So? It's a better healer. And no, you can never have too much status removal. Exhaustion in particular.

Of course dips count.

No.

Yosharian

Arcane
Arcanist is another one, BFT is basically a better Arcanist, and there's other options if you want to lean in to offensive spellcasting

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Or Freebooter, if you're so inclined. Granter, Demonslayer will be individually much stronger in Wrath.

Rogue - Thug or Knifemaster make base Rogue pointless.

...or Rowdy now. Or Sylvan Trickster for that matter (multiclassed Wennduag into one - everyone in my party needs a support role - except the MC, of course :) ). Or heck, even Eldritch Scoundrel is decent (and way more interesting then vanilla rogue).

Yosharian

Arcane
At level 12 Seeker is getting a free +6 to Trickery, that is great and they also get it as a class skill which is nice for companions since usually you don't want to change their background

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Or Freebooter, if you're so inclined. Granter, Demonslayer will be individually much stronger in Wrath.

I have no Ranger this time since I went with a Sohei archer, but Ranger is a pretty fun class in Pathfinder, and presumably a double Ranger party wouldn't be bad. Then you could have your Demonslayer and eat your Freebooter cake too

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Nenio's introduction must be one of the most grossly annoying pieces of shit I've ever had to sit through in an RPG.

Meeting Seelah was supposed to boost your immunity to that.

Seelah introduction is pretty vanilla I though. In fact the only thing I really remember from that encounter is the video gameyness of my character's complete douche choices (the Evil choices in that dialogue are really bad, like High School Bully bad) being brushed off by Anevia and Seelah as perfectly reasonable. Like, when they say "Hi, I'm Anevia, what's your name?" you can straight up tell them "FUCK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!" *guitar riffs* and Anevia will go something like "right, totally my fault for being such a cunt and asking such insane prying questions" :lol:

Stokowski

Arcane
I keep looking for an index finger and pinky metal salute gif for rating your RATM references but there doesn't seem to be one.

:cry:

Stoned Ape

Savant
Seeker is very good (as strong as a base oracle and better for some builds). You can normally still create an optimal Oracle with 4 revelations as most mysteries only have 2-3 that are really useful. The 3 extra magic feats are incredibly handy for such a feat deprived class though, and getting Trickery as a class skill (with 1/2 level added) allows you to skip taking a rogue if you don't want to take one in the party.

scytheavatar

Scholar
For me - Seeker is better than vanilla in most cases. Extra 3 spellcasting feats are always welcome, and most of the Mysteries do not provide enough good revelations to fill all his slots with something truly good.
Even classic Combat + Nature melee Oracle-Angel is still better as Seeker for me to get Metamagic for Angel spells.

Problem is that if you take Seeker you will need to delay lower priority but still extremely useful Revelations like Friends to Animal or War Sight till much later in the game. It's not worth it as you can always use rods for metamagic anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom