Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadenuat

Arcane
That just makes game easier, similar to BG2, where even SCS would always use rogues to target Jan Jansen, even if he's under stoneskin+mirror+protweapons, so you just wait for rogue to pop near him and kill him.
Same you can take Last Stand on Ember to get 2 free rounds of combat/day, although it's a degenerate tactic, just win ini/cc/rush them first or whatever.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Same you can take Last Stand on Ember to get 2 free rounds of combat/day, although it's a degenerate tactic, just win ini/cc/rush them first or whatever.
But damn I've loved that one run where gargoyles were spamming Smite Good on my future Trickster + Camelia + Lann + Regill + Daeran + Nenio party.

Good luck finding some goodness here, you, losers.

Yeah, bugs never stop to ruin my mood.

My Pala should've gotten 1 lvl spells on level 4 (technically 0 normal slots + 1 spell slot from big CHA) but she only got an empty spellbook with Dismiss cantrip. Which promptly disappeared on reaload with my spells tab showing "Can't cast spells" message.

Проклятые бракоделы, мать их.

PS Sorry, don't have a words in English to describe my feelings.

Try respecing your character when you get to level 4. No idea what they broke, but that should fix it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
But damn I've loved that one run where gargoyles were spamming Smite Good on my future Trickster + Camelia + Lann + Regill + Daeran + Nenio party.
Yeah I'd say gameplay in ch1-2 can have curious cases of being tuned against Good-aligned MC/party.
I never realised how problematic gargs can be because I never had Good tanks or even Good aligned MCs.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I fought Playful Darkness over the weekend.
I will admit I cheated because I cba to load previous save, change all my spells, rest and try again. So what I did is I abused my buggy Quicken spell rod that seem to have unlimited charges to double Negative damage Playfull darkness until he was down as that seemed to be only way to damage him with party I had at the time. I lost all 3 of my melee people in the fight and once he was down and I could not go around his Regeneration as it said Negative damage removes it but it didn't so I had to Coup de grace him with my 4 archers/mages/skeletal archers for about 10-15 rounds until he finally rolled 1 on his Fort save.
How did you guys beat him?

Spamming pillars of life, cave traps and fireballs on him, while blocked on stacked blade barriers by summons and selah with last stand.
He just died no regen in my case, I guess pillars of life blocks it.
I tried using Blade Barrier in one fight, its targeting is completely busted as it shows like it is some huge AoE spell and when I cast it, nothing showed up but some random enemy on the side got damaged by it..

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I will admit I cheated because I cba to load previous save, change all my spells, rest and try again. So what I did is I abused my buggy Quicken spell rod that seem to have unlimited charges to double Negative damage Playfull darkness until he was down as that seemed to be only way to damage him with party I had at the time. I lost all 3 of my melee people in the fight and once he was down and I could not go around his Regeneration as it said Negative damage removes it but it didn't so I had to Coup de grace him with my 4 archers/mages/skeletal archers for about 10-15 rounds until he finally rolled 1 on his Fort save.

Spamming pillars of life, cave traps and fireballs on him, while blocked on stacked blade barriers by summons and selah with last stand.
I tried using Blade Barrier in one fight, its targeting is completely busted as it shows like it is some huge AoE spell and when I cast it, nothing showed up but some random enemy on the side got damaged by it..

Yeah well its super meta gamey. I casted the barriers at the corridor entrance before triggering playful darkness+deathsnatcher+shadows so he had to move into it to reach seelah.

purupuru

Learned

I suspect it's a bug in the new patch. Several patches ago Blade Barrier would show bright "blades" protruding from ground. But yesterday I triggered a blade barrier trap and it's completely invisible.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Word of warning, don't destroy
Zacharius' wand when you find it in the smuggler's camp.
Doing so completely removes that little basement from Lost Chapel, as in the entry staircase gets bricked over. No boss or loot for you.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
Yeah I'd say gameplay in ch1-2 can have curious cases of being tuned against Good-aligned MC/party.
I never realised how problematic gargs can be because I never had Good tanks or even Good aligned MCs.

Yes, and this makes all high-end DR/Evil abilities like Paladins lvl 20 Holy Champion pretty sad. Kinda ridiculous, it is much more useful in Kingmaker's endgame (Fey) that has nothing to do with paladins lore-wise, but in Wrath, where palas are getting their chance to smite at last, half of the enemies from Chapter 1 already have Evil-aligned attacks and ignore it.

volklore

Arcane
I think you need to buff up the AB of your tank. I tested that in KM back when but It seems it's similar in wrath that an enemy is more likely to move on from a target if it has high AC and low AB.

I... do not think I've ever built frontliner who is lacking in AB department. Especially with my obsession with Outflank.

I've witnessed this just now, with prologue boss, Hostilla - first round she've tried to hit my horse, but switched to Seelah the same second she entered the melee range. And completely lost interest in my Gendarme-Pala with the Glaive who was smiting her face with like +20AB.
I have noticed enemies moving away from tanks yeah. But it seems to take them more or less time depending on how high AB they have. The main moment I noticed it was in the gargoyle cave prenerf where gargoyles would just run through 1000 attacks of opportunities just to get to my backline. But I haven't seen it much since.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
There are a few occasions in midnight fane and the ivory sanctum as well. Also in the abyss babau infilitrators just teleports to your backline.

Jackpot

Learned
I've noticed that certain AI focus a character depending on who hit them first.
I've cast a spell on an enemy to engage them as Nenio and had the enemy completely lock on to her, to the point where I just had her run in circles while the rest of my party killed it.
The same enemy attacked normally when I didn't cast a spell on them to start the fight.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Reactivity exists:
2bf33a8892.jpg

Mauman

Learned
is OK. But infantry damage really does not matter much when you can spam scorching ray and fireballs. You just need you troops to not die.
For non-mage generals I like to use Hedge Knights. Hard hitting, tough and has good mobility.

Despite their lower than conscript hp, they have really high AC, so they don't die THAT easily. Spearmen are weird in that their life total and damage potential (via number of weekly available recruits) is lower than conscripts, but their AC and attack is so much higher they somehow come out ahead on both survival AND damage.

Furthermore, energy can be at a premium for longer campaigns (i.e. longer periods of time that you're taking your mage general around to kill stuff).

At the end of the day, your mage general can only cast once per round. So the best deal is killing a bunch with your general AND killing a bunch with your troops.

Already posted video beating him. Domain of the hungry flesh

Hell, I didn't even need anything fancy like that. True striked vital strikes and rays were all I needed. Took him down in 3 (I think) turns.

Only thing "cheaty" that I use is completely respecced companions, which is more or less something that anybody can do just with mercenaries.

I did not shoot, and have replayed act 1 with a character that did shoot, and I have noticed 0 differences.

The only difference is that
demon mommy
is disappointed in you and you have to make up for with other choices to get
the secret ending (there's like 7 choices throughout the game and you have to get 5 right)

Absolutely no other differences.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Oh wow, so it turns out that everyone who was crying about Playful Darkness being impossible to hit was just a little bitch. Who would have thought?

playf.png

The encounter is absurdly overtuned, but so are your characters by that point. If you throw all your resources at him, you can easily reach the threshold where the only way to miss him is a natural 1. By that point, you have to try really hard not to be capable of stacking a total of +63 to hit (between actual to-hit bonuses and AC penalties).

Such a brutal fight is still unwarranted, though. It should be announced in a clearer way. Not "pop-up that tells you to prepare for the next fight" levels of clearness, but something close to that. In its current state, I don't see how you could ever survive without having failed the encounter at least once. But, again, I can't even see how you could find him impossible to hit after having failed it at least once.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Oh wow, so it turns out that everyone who was crying about Playful Darkness being impossible to hit was just a little bitch. Who would have thought?

playf.png

The encounter is absurdly overtuned, but so are your characters by that point. If you throw all your resources at him, you can easily reach the threshold where the only way to miss him is a natural 1. By that point, you have to try really hard not to be capable of stacking a total of +63 to hit (between actual to-hit bonuses and AC penalties).

Such a brutal fight is still unwarranted, though. It should be announced in a clearer way. Not "pop-up that tells you to prepare for the next fight" levels of clearness, but something close to that. In its current state, I don't see how you could ever survive without having failed the encounter at least once. But, again, I can't even see how you could find him impossible to hit after having failed it at least once.
The fight is poorly telegraphed, I agree. But as you said, it is also very possible to beat it. Out of the optional boss fights, I feel like the
Pathetic Quasit
is the best telegraphed. If you mess with it, it really is your own fault :D

I wanted to complete an Angel run with my Paladin of Iomidae, but when the big boss tells me to give away my powers I had to reconsider. Asked my companions for their opinions just in case. Ember: "You can win without magic tricks. I will help you!" She better vaporize the end boss with her pacifism death rays. My Legend is an absolute murderhobo now at the very least.

Unsure of what to pick next, Aeon or Trickster. Which one has the most unique story content?

Sharpedge

Prophet
If you mess with it, it really is your own fault
I didn't manage to find that fucker :argh:

Anyway, who the hell sells dino bones in ch.5? I swear to God I saw some 100 pieces on someone but I was drunk, somehow decided it was smart to buy when I was sober and forgot where I saw them. :|
I haven't found any vendors that sell dino bones in ch.5. If you want to know where that boss is,
it is on the roof of the building directly to the north of the harem of ardent dreams in act 4. You can only reach it with dimension door.

purupuru

Learned
I thought Playful Darkness was well telegraphed. You find dead demon bodies along the way (you didn't kill them, so something else must did), and then the trail of bodies leads to a alcove where the ground is completely covered with skeletons and there is some loot at the center. I saw that and thought "Yeah something nasty is gonna pop out the moment I go near that place."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom