Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I'll sleep on animal focus because +2/4/6 strength to just a pet is obviously worse than +2/4/6/8/10 AB and Damage to you and your pet (on a class with naturally better BAB, to boot).
It's always on for pet at lvl one. I've mostly played Leopard where the DEX one is really nice. I focus more on AC and Saves and let the damage take care of itself. Once Enhancement bonuses are widely available you can switch to the Skill boosting ones.

So in summary, the actual advantage Hunter has over Demonslayer is Faerie fire.
Never played Demonslayer. Other Rangers are better. Hasn't base game fixed Favored Enemy Outsider yet?

Favored Enema is great, no argument. Hunter has Swift Instant where needed.

Played a ton of Hunter in CotW where the class is correctly implemented (ranged TW and Precise Companion) and added unique capabilties. Wrath implementation makes me sad but still has its advantages. Spell utility early where its most needed and offense is fine by midgame.

I see I'm incorrect because I failed to take into account feats that don't actually exist in the game. Makes sense.
Again my TTT bias enters in here, but base game has:

Outflank, Shake it Off, Tandem Trip, Back to Back, and Seize the Moment (doesn't require Flanking vs foes with Improved Uncanny)

Back to Back has an item that boosts it to +4.

Shield Wall is solid but obv not with a Pet. Allied Spellcaster probably worth it with a Magus in team (version I'm playing also boosts Concentration, not sure if it's in base game).

Are there six good ones? Probably not, but most of the game is played before you have six. I'll admit to favoring Hunter classes that trade them away lol.

Desiderius

Patron
Saves, what are they good for?

Save vs Minagho Drezen.jpg

Minagho/Staunton fight on Hard. Note that Ember failed the save, but she's an Elf so Immune to Sleep!

Hard Blightmaw:

Mantis10 vs Hard Blightmaw.jpg

Daeran is lvl 10 Mantis Zealot, Lann Kinetic Sharpshooter.

Lann has (TTT) Mythic Shatter Defenses (applies to whole team). Inciter Aru got him Intimidated with help from scaling Intimidate bonus from Serpent's Tongue ability. I think that even though Lann failed to penetrate the SR that the hit (vs Touch) still counted and Shattered Defenses. Corruptor Mythic + Spit Venom applying no save Blind vs Touch can do the same thing. Spit Venom ignores SR. Can be Extended for two round Blind.

And yes, Hunter gets Spit Venom while Ranger doesn't. Also has Death Ward and the higher lvl Nature's Ally Summons (the good ones) even if you don't want to mess with beating Saves. Eventually gets the Mass Stat boosts to free up slots for casters.

Last edited:

Diggfinger

Arcane
Gents,
Path of the Righteous Mythic Edition -70% right now on GOG (26 Euro-bucks)
Yay or nay...?

Includes all (or at least 3?) DLCs...

Kindda into simpler/shorter games atm but this looks sweeet.
Find it more appealing than the Divinity games

Desiderius

Patron
Echolocation appears to not be giving (Nabasu) gaze immunity. Is this WAI? Would have liked to have it for Lost Chapel Concealment.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Gents,
Path of the Righteous Mythic Edition -70% right now on GOG (26 Euro-bucks)
Yay or nay...?

Includes all (or at least 3?) DLCs...

Kindda into simpler/shorter games atm but this looks sweeet.
Find it more appealing than the Divinity games
Absolute unconditional YAY!! Probably THE best party based cRPG of this decade. Basically Owlcat is what old Obsidian used to be. The creators of rough, unpolished timeless classics.

Desiderius

Patron
They’re trolling the raid gearers.

No the early mid stuff is much more interesting. Goggles that give immunity to flanking (where you get got in melee if you do), Mask that gives +2 Enchantment DC (huge to make non-MC control viable), Belt with +2 nat AC (stacks with Barkskin) and +4 Mobility. I’m always a little short because I keep best available weapon/Armor of each type even if not using in case of respec/or a change in team line-up.

And of course several Sawtooth Sabers and other weapon buildarounds. Money is an issue if you skip the ship so some nice tradeoffs.

are any of em same tier shit like this

vORaehO.png

about the most retarded item I have ever seen in any game
You know an item is busted when the devs have to break down the list of bonuses into a bullet point format.

The most gamechanging item I can recall from the DLC is the one that lets you hit swarms normally. You can get two of them before the Vescavor area in chapter 2 which pretty well trivializes what is probably the biggest roadblock for most players.

Desiderius

Patron
are any of em same tier shit like this

vORaehO.png

about the most retarded item I have ever seen in any game
You know an item is busted when the devs have to break down the list of bonuses into a bullet point format.

The most gamechanging item I can recall from the DLC is the one that lets you hit swarms normally. You can get two of them before the Vescavor area in chapter 2 which pretty well trivializes what is probably the biggest roadblock for most players.
The second one is locked behind the vescavors in Ulbrig's area IIRC.

There have always been ways to deal with Swarms but they come up so infrequently I always forget what they are. Helps to discover that Prot Arrows prevents damage. Not sure if Stoneskin does. If you've got ways to damage them they could always be healed through.

Desiderius

Patron
Made Greybor a Tandem Executioner Hunter Riding a Boar and it is *awesome*. The Working in Tandem ability only triggers sometimes on the Boar, not sure why, but it shares Studied Target bonuses.

BTW, Animal Focus is now an *inherent* Bonus, so it stacks with Enhancement and ticks up to +4 at lvl 8. The skill ones go up +4/+6, and it can give Evasion/Improved Evasion or boost Speed if you want.

Game is really fun in the midlevels on Hard.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, I must say, I have run a shit ton of characters through chapter 1 and 2 solo on Hard (some on Unfair), and Hunter with his dog was one of the strongest - only thing close in performance was nature Oracle for later Angel merge.
Recently, I have played variants of Tandem Executioner and Urban Hunter (full runs in rogue-like mode, Azata) with hippogriff pet (1 lvl Ranger dip) and both were absolutely amazing - with 2-handed Estocs, to take advantage of Light Armour Mythic Focus.

Desiderius

Patron
Here's an idea of what I'm doing on Hard. For Unfair I'd use a Tank with Defensive maluses to attack (Tower/Fighting Defensively)/Mythics to draw (most) aggro but after than general approach is similar.

Hippogriff 9 AC Hard.jpg

Sable Company Hippogriff is the first to hit 50AC. Mantis Zealot took Extended Blessing Mythic (TTT) to double duration of Blessing Against Chaos to two rounds. Swift AoE. Ember makes a good (Reanimator) Alchemist passing around the Shield Bonuses.

Inciter 10 AC Hard.jpg

Inciter Insult draws a decent amount of attention. Archon's landed due to having three up, Insult was probably 50/50 here. Displacement on top of Mirror Image since she doesn't have any defensive abilities. Focusing on spellcasting with mixed results. Touch of Gracelessness sometimes doesn't do anything for whatever reason. Her Enchantment DCs are up to mid/high 20s. She does decent damage on attacks but Spells seem better Standard Action than single attacks and she has Mythic Dazzling that hits pretty well with Move Action and Move Action Incite Rage etc.

Mantis 10 tanking Jarnikka.jpg

Mantis Zealot also has no Defensive Feats to focus on killing things to trigger Deadly Fascination. Can see the inherent 30% Concealment from Fading ability helping out here. He got hit a couple times on previous fight but forgot to heal up rushing into this one before Red Shroud expired. Duration is solely dependent on DEX-bonus, not lvls.

Mantis 10 Deadly Fascination.jpg

This is about the highest Will Save so far outside of bosses. Mobs usually pick up some maluses before it triggers so pretty reliable effect even on Hard. Should be decent passive CC even on Unfair for a party without dedicated caster.

Sable 10 making Mobility check.jpg

Indomitable Mount really a big quality of life improver to avoid random effects flying the Battlefield. I think this is the Slow Breath from the Drakes. Doesn't have skill focus Mobility yet.

Tandom Boar 9 Hard.jpg

Tandem Executioner Greyboar's Mount going off. Can see Working in Tandem stacking with Bracers of Rough Landing and sharing Studied Target bonus. Pack Flanking (TTT) only available to Hunter (or via Tactician), otherwise have to actually be flanking (on opposite side of an ally) in TTT. TTT also doesn't give full attack to rider after Mount move/Charge unless you get Trick Riding (two uses of Mobility checks to avoid a hit) and then Mounted Skirmisher Feats. The Druchite Urgrosh for some reason isn't a Double Weapon so will need to use Finnean until finding one.

Reanimator 10 AC Hard.jpg

Nice thing about AoE AC bonuses is that you can be a little freer with the squishies without getting punished too hard. Viglance is alternative Elf background trading in Elven Magic and Keen Senses I think for +2 AC vs Demons.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Update:

TTT straight-up nerfed Deadly Fascination on Mantis Zealot lol

Also the Fused spell DCs were not calculating correctly, now fixed. Makes sense since otherwise School FEats would do nothing on Fused Spells. Interesting! Will test in caster run to follow.

Mauman

Scholar
Update:

Also the Fused spell DCs were not calculating correctly, now fixed. Makes sense since otherwise School FEats would do nothing on Fused Spells. Interesting! Will test in caster run to follow.
Speaking of TTT and Mantis Zealot, do they remove the finesse affix for the sabers? Because that was very much an Owlcat thing.

Desiderius

Patron
Update:

Speaking of TTT and Mantis Zealot, do they remove the finesse affix for the sabers? Because that was very much an Owlcat thing.
Interesting. Warpriest spells and growing damage dice work better with STR-based, although it doesn't get Frightful Aspect. Guess you could go for STR and DEX. Abilities use DEX.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
So Gryphon is the new best pet? I thought the new dog bonus was pretty good.

Also base skald should be Inciter from now on? I need to reinstall updated toybox and do a little bit of testing I feel as if I've made a few mistakes relying on my past game knowledge.

Desiderius

Patron
They make the uber items to troll this kind of thinking. Same with the Ulbrig Crusade troops.

Inciter isn't quite strictly better like that but it's close. Vek just nerfed the shit out of one of Mantis Zealot's main abilities lol.

The one weird tricks aren't very weird anymore, Tier-rankers get participation trophies. More fun to mix and match. Boar slays and Ferocity prevents unforeseen dismounts, Lizard can Grapple, they all do fun stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom