Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
All I did was point out few RPGs have time limits and out come the arm-flapping autists screeching about decline. Which is odd because it's hardly a feature anyone seemed to care about before.

That's not exactly what you said. It's a watered down version of what you were saying. You're back peddling

My one and only complaint about Kingmaker was that it's too far off from the PnP game it's based on, a topic I was shouted at for even bringing up. Now your side is justifying your arguments by pointing to tabletop. Hypocrisy much?
Did you even play the PNP? Because you didn't even know there was time limits in it. Or do you just mean the turn based part? Because that's not what you've been yelling about this whole time

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Dude, your nose is so far up my ass you can tell what I had for breakfast.

All I did was point out few RPGs have time limits and out come the arm-flapping autists screeching about decline. Which is odd because it's hardly a feature anyone seemed to care about before.

My one and only complaint about Kingmaker was that it's too far off from the PnP game it's based on, a topic I was shouted at for even bringing up. Now your side is justifying your arguments by pointing to tabletop. Hypocrisy much?

Well Owlcat is or isn't getting rid of it, I guess we don't know anymore. Fair enough, sorry, I'll stop making that point.
I already knew what you had for breakfast:
event-poster-9419966.jpg
You framed getting rid of time limits as necessary to make the game easier and get a wider audience, that's the definition of decline.
I don't give a shit about what "my side" of the argument said to you, don't put their words in my mouth (or fingers as it were).
I never mentioned PnP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Did you even play the PNP? Because you didn't even know there was time limits in it. Or do you just mean the turn based part? Because that's not what you've been yelling about this whole time

It doesn't have time limits. Owlcat "interpreted" the instructions to the DM to nudge the game along as hard time limits. That's like suggesting a game last no more than an hour, and interpreting that as killing any player left after an hour has passed.

Speed of play in a tabletop game is sort of implied, no one has all day to sit there and roll dice. Adapting this as a hard auto-fail time limit on a single player game--in a genre where such limits are virtually unheard of--is super drastic.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I wonder how custom portraits will interact with portraits that evolve with your mythic path. The generic Owlcat portraits were okay, but they tended to all be based around very specific and narrow builds or concepts.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I wonder how custom portraits will interact with portraits that evolve with your mythic path. The generic Owlcat portraits were okay, but they tended to all be based around very specific and narrow builds or concepts.

That's easy. You have a custom portrait the first half of the game, after the mythic path you get another, which is the same for everyone and you can't change it, based on the mythic path and I guess gender.

frajaq

Erudite
speaking of portraits does anyone else have extreme portrait autism where your character concept has to fit REALLY well into it or you become really bothered with and want to reroll (or search hard for something that fits)?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah that's me. I have a whole folder of monk portraits.
Share. Somehow. Now, preferably.
Sure, why not.
Aasimar monk:
kYMMVKT.jpg
NjJH4eA.jpg

Human monk:
qWa9bS2.jpg
Q9wHZgu.jpg
ZAkwW2e.jpg
tspRC7o.jpg
CldIZi6.png
MOm6ZCW.jpg
HIfTjn1.jpg
XM3iAhJ.jpg
4rdROHM.jpg

Half-elf monk:
yBP68q0.jpg
8JTCfdq.png
cysfIpL.jpg

Tiefling monk:
FZPbM6e.jpg
Ro26EKO.jpg
ASHkhNh.jpg

Swarms monk:
sNOAB0t.jpg

Delterius

Arcane
Imagine a world where you only have generic seeming head portraits with no full body to make you think twice about wether the dude with a greatsword looks like a monk but in turn they all change according to mythic paths somehow.

Sharpedge

Prophet

It doesn't have time limits. Owlcat "interpreted" the instructions to the DM to nudge the game along as hard time limits. That's like suggesting a game last no more than an hour, and interpreting that as killing any player left after an hour has passed.

Speed of play in a tabletop game is sort of implied, no one has all day to sit there and roll dice. Adapting this as a hard auto-fail time limit on a single player game--in a genre where such limits are virtually unheard of--is super drastic.
Whether or not the table top game has enforced time limits does not particularly interest me. But what I can do, is I can look at the campaign and ask myself the question, "in this campaign, does a time limit make sense?" Does it help the narrative, is it a useful tool. So, lets do that. We have a campaign, based around a "curse" which is causing things to go wrong until it is dealt with. It makes sense, from a storytelling perspective, that if you don't decide to deal with it, things will keep going wrong, right? This is a narrative that is basically screaming, "the house is burning down, put out the fire before we lose it." So it makes sense that if the player decides to go for a picnic instead of putting out the fire, that the house burns down.

Could it have been implemented better? Absolutely. +1 unrest is not much of an engaging mechanic, the kingdom side of things could have been tied in much better if kingdom events more often resulted in direct consequences in world. Delay when the trolls are invading, well, the trolls just took over Oleg's trading post, they set up a bridge going over the building and are charging a toll for anyone who is going past. You need to now go and evict the squatters. Delay too much in act 5? 1 of your regions revolts and you need to either convince them to rejoin or crush them under your heels. If the text of kingdom fluff actually tied into gameplay in some way and allowed you to deal with the consequences (up to a point) it would have been a much more interesting mechanic. I don't think it is fair to criticize owlcat for having timers in the game however, since there is a very strong argument for the fact that they tie in well to this narrative.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
All the babies in this thread crying about time limits. Oh no I missed out on an optional quest because I was fucking around trying to get in a tieflings pants! Oh no!

You know what was a real time limit? If that goddamn lantern ran out of juice you got eaten by a grue. That's a fucking time limit.

Gyor

Savant
Missed that since it's buried in the campaign description instead of a formal announcement. Hunter, Mesmerist and Investigator still top my most likely next classes, with Arcane Archer (+Deadeye Devotee archetype), and Battle Herald (and maybe Mammoth Rider) prestige classes on top of the confirmed Hellknight duo.

5 archetypes per class is going to be pretty hard for some classes. Wizard for instance needs to include something that's not really an archetype (elemental schools), stupid or stupidly broken (FF version of Pact Wizard) to reach it. Cleric is even worse (Evangalist is obvious, but the 5th slot is choice between a bunch of garbage).

Well they have one new Wizard Archetype admitted to in a stream I think, I forgot what its called but it adds features from the Arcanist Class to the Wizard. As for the fifth if they can't find an archetype they like they will likely create their own, like they did for the Witch (a Charisma based Archetype inspired by the Children's Cruasade some how).

Its Sorcerer that will be the hardest to find two more Archetypes for, none of them really fit this game at all or are too uninteresting, although with Dhampyrs in the game Sanguine Bloodline is possible. Still I think two new Sorcerer Archetypes will created.

If they allow Great Old Ones as Gods, then that weird Lovecraftian Charisma caster based Archetype is a possiblity.

Exploiter Wizard was the obvious 4th with Arcanist in. The fifth that's a problem. Kinetist is even more of an issue without dipping into 3rd party stuff (which they should, that class got a lot of nice support official content never gave it and its all OGL so the only cost is including something in the PDFs that come with the game) since it has so few archetypes, none of the remaining ones are any good and many of them simply can't be done in a video game.

They confirmed a custom Witch archetype? Where was this confirmed? I know there's a pnp charisma witch, Seducer, but it's a really weird one to use because half its new features have to determine if something could be sexually attracted to the caster.

The new Witch Archetype was discussed in a Dev stream.

Overwhelming Soul the Charisma Kinetist Archetype was announced somewhere.

In the comments section of the Kickstarter they hinted that although the game is 1e, they might choose to adapt some 2e stuff, given that 2e style backgrounds were publicly announced, my suspicion was that it would be somekind of 2e Archetypes or something simular. Like maybe Sorcerer Archetypes that use the Druid or Cleric Spell lists instead of the Wizard Spell list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom