Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That pet would have really shit AC. Well no, that's too much, but using heavy barding really harms pet AC, especially if you're using Mythical Beast.

And most of that damage is just smite shenanigans which you could do on anything really
Its not really most, and "anything really" doesn't get 15 attacks per round.

Yosharian

Arcane
That pet would have really shit AC. Well no, that's too much, but using heavy barding really harms pet AC, especially if you're using Mythical Beast.

And most of that damage is just smite shenanigans which you could do on anything really
Wait 15? How does it get 15?

Yosharian

Arcane
that and an alzheimer's check-up, since this is the second time you've made turbodweeb remarks about my age despite knowing i'm an oldfag. mobile phones weren't a thing when i started gaming, smartphones sure as shit not lol
You're a victim of duck typing. And for you it works as well as in Python.

I casted protection from fire every turn
You know that you can (and probably should) stack both Protection from Fire and Resist Fire, right?

You have a fitting name, if you read the post you can see I already had resist fire.
Resist Energy and Protection From Energy don't stack, do they? I'm pretty sure that PFE takes priority over RE

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

I think it gets 11 or maybe 12 normally, then +2 from Transformation, and then 1 or 2 from Hammer of Masterpiece.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
that and an alzheimer's check-up, since this is the second time you've made turbodweeb remarks about my age despite knowing i'm an oldfag. mobile phones weren't a thing when i started gaming, smartphones sure as shit not lol

You know that you can (and probably should) stack both Protection from Fire and Resist Fire, right?

You have a fitting name, if you read the post you can see I already had resist fire.
Resist Energy and Protection From Energy don't stack, do they? I'm pretty sure that PFE takes priority over RE
They do different things. C’mon man, you’re better than this.

Resist just shaves off 30 damage. Prot eats a set amount then goes away. Usually the amount it eats is enough, but not if you’ve got 600 incoming.

This is why I say that sometimes Ascendant Element isn’t worth a Mythic. Resist/Prot can be overpowered. Immunity can’t.

Yosharian

Arcane
22 base DEX pet + 8 Enhancement + 4 Food + 6 Mythical Beast = 40 DEX = +15 modifier, Heavy Barding reduces that to 1, so that's a loss of 14 AC, offers +6 AC over +8 Bracers so that's a loss of 8 AC overall.

That's a massive chunk of AC to lose and it cost you 3 feats

I think it gets 11 or maybe 12 normally, then +2 from Transformation, and then 1 or 2 from Hammer of Masterpiece.
How the fuck does it get 11/12 attacks normally? I thought they fixed that

Desiderius

Patron
22 base DEX pet + 8 Enhancement + 4 Food + 6 Mythical Beast = 40 DEX = +15 modifier, Heavy Barding reduces that to 1, so that's a loss of 14 AC, offers +6 AC over +8 Bracers so that's a loss of 8 AC overall.

That's a massive chunk of AC to lose and it cost you 3 feats

How the fuck does it get 11/12 attacks normally? I thought they fixed that
Is that Barding only +6? The Labyrinth one is +12. Usually pets already have a ton of AC so can afford to wear Barding if effects are good enough.

Worth it on Bulwark Horse but maybe not on Raptor. I’ve got Medium on Daredevil (can’t be flanked) Smilo which is meh so far.

Desiderius

Patron
I'm just saying this is a lot of shenanigans just to give a shitty crit range weapon 124 damage at endgame
124 x 15 lol

80 or whatever would still be (more than) enough as long as it hits.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I don't often agree with Desiderius' cringeworthy chidings, but in this case, he's kind of correct dude. You've played the game on hard mode not understanding that they're layered defenses. One gives you total immunity until you take the stated amount of damage (in effect it's a damage shield), the other passively resists a certain threshold for the duration regardless of total damage amount (so starts working after the damage shield is cleared) :)

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Grunker FreeKaner maybe I wasn't clear, but now hopefully you will understand what I am trying to say.

resistprotectionstack.jpg

RE does not stack with PFE. Only one takes effect. PFE takes priority over RE. As I said.

I don't know what you think I 'didn't understand'. I understand how it works.

Maybe you thought I was implying that one shouldn't cast both spells - I wasn't implying that, I was simply stating that they do not stack. Obviously you should cast both, in situations where you are at risk of taking high amounts of energy damage.

Desiderius

Patron
Grunker FreeKaner maybe I wasn't clear, but now hopefully you will understand what I am trying to say.

resistprotectionstack.jpg

RE does not stack with PFE. Only one takes effect. PFE takes priority over RE. As I said.

I don't know what you think I 'didn't understand'. I understand how it works.

Maybe you thought I was implying that one shouldn't cast both spells - I wasn't implying that, I was simply stating that they do not stack. Obviously you should cast both, in situations where you are at risk of taking high amounts of energy damage.
That's helpful but irrelevant to the case at hand where the problem is damage far beyond even 120.

You can find yourself in a similar situation in the Khor fight with Electricity, tho I think that's been nerfed somewhat? There Evasion + high Reflex can also work.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Melazmera fight was quite fun, required a different approach. It could only be dispelled on a 20 roll and has heroism, greater so I couldn't kill it with weird. The fact that it deals -12 str breath attack meant it was dangerous to my whole party with sub 20 str even buffed. So I did MMO tactic of facing it away with the pet with lots of strength, then used overwhelming grief to strip it off its AC and ability to breath after first two ones. I like it.

Yosharian

Arcane
Well blow me, I guess they didn't fix this motherfucker.

testraptor.jpg

(has two claws, one not shown)

So he has 6 talon attacks, 1 bite and 2 claw attacks. If you cast Transformation on him, that yields 11 APR. That is truly ridiculous.

I could have sworn I saw something in the patch notes that was meant to be nerfing this.

Desiderius

Patron
Melazmera fight was quite fun, required a different approach. It could only be dispelled on a 20 roll and has heroism, greater so I couldn't kill it with weird. The fact that it deals -12 str breath attack meant it was dangerous to my whole party with sub 20 str even buffed. So I did MMO tactic of facing it away with the pet with lots of strength, then used overwhelming grief to strip it off its AC and ability to breath after first two ones. I like it.
Ice Body can prevent ability drain. There are Goggles in Drezen that can give you a 20 Dispel roll but they've been clunky for me. Grief is an underrated spell. Nice on Shadow Enchantment to up the DC for Illusionists but not sure that's in vanilla.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

testraptor.jpg

So he has 6 talon attacks, 1 bite and 2 claw attacks. If you cast Transformation on him, that yields 11 APR. That is truly ridiculous.

I could have sworn I saw something in the patch notes that was meant to be nerfing this.
Don't forget Haste.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Ice Body can prevent ability drain. There are Goggles in Drezen that can give you a 20 Dispel roll but they've been clunky for me. Grief is an underrated spell. Nice on Shadow Enchantment to up the DC for Illusionists but not sure that's in vanilla.
It's best to activate goggles before combat. Once activated, you'll keep the buff until you cast dispel.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

testraptor.jpg

They hate fun.

Raptor that high level should be kickass. That's why it's specially permitted only when player provides sane excuse how he got him.

Yosharian

Arcane
Legendary Proportions could reliably make the Raptor Large. However, I'm not certain if there are enough dino bones to even keep one unit buffed the whole game.

The alternative is never buff Reg with a size increasing spell but bleh, -4 STR early game and then -10 STR once FA is unlocked, that's a hefty price to pay

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Yosharian

Arcane
Sure, sure. Ok, that's a good pet for damage.
Yes, also for Leading Strikes triggering.
Hmm, what is the interaction for TB though?
When both rider and mount attack, raptor attacks 1st and then you mix attacks from rider and mount. This mostly works when stationary, or better yet - when Pounce charging (also enables the armor bonus).
Hmm, ok. That's.. pretty dope. What about the dino bones, though. You can buy some now, apparently? But is it enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom